[2011.09.06] Korean 3rd Album - Step

sweetofuu

I really believe that Step is a great performance, But judging from what I read here, they are still strugling in Korea. At the end of the day it is sales that makes the difference. I'm very happy they have Japan to go to. I just hope they continue putting a lot of energy in their presentations there.

This is just my opinion.

^ I don't think Step is "struggling" in Korea. Its digital sales are not that great, but they're not bad either, Step is like a moderate hit, which is fine with me. Their album sales are amazing, way more than what I'd expected. So Kara is still doing fine in Korea, as usual.

Kara always has been relatively weak in digital sales in Korea, so we don't have to be disappointed. Mister has no chart record at all, but it still was super popular. T-ara's go crazy because of you released a week after Lupin and it did better on the digital charts, but nobody thinks it was more popular than lupin. Digital charts matter because unlike album charts they show the popularity among the general public, but kara is one of a few exceptions who is still very well loved among the public despite mediocre digital sales. In SK, digital music is too cheap so people don't take it that seriously, so it's just as reliable as YT views. In youtube, Hyuna tops all other kpop artists, which doesn't make any sense at all. Digital sales are the same. Miss a topped last year and t-ara will become #1 this year. Are they that popular? Definetly no. Just wait and check this year's gallup poll. I'm sure Kara and step will rank very high just like they did with Mister and Lupin in 2009 and 2010. Untill then, we can still be happy with the amazing album sales.

haha, I think people confuse what is meant by "popular amongst the general public." It doesn't pertain to the group...if it did, then T-ara would be as popular as SNSD now, but they are not. When they say "popular amongst the general public" they mean the SONG, and NOT the group itself. Just because the song is liked more amongst the public, doesn't mean the groups as a whole is popular. That's why the US started using the term "1 hit wonder" to explain groups/people who had one really big and successful song, but never managed to capitalize on its success...T-ara isn't a 1-hit wonder, they have had plenty of good songs that, like you said, have sold digitally better than even Kara's biggest digital hit to-date, Lupin, but still Kara is more popular than T-ara. Because the public likes Kara, in an all-round manner; they purchase their songs digitally, they purchase the album physically and they support the things that Kara endorses.

Kara's popularity amongst the general public can be seen almost everyday in Korea. They are in magazines, in commercials and on signs and billboards advertising things....I said this before, but ONLY SNSD is more successful than Kara (in Korea) right now, no matter what anyone says. SNSD is the only group with more endorsements and physical sales from a steady and dedicated fan base. Having one song be popular doesn't automatically make you a star. STEP song, not KARA wasn't as liked by the public, but even still, it was a moderate hit, backed bye some very strong physical sales. Kara might not be digital monsters yet, but give them a bit more time. They are definitely making way in terms of popularity and support, from what I see, they are definitely second in terms of girl-groups in Korea. They just need a song that can really bring everyone out in terms of purchasing both physically AND digitally. Also I think with STEP, most Kamilia wanted Kara to have high album sales, and so they didn't really concentrate on the digital sales. Kara obviously has support as can be heard in the fan-chants and the crowded streets, when they went on their guerrilla date. I know people are sad about the digital sales, but they are really nothing to be ashamed of. People in AKP keep trying to bring them down and saying stuff like "expected them to do much better" like they did horribly and they didn't.

Kara is doing excellently both at home and abroad and people are just being jealous. At the end of the day, the battle for number one, still isn't over, and I hope we as Kamilia and Kara as five, never give up the dream of being number one because it CAN happen and we can make it happen, nothing is set in stone, and just because a mountain looks impossible to climb, it doesn't mean it is, their is ALWAYS a way. I have hope and faith in Kara that they can...when it's all over and done, go down in history as one of, if not THE BEST girl group that S.Korea had for their time period. They are already making some big waves....they just need to get a little bit bigger.

Well as the above said, Kara is still well received by the public as a group. I'm sure most people would not be interested in their title track, thus the moderate hit of Step in digital charts. But at least if it has longevity on the charts, it proves that they are one of the top groups in Korea.

hope they would just start a Step It Up concert tour after their contract in Japan expires/renewed.

I think their new contracts' condition will have them make a touring concert in Japan.

Hey guys! So for the GDA and end of the year awards, what are the chances of KARA getting awards because currently they have the highest selling korean girlgroup sales? And I heard SNSD's sales count might not be counted because its too late? Im not sure how award ceremonies usually work, but if anyone can help me that would be great since I am curious? Is there a girl group of the year award?

10 bonsang awards. 5 physical 5 digitals. top 5 sales for both get them with on final 2 daesangs going to top physical and top digital. YG never show up and you need to show up to get the award... so they are out of the running. We shall see. I heard they use hanteo instead of gaon. but i don't really know.

there's no male or female category in gda, it's difficult to win its daesang but step for the 1st kara bonsang is within reach.

we may understand why gda is still only considering hanteo but if every award is to base on gaon, it'll be fairer.

so the boycott from yg, i wholly understand.

fGWwa.jpg

WE2qK.jpg

Somehow I seem to have missed the fact that STEP was released in Japan 'officially.' 2 weeks in the top 10 for a foreign language CD is pretty good I think. I guess we can add this to the 100k tally for STEP in South Korea for a total of 130k+.

First, congrats to KARA&Kamilia, did you see STEP album being in TOP10 among boygroups in SK?

The top 10 album sales for this year(with the exception of KARA at 8th place) were all from boy groups.

and as what I saw, it did great in Japan too :thumbup:

and now.. gotta share some random thoughts..

1. I like how I never get tired of Kara's songs.. time passes but I still like STEP as if it's the first time I listen to it.. and so is with most of their songs, especially korean ones..

2. I like how STEP talks about being strong without making Kara appearing as tryhards.. there are lot of songs of our girls which talk about being confident, strong ecc without overly doing it.. it might be nothing for others, but I find it really great..

and I guess that beside our girls, I have to thank SweetTune as well..

3. Did I miss STEP review? You know, that review that alkp releases usually? Not that I can't live without it, I'm just curious..

Too bad STEP's digital sales/streaming didn't take KARA to the Melon Music Awards 2011... but that said, the album itself did very well not only in Korea but in Japan and now Taiwan (with other countries following suit with their own version like Philippines).

I'll just be very positive and remember that their comeback was a very powerful and meaningful one. No amount of awards would replace the fact that KARA is still together and stronger. (Of course, awards would be like adding fireworks to an already great celebration party hehe)

^

for me, the most beautiful thing that happened in 2011 was the (step) comeback. nothing else matters..

KARAs Step grabs #1 on Taiwanese ringtone charts

KARA rose to the top of ringtone charts in Taiwan with their latest Korean track, Step.

The single is reported to be in 1st place on Taiwans most popular ringtone music sites. Step previously reached first place on Japanese ringtone sites as well. Though theyve concluded promotions for the track, it seems that its still going strong amongst international fans.

KARA finished promoting their 5th Japanese single Winter Magic on October 25th, and four of the members have returned to Korea. Member Gyuri remains in Japan for her musical, 200 Pounds Beauty.

allkpop

^ any group who is really popular is a legend. Just see their fans talking XD I love KARA, but it annoys me when I see fans talking about them or any kpop group as legends. Please, Michael Jackson, The Beatles are an example of legend.

2011 Yearly chart album top 150 (2010/12/27付~2011/11/07迄)

98 *,*58,371 **2,648 STEP / KARA 11/10/05(輸11/09/07)

• 1 month later...

I've seen on another forum that some J-Kamilias would like a STEP-like concept for KARA's next release but looking at the sales for the STEP album in Japan I don't know if UMJ/DSP would take the risk. I know I shouldn't compare and usually I don't care about this kind of comparison but I'm really confused why STEP hasn't done better on the Japanese Oricon charts compared to SNSD's Korean album "The Boys"?

We know KARA are currently incredibly popular in Japan (just look at Super Girl's amazing and consistent sales and all their year-end rankings and totals :D ) I know I'm biased but I do think that objectively STEP is a much better album than SNSD's,J-Kamilias seem to really love STEP and STEP got an incredible reaction at the Seoul-Tokyo concert, STEP MV was even the most watched KPOP video on YouTube in Japan but the album hasn't even crossed 65k yet in Japan and SNSD has passsed 83k.

Why do you guys think STEP hasn't sold more especially in comparison to that other group? :blink:

Edited by Optimist

^

But please keep in mind that STEP done much better digitally. SNSD have more hardcore fans in Japan, but Kara has more public recognition. And just maybe another reason is STEP is included in Super Girl tracklist, which affected the sales of STEP.

Plus, there was a lot of Kara releases during the time frame, Winter Magic + All About Beauty + Super Girl + STEP, compare with the group you just mentioned, they only have a Korean album and Japanese tour DVD (released in late of Nov).

^

But please keep in mind that STEP done much better digitally. SNSD have more hardcore fans Kpop fans in Japan, but Kara has more public recognition. And just maybe another reason is STEP is included in Super Girl tracklist, which affected the sales of STEP.

Plus, there was a lot of Kara releases during the time frame, Winter Magic + All About Beauty + Super Girl + STEP, compare with the group you just mentioned, they only have a Korean album and Japanese tour DVD (released in late of Nov).

Correct it for you :lol:

Edited by fantomas

I think snsd and Kara have almost the same number of hardcore fans, but the reason why kara does better is because kara has more casual fans and are more recognized by the public.

Plus the fact snsd has a huge Korean and international fan-base that help boost their Japanese sales, and Kara still does better than them in Japan says a lot.

i don't pay attention to snsd activity so can i assume "the boys" isn't promoted intensively like step?

imo in overall (hardcode + casual irrespective of locations and especially when the playing field in japan), our fans should beat theirs in term of buying strength. no?

so (like raden said) i think the reason is mainly too many releases at the same time, and most importantly step is already included in super girl.

guys, what're the latest numbers for step and "the boys" respectively on oricon? thanks in advance.