How are the songs chosen?

ZenChai

I'm just curious how this works with Kpop bands (and specifically Kara) if anyone is familiar with it. How much say do the girls have in which songs they use or sing next? Is it decided on the corporate level by DSP, by a team, by their manager, etc.? Since the company that hires them invests so much in their creation, training, and image, it seems like it might be very different from by experience with American music where the artist usually creates or chooses all the songs and the investor just does the promotional work.

Of the same nature, I also wonder how much freedom they were given in their solo work in 2012 or if that was still heavily influenced by what DSP and Kara's management felt they should do to continue promoting Kara in the best possible way.

Whatever the case, I think the whole team behind Kara is doing a great job for so many of us to have fallen in love with them all over the world. :D

Edited by ZenChai

...it seems like it might be very different from by experience with American music where the artist usually creates or chooses all the songs and the investor just does the promotional work...

Don't assume American artists have that much control over what they do either.

Don't assume American artists have that much control over what they do either.

Don't assume I'm assuming anything. I worked in the music industry in Los Angeles for a couple years and toured with my friend's band helping them setup shows and work on releasing two albums. I don't think I could have been much clearer in saying 'from my experience' and 'usually'. I know it's not the case for everyone.

Edited by ZenChai

• 1 year later...