[Info] Summary & Timeline of KARA's Contract Renewal Issues (2013)

yuda

Most of you are aware of the issues right now.

To avoid confusion and worse assumptions breaking out, i decided to follow this thread and make this.

I will try to summarize all news into this thread.

Hopefully this will help us Kamilias to follow the issue with less confusions.

Note:
1. We only include information which comes from official statement from both parties or the girls themselves, or from trusted source.

2. Irrelevant or not directly related information will not be included.

3. Full translation of articles (if available) will still be posted in separated thread in News Box. This thread will just contains the summaries.

4. These are summaries taken from various sources, so i will not put the source link. You can refer to the official news in News Box (if available)

5. This first post will be used as an index.

Summary and Timeline:

• Like 9

- It was started when suddenly a japanese outlet reporting that "Except Jiyoung, 4 members' contract will expire on January and they will disband. Moreover, the arena tour will be cut short too"

DSP stated that was a "baseless rumor"

- The issue become big fast and uncontrollable. lots of korean media reporting it and fans expressed their concern. 

Thus DSP forced to make an official announcement:

Hello. This is DSP Media.

In response to the issues about the contracts between KARA and DSP Media, we are announcing our official stance.

1. Park Gyuri, Han Seungyeon, and Goo Hara 3 members completed their renewal for another 2 years and decided to keep doing their activities together with DSP. Kang Jiyoung is different with other members, her contract will end on April and she decided she need more time to consider which path to take, as a singer, or continuing her study, etc.

2. Jung Nicole doesn't express any intentions to renew the contract. Her contract will expire on January next year.

3. Even though losing 1 member, KARA will not disband and keep on focusing on domestic and international activities.

Thank You

- Jiyoung was revealed also considering to take a break and study abroad

- a couple of news reporting that "Gyuri, Seungyeon, Hara has finished their contract agreement and the terms, but it's still verbally. They haven't officially signed a contract yet"

- a couple of other news also reporting that DSP representative said "The reason of Nicole's leaving is a sensitive issue so we can't talk about it right now, however Nicole was the one who approached us first and conveyed her intention to leave"

- KBS Entertainment Weekly Hot Click reporting phone conversation with DSP Media.

Q: What about Kang Jiyoung and Nicole's contract renewal?

A: Kang Jiyoung informed us that she need to think a little bit more about a couple of things so we decided to wait. As for Nicole, she didn't expressed any intention to renew the contract so her contract will end according to schedule which is on January next year.

- DSP stated that the possibilities of getting new member are very low for now since all the current members already established their images and popularity.

- Nicole tweeted:

my precious kamilia

i made u worried with the kara contract and disbandment issues. . . and hurting u, i'm sorry.
i was working hard doing my activities as a kara member and the japan tour will start soon, when suddenly news about my withdrawal and contract issue surfaces, i was taken aback and loss for words too. however i want to convey my feelings so i write this.

the most important thing. . .i started as a kara member and i want to end it as a kara member too. but when i saw the interview between the reporter and the representative (of the company) about how i will leave kara because i don't renew the contract with the current company. . i was very frustated and confused. . .

Contract with DSP it's not a contract as KARA only but it's also a contract as an artist. i was thinking on whether there is a way for me to be able to continue with the group that i've been together until now although i'm not the company's artist .
i'm just one person. i think just because of me, one person, kara should not disband or change. i was thinking whether it's possible to separate the contract between myself as an artist and as kara member, i've tried to separate my personal things with official things.

i still have lots of goals. while doing my best for kara activities i want to make myself again. i think for that i need lots of time and effort. . .that's why since i want to invest for my future, i decided to not renew my contract with DSP.

as a kara member i received lots of love from kamilia and i want to show u an even better me, however this slowly become bigger and hurt all of you and me too... my heart feels heavy.
i was really hurt too listening to various talks about the contract, withdrawal, member changes, etc . .i think the group called KARA it's not a one person's thing. that's why i had the same thoughts like above since i'm a kara member too and i'm responsible for kara's name.

however if everyone and kara's representative disagree with me and thinks this is impossible, i will come back as a person called Jung Nicole.

regardless of my contract status with the company, i promise i will do my activity as a kara member. i do love kara, now and always will, and i'm happy doing activity as a kara member. . . KARA is a very meaningful thing for me .

thank you to those who love me and supporting me. . .

to sum up:

- it's true Nicole decided to not renew her contract.

- However Nicole still looking for the possibilities of her continuing her activity as a KARA member under DSP while at the same time she able to do other things but not under DSP's wing.

• Like 11

Thank for the summary. Even if I don't want to have high hope for Nicole to remain in KARA (I don't want to be too deceived at the end)...things seems still confuse yet and I think there is still a litle maybe.

Edited by Solin

Thanks yuda both for this long translation and making this thread. Appreciate a lot (: If DSP's management won't change, nothing will change for better. Same people = same problems and mentality.. I don't worry for Nicole at all, she's smarter then we might think, she'll make the right decision. Whatever it is.

• Like 1

Yuda, thank you for making this thread and the translations. 
It's another difficult time for KARA and us Kamilias. Just hang out and wait, I believe that we all can get through this in the end. Stay strong, Kamilias <3

• Like 1

Just read the news two days ago after reading the entire Kara crisis thread which happened two years ago!  

I can't believe this is happening again! Two of the members have to decide on their own stakes in life!  

Surely if Jung Nicole will go on solo for her another management (who will take care and make responsible of her craft), then, it's not DSP's responsibility anymore, but will definitely damage the company's image. Same as Kang Jiyoung, that will also leave to pursue her studies as well next year.  

But one thing's for sure that will happen! Whatever their decision will they make, hope that Heavens will guide them and they will be in good hands!  

P.S.      :lonely:  :teary: Nikori...  :gemdown:  :depressed:  Maknae...  :gemcry:  :sulk:  Kajima!!!   :disappointed:   :frustrated:

• Like 3

Yuda, thank you for making this thread and the translations. 

It's another difficult time for KARA and us Kamilias. Just hang out and wait, I believe that we all can get through this in the end. Stay strong, Kamilias <3

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i miss u lol!

actually thanks to u and yoo for making the first thread and inspire me to stole follow ur step  :lol:

- DSP Media's representative said "For now the company only able to talk about Nicole's refusal to renew the contract. Right now we are considering the possibility of Nicole continuing doing the activity as KARA with other members without renewing the contract."

- DSP Media stated that previously Nicole only said that she won't renew the contract, but about separating the contract, it was the first time they heard about it and they need to discuss about it more.

- DSP also stated that Nicole's tweet was completely a personal decision and she didn't informed DSP about it before she wrote it

• Like 3

- DSP Media's representative said "For now the company only able to talk about Nicole's refusal to renew the contract. We haven't consider yet the possibility of Nicole continuing doing the activity as KARA with other members without renewing the contract."

Yuda, if you can, please post the original article link whether it's in Korean or not so that those who can read Korean can read the article.

Thanks,

- DSP Media's representative said "For now the company only able to talk about Nicole's refusal to renew the contract. We haven't consider yet the possibility of Nicole continuing doing the activity as KARA with other members without renewing the contract."

That's hard or stealth! Nicole to perform as a Kara member but without having a renewal of contract with DSP?

If Nicole really do not wish to sign on with DSP, then I definitely hope that what she tweeted will come true. But to be honest, it will be difficult especially for activities in Japan. For Korea, it may work out since KARA is only releasing 1 album per year but for Japan they need to promote quite a number of times, it will be difficult for her new company to accomodate.

Furthermore, Nicole will be earning lesser than the other members for KARA's activities since her new company will definitely take a cut as well. Her new company may also want her to do other activities that may clash with KARA's activities.

In the end, it is up to whether DSP can accept Nicole leaving but continuing with KARA and how far her new company is willing to accomodate to KARA's activities.

• Like 1

Yuda, if you can, please post the original article link whether it's in Korean or not so that those who can read Korean can read the article. Thanks,

unfortunately, all the things i posted here is a summary from various sources and compilation of the main and similar things to prevent any opinion or assumptions. thus i can't provide u with a 'source'

Oh, I see, Nicole is never intend to leave us, she just feels disappointed towards what the company gave her, it's such a fortune that all KAMILIA still believing her and giving her supports, I think DSP really have to change the attitude, it always torturing KARA and KAMILIA, how much I hope that KARA can manage their future themselves, don't controlled by DSP, but, I'll always supporting KARA until the end as we had walked a long journey since long time ago, and KAMILIA believe in you,KARA......

Nicole, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

it sucks that the contract issues are happening in the midst of Nicole's birthday and the 2nd Karasia concert. I honestly wish DSP had waited until after the concert to publicly announce Nicole's decision about the contract. It makes me sad that Kara had to apologize to Kamilias for something that they didn't even start  :gemcry:

- During KARASIA Yokohama 1st Day, the group made an official apology to the fans, represented by Hara. Nicole didn't said anything but bowed her heads.

- During KARASIA up until the end, Japanese Kamilia collecting signs for petition for DSP to let Nicole continue with KARA, regardless Nicole renewing or no.

• Like 5

I think the busy schedule DSP gave them might influenced Nicole's decision

Also, for JiYoung, I think she might want to be how will turn up her notes at university while being with KARA.

I might be totally wrong though XD