How did you get into Kara?

Eddie Z

Back in 2009 I heard their songs Honey and Pretty Girl. I really liked the songs but I never found out who the artist were until august 2012... :( But I'm glad I found out it was Kara!! I remember the first time I heard their songs. It was amazing!

I saw a video on YouTube of someone dancing to Step earlier this year (that's why I picked the username StepItUp13). I really liked how the song sounded, so I looked up the music video and I loved it! However, I didn't start to become really interested in them until recently, after I heard their new song Damaged Lady.

• Like 1

Well for me the journey with KPOP started with the insane popularity of Gangnam Style ^^ I'm pretty sure there is hardly anyone that at least didn't hear a part of it, melody :P And since Kpop artists don't promote in Europe its completely understandable that i wasn't fimilar with it until now.. So.. first was PSY and then after i found out what Kpop is I started lookin' for other artists and groups (: 2NE1, Hyuna, Ailee, Wonder Girls and so on. I found Girl's Generation and became a one big addicted SONE for a few months (: At that time i biassed Jessica.. Jung lol While lookin' for some YT videos, I found a Strong Heart episode with Jessica and Sunny. The one with Nicole's sexy dance keke :D And yeah Nicole.. when i saw her on the video, her reactions, beautifull, fabulous, gorgeous, cute face lol I completely fell in again :P I was like.. who's that girl?! Then some time later while watching SNSD's MVs i noticed a proposition video with a group I'm not familiar with.. KARA!!! It's funny coz KARA  = punishment in Polish :D And then i found the girl i was lookin' for :geminluv: I can not say i was obssesed into finding out her name but she definitely left a impression on me (:  :nc1: I can say i became Kamilia on the 30th of March 2013 ((: One day after KARA's 6th anniversary ^^ I didn't have a chance to meet the girls yet but they surely took part in positve change of myself (; KARA effect. And my passion, devotion into KARA didn't lose on impact a bit :D kekeke first time writin' the whole story (: Seems nice :P Fighting!

Edited by Tomolo
  • Like 2

I remember back in 2009/2010 I was really into Big Bang, and their videos somehow led me to these five skinny girls with red pants and white shirts that showed off their belly, doing a butt dance. I read the YouTube comments a bit more and learned Hara's name. Then, after that, I sorta just forgot about them.

I stopped listening to KPOP for 2/3 years until this year, I got interested yet again. Now, I'm a fan of KARA and I actually know all the member's names :)

• Like 2

I posted this two years ago when I officially opened a Kara tumblr to store memories of our lovely girls. 
I'm not being lazy for using copy/paste option, I just feel that this is meaningful more than the words coming out from my tired brain right now :)

Original Post date: June 2011

It all happened two years ago…

January 2009, I saw my friend’s post in facebook about BOF (Boys Over Flowers), korean ver. of HanaYoriDango... and since I was a Meteor Garden fan, I watched it.

I felt a sudden rush of craze with the series and the OSTs especially those sung by SS501 and T-Max
While searching SS501 via Youtube, it led me to Kara, who also lend their voices for  “Love is Fire” I instantly  loved the song and the members themselves =]

I searched their songs and MVs, and was  fascinated that I almost spent 24 hours of my two days off… I mean, literally, I didn’t sleep for a day… crazy Huh? 0_0…I kept on repeating their songs, memorizing their names and infos, and checking their latest updates… And yes I did.. since I’m new with K-pop… I had a hard time with that =_=

With all my heart, I knew I became a fan right after that.  I even got hurt with all the harsh criticisms they receive on Youtube… saying this and that groups are better than them =[… sighs*  I accepted their claims  but not with the harsh and thoughtless words they said.

Hey! KARA is not a group that you can just throw some dung on! >_<… look at how they value each other…Look at how they treasure their fans…look at how they care for their staffs… and look at how they work so hard just to make us entertained… Was it really just about their dreams to be on top??.. no I don’t think so… and KAMILIA knows that.

I officially made myself a Kamilia even though they were not famous back then… And the reason is? I’M PROUD OF KARA AND MY FELLOW KAMILIAS… the moral values that we all have just made us strong no matter what…staying humble and calm with all the backlash *sighs… even those hurtful ones…. we stayed quiet… I’ve never met any fandoms doing the same thing as ours.. KUDOS to us!

I, pledge to everyone reading this post, to PROTECT, LOVE, and SUPPORT our KARA and my fellow KAMILIAS no matter what happens in KPOP World.

• Like 1

I'm actually a new fan of KARA.. I became a fan on May 15, 2013.. It's a long story though..

I was an arcade guy (still am).. I play many types of arcade game in malls.. I'm also into Rhythm  gams.. I got really obsessed with Drum Mania.. but I can only do up to level 80+ songs.. Then one day.. the machine got broken for unknown reasons.. There was a new machine called "TECHNIKA 2".. It was also a rhythm game but I always thought that it a "for girls only" game.. so I ignored it.. Out of frustration, Visiting everyday being unable to play rhythm games on the arcade, I decided to play it.. Well for some reasons I got addicted to it.. I also made friends from playing it.. I played it for 3 months.. *not everyday of course*

One day.. One of my friends called me.. He told me there is a Technika 3 machine in another arcade.. I got excited and went to where he's at.. When I got there.. I saw the preview was playing a song with a bunch of Kpop girls.. It was KARA but I didn't know that yet.. Then when it's my turn to play.. The first song I heard was "step it up, step it up".. My friend told me that "Gyuri" was so good in Shaking her hips.. He was so attracted to her.. Well she's an eye-catcher because of her blonde hair.. But since I don't like Kpop back then.. I didn't choose to play it.. When I got home.. I got a text from my friend asking me to search for the name of that girl since he didn't know her yet.. So me, I tried searching for it.. I searched for like 2 minutes to know her names.. After that, I searched more.. then I stumbled into "Mister".. it was also in the arcade game but without the Music Video.. I saw a cute girl there and she struck my heart with her eyes.. She was so cute that I need to find her name too.. She was named Jiyoung.. I became obsessed with her.. She was so cute.. And her voice was so nice in my ears too so I downloaded some of their songs to hear Jing's voice.. I watched all the variety shows she appeared to.. From watching them I got to know other KARA members.. And that's how I became a Kamilia.. 

Long story short.. Because of an arcade game.. And because of my  friend.. I became a Kamilia.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very long process, and involves a handful of other artists too.
I did post a bit in another thread, but here's the expanded, long-winded version:      

The earliest I remember of Kara was in late 2008, when I might have stumbled upon Pretty Girl on TV, while I paid little attention to them, or most girlbands in general because of the general perception that they are all wannabees, while boy bands like TVXQ at the time were the REAL talent (trust me, I'm a straight guy, but with very picky music taste at the time). Same thing when Kara released Honey and Lupin. Concurrently, I listened to some songs by Perfume, but eventually got tired of the autotune.    

My perception of girl bands had only loosened after the JYJ lawsuit, and I eventually gave into the allure of SNSD in 2010, amounting to a good 3 years of fandom, with 2012-2013 as the period of dying interest. I was introduced to AKB48 in 2011, but I kept my interest in them down to avoid judgment from friends :P. Interest in Kara VERY slowly crept up, mostly because I had another Kamilia friend, who was also a Sone but quit earlier than me. I then rediscovered Perfume after the VMAJ 2012, and eventually gave them another chance, and was instantly moved by their success story, the most touching since TVXQ's struggle in Japan. I soon gave into AKB48 after my Kamilia friend got poisoned into them. Both Perfume and AKB48 catalysed my disinterest in SNSD, though it was largely because their image had become VERY staple and templated, since their (SNSD) debut in Japan, especially since Mr Taxi, from which most of their current coreography looks blandly similar to.      

Back to my story of Kara, I slowly grew curious of Kara's foray into Japan, and after some listens to their Japanese album, I was hooked. They sounded much fresher when compared to the decreasing originality of SNSD's style.... My interest in Kara was further strengthened by my Kamilia friend's mention of the Karafume pairing. Fast-forward to today, clean from Soshi, strongly acquainted into the Perfume community, quite broken by JYJ's victory, and quite addicted to AKB48, I've finally accepted Kara as a band to be appreciated and loved. With their lawsuit settled very promptly, their ongoing success and influence in Japan, and their ever modest fan community in Korea and worldwide, Kara is a unit I wish to know better and feel connected to.

Edited by tako_sama

Let me in! I'm 11 months Karaholic, errr...    

I can't believe I've watched their commercials since May 2012! <_< (Palty and Soy Carat) And I first thought they're all Japanese, 'till I realized :sweatdrop: they're a K-Pop girl group!

Then, I'd watched Gangnam Style dance with Nicole and Hara. :thumbup: They have the best performance, eh!  :) September 2012

Then, Japan YouTubers' plug-in about postponed Kara concert in Kobe, which is I still :o don't know what girl group is that? October 2012

Then, plunged into Korean-made video game machines! No PSY here :angry: on both DJ Max Technika and Pump It Up Fiesta! So I got bored, till someone called me... :welcome:

"MISTER" I thought at first some's calling me! Someone's playing DJ Max Technika! hahahaha November 4, 2012  :drool: 

One thing I'd discovered is... there is an  MV plug-in for "Wanna" for Pump It Up, and "Pretty Girl", "Lupin", "Jumping" and "Step" for DJ Max Technika, :canny: but no plug-in MV for "Mister", :blink: so this is the start of search for them on the Net, :ph34r:  'till I came across a Japanese?!? MV for this song and WTFact?

:15541758:  :32524216:  :51333867:  :85896326:  :81766871:

Booty twirls! I still remembered, I replayed this movie more than ten times even if I'm jjust renting only an hour at the computer shop! hahahahaha :admire2: 

And that's it! How I turned to be a Karaholic! :help: More than alcoholic!  :eyelove:

Edited by megamanno99
  • Like 1

Listened to "STEP", thought it was really bland and lame. Then I kept thinking to myself, "I need to listen to this again!" So I searched it up. Listened to it. And it grew on me, every time. I repeated that play button time and time again. Not to mention the girls were gorgeous. Started looking for more songs. Saw variety shows and then their Japanese stuff. Hooked after that.To this day, STEP is still my most listened to song of all time. xD 

Edited by KaraKara_No_Mahoutsukai
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, for me all started with Psy's performance at Inkigayo with Hara and Nicole, after that I found a funny video of Hyuna from Invincible Youth (immature jokes lol), I started to watch the program from the first episode and saw Hara again and all her funnies performances of Mr.'s butt dance :gemhappy:   But definitely it was decisive for me to watch videos about the history of the group, see all the hardships they went through and how they could overcome, all that made that first I admired them and after fall in love of them  :gemheart:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Online games website ..ragnarok or something ... i just saw their image and clips ..but during those times 2008.. its not easy to search  since i'm not that informative .. and also kpop hasn't yet that popular back then 

• Like 1

I knew that  KARA is one of the  popular girl groups
but I didn't pay attention to them because I  wasn't interested in KPOP much

Last year I watched PANDORA MV on TV and noticed one girl that looks soooo cute and sexy in the same time  ><
I always looked at  her whenever I found this MV airing on TV
and finally...  I searched up her name on Google ....  She is Han Seungyeon   :gemflower: 

However ,  I know Hammie since last year  but I just decied to be "KAMILIA" just 4-5 months ago
In the past , I was just "Han Seungyeon Fan"
but for now I'm "Kamilia"  :thankful:

I Love KARA !!
Edited by haruna4
  • Like 3

I saw a live performance of Mister in 2009 or around that time I believe. I couldn't believe how thin the girls were >< After that, I kind of forgot about Kara and KPOP as a whole for four years until IGAB from SNSD came out.

After that, I got back into KPOP and I caught up with everything that was important, and that included KARA. :D

• 2 months later...

I first saw KARA when i was at Dave and Busters on the Dance Dance Revolution machine when my sister and i played Wanna from their Revolution album. We were awful and that night my sister found them. I didnt start getting attached to them until i started watching their varieties (which with them is really the best). I think it's been about 2 years since ive become a kamilia:D