[2009.01.08] Kara and Wonder Girls Have a Lot in Common...5-Member Group, Age Range, Similar Member-Changing Experiences

tinggg

003.jpg

Kara has a lot in common with a similar girl group, Wonder Girls.

For one, the fact that they have 5 members is the same. Also, like how Sunye/YeEun, Sohee/Sunmi are the same age, Kara's Gyuri/Seungyeon and Hara/Nicole are the same age. Coincidentally, the two groups both have an average age of 20 years old.

How they turned their member-switching crises into successes are also similar. Although Wonder Girls debuted in January 2007 with "Irony," they faced a crisis when the youngest, Hyun-ah left the group.

However, later that year, with the addition of new member Yoobin, they first created the "Tell Me" syndrome, then continued with hits such as "So Hot" and "Nobody," strengthening their positions as "the country's younger sisters."

Kara also debuted initially with 4 members in March of 2007, but at the end of that year, their main vocal Kim Sunghee left the group.

After 10 months of hiatus while finding new members, they finally came back with two members, Koo Hara and Kang Jiyoung, with successful songs like "Rock U" and "Pretty Girl," raising them into the ranks of top stars.

New member Koo Hara, who is gaining fame from her appearance that resembles Japan's "J-Pop Goddess" Namie Amuro, said "When I was chosen to be a new member of Kara, I thought to myself 'What if I don't do well?' which was quite a burden. But the songs were so good, and the concept matched perfectly, so we're receiving good feedback. I feel a lot more comforted now."

Link: http://www.donga.com/fbin/output?n=200901080233

Tip-Off: Anne

Translated by Tinggg @ KARAholic

Take out with Full Credits. Do not add in or remove anything.

I do feel that Kara and WG are alike, members changing, their music style. WG's irony can be compared to Kara's break it and then, they changed their music style to light hearted pop. There's so many things in common but they have their own style.

I like both groups~

---Caroline

but man..i can already feel the anti's :(

we Kamilians should'nt live in fear :D

the member change, the rise in popularity after the change, and 5 members, girl idol group..

what else do they have in common? lol..

KARA is a great group either way :(

the difference between them is that Kara went on hiatus for 10 months while WG managed to recruit a member and had a successful comeback on their same debut year.

WG had Tell Me to boost their position in Kpop even more, and Kara is still climbing their way up.

but its okay. :( DSP artists always take cute baby steps. :D

waah. both wonder girls and kara sure had a lot in common! pehehe. i didn't even realise it until this topic was out. hehehe. i just realised about the 5 member are common. hehehe. well, i like both groups by the way. hahaha. and hara, she did well in KARA. so she doesn't have to worry too much. :D

uh to correct it WG debuted in feb and then Kara in march.

they do have a lot in common.

Seung Yeon goes to the same uni as Ye Eun. They have classes next to each other.

Yoo Bin was a tomboy since young and Gyuri liked to dress up as a guy

both Sun Mi and Hara auditioned for JYP in the past.

This is a good article. I didn't realize the more detailed facts of their similarity until it was pointed out-- just the obvious where they both have 5 members. I love both groups. Am I asking too much to want them to have a special stage? Thanks for translating~! (:

I have always found similarities between KARA and Wonder Girls

5 members, change of style and get popular after losing a member, ages

and the most strange is that in both group it was my favorite member who left SungHee & Hyun Ah

wow i knew that they debuted at the same time and that both of them loosed a member xD

but that they were THAT similar...

this surprises me :3

but i don't think it's something bad xD

i even heard that they're kind of friends? so i think it's ok x3

thanks for the translation ♥

Wah I kinda noticed those similarities myself, but what I never realized was Hara's similarities to Namie Amuro!!! XD She's one of my favorite J-Pop singers! WOW! :D

Namie Amuro

namieamuro10ty3.jpg

Edited by Rondillo

since they have so much in common, it would only make sense that they should do a special stage together. pretty girl / nobody ... i can soooo picture them doing each other songs.

New member Koo Hara, who is gaining fame from her appearance that resembles Japan's "J-Pop Goddess" Namie Amuro

finally! I thought I was the only one who thought Hara looked like Namie, haha