Kara's future sound

Dicetrain

I think their new songs definitely have more of a jpop sound, but they have the same composers that they have had since Rock U. Do you think this is just the composers trying to better suit the songs to Japan, or will their next Korean promotions have a different flavor to them? I think their Korean albums have been very consistent in style and quality, so it is interesting to see some significant stylistic shifts in their Japanese singles.

Taken from newsbox:

According to KARA: " We are going to be back better and currently we are in the process of choosing songs that are going to be in the upcoming album. We are hoping to work with more song producers."

Most likely they're going to work with various song composers/producers for their next Korean release, so I guess we can expect a different sound from KARA in the near future~ ^^

But I don't think there'll be any "significant stylistic shifts in their Japanese singles" though - it's obvious that KARA's trying to fit the market and currently "kawaii" is the in-thing in Japan

Edited by MizuiroKaze13

• 3 weeks later...

I really think they should try to work with different composers and stuff. If they don't comeback with something new I think casual fans may lose interest in them. These days there are many girl groups who have similar sound and image to KARA. I know KARA is the biggest girl group in Korea after SNSD but still other girl groups have really started to develop themselves during KARA's Hiatus.

For me the songs they have been releasing after Lupin simply do not interest me. Jumping was too repetitive for me and the song didn't really showcase any of the girls talent. It was a mediocre song with mediocre choreography and mediocre lyrics. I won't say anything about JCL and GGS as they were for Japanese taste however I did like 'Ima okuritai arigatou'.

If they comeback with their usual composers with something like JCL and GGS in Korea, it will be a flop. I mean hardcore fans like us will still enjoy it, but generally it won't do any good in Korea. Gyuri and seungyeon are both 23 year olds, Nicole and Hara are in their 20's now and Jiyoung has grown a LOT! Along with them we the fans have grown as well and our music preferences have differed too. So I think its the best if they comeback with a mature sound and image.

Currently the trend these days is electro and autotune, however I want Kara to break that trend and create their own unique sound. Thats why I think its VERY important they work with different composers.

Kang Ji Young did say she wanted to try the 'sexy concept' since they didn't do it yet?...Hmmm I wonder how it'll turn out. But got their next comeback I want them to give out a song that is addicting and something that showcase their talents.

to break away with a new trend or to stick with the present? to change it all together or gradually?

imo kara has been around for 4 years now, it's time for our girls to decide on what they want and work towards it.

dsp should listen and provide them all the resources.

at least at the end of the days, we (dsp, kara & kamilia) can say gratefully and without regret that we tried.

who knows we won't create the next trend?

I think in terms of their image, it would be cool if they revisited the sexy/mature concept. Like ForeverKamilia said, all of them are really maturing/getting older, so I don't think they would be able to hold the cute image up for a very extended period of time. I mean, if you compare JCL and GGS to say, Lupin (even if it's in a different language), in terms of their image, they've sort of gone back to the "cute" image with JCL and GGS, but not as "cute" as say, Pretty Girl. Either way, this thread was supposed to be sound, I think it'd be cool if they did something similar to the "Revolution" album.

I think KARA know what they have to. That Korea and japan have two different taste in music. I don't think KARA is going to stick to cute song(pretty girl, honey)I think they are going to go down a different path. I think the girls know that they have to stick with song like(lupin and mister)in Korea. But in Japan they can do the kawaii thing all they want, because the japanese people love that. It also good that the girls are work with different composers, maybe they would work with same composer who wrote break it. The girls know what they have to do, I think KARA would have like best of both world, they would be able to stay with kawaii thing just in japan, and they can go for mature style in Korea. The girls probably know that they have to go do mature style because if they think about when they release lupin, they probably knew how many people love that song, compare to all the other song that they had.

I'm agree with all here, especially ForeverKamilia, I love all their japanese song, all what they do I love it, but it's time for them to improve, to do something different, I especially think that DSP must show what the girls really got, I mean, we know that Gyuri can rap and the amazing Seungyeon's dancing skills, especially her popping, maknae Jing is developing her voice reaaaally well, so why don't they try a hip-hop style? I even support a rock style for the girls, I mean our maknae is learning to play guitar (and Hara isn't learning how to play the drums?), I really think that besides keeping the fierce and mature style as in Lupin, it's time for showing their skills! I really miss Nicole's rapping, is always so stylish, so why not trying a hip-hop style? or something fierce with our rappers? (Nicole and Gyuri) well... that's my opinion ^^

Edited by JungGabyRi

Well I was talking with some fellow Kamilia and we were thinking the same, that this upcoming Korean album will truly show if DSP has changed since the whole controversy or not. As many fans have speculated, former DSP groups left because they felt they couldn't move forward.. I agree. So I think they need to go with the Lupin route and really let the girls be involved in what they want to do so I was really pleased to hear KARA were looking to work with different producers. I hope that they will really highlight each member with their strongest points. I've thought in the past that the producers didn't really think too much about KARA's singing, in terms of style, where it's so high it's not flattering at all.

On KARA's future sound, I think the Korean market has to have changes drastically on every concept they release. Of course the girls are musicians so they have their own preferences in music. As for the Japanese market, no need to since they already sport the J-Popish style since debut. Whatever music they do, be it any genre, I would gladly listen to this Sweet Melody.

I don't know. I wouldn't go tooo hip-hop flavored. Their voices just aren't suited to that style. And, not to bag on any blackjacks here, but look at 2ne1's promotions right now with "I'm the Best." I think that song's electro/hiphop but, they aren't winning music pros with that song yet (maybe after 2pm's promotions end?). But, I don't know, hip-hop might be rather left field if we want them to transition away from their current concept. And the recent girl groups whose songs are popular right now, secret's "starlight moonlight" concept or apink's or girl's day's concepts are all rather cutesy (but it's popular!).

I'm definitely looking for some growth in the femme fatale/strong charisma concept they've left off with Lupin promotions. Anyways, anticipating their comeback!

I don't really know what concept or image that KARA should come back with, except it should be something more matured. So surprise me :D.

What I do want is for KARA5 to be able to come back to singing like this or even better :thumbup:

I don't know. I wouldn't go tooo hip-hop flavored. Their voices just aren't suited to that style. And, not to bag on any blackjacks here, but look at 2ne1's promotions right now with "I'm the Best." I think that song's electro/hiphop but, they aren't winning music pros with that song yet (maybe after 2pm's promotions end?). But, I don't know, hip-hop might be rather left field if we want them to transition away from their current concept. And the recent girl groups whose songs are popular right now, secret's "starlight moonlight" concept or apink's or girl's day's concepts are all rather cutesy (but it's popular!).

I'm definitely looking for some growth in the femme fatale/strong charisma concept they've left off with Lupin promotions. Anyways, anticipating their comeback!

I agree, going too "hip-hop" or "r&b" wouldn't be good for them because not only does it not fit their voices, it doesn't fit their image either. Kara has an image from what I have seen and heard as the "prettiest" overall girl group and a very feminine girl group who are cute and sexy at the same time. IMO something similar in style to Lupin (strong sounds, more complex choreography) or Lee Hyori's U-Go-Girl (strong sounds, cute but interesting and strong choreography) or SNSD's Genie (strong sound, sexy but cute concept, good ability for some great choreography) would be a step in the right direction for them. Kara need to embrace the feminine image that they have, they will never stop being cute which is something that I think most fans agree on, but at the same time, no-one wants to see a 23 year old pretending to be a 15 year old...if Kara keep up the lupin image but just amp it up a bit more, they will be good to go. I can see them working with a song like U go girl and hopefully they can too. If we are talking about vocal prowess I really think they have never had songs that really go into vocal prowess, but they need to start showing that they do have the ability to sing more than people think but at the same time, they need to keep it in their range and really just improve on that instead of trying to push themselves to heights its impossible for their voices to reach. I really want to see Kara looking crisp and sharp and fierce and really bringing it with a good strong song when they comeback. I hope everyone is working on everything, Hara her vocals and Gyuri and Jiyoung with their dancing. Alot of girl groups are coming out with the cute concept but Kara needs to separate themselves from that, they are a senior group and they need to come out with a song and choreography and vocal strength that proves it. I want this comeback song to have a winning streak to rival "gee" which can only happen if the song is a good strong song that captures peoples interest and is performed to perfection. I want Kara to start catching up more and more in Korea (in terms of album sales and big endorsements), so that people will stop brushing them aside and placing them in the 2nd tier girl-group section when they aren't a second tier girl-group (like you said 2NE1 isn't winning much, and they haven't been for the past two promotions and yet people are still putting them before Kara) and hopefully their new sound will allow them to do that.

I'm still hoping for a song like 'Honey' as their next title track. Something sweet and angelic, which IMO KARA does better than anyone else. The only song in that style KARA has done recently was Ima Okuritai Arigatou. Dance songs are great and all, but they've done that 3 times in a row so for me a sweet and heart melting tune would do just the trick.

I agree with people here, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that KARA need to step out of the current image and sound. :tongue:

I'm posting this video because I think people have forgotten how much KARA had to change and transform both visually and musically in order to adapt to their current image. Therefore I don't think it will be very hard if they went back to this kind of image and sound.

This is also one of my favorite covers done by KARA. Although Jiyoung and Hara are not in this video, this video proves Nicole, Gyuri and Seungyeons skills. I think people often think KARA can only sing sweet and cute songs, but I think Nicole's voice can be very mature and can be suited for BIG songs. Gyuri can be so dead precise in her notes and Seungyeon's voice stabilizes the chorus and blends all the voices rather smoothly.

As for Jiyoung her voice has matured and improved so much, I personally think jiyoung has the best quality of voice in KARA. And Hara needs to take some serious vocal lessons because she is the only one I'm concerned about vocally. Nevertheless, I think Hara's voice is really cute, her voice is kind of like Yozoh. Yozoh's songs will really suit Hara's voice. :thumbup:

And as for Hip-Hop sound that some people are suggesting, I'm not sure. I mean Kara are versatile but Hip-Hop is not a genre that can be pulled off by a Pop group. Nicole's 'rap' isn't exactly rap. Gyuri is a far better rapper for me (already one year cover). Even 2ne1 and Big Bang cannot be classified as hip hop group. Hip-hop and dance pop group simply cannot be put together.

weeeell... after watching both covers, I think you're right, even if I thought that KARA should try a hip-hop concept, I think that it's a little too agressive for the girls right now, because not all the voices are solid, for example Hara's, I'm totally agree with ForeverKamilia again, she really has to take some vocal lessons because if she doesn't improve her voice soon, she will limit the girls of doing or trying other concepts, I considered a dance track for the next one, but it will be too repetitive.

Also I think that the girls should go back to the first days' sound, their voices really compliment each other and I'm not only talking about Nicole, Gyuri and Seungyeon, just by watching this cover you can see that they can make it. Hara's soft voice is really great here

But also I'm still thinking that Gyuri should start rapping now, because she's great! I'm still debating with myself between 'showing skills' and 'group sound' ,well... let's just wait to see what the girls have for us, I'm glad that they're working with different producers so, they can try different things ^^ one step at time

Edited by JungGabyRi

lol at everyone posting KARA's covers. But it does show that KARA can do many types of songs. It will all boil down to whether they can find the correct song (regardless of genre) that allows their voices to shine and also compliment each other to the max.

Edited by grainy

• 3 months later...

I think part of the reason for KARA5's success is how they've managed to retain their core sound in spite of the various concepts they've gone through. This 'Kara sound' suits their soft harmonies and youthful countenances best, and for the group to stray too far from that (as SNSD did earlier this year - but that's a topic for another thread) would inhibit their success in the future. KARA5 may have been unoriginal from the beginning as many have pointed out, but it was this 'generic' style that made them popular, much more so than KARA4's original R&B sound (much to my disappointment, being a KARA4 fan - though I suppose I can only be happy for KARA5's success today).

That being said, I've heard of Nicole's violin skills but have never witnessed them. Perhaps something along the lines of Celtic Woman's M

• 6 months later...

I'm glad that this post started off with what I kind of though, myself, That the latest singles have had a REAL "J-Pop" sound to them, especially "Winter Magic", and I have to say that the first time I heard Speed Up, I thought it was a PERFUME song! Hope them get back to the more cutting-edge kind of music they'd been releasing before...

• 2 weeks later...

I think in some of their recent songs like Speed up is more suited for j-pop but i think they just sorta changed their voices a bit too much maybe change it here and there but not the whole song...i like listening to their real voices more

Edited by Yoonbot9

I think it's reasonable for them to sound more "J-Pop" for their current album, as they are actively promoting in Japan. But, i also agree that they need to "make-up" their songs. For me, i think they should try some ballad ,like "ima okuritai" or "missing", as their title track . In my point of view, Gyuri's voice give a "feminine and elegant yet cute" image, Seungyeon and Jiyoung are "soft and sweet", Nicole is "cute and strong" and Hara is "deep". Taking these into account, i think ballad is pretty suitable for them. It can also serve as a refreshment, seeing all their recent song are kinda upbeat and all.

On the other notes, i think KARA will be fine as they are now. Just like Fallen42 said, i think the thing that differs KARA from the other group is their "Sound". I don't know how to explain this, but KARA and their songs seems to have more chemistry than the other groups, and that's exactly why i really love their songs (thx to sweet tunes i guess). Well, anyway hope that KARA will get the best in their future album!

I think in some of their recent songs like Speed up is more suited for j-pop but i think they just sorta changed their voices a bit too much maybe change it here and there but not the whole song...i like listening to their real voices more

That's true, but I think the whole jpop change may have been for the better. faster and catchier songs? i like