DSP Media Decision Making

edr49890

DSP Media Decision Making Another Story

Okay, let me give you a little info on whats going on with DSP. I am writing this because I saw some comments in other individual threads about people feeling let down with Nicole not joining WGM and Kkangjii not working on Iris 2.

DSP sometime recently recruited a person for the position of VP (next to the CEO). His name is Ha-Mook Sung. He had worked in various capacities at SBS Contents Hub, SBS Media Group and SBS Viacom (yeah, that SBS). He graduated with an MBA at Meiji University's Graduate School in Japan (so he speaks Japanese and the school enrollment is around 33,000). And he was a producer for the animation production at SBS Productions.

(this is from the Karaboard.com)

Now, you must understand. The management issue was one of the main things sited during the KARA incident. You see, many of the smaller management firms are kinda of run like a mom-and-pop store. Majority of them do not have a systematic and structured organization. This is due to issues of both money as well as mindset of the owners. So, DSP hiring this guy is like your corner store hiring an MBA (well, he is an MBA). The Korean Kamilias are seeing some noticeable change in the way DSP is running as well.

For example, they didnt put Cole in WGA and pulled Kkangjii from Iris2. Many of the Korean Kamilias were against WGA. First, WGA has been experiencing falling ratings. It is considered a lost cause. They think its going to be cancelled soon. So, why put their girl in that show? Also, they were worried about how she would act on the show as she is an Americanized girl and her open mindedness and friendliness may cause problems for the Korean viewers later on. Mind you, this is a made up show about a newly married life.

Furthermore, it was sited that this was purely a power play by the broadcasting company to pressure the smaller management company. They know KARA is huge in Japan so they were targeting the sale of the broadcasting rights in Japan (If you know the contract laws and views of business rights in Korea compared to the US or UK, you would understand the position of the smaller management companies like DSP there is this typical phrase they use Gap vs Eup - 갑과을).

Another example is Iris 2. They find out that Jiyoungs role will be a very minor one. So, it was another strategy on the producers and the broadcasting companys part to grab the broadcasting rights of the show in Japan because of the popularity of KARA in Japan. But, from DSPs perspective, this is horse manure. Her supposed role is such a minor one, whats the point? It would actually hurt her image in Japan. Like, why is she in a drama where you only see her a few minutes per episode?

I agree with both decisions on this case. And I do think DSPs been getting better in some of their decision making.

Case in point is just the fact that they are releasing this song Bye Bye Happy Days! Whoever thought of this is brilliant. Do you realize how many people in Japan are going to relate this song to one of their most important and cherished moments in their lives?

For some of you who dont know, the period of March and April is one of the most eventful periods for the Japanese. All schools end their classes and have graduations. Many students bid farewell to their friends and teachers and may move to different cities or move on to different schools or higher education. Most companies close their year-end annual financials and start new ones (many Japanese firms dont use calendar year for financial reporting), so you may have many colleagues departing to new positions or locations. So many people move and relocate as well. It is a period when many people are parting with their friends, colleagues, family members and such. And Japan has many songs by the most prominent singers and groups singing about this period, but you wouldnt know that if you didn't know about Japan. If they do this right, this song will be a huge hit when the album comes out. Thats why even though the music is upbeat the lyric of the song is very meaningful.

Another case is the two dramas for Gyuri and Seunyeon. The roles are major with Gyuris being a lead. They can sell them to Japan. But, I am sure they realize this is not a 100 meter sprint. Its a marathon for them. They are not some short time instant stars. They have a huge fan base in Japan. So, I am sure they are not desperate in that sense, especially for Kkangji, Hara and Nicole. But, some Korean Kamilias do mention that Hara and Nicole have to do some new stuff, acting or otherwise. Kkangji? She is still young. I think she is just enjoying life.

Edited by edr49890

The VP is not bad I think. I also heard that WGM's rating now had gone down especially after the JoonSeo incident.

His decision on Jiyoung's case also makes sense. I think that DSP should keep this guy well :lol:

Anyway, is it ok for them to emphasize Kara sales more in Japan than Korea? What if their popularity in Korea goes down?

Edited by mitsuki0208

Okay, let me give you a little info on whats going on with DSP. I am writing this because I saw some comments in other individual threads about people feeling let down with Nicole not joining WGM and Kkangjii not working on Iris 2.

DSP sometime recently recruited a person for the position of VP (next to the CEO). His name is Ha-Mook Sung. He had worked in various capacities at SBS Contents Hub, SBS Media Group and SBS Viacom (yeah, that SBS). He graduated with an MBA at Meiji University's Graduate School in Japan (so he speaks Japanese and the school enrollment is around 33,000). And he was a producer for the animation production at SBS Productions.

(this is from the Karaboard.com)

Now, you must understand. The management issue was one of the main things sited during the KARA incident. You see, many of the smaller management firms are kinda of run like a mom-and-pop store. Majority of them do not have a systematic and structured organization. This is due to issues of both money as well as mindset of the owners. So, DSP hiring this guy is like your corner store hiring an MBA (well, he is an MBA). The Korean Kamilias are seeing some noticeable change in the way DSP is running as well.

For example, they didnt put Cole in WGA and pulled Kkangjii from Iris2. Many of the Korean Kamilias were against WGA. First, WGA has been experiencing falling ratings. It is considered a lost cause. They think its going to be cancelled soon. So, why put their girl in that show? Also, they were worried about how she would act on the show as she is an Americanized girl and her open mindedness and friendliness may cause problems for the Korean viewers later on. Mind you, this is a made up show about a newly married life.

Furthermore, it was sited that this was purely a power play by the broadcasting company to pressure the smaller management company. They know KARA is huge in Japan so they were targeting the sale of the broadcasting rights in Japan (If you know the contract laws and views of business rights in Korea compared to the US or UK, you would understand the position of the smaller management companies like DSP there is this typical phrase they use Gap vs Eup - 갑과을).

Another example is Iris 2. They find out that Jiyoungs role will be a very minor one. So, it was another strategy on the producers and the broadcasting companys part to grab the broadcasting rights of the show in Japan because of the popularity of KARA in Japan. But, from DSPs perspective, this is horse manure. Her supposed role is such a minor one, whats the point? It would actually hurt her image in Japan. Like, why is she in a drama where you only see her a few minutes per episode?

I agree with both decisions on this case. And I do think DSPs been getting better in some of their decision making.

Case in point is just the fact that they are releasing this song Bye Bye Happy Days! Whoever thought of this is brilliant. Do you realize how many people in Japan are going to relate this song to one of their most important and cherished moments in their lives?

For some of you who dont know, the period of March and April is one of the most eventful periods for the Japanese. All schools end their classes and have graduations. Many students bid farewell to their friends and teachers and may move to different cities or move on to different schools or higher education. Most companies close their year-end annual financials and start new ones (many Japanese firms dont use calendar year for financial reporting), so you may have many colleagues departing to new positions or locations. So many people move and relocate as well. It is a period when many people are parting with their friends, colleagues, family members and such. And Japan has many songs by the most prominent singers and groups singing about this period, but you wouldnt know that if you didn't know about Japan. If they do this right, this song will be a huge hit when the album comes out. Thats why even though the music is upbeat the lyric of the song is very meaningful.

Another case is the two dramas for Gyuri and Seunyeon. The roles are major with Gyuris being a lead. They can sell them to Japan. But, I am sure they realize this is not a 100 meter sprint. Its a marathon for them. They are not some short time instant stars. They have a huge fan base in Japan. So, I am sure they are not desperate in that sense, especially for Kkangji, Hara and Nicole. But, some Korean Kamilias do mention that Hara and Nicole have to do some new stuff, acting or otherwise. Kkangji? She is still young. I think she is just enjoying life.

I think it would be nice if you indicated the source of this writing. This is the exacting posting I wrote on AKP forum thread the other day.

I actually think this guy is making some proper moves, where Kara is concern. And I can see now why Kara is pretty much getting some referral treatments at SBS now. They have a former employee of the broadcasting company pulling strings. But he's smart about it, he's not doing it in such an obvious way that it will cause any major backlash from fans or the public, like how blatant SBS's bias towards YG is. But at the same time I feel as if fans of Rainbow, A-Jax, and maybe even Puretty are resenting the fact that Kara is still too much of the main focus. Yes, they are DSP's money-maker but I can see why the other fandoms would feel the jealousy and neglect. I mean reading the part of Iris 2 alone makes me feel like, why did they put HyeongKon in there then. He might be a newbie but if you consider the minor role as "horse manure" why offer your rookie. Sure he gets the exposure but again, for such a minor role that only appears a few minutes per episode was it really worth it? He could be doing something else, a bit more productive and with better exposure. You know what I mean?

But of course I digress. I like to look at both sides of the picture. As of right now, he’s pulling all the right moves where promotion of his artistes is concern. Rainbow and their fans are enjoying the comeback, and we’re awaiting their follow-up with Part 2. If rumors are true and A-Jax is up next for the comeback then we can anticipate that. And then if what Hara said in her Elle interview is true then we can expect a summer comeback from them. Then maybe Puretty debuting in Korea near the year’s end, if not midyear in-between A-Jax, Rainbow, Kara comebacks. I just hope he knows how to balance his groups properly and not let it get out of control like what happened during the previous two years or so.

And now with the prospects of Kara having their own drama soon, I’m already feeling anxious and excited. And of course it’s associated with SBS.

Side note, I guess ever since this guys came in to position, Kara has been the only group that I can recall to perform their B-side twice. Starting from Step, they got to perform Date (My Boy) during their comeback week and the week right after, due to “popular demand” from fans. And then just recently with Pandora and Miss U, the same situation. It can possibly be by popular demand but I have a feeling this new VP had a little something to do with it too. Because even the Nation’s girl group didn’t get to do so.

Just my two cents rambling.

Edited by UnknownIdiot

Buisness 101 listen to the person with the MBA :gemhoho:

Well, not always. They can make some stupid mistakes just like anyone. However, they are trained in business organization and management. It helps when your firm grows bigger and that necessitates more managerial controls at different levels. There are different aspects in MBA training including marketing and finance. So, it definitely helps to have some MBA's around in the company.

• 1 month later...

tbh, im a little disappointed that jing was pulled out from iris 2. because with the news from allkpop that she will be starring on that drama, it was like wow at first. but after this explanation, it makes sense. even though kara is not yet that big with their acting gigs, having the girls do minor roles for dramas will not do their image any justice. true it will pull the ratings up, but that's just the benefit of the show... not really for them. and since they're household names, supporting leads is prolly the minimum role that dsp should accept for the girls.

tbh, im a little disappointed that jing was pulled out from iris 2. because with the news from allkpop that she will be starring on that drama, it was like wow at first. but after this explanation, it makes sense. even though kara is not yet that big with their acting gigs, having the girls do minor roles for dramas will not do their image any justice. true it will pull the ratings up, but that's just the benefit of the show... not really for them. and since they're household names, supporting leads is prolly the minimum role that dsp should accept for the girls.

iris 2 ..finale still #2 or #3 ratings ..huhu and DSP knows what will happen...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems like DSP is looking after Kara well now. That's all I need to know from their continuing success and their happiness individually. I support DSP as long as they support Kara and keep Kara as happy as they make me. :gemwin:  One big happy circle.

• Like 1

It seems like DSP is looking after Kara well now. That's all I need to know from their continuing success and their happiness individually. I support DSP as long as they support Kara and keep Kara as happy as they make me. :gemwin:  One big happy circle.

try this one as well

DSP Media Decision Making Another Story

http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15243

Edited by edr49890
  • Like 1