[2011.10.19] Japanese 5th Single [Winter Magic]

sweetofuu

Though I was a little disappointed with the first day sales, thinking about it again there are a lot of factors that might have attributed to this outcome.

• A week previous to this release "STEP" was released
  • It's 2 months from Winter
  • Little Promotion
  • lots going on (Musical, Beauty Book, STEP, Rumored Album)

I'm not making excuses but I don't think we should jump to any conclusions on Japan being sick of the girls already or anything like that.

It's not always going to be a smooth road but that's what makes it that much sweeter when we do accomplish something. Also I think this is good for KARA and Kamilia, in a sense, because it keeps us grounded.

Still a ways away from being able to reach TVXQ and Boa status in Japan...no pain no gain. (I'm optimistic nonetheless)

*Hoping for better results for the weekly *

Edited by JJW

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the posts have calmed me down. I couldn't believe my eyes after seeing the Oricon chart. I thought maybe it wasn't the official record but pre-order number or something. But reading all the posts made me realize that it will be ok. We can't let this bring us down. Gotta keep encouraging them. They have gone through so much. This will be another way for them to grow.

Anyways, I ended up joining karaholic through this so I guess it can't be all bad.

Kamilias, let's just relax and enjoy KARA's music. If we overanalyze everything, we'll just worry for the wrong reasons. This is not the time to be disappointed or think of some other worse things like Japanese fans are already tired of KARA and such. Continue to be positive and have faith in our girls. I mean, this is nothing compared to their previous trials right. They were in a point where they are called economic idols with very low album sales but they still managed to get this far in the industry. They really work hard a lot so I believe they can make this through with better results. :thumbup:

I like this single a lot, maybe this single is a bit early. If it was november it would be better on the 1st day. But, maybe their company wants longevity for the single. I think "Winter Magic" will be on Oricon chart for a while, and CNBlue will disappear after like the 3rd week. KARA will be still strong selling.

I'm so happy *singing stay with me...* to be bother by the 1st day sale. I prefer to wait the end of week to see their weekly sales. Plus, daily ranking doesn't mean anything the important is the overall sales. It's better be at 4/5 ranking with good sale than to release something in a slow week and be 1st with almost 20k in the weekly.

Edited by Nanda

well I think it just shows that Kara still aren't yet to the popularity where they can release a ballad and have it sell really, really well. They still need to keep promoting and getting the Kara name out there. Also, as has been stated, winter magic is about 2 months too early but still, this isn't a horrible number and Kara has good consistency. Let's see how the week goes and we can take it from there.

I agree. This shows that Kara still has a long way to go. Their fanbase is still not very solid. They haven't come to the point where everything they release sells like hot cakes, regardless of its quality. But anyway I'll just wait to see how the single will do in the long run.

no need to panic yet

Kara is famous for the longevity. All Kara albums have at least reach the top 5 even with a ballad single. Thats something we have to be proud of as a Kamilia. The problem is not with the sales but how famous the song is to japanese. GGS did not do that good on the first week sales but at the end the song became a big hit. A lot of japanese was dancing and singing it. That what it counts.

I was surprised as much as I love the song. But seeing CNblue got 35k, I told myself Kara got at least 30k since they don't show sale for 4th position. 30k still a good number compare to other singles. When is their next appearance on Japan music program again? That might help increase the sale in the long run.

33,661 BUMP OF CHICKEN

17,009 KARA

16,951 NMB48

Acid Black Cherry

CNBLUE

KARA today is 2nd and CNBLUE 5th, daily ranking is not everything see? KARA came up and CNBLUE down. Korean Boybands are more front-loaded. And I read that the gap between, yesterday, KARA and CNBLUE was not that big like 2,000 copies only.

longevity has little value if the numbers are not high.

it isn't selling high as most predicted because it's too close with step release.

while people are still dancing to step, they just can't calm down and switch to wm.

there's risk factor but i would say it's a good gauge for future releases.

17k for 2nd day, it's considered high for me.

17k for the 2nd day isn't that bad at all, base on the sales of WM and the rumour about new album, clearly J-Kamilias believe that UMJ really gonna release "Super Girl", of course normal fan will wait to buy a full album contains 10+ songs rather than a single with just 2 songs :) Only hardcore fan would buy both single and album LOL

Edited by fantomas

See.. no need to panicJ-Kamilia fanbase is strong. It's the longevity that counts. But on the side notes, did nmb48 drop from 150K to 16K...Huge difference

48groups sales are always like that. I think what's important is their 1st day sales are so high it almost doesn't matter whether they have longevity or not.

longevity has little value if the numbers are not high.it isn't selling high as most predicted because it's too close with step release.while people are still dancing to step, they just can't calm down and switch to wm.there's risk factor but i would say it's a good gauge for future releases.17k for 2nd day, it's considered high for me.

This.

Oh well. Winter Magic is doing okay on digital charts right?

On the digital chart, KARA is defintley doing good. For ringtone the girls rank first and second, first for the WM close up, and second for the music box version. So the girls are defintley do well on the digital chart. We just had to have faith in the girls, so natually the girls were just going to come up. So the sell are around 60K, do you think this single would hit 100K in one week, I think it would be very close. I just glad that girls are doing well.

The sales of WM isn't to bad for their first ballad/mid-tempo single with minimal promotion. The interest of the public is still high as seen in the digital sales.

As for the high sales of x48, from what my friend told me before, they have a gimmick with their releases where there's a random chance to get an autograph of a member, so fans would buy multiple copies to find one that contains their bias.

The sales of WM isn't to bad for their first ballad/mid-tempo single with minimal promotion. The interest of the public is still high as seen in the digital sales.

As for the high sales of x48, from what my friend told me before, they have a gimmick with their releases where there's a random chance to get an autograph of a member, so fans would buy multiple copies to find one that contains their bias.

Actually, their most effective gimmick is to include random handshake meeting tickets inside the albums, so if you want to have a higher chance of getting the tickets, you have to buy a lot of albums. Not long ago, there was a japanese fan who bought like 1000 copies of the single just to have higher chance of getting the handshake meeting tickets...really insane.

PS: I just looked at the weather forecast for Japan and suddenly realised why this single is not selling...tokyo's temperature range is 17-23 degree celsius, what WINTER? haha

Edited by lordangelic

I'm sad that Winter Magic debuted so low, but I agree that it's probably more a matter of it being out of season/coming right before a rumored album, rather than Japan losing interest. From what I've seen, Japan actually normally adores ballads (especially seasonal ones), and they took a shining to KARA, so I expected it to do better... but releasing it in winter would have probably been a more effective move. :sweatdrop: Regardless, as has been said, longevity on the Oricon is a notable thing, so here's to hoping for a great weekly ranking! Daily charts aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

As for the competition, I like the 48 groups well enough (though I generally only pay attention to AKB), so I was bummed when I saw KARA had to compete with NMB. BUMP OF CHICKEN was bound to be worthy competition too, especially considering BOC's song is tied to a Final Fantasy video game <3 (and is a good song in general). It was a relatively tough week, so even if it doesn't look great on the charts, I think it's nice that they didn't shy away. Sometimes groups deliberately release on a slow week just to look better; although I don't think it lessens the accomplishment to do that, I think KARA (or their agency/label/whatever) was gutsy to some degree.

And the song itself...I really like it, even if it's not winter yet. I'm not normally into ballads/slow songs, but WM is really beautiful and managed to grab my interest from the get-go. The PV is sweet and magical too. I've loved every single one of their Japanese releases, so I'm glad this one was a hit for me too. I actually like it even more than the more upbeat Whisper, though I think Whisper is a lovely b-side.

^ i think it's being to over dramatic saying that DSP's ruing KARA's future because of one single;

Did CNBlue do any promotion?

19,537 BUMP OF CHICKEN

17,299 CNBLUE

*8,018 KARA

NMB48

Acid Black Cherry

L'Arc~en~Ciel

not that I'm upset, but I wish they don't surpass KARA on the weekly chart. I'm just saying as a big Kamilia

:ph34r:

Once again, like Korean version Mini4 Jumping in last year, stupid DSP released WM to ruin KARA's future.

be it karaholic or other forums, i always have a lot of respect to those posts made by this username.

i'm not sure what you meant here but i assume it isn't as bad as my first thought.

but if you disagree, please let me know so that i shall have no more reservations.

http://en.korea.com/blog/enter/k-pop/kara%E2%80%99s-fourth-japanese-single-%E2%80%9Cgo-go-summer%E2%80%9D-sets-a-remarkable-record/

happy news here, don't be too sad Kamilias, win some - lose some is a normal thing, we can't always get what we want right? Hope WM can atleast reach the 80k mark copies :X