[2009.01.08] The popular girl group, Kara, wants to achieve the Number one spot

chupachups

7105565.1.jpg

• “We want to reach the number one spot in the new year”

From their new album, ‘Pretty Girl’, the girl group Kara is experiencing an immense popularity.

Their teaser music video got 50,000 views in the matter of 12 hours from its release, and they have were able to become one of the most searched on the internet many times.

With the rubber glove cheering, Kara’s fan showed a different side of the fan world. Kara’s ‘Pretty Girl’ also has been getting a lot of attention as well as their fashion.

Even though they have gained a lot of popularity, there was once a time when the group could have just disbanded after releasing only one album. After the departure of the former member, Kim Sung Hee, Kara started looking for new members to join the group. Even after auditioning 5000 different people, they could not find the right person to fill in the gap and the future was looking bleak for them.

The member started to worry a lot thinking that Kara would just vanish. But, soon after their desperate search for the new members, two new members were added in to the group.

Unlike the slow processes of auditions, the recording for their new album was able to be carried out immediately. Kara came back to the entertainment world with ‘Rock U’ last summer, and with ‘Pretty Girl’, they are now regarded as one of the top class singers in the business.

“We went through a lot before releasing our Rock U album. There was a lot of pressure on the group after receiving so much interest on the member swap and also, we thought that the group would disband if we fail to gain a lot of popularity again.”

At the end of the year 2007, Han Seung Yeon felt distressed after watching SNSD and Wonder Girls’ performance at the end of the year music festivals. This was right after the departure of Kim Sung Hee.

“I cried a lot after Sung Hee left the group. I was asking myself why we weren’t on the stage while watching SNSD and Wonder Girls’ performance at the end of the year music festival. I felt even more distressed when I finally accepted that I could not have been on the stage.”

You can measure a celebrity’s popularity with their schedule. When Kara was about to end their “Break It” promotion, in some weeks, they would only have one event scheduled.

But, now, their schedule is so filled that they are not even getting enough time to sleep. Though they grabbed the people’s attention with their catchy melody, they have also gained interest from the people with their maturity.

“I think that we have produced the songs that the people were expecting, and, also that our style is prettier than before. If the previous album, ‘Rock U’, was to appeal the middle school audience, the ‘Pretty Girl’ album was made to appeal to the high school and college audience. I think those are the times when girls start to worry about how they look, so that’s why ‘Pretty Girl’ was able to appeal to them.” (Park Gyuri)

Kara had an intention of showing their maturity through the new album. Through this, they were also able to gain fans who are in their 30s.

“We weren’t trying to always show the perfect image, but a comfortable and truthful image. And, I think that is why we have been getting so much attention. Year 2008 was a very complicated year for Kara with both bad and good events. We wish that only good things happen in the New Year. We really want to achieve the number one spot in the new year.”

Link: donga.com
Translated by Hopelesshong @ KARAholic
Take out with full credits, do not add in or remove anything.

It's really sad to hear that the girls had to went to a stage of fear of being disband and discouragement...

I'm really happy that they make it and everthing is being paid off with their hard work

no wonder Seungyeon wouldn't let out any opportunity of letting things on her schedule.

KARA will sure go on top, seeing the different from before and now, the girls can do it

HWAITING!!!~ XD

thank you for the translation

I'm sure all of them cried when Sunghee left and to read how disappointed they were in 2007...

2007 & 2008 is like the a mixture of good and bad for them and also for Kamilia.

i'm glad the girls decide to hold on strong and strive for one more time. their fanbase may not be as big, but we know that true Kamilians will always stay rooting for them right?

i dont know...i blame 2007 on DSP. :whistling: if they had promoted Kara the way they are doing to them now, Kara then will probably be as popular as Kara now. And i honestly believe that if that was the way, Sunghee's dad will probably close an eye on her results and let her continue to be in Kara.

BUT, the past is history.

i'm glad, out of the 5000 people, JiRa were chosen. Vocals wise, there are still lacking behind, but they've been showing rapid improvements and i believe in them! wooots!

Kara never disappoints me. But DSP did.

thanks for translating Peter!

After Sunghee left and there was like no news about them/activities for a long time, I was afraid they were going to disband too. Since it's common for groups who don't do really well the first time to disband, I was really shocked when they made a comeback. I was hoping and praying they would continue on, but I didn't want to get my hopes up to have them crushed.

I don't completely blame DSP. Yeah, their promotion in the beginning wa nowhere near as good as it is now, but I also think if the girls had made a greater buzz during their debut, they would have had the level of popularity as other girl groups earlier. I don't blame Kara for that. They always performed wonderfully, but the people just wasn't feeling them. But anne is right. The past is the past and 2007 just made them stronger people and even more focused and hardworking.

they are now regarded as one of the top class singers in the business.

<3

The girls have suffered enough, it`s time lucks smiled to them! they don`t lack talents or any character to become a well-known group. Blooming was so good, it was just not the taste of majority of korean audiences these days . awesome, Pretty Girls promotion is running smoothly. 2008 began with gloomy & teary days but happily they had chances to end it in brighter colors! i`m so looking forward to their activities in 2009! kara jjang hwaiting!!!

thanks for translating peter! <333

oh it's really sad to hear what seungyeon said.. but i found it kinda comforting that even if there was only a little group of us.. we also felt distressed when they were continually left out..

and i remember dec 2007.. a bunch of us were so mad as well...

we probably all felt really sad too when sunghee left.. i did...

i know those of us that followed them looking for new members.. we knew something was really not going right.. but i'm glad DSP settled on a decision and it's working out greatly.. although i do have alot of expectations of JiRa... i know they still try their best :D

they have also gained interest from the people with their maturity.

I feel bad for Seungyeon, it must be hard on her seeing the girl groups that debutted with her at the same time performing but not her group. Poor girl...

But now, Kara has became stronger and will continue to be stronger and their popularity is rising like rocket!!

---Caroline

They really deserve the number one spot... they've worked hard this whole time and haven't given up, unlike a lot of other new groups that give up when their debut doesn't go so well. I think the future is bright for Kara, so they'll be getting the attention they deserve. I hope our girls win an award or two soon, and I'd like to see them start promoting a new song. :D

Kara indeed went through a lot...

Everyone was sad with Sunghee onni's departure...

And I'm so proud of GyulHamCole for staying strong and work hard for their dreams...

If Kamilia felt pain Kara didn't performed on any Gayo shows twice the pain for Kara...

And their reward has come for all their hardwork...XD

They deserve it...

Stay strong and Fighting always Kara ^^

Thank you for the translations Peter ^^

Im absolutely giving full applause and standing oviation for the former member.... They've been through a lot since their debut.. And their consistence are now proven by what KARA receipt now...

And so sad just to imagine how they all cry when sunghee left the group... Thx to Kamilian who always stand for them and show their loyalty toward KARA....

Wish all the best for KARA from now on till the end....

Jjang Jjang Jjang.....

awww. T-T i feel really bad cause i lost my interest when sunghee left, and i don't see much of them.. the saddest part is, they should've been performing on the stages as well, but they can't. but i'm happy inow that they're back, with 2 new members. :D thanks for the translation.

awww. so sad. i can imagine on how they cried when sunghee left the group. and yeah, the part when seungyeon distressed, it was so pity to hear it. i feel bad since i only know kara when hara and jiyoung enter the group.

and i feel major happy for them for being major famous nowadays! their Rock U and Pretty Girls are sure attractive! hehehe. and i hope next time Kara will be the number 1 contenders! *wish wish wish :D

when Sung hee left kara, I dont think there were news about the member's reactiong due to this. not until now I really felt the sadness in them. I still miss Sung Hee a lot after reading this.

I do wishes them the best and hope that they would win the number one spot. they totatlly deserves it. to another addiction, there are more girl group to debut this year.

Also I heard that DSP real owner is back so it wouldn't be long until they get no1.

I was really sad that they were home to watch the perfs. instead of attending it, neither could they perform on stage when WG and GG performed on the rookie stage. it was missing the Kara :D

The promotions of KAra was really tought for them in 2007, I dont think it was once where they got to be on SGB with Sung Hee or the manwon happiness

I got this horrible feeling when i saw the word disbanded..

kara has been through a tough year and im so glad they did not give up.

not only seungyeon but the other members must have been really down and upset about the departure of sunghee and not being able to gain popularity like the wonder girls and SNSD

but 2009 is a brand new year they have a wonderful year ahead of them.. and with the new members i am sure they are able to achieve the number one spot!!

GO KARA GO!!!!!

i think whatever happened in the past only made them - GyulHamCole - stronger. i know its easy to say that now, when everything turned out for the best.. i remember feeling so bad and upset when all these gayo shows were going crazy for WG and SNSD and KARA was nowhere to be found.. even though i liked both groups, there was a feeling of resentment, like it was unfair or something, because i knew perfectly well that KARA was just as talented and hard-working as them.. when they had that long break after secret world, i remember thinking that they might not come back again..

till now there is that momentary feeling of sadness, when people just brush aside KARA. but seeing how the girls have grown together and how genuinely happy they look, i am thankful that i fell in love with them in one of their bleakest year.

sorry for the long dramatic post. :)

thanks for the trans and article~

Year 2008 was a very complicated year for Kara with both bad and good events. We wish that only good things happen in the New Year. We really want to achieve the number one spot in the new year.

I had been looking forward to their second album.

Checking KaraBloom and Kara-Online for updates daily.

Then came the news of Sunghee's departure ):

It was a huge shock for me.

I must admit that I didn't cry.

I wasn't that attached yet.

But it did sadden me greatly...

All four members went through a difficult time.

But they had the strength to carry on.

Gyuri, Seungyeon and Nicole carried on.

It must have been really hard at first...

And Sunghee, I believe she's doing okay.

I hope to see her singing on the stage soon.

I wish all the best to Kara for the new year.

And I really hope that they'll get the top spot.

Awww, i know how they feel =) i remember watching all the

Award shows at the end of 2007 and how Kara wasn't there.

But i'm glad they had a chance to perform at the SBS Gayo.

I was extremely happy but I wished they performed at the

Golden Disk Awards too. Ahhh, i was so disappointed at last

Years MKMF Awards and this year I was disappointed again.

Hopefully this year they can land an award. I did cry, you could

See the sadness yet happiness in their eyes :D Come on Kara!

They're already no. 4 on the weekly chart, they can climb

To the top :) seeing them work hard is enough, Kara Jjang!

But, now, their schedule is so filled that they are not even getting enough time to sleep

oh dear. not getting time to sleep is...not a good thing.

but it means that they're promoting. arg arg arg. but let the girls rest!

wow i can't imagine the pressure that was put on them.

it must've been horrible :D

but now they're making top 10 on a TON of charts and stuff (:

kara hwaiting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...