KARA's Popularity

I know that KARA has lost some popularity die to them focusing so much in their Japanese activities;but how popular are they really? Their physical and digital sales have been on a steady decline, while other groups such as SISTAR, f(x), and recently 4minute have been been selling very well lately. I was so happy when they started gaing popularity and were getting more fans and more recognition; but now that they are losing popularity it really saddens me. Do you guys think that if they had another hit song like mister or lupin and did more variety shows, then they will start to gain back their popularity. Or did you think that their popularity is going to continue to decline?

I know that KARA has lost some popularity die to them focusing so much in their Japanese activities;but how popular are they really? Their physical and digital sales have been on a steady decline, while other groups such as SISTAR, f(x), and recently 4minute have been been selling very well lately. I was so happy when they started gaing popularity and were getting more fans and more recognition; but now that they are losing popularity it really saddens me. Do you guys think that if they had another hit song like mister or lupin and did more variety shows, then they will start to gain back their popularity. Or did you think that their popularity is going to continue to decline?

Before your tears came down..hehe

CHECK this one..KARA's achievement 2012 end and 2013 still growing ..

KOREA PANDORA is their BEST selling MINI album with total 90k physical sales and #1 download at TAIWAN and ALL KILL in s.KOREA and 1,500,000+ Million Download

Edited by edr49890
  • Like 2

Before your tears came down..hehe

CHECK this one..KARA's achievement 2012 end and 2013 still growing ..

KOREA PANDORA is their BEST selling MINI album with total 90k physical sales and #1 download at TAIWAN and ALL KILL in s.KOREA and 1,500,000+ Million Download

http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14347

http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14349

http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14498

http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14394

I know that they are doin more individual things this year than ever before but it just really makes me upset with how people are claiming that because SISTAR had a good 2012 the are now above our girls

I know that they are doin more individual things this year than ever before but it just really makes me upset with how people are claiming that because SISTAR had a good 2012 the are now above our girls

Sistar above KARA? when? 2012? no..

what's your basis? Survey?ranking hehe its just an survey

Check Forbes 2012

Physical KARA>Sistar

2010-2012 Digital sales

Lets compare 2010-2012 Digital sales
KARA still have no comeback 2013
Kara
4 songs charted (Average Chart Position: #59)
Total = 8,460,268 downloads
Average: 2,115,067 downloads/song
SISTAR
5 songs charted (Average Chart Position: #22)
Total = 6,847,152 downloads
Average: 1,369,430 downloads/song
...and Check ALL kara's endorsement ..and CF's and Awards in 2012.. and now KARA Awards in 2013 ..tons of award this year for KARA
Edited by edr49890

By "popularity decline" means losing fans ? Or they stopped gaining fans ? Maybe I am reading it wrong but, KARA is not doing any activities lately that does not mean their popularity is 'declining'. You cant compare between other groups popularity to judge one group how popular they are. I felt that KARA is way more popular than ever before. They are still in the top rankings in all the major surveys/rankings.Like what @edr4980 shared above.

Also thats where the "Comeback" term comes into the picture. To promote new song and gain popularity. Which KARA is preparing for a comeback already. And KARA is doing a very good job for comeback either japanese or korean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think since Japan's market is so big in the asian music scene it a great idea to focus on a crossover to that market and stake their territory there with Japanese fans.  I'm always amazed at how many older Japanese women seem to be fans at their concerts.  That's pretty cool that their demographic can be so wide.  Even my wife likes them better than SNSD because she likes their songs a bit better and their personalities.  

It can seem to be a bit of a down period because it's been awhile since they've had a major push of new material in Korea [yes my attention span is not too long so I go on to the new thing very quickly] LOL  I just say that because I stream Kpop all day long from the internet and I rarely hear any Kara songs for the past two months.  They need to be releasing more songs.

• 1 month later...

The thing about popularity, one key issue is the freshness of the group. It is always the case for everything but especially in Kpop. Kara is already one of the long lasting group…obvious none comparable to SNSD in that department but better than just about everyone else. Other groups like Sistar, 4 minutes, 2ne1, Secret, f(x) are all younger than Kara in terms of experience. Secret had much shorter life but already losing popularity. 2ne1 and 4 minutes both has quite strong fan base but they don’t match Kara’s sales. F(x), Sistar had actually been around for some time but they are also so popular for about 1 and half year but the main reason of these group are simply that they are fresh.

I can see 2ne1 and 4 minutes last longer than other groups as their fan base are more focused. The rest really rely on general market. Kara actually are one of the pioneer try to earn general fan base as they work hard on shows and concerts and repeat presenting themselves to public. It is a nice way to do it but their freshness will go down really quickly using this strategy.

The best way for this kind of strategy to keep their fresh rating up is to explore new markets. If they really think their popularity is regressing, they should move out of Asia market. It will be very different from Wonder Girls:

1. Wonder Girls moved into US market when they were the most popular in Korea and lost practically everything they built. Kara has nothing much to lose.
  2. Wonder Girls did not have someone like Psy to be the pioneer. In fact, GG and Wonder girls are the pioneer for the US market for Kara albeit they failed; Kara can learn from their mistakes.
  3. Kara has more experiences in opening a new market than those girl groups as they had more concert and modelling experiences than them with a weaker marketing company representing them.
  4. Kara is a much better group to work on their foundation as their route to popularity is much harder than just about every other group exist.

I like their strategy to learn Japanese so they can go on interviews without too much help with interpreters. It is especially key to US or European market because being cute and dorky alone won’t really get you anywhere in the western market and it is quite important to say the right thing in the society here.  The good thing is that Nicole and Seung Yeon can speak English quite well but English should be easier than Japanese anyway as we started learning English since we were kids anyway. Learning English is possibly the most important if they want to move into  the US or European market because I feel being cool and sexy is much more important than being dorky and cute in their market.

• Like 1

I think that Kara style is... inadequate for Europe nor USA. They build fanbase mainly on sweet songs, and (in my opinion) USA and Europe wouldn't fall for it, unlike the Asians and older japanese women mentioned here.

Also, it's obvious that Kara won't take another 6 years... I wont be surprised if there would be a wedding in 2014 or 2015, so - is there a time to explore a new market?

I think that Kara style is... inadequate for Europe nor USA. They build fanbase mainly on sweet songs, and (in my opinion) USA and Europe wouldn't fall for it, unlike the Asians and older japanese women mentioned here.

Also, it's obvious that Kara won't take another 6 years...

Hi, you seems to be new into KARA's World, so you will need to do some digging before concluding.
Just yesterday, I was doing some checkings & KARA popularity is still rising (thanks to the Real True Kamilia), So personally I don't have to worry about the FANs factor. As to invade other markets, I think there is a big chance here & KARA still have the whole time to do so.  :)

I did not state that Kara popularity is not rising - its about new markets we wish they could come to...
And there's something else - language - they would need to sing in english >.<   
("new" into kara world? So new on forum = new with Kara? LOL no dude.. I'm in 'this' world for at least 2 years)

Edited by lethern

• 4 months later...

Now after the scandal, which I think is just a silly misunderstanding, and after the departure of Nicole from the group, I think they are not so popular. But I hope that the girls will once again become popular in their own country with their new songs and albums)

• 2 months later...

Hmmm honestly, before they started promoting in Japan I think they were in the Top 3 among the girl groups. But now, sad to say their rank got lower  :(

With JiNi leaving, it'll affect KARA3's popularity for sure,
I just wish them the best now,
I'll still buy their albums and support them til the end,
They said they are preparing for a comeback right?
And fanmeet will happen soon!  :gemcheer:

KARA coming back soon, I'm truly excited,
Tho just them 3, still hwaiting for them.
Fighting! And sometimes, imo, it's not always about the popularity  :gemwin:

Edited by _Onyeonee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm... I don't think Kara is losing their popularity. Their digital sales are getting well than the other groups. Maybe you read those unreal surveys. I researched their status right now and I must say that they have this thing called consistency.