Kara (Korean) vs. Kara (Japanese)

k1234k

Hi all- after recently watching thinking about the MVs made for Korea and Japan,, it really seems that there is a noticeable difference in not only the music, but also the costumes, and the dances for Kara's Korean and Japanese fans.

Have you noticed that in nearly all the Korean language MV, the girls are each wearing unique, but matching costumes (Step, Pandora), BUT in the Japanese language MV, they are usually wearing the same, uniform-like costumes? (Jet Coaster Love, Go Go Summer)?

Also, have you noticed the dance choreography for J-songs like Go Go Summer and Jet Coaster Love have a lot of synchronized arm and hand gestures (which the Japanese fans adore in all their idol groups), whereas the Korean MV have unique choreography for each member? Also, I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any Japanese Kara songs with rap. All the Kara Japanese songs seem to be either up-tempo pop or ballads.

Sure, I like the variety- but Kara's whole Japan image seems...strange, a bit unnatural, and, well, scientifically formulated to target the Japanese audience. Specifically as if DSP has decided that Kara is in competition with AKB48, and has to basically make music and MV on that basis.

Also, having just watched both Karasia dvd concerts (Seoul/Japan), the girls put on a brave face, but definitely are tensed up in the Japan video- the speaking parts sound scripted, and are sometimes hard to listen to- especially Nicole trying her best to say the few lines she memorized. (Such pressure!)

For me, it's ironic. I live in Japan, and can speak a fair bit of Japanese, but I prefer Kara in their natural language, even though I can't understand a word of Korean!

How about you? Have you noticed the difference between Kor Kara and Jpn Kara? If so, do you have a preference?

• Like 1

It is notable the difference in Korean music to the Japanese. I even agree that the clips and the choreography are different and less worked, until weak (in parts), but I disagree on the songs. I LOVE Japanese songs, actually, I have all the songs from Girls Forever, and started listening to AKB48 recently, so for me, sometimes, the Japanese songs are over worked and prepared than Korean.

I think the performances of KARA in Japan too synchronized, and Nicole suffers a lot with this. I wish they would train more, but that is the choice of DSP.

Anyway, I think the two songs are great and well produced, except that the Japanese need more attention for them to go well in the performances.

Edited by Laura Reis

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely think you're on to something here. Have you read this article?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_seabrook?currentPage=all

It touches a little bit on your theory that you've posted here. As I understand it, there are tried and true formulae that the companies have figured out over time that will net them the most money, so that's what they follow. I noticed this especially with the Japanese group Perfume; you start to notice that each individual member has a specific "look" and they often won't stray from it, probably because they are instructed not to.

I speak some Japanese as well, but I definitely prefer listening to Kara's Korean songs. I think Japanese and Korean are both interesting languages, but the flow of Korean is more forgiving in terms of rap parts in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think it's because of ppl preferences, if you look at idols in japan, i think you would understand why Kara in japan has different concepts.

but for me, i like both. because it's enable me to look different sides of Kara and i love it :D

Edited by st_

• 4 weeks later...

I just love how we have a thread about this topic.

KARA is a Korean group and started out in Korea will always be the KARA we all love. I just think it was wise on their and the company's part to take this time to culturally integrate. A lot of the time, they are teaching the Japanese on how Koreans think and vice versa. It's just a nice interaction and done so professionally. Either Korean or Japanese, they all sound great :)

• Like 1

For me, I believe that Japanese KARA definitely emulates what AKB and what some other groups have going for them to help mould into their culture. Having said that though, it has worked out very well for KARA as they are one of the more popular Korean groups in Japan.

As for my personal taste, I still really prefer the Korean KARA better because like you said it really showcases them individually and they seem more natural in their own language... but that doesn't mean i don't enjoy the Japanese singles because I really love some of them (Jet Coaster, Electric Boy, Bye Bye Happy Days, Girls' Power)

I think it's great because it's just showing off that KARA has more than one side to them!

because im not familiar with japanese music scene, i was surprised when kara suddenly went back to cute and bubbly concepts for their japanese comebacks and that really was well loved.

i like how they promote differently and adjusts to what market they're catering to. but to be honest, i think they need to step up on korean concepts since even rookies who just debuted have killer concepts already o_o you know it's really getting tough~

but i prefer their japanese promotions since they make more mvs hehehe /simple-minded

This is so difficult to answer! I guess I like both, Korean and Japanese KARA. I'm really proud for them, it's not easy to be considered a top girl group in a big music market such as the Japanese, however I also think that their image in Japan is a little forced and studied. I guess, DSP staff know what to do in order to sell.

As for K-KARA, I like how much they can change in each comeback, they can adapt to any style but I think that even if they are considered a top girl group they are underrated in a lot of aspects so....

I guess both versions of our girls have their advantages and disadvantages. I root for both!

Because I became a fan of Kara before their debut in Japan, I like Kara in Korea better. Kara's earlier releases sound very J-pop, like their first mini-album. Some of their Korean songs sound great in Japanese.

Kara's very fit for the Japanese scene and I love their Japanese releases, like "Jet Coaster Love" and "GO GO Summer!". And their Japanese is pretty good, compared to other Korean artists who debuted in Japan (this is coming from a person who doesn't speak Japanese).

^

I also think the same. In my opinion, Kara is the Korean artist who fits the Japanese music style the best. It's not awkward to listen to them singing in Japanese (unless if they translate their Korean songs into Japanese since I'm used to listen to the Korean one).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Some of their newer Japan only songs have a very cute young and poppy sound which I like.  I do appreciate how much work they put into practicing their Japanese language skills.  But I still prefer to hear them sing in Korean.  I wonder how the whole group would sound singing english like SNSD did for the Boys?

I like Korean Kara cos they r more natural there. And most Japanese songs are toooo sweet and clothes r not really good. And their appearance on tv, I pref to watch Hara on RM not on Jap variety show.

But i understand that Korean Idols earn more in Japan, that's Y they r release album there.

^

I also think the same. In my opinion, Kara is the Korean artist who fits the Japanese music style the best. It's not awkward to listen to them singing in Japanese (unless if they translate their Korean songs into Japanese since I'm used to listen to the Korean one).

Agreed with you with regards to the getting used to. Like how I got used to Korean Jumping first and it took more than a few listens to get used to the Japanese version. But either way they're still KARA's songs so I don't really care. :D

I got into KARA firstly because of Lupin, then started the digging up of all the old mvs and songs they have, I love wanna's video that time! :D

Then mister came out and wow wow wow my eyes literally popped out! hahaha

That was better than BEG's abracadabra even though BEG's one was so much more popular in school when everyone was incorporating it into a camp or just doing a dance cover of the song.

/end digress