KARA MV Individual Screentime Statistics [Updated June 13, 2011]

geop

geop

interesing isn't it?? haha

a pretty fun one indeed xD

cole totally owned the lupin..

i feel sad bout gyul. the original member dominating the early MV..

while after a while, gyul pushed back very hard :( i want her to get more spotlight..

but 2009-2010 indeed HaNi's time to shine though..

while gyul got her momentum in later half of 2010..

seungyeon still there without much difference, she is still popular.. not the most, but not the least either..

while jing are struglling too.. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geop, this is pretty amazing to see the breakdown of frames.

I think in Nicole's case, she sings and raps so she would get more of the screentime. I think that makes sense.

But over all, it's good to see that not one person has the most screentime in all of the songs.

Oh, and I've updated the first post with Good Day: Season 2 and Honey.

These first 4 KARA5 MVs liked having scenes with only the original 3 on-screen. It's weird. :s

GyulHamCole together on-screen? Oooh. Well, since I am GyulHamCole biased, this fact actually is interesting for me. >_< Maybe they have chemistry. :D

@_@ I actually thought Ham would get the most screen time in Honey because when I think of Honey, all I remember is Ham. @_@ So I was wrong. Maybe it was just her vocals.

@curbow yeah, Lupin was quite crazy for Nicole.. I just kept running into more and more and more Cole scenes; I almost couldn't believe it. 0_0

well, as long as Gyul gets her momentum back. because it's pretty disappointing to see it decline like this...

@mae very true. other groups (*cough**cough*snsd*cough**cough*) have most of their MVs being led by a small number of members.

@KaiserKawaii It might just be the spacing of the screentime. I think a lot of Cole's screentime is concentrated near the middle of the MV (she had, like, 400 frames in a row that counted for her), while Ham's screentime is more spread out throughout the entire MV. That's why it might feel like Ham has more screentime.

Edited by geop

I didn't want to double post, but I think this bump is important enough... @_@

Updated first post with We're With You, Mister, and 2Me.

Gyuri is indeed picking her momentum back up.

Just need to get through the Jumping MVs and Jet Coaster Love and I should be done...

/bump

Edited by geop

don't worry much. double posting are allowed as long as it's for something "valuable" lol

2 more MV's.. anticipating it..

maybe u can use jumping with both version..

the total statistic is pretty interesting for me..

imo, kara's line distribution are really bad.. although their labelmate ss501 got pretty decent line distribution.

but never expected about mv scene distribution. i'm still happy with the total score so far :)

and yep, just like what u said, every1 have their own MV to be owned. haha.

i want HARA's mv....

@gyuriftw

Grand Totals

y1Hk6.png: -> 540.49 seconds

bQvbR.png: -> 526.69 seconds

nPb7q.png: -> 521.47 seconds

ANRGd.png: -> 459.98 seconds

emOhM.png: -> 459.51 seconds

qQsMJ.png: -> 432.30 seconds

92enG.png: -> 399.52 seconds

RTqw7.png: -> 392.00 seconds

v25Ip.png: -> 354.29 seconds

There are currently 22 SNSD MVs, so the differences just kept on growing with each MV until it got really, really big.

Nah, I haven't done it for any other groups. If I ever fall in love with another group, then I will, but I've only been into SNSD and KARA since, like, October 2010.

@curbow

alrighty~

yeah, I'm going to be doing 3 versions of Jumping (Japanese, Smart Sports, Korean), so 4 more MVs to go.

yeah, I don't know what's up with the line distribution. :/ it's kind of disappointing.

[edit] updated first post with 3 Jumping MVs and Jet Coaster Love. phew.

Edited by geop

wow..the statistic for snsd a little bit scary xD

seungyeon dominating the scene for the last 4 o.O

but the grand total is satisfying for me, only 1 minutes apart from the 1st place to the last place from 14 MVs?? good job DSP.

btw, can i have a request??

the JCL's close up ver :P

about the line distribution, it's kinda a common thing though. although it does work. and for general opinion, GoolJing still need to work their technique more in singing.

although i'm still disappointed. and to make it worse, KARA is the type of group that sang the chorus of the songs together, it will naturally make solo lines less too. if only they started to change it, i believed they will have better line distribution.

@curbow snsd stats are scary? hahah, I guess so.

Yeah, Seungyeon really exploded there, but Jet Coaster Love is reeeaaaally balanced.

Who knows. Maybe they'll get a song where the chorus isn't sung as a group.

Like, SNSD's song, Visual Dreams, has none of the 3 main vocalists (Taeyeon, Jessica, Tiffany) singing the chorus, which allows all the other members to get a lot of lines in since they take turns singing lines from the chorus (some of them end up with more lines than the main vocalists :o).

So yeah. It'd be nice if KARA got a song like that. @_@

Oh yeah, sure. If I knew there was a close-up version of JCL, I would have done it. I watched it just now; it's pretty cool. :o

yeah this is interesting.. for the average, it wasn't much a big difference. since they only have 5 members, they can actually divide it more fairly. unlike for SNSD, it's hard to give longer solo parts because they are 9, and I think producers and staff have favorites. hehe. imagine also Super Junior when they were 13. Seungyeon has the most screen time!!! =)

From KARA4 to KARA5, obviously it was Seungyeon who dominated the screen of KARA MVs.. This is good for KARA because based on the statistics, the difference between Seungyeon's and Jiyoung's screen time were not that big. It was fair enough I think.. Unlike SNSD's Jessica and Hyoyeon. Goodness..

geop

sorry,it's better not to make discussion about the other group longer here xD

and yep, that is my wish too, to have kara a song like that. although it will be less likely, as long as they want to retain their concept and the producer of the songs is the same too. but who knows what might happen? :P

in addition of close up ver, there are dance ver too. haha

if i'm correct, cole got the most screen time while hara or gyul got the least.

Wow this is amazing. This must have taken a long time to analyze and collect data but I'm sure it was enjoyable too :D Thanks geop for making and sharing this stats here and I'm happy to see that the discrepancy between each members are not that big of a gap. Looking forward to future updates maybe then it will even up for all members we shall see.....

@curbow

haha, yeah, even I thought I was talking about them too much.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about if I want to do the dance version. I likely will, since you mentioned it, but I've usually avoided dance versions of MVs.

@wolfthemask

indeed~ Lupin had so much cole. D:

@graszny

glad you found it interesting~

you can count on future updates, for sure.

@KaiserKawaii

I can do a re-count if you'd like~

I'm totally prone to making mistakes.

Awesome data collection! Thanks for the hard work.

Through out KARA's history, I always thought their choreographers deserved a lot of credit. In a five member group, during a dance routine, it's natural to have one member at the center but they do a great job rotating all the members around through out the song; every few seconds, a new member takes the center spot.

I'm sure it's just as difficult for their MV directors to distribute face time but, from the looks of your stats, they do a pretty good job.

Edited by brileela

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read XD

good job there.

but Jing might remain at the bottom for at least a while, cos GyulHamCole has a lot of lines (so that will translate into more screentime) and with Hara's solid popularity in both Japan and Korea, she's guaranteed additional spotlight. So all this would leave Jing with less screentime, i guess :(

but oh well who cares Kamilias still love Jing lots anyways <3

Sica has the most screentime in SNSD? i thought the top spot would either go to Yoona or Taeyeon lol. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I love statistics! yeah, lol, I know, i'm a nerd! :P But anyways... I really appreciate your work here. It's cool to see that there isn't to much of a gap. I love how all the videos are broken down and everything. Keep up the hard work! FIGHTING!

Off-tpoic, is there a link to your work for the SNSD screentime work you have? i'd love to se it, too!

Edited by VVVACCPLPNLY

Long post: Be Warned

I'm not really surprised at the results and I'm happy with the distribution of screen time, even for JiYoung and here is why:

Seungyeon: One of/the most, pushed member(s) of Kara whether it be in MV's on on Variety shows because of her pure "idol image". I think that management has always wanted that image for Kara and because Seungyeon embodies it, she is the most pushed member and subsequent "center" of Kara. Seungyeon is both naturally popular and fandom popular among kamilia and the general public; this combination of natural popularity and fandom popularity and having the overall image of what Kara should be/is, means that it is important that she is seen a lot in MV's. Both the fandom and the general public want to see the "center" and "embodiment" of Kara, so it's a no-brainer that Seungyeon would have, overall the most screen-time.

Hara: Doesn't need the screen-time, VERY "naturally popular". There is the expectation that she will get the most screen time. Her shots tend to be spread out but she tends to be center for dances, so it looks like she has a lot of screen-time. Because Hara is so naturally/fandom popular without having lots of screen-time/lines there is no need to push her; her position as most popular member/face of Kara is solidified. But as the "face" of the group Hara has to be seen, so editing and formation tricks like putting her in center, reenforces her position as the "face" of the group and keeps her fans/general public happy as it makes it seem like she appears in the MV a lot, however lowering her amount of solo and focused shots helps keep the stats more even and balanced.

Nicole: not as pushed as Seungyeon or naturally/fandom popular as Hara, so it is important to push her so her fans won't feel slighted, the general public likes Nicole a lot too and want to see her. Nicole tends to have one big cluster of shots so it seems like there isn't much of her in the MV. Those clusters solidify her position as Kara's "floater": not the "center" and not the "face" but having the ability to be if needed. I think this is a good position for nicole; it reflects her abilities and gives her promotion without the back-lash that Hara and Seungyeon get; no-one dislikes Nicole, and compared to the more popular Hara and Seungyeon people don't find obscure reasons to not like her which is good for Kara, people who only support Nicole may still buy the CD after being satisfied by her screen-time in the MV.

Gyuri: struggles with popularity in the group, but often has the most lines of the song counting adlibs. Gyuri isn't naturally popular, she also isn't fandom popular either. Now don't get me wrong, Gyuri is still hugely popular, but in terms of the other members, Gyuri lags behind. She isn't pushed in MV's either. There is no reason to push her. Gyuri is the leader of Kara and so subsequently people in the fandom know her, they jut don't feel as if they HAVE to see her. The only push Gyuri receives is the occasional center in a formation and the center spot in most Kara pictures. Gyuri is 3rd on average simply because of the amount of lines she has. If she didn't have so many lines, I'm positive that unfortunately Gyuri would be in JiYoungs position which I wouldn't be ok with because then the balance would be thrown off.

JiYoung: I'm ok with her position because I think JiYoung is headed toward Hara type popularity- no push needed. JiYoung is more popular than what people think, and soon enough she will be challenging Nicole for that third place spot; she might even take it from her. JiYoung is naturally popular. She has some really dedicated and hardcore fans and her position as the cute maknae makes her very fandom popular-people like to see her grow up and mature as she transform from kid to woman. I feel like Jiyoung will start to become more and more popular on her own like Hara, she already managed to be ahead of Gyuri without lots of screen time or solo lines in songs. She won't be the face or the center but she will definitely challenge Nicole for third.

@GooBurberrHara

Ooh, an analysis. I feel like I learned a lot~

Very nice. Very informative. Thanks for that!

Added Jet Coaster Love (Close-up ver.)

With this PV added,

45cHi.png moved above xYoya.png in terms of TOTAL SOLO screentime.

oPHbr.png moved above cnHDV.png in terms of TOTAL SOLO screentime.

45cHi.png moved above xYoya.png in terms of GRAND TOTAL screentime.

Edited by geop