[2011.12.01] KARA in music awards: Best treated in Japan vs. poorly treated in Korea

chupachups

KARA is currently attracting attention by being treated differently in music awards from Korea and Japan.

It seems like they are best treated in Japan but poorly treated in Korea. Releasing their third domestic album in September, they did well on the sales. However, they haven

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, STEP doing great yet it was not even nominated for the categories Kamilias are expecting.

Well, we can't have it all, but still...

tsktsktsk Korea take care of KARA better while you still have them!

and though im a nobody im really grateful for J-Kamilias T^T

Thanks for sharing this news!

Edited by jerism

yes i as an international fan also can tell the difference of how they are treated in Korea and in Japan...

anyway.. i really hope they'll receive awards at end year music awards in Korea and in Japan too.. KARA fighting.. Kamilias will always have your backs

ehhh...while I do agree, I also think that KARA doesn't need those Korean year end awards. They are not very legitimate and their is too much fan voting....fan voting leads to skewed results. How can an artist who only promoted one song at the end of the year even be considered for artist of the year? Honestly these award shows do not represent the music industry...all it does is support those groups with the most fanatical fans who have the numbers (and apparent overwhelming free time) to vote like crazy and spend all their(or their parents) hard earned money buying 10 copies of the same album....Korean music awards are a joke! I'm not afraid to say it! Selling 300k copies DOES NOT mean you had the album of the year...it means u have 100k fans buying X amount of copies each....what about the musicality of it all? I think Kara is big enough in Korea, def second most popular girl group and alot more popular amongst the public then some of the male groups that sweep the show year after year, and that is good enough for me...they don't need rigged award shows that only support the large fan-club system.

I look at it this way, tons of legendary bands like Queen and the like have never won a Grammy, but they are still legendary. I think KARA doesn't need such a phoney award. It can be seen with album sales and commercial endorsement deals that KARA is a big name...if Korean Music industry wants to keep catering to the same company(ies) over and over again, which only helps to make them even bigger, than they can do that...KARA's show will still go on.

sorry if it seems like I am ranting but really....I'm just so tired of the flack from intl fans and the lack of support from the Korean Music Industry to stand up to those big companies...seriously just because X group isn't there? seriously, the show will still go on...people will still watch. But because they want them to come, they fork over some undeserved award to them, so that they, their company and their trophy hungry fans can feel better about themselves and prove that they are "number 1"...I'm just tired of it. I think Kara is bigger than the cheapness of Korean year end awards...everyone knows the results before it is even announced and X groups from X companies are always threatening not to go but then after a meeting between the head officials they do decide to go and they end up magically sweeping the show :rolleyes:

yea I am beyond done with how Korea hand out music awards. The proof for Kara is in the endorsement deals, cameo roles, record sales and other things that show you are a success.

well, kamilias are all hyped up with KARA in Japan thing, and so KARA is receiving all that love in Japan.. And so as other fanclubs, they are also hyped up with their idols getting awards in Korea.. that's why they're getting those.. so I think it's just understandable.

don't worry Kamilias.. Im sure Kara is happy :) there are still many things to come for KARA i.e. acting :) :)

ehhh...while I do agree, I also think that KARA doesn't need those Korean year end awards. They are not very legitimate and their is too much fan voting....fan voting leads to skewed results. How can an artist who only promoted one song at the end of the year even be considered for artist of the year? Honestly these award shows do not represent the music industry...all it does is support those groups with the most fanatical fans who have the numbers (and apparent overwhelming free time) to vote like crazy and spend all their(or their parents) hard earned money buying 10 copies of the same album....Korean music awards are a joke! I'm not afraid to say it! Selling 300k copies DOES NOT mean you had the album of the year...it means u have 100k fans buying X amount of copies each....what about the musicality of it all? I think Kara is big enough in Korea, def second most popular girl group and alot more popular amongst the public then some of the male groups that sweep the show year after year, and that is good enough for me...they don't need rigged award shows that only support the large fan-club system.

I look at it this way, tons of legendary bands like Queen and the like have never won a Grammy, but they are still legendary. I think KARA doesn't need such a phoney award. It can be seen with album sales and commercial endorsement deals that KARA is a big name...if Korean Music industry wants to keep catering to the same company(ies) over and over again, which only helps to make them even bigger, than they can do that...KARA's show will still go on.

sorry if it seems like I am ranting but really....I'm just so tired of the flack from intl fans and the lack of support from the Korean Music Industry to stand up to those big companies...seriously just because X group isn't there? seriously, the show will still go on...people will still watch. But because they want them to come, they fork over some undeserved award to them, so that they, their company and their trophy hungry fans can feel better about themselves and prove that they are "number 1"...I'm just tired of it. I think Kara is bigger than the cheapness of Korean year end awards...everyone knows the results before it is even announced and X groups from X companies are always threatening not to go but then after a meeting between the head officials they do decide to go and they end up magically sweeping the show :rolleyes:

yea I am beyond done with how Korea hand out music awards. The proof for Kara is in the endorsement deals, cameo roles, record sales and other things that show you are a success.

Agreed! I'm tired of stressing over questions of biases and unfair outcomes of results. Kara knows what they're worth and they know how fans truly feel about them. I rather not have them win those awards for reasons that are obvious; it just all feels tainted in the end. These awards gets to the point where it's not even worth attending to receive it knowing how the process is. I seriously still can't get over the policy of "no attendance, no award". What proper award show would do that?! Even if you rightfully and is deserving of the award you won't win it because you won't or can't attend because of prior engagements. It's like, if you want an award, clear your whole schedule and work around our schedule, and while we're at it we'll take advantage of your attendance and make you practice extra routines so you will perform during the show for us on top of what you have to prepare and practice for other engagements already.

Success is not measured by awards but by true and honest accomplishments.

Honestly, the only award that I ever questioned Kara winning was their 2009 MAMA award for 'Best Dance' for Honey. I truly did not think they should have won for that category, especially with the nominees that were in the category.

I know how it feels that they're getting lots of recognition & awards in Japan but in Korea, they're not getting any.

It's sad but I'm sure, if KARA would have an opportunity to talk us,

They'll all say that let's just all be contented.

I'm actually okay if they don't get anything,

All I'm worried for now is their health,

Like srsly, they're getting skinnier each time I see them

I'm stupid if I'm going to say that I don't like these awards,

Ofc I want 'em ! I had always been a proud Kamilia, & will always be !

It's just that sometimes, I just feel like some of us are starting to be competitive.

(And this is how most fandoms start, from being competitive to bashing other fandoms)

My point is, let's just support our Kara bbs.

I'm sure in the future, they'll get more awards.

KARA Fighting !

I'm sorry if I offended some Kamilias,

I know you guys are nice (that's why I chose this fandom)

I know you guys understand my point :)

Edited by _Onyeonee

This is so true. It's so annoying how Kara is treated so differently in both countries!

I mean come on, can't they get a little acknowledgement from their home country?! To many people,

it's okay for Kara to not win a big award for the year-end shows, but it means a lot to

the girls. It would be nice for them to win Artist/Female Artist or whatever at least once.

Gyuri even said that was one of her dreams.

Honestly, the only award that I ever questioned Kara winning was their 2009 MAMA award for 'Best Dance' for Honey. I truly did not think they should have won for that category, especially with the nominees that were in the category.

That says more about how that particular award show is run. It sounds more a like pity award. "You won't win any of the big, important awards. So, uh, how about you take this one, eh? Thanks for coming." They way kpop award shows are run, it'll be a miracle if KARA wins anything big.

I think if KARA registers as a foreign (read: Japanese) artist, they might have a better chance at winning at Korean award shows. :whistling:<_<

I wonder how well their Japanese albums will do if they promoted in Korea as well. :lol:

KARA will always be under-appreciated in their home country. That's the story of their career. Even if numerous domestic studies, polls, records, sales, monetary worth, brand name recognition, etc. prove that they are in the top 3 girl group, the music industry (read: award show producers and kpop fans) will only recognize them as lower half of top 5 or top 10.

So us (international) Kamilia really has no choice but to be just contented with how far KARA has come and how much KARA has achieved, despite them always seemingly fighting and struggling against all odds. And really, aren't those are the best fights to watch?

That says more about how that particular award show is run. It sounds more a like pity award. "You won't win any of the big, important awards. So, uh, how about you take this one, eh?"

I agree, as if to say; since you took the time out to attend the award and put on a spectacular performance for us, we'll give you this award because your popularity out ranks the other nominees at this point in time.

A consolation prize if anything. I honesty roll my eyes each time I see them nominated at any of these award shows.

I knew this kinda article will pop-out, it showed that not only Kamilia has thinking and concern about this.. about how Kara being treated so well in Japan but in Korea? Korea's music industry especially the awards still revolve around Big3 -_-

No wonder people often said that Kara better stay in Japan but we as Kamilia of course want them both to promote in Korea and Japan..

I honestly prefer them in Japan because yeah...they appreciate so much more there :gloomy:

honestly i also a bit sad about it... maybe it is because KARA promote more in Japan than in Korea but i don't think so... Many people said than KARA don't get the awards because they promote more in Japan. but i think Japanese people really loves KARA. Look. When KARA was in their hardest time( i mean during their disband rumor), more Japanese fans support them rather than Korean fans. I am sorry to say but it seems that international fans more worried about KARA more then their own fans in Korea. The girlgroup battle in Korea also makes KARA cant really grow in their country... There are SNSD and F(X) from SM, WG and MISS A from JYP, 2NE1 from YG,etc. Those groups are covered by their company management really well but look at our own KARA. Their new dorm also not in a good condition. The door can't be locked, hot and not really suitable for them too. It seems that DSP only using KARA....

Well, it seems that all this is.... sadly true. Maybe that's why DSP is taking the xtra step of getting them into acting and, starting in the years ahead, going to more countries to enlarge KARA's horizon and opportunities. Anyway the fruits of their labor is paying off and there'll be bigger things for the girls....and the most importan aspect of it all is that THEY are already number ONE in in the hearts af all true Kamilias. They will NEVER let us down and WE will be ALWAYS behind them in everything they do.

There are thousands of fans in Korea, Japan and the rest of the world who know who is the best girl group.

KARA...KARA...KARA!

After all is said and done I believe they know that too.

I was able to read this article somewhere and my immediate thought was "wow, this is sad and at the same time it's also true". I know KARA has a lot of Japanese fans and a number of other international fans as well that loves them very much (and I'm one of those). True enough, that KARA appreciates every love and support they get from their fans but sometimes I just wonder how they feel about being underappreciated in their own country. Oh well, true Kamilias are more than enough to make them feel appreciated and special rather than any other Music Award out there. Whether Korean, or Japanese, or everybody else, you only call yourself Kamilia if you're support and love for them is genuine.

but i think Japanese people really loves KARA. Look. When KARA was in their hardest time( i mean during their disband rumor), more Japanese fans support them rather than Korean fans.

I completely disagree with this statement.

K-Kamilias don't care about KARA? what are you talking about? K-Kamilias may not be the largest fanclub out there, but they are certainly one of the most devoted and dedicated ones. After all they have followed our girls for many years, so please don't say such things about them :(

Plus, regarding J-Kamilias, while I agree that some wotas are really supportive, most of KARA's sales in Japan come from casual fans or any person who is mildly interested in K-artists. Even with KARA's many achievements, they have yet to build up a solid fanbase in Japan (but I'm sure they can achieve this soon).

Their new dorm also not in a good condition. The door can't be locked, hot and not really suitable for them too. It seems that DSP only using KARA....

I am sorry but you need to update your facts.

KARA no longer lives in a dorm; they live separately now.

And yes, DSP is using KARA as a source of income, but same goes for any other entertainment company in the music industry. In fact after the lawsuit, DSP really stepped up in their marketing strategies and our girls are better treated now.

Just saying.

I hope my post didn't seem too harsh.

As for the article..... I hate to say this but it is perfectly true, especially when KARA is not from a Big3 company.

Personally, awards DO matter to me and I'm sure they matter to our girls as well.

I don't think they'll win anything in 2011, though with some luck a Bonsang is possible. However, hopefully in 2012 KARA will gain more love, success and finally a well-deserved award (esp the GDAs) in their home country.

KARA fighting~ <3

Edited by MizuiroKaze13

My personal point of view:

They gain much more attention in Japan because they are considered as rookie in Japan music industry

Thus, it is quite impressive for new artist to gain more attention.

However, for korean music industry, KARA has small fanbase considering being in the industry for several years.

(I saw the figure about their fan, some artists who debut after KARA have more fanbase!!)

That's why it is quite hard to win some awards that mainly base on the vote.

(Btw, I think MAMA award is totally biased....they are other artists deserve that award in some category)

Nevertheless, I believe the sales in Korea is impressive enough...regardless of whether they receive award or not, the sales still prove that they are popular and loved by their fan like us :eyelove:

Edited by tartetee

for me, they don't need those awards to prove that they are one of the best.. but i know that it will mean a lot for the girls, that's why im hoping that they get one.. this should serve as an eye-opener to those award-giving bodies.. Kara is getting bigger and bigger, and you can't constantly deny them something that they deserve to have.. and to think, this came from someone that is not a Kamilia tells us that there are others who also see how unfair they are treated in their own country.. i can't really blame those who say that they should just stay in Japan.. because we can really see the difference on how they are treated there.. those award-giving bodies should remember this:

People are now paying attention to what results KARA will bring from the rest of the music awards in Korea that will take place at the end of this year.

I think an award to prove that you are appreciated after what you did.

So yeah Kara need at least one after "Step" is released, but as we know.. awards is always biased to big3..

so i really dissappointed with korean awards :thumbdown: