[2009.03.03] Because of failures, the more victorious '2nd Idols'

coffeebeanie

200903030091.jpg

KARA and Suju's Kangin - instead of charisma, they are warm and comfortable, and their appeal is that they are able to evoke a feeling of sympathy, a feeling of familiarity, just like our next door neighbors.

When you become an idol star, does everything just fall into place? Of course not.

For the second place idol group members, the 'next-door' image is their strength. Instead of fierce charisma that is usually associated with idol groups, they push the more comfortable and cuter image, and sometimes, even a bit pitiful side, that enables them to grab the sympathy of others, increasing the people who favors them over other groups. Before, idol stars were all about perfection and the aim for the number 1 spot but nowadays, they are more lenient and relaxed.

'Working class/Livelihood' and 'Idol' - these two words that seems to be contradictory are pertaining not to the best idol groups, but those groups who failed but persevered and whose hard work is very much evident. Female idol group is one of those groups and the term is a term of endearment for them.

Nowadays, they are behind Wonder Girls and Girls Generation, and is considered one of the 'Big 3' in girl groups. However, their popularity does not even come close to that of the two groups. They make up for this by making their our trademark with their cute and bright image, and eagerly working hard in all the programs that they participate in. Even during breaks, they eat eagerly and heartily, winning the hearts of many in the industry.

In 2007, they debuted earlier than Girl's Generation, and about the same time as the Wonder Girls. The past 3 years where they had to witness how the other groups flourished must have been hard for them. They had to acknowledge the success of others, and in the middle of it all, they had to work hard and improve on their witnesses - in all of these, they did not give up. This was their choice after not becoming popular after their debut.

In a new year special program, Goo Hara showed off her fighting skills, which was a surprise for many given her fragile and doll-like features. Her determination and perseverance paid off as the viewers, who weren't aware of who she was, praised her for working hard and giving it her best. In KBS2's Star Golden Bell, Nicole showed off her 4-dimensional personality gaining the love from all its viewers. Nicole came to Korea about 3 years ago, learning Korean along the way. On stage, she shows off her incredible jump, which is ridiculously high for a girl, and a capture of her eating on a cable program spread like wild fire in the internet, once again showing off their 'livelihood idol' image.

Han Seungyeon also showed off this 'livelihood idol' image on the real variety show "Family Needed" where she tried to get one more apple while shopping at the market, or shouting 'I am KARA' at the sauna, or singing in the outdoors to raise funds. And as an MC for Mnet's SSGB, pictures of her eating non-stop while on breaks instead of looking impolite gives off a cute feeling which invokes a feeling of sympathy from the viewers. Recently, as their dorms were revealed, their comfortable image was once again confirmed.

KARA had always explained that 'We give off a comfortable feeling, just like a girlfriend sitting next to you. Even though they haven't reached the top yet, they already have been through a lot, and with their comfortable and warm image, they are able to receive a lot of love from their fans.

source: HERALDBIZ LINK DO NOT TAKE OUT OF THREAD

thanks to mae, anne and joel. :D

translated by coffeebeanie@KARAholic DO NOT TAKE OUT OF THREAD

T/N: translated only KARA related parts.

---

I did not like this article. I translated it as accurately and as diplomatic as I possibly could although at times, I just wanted to smack the writer :) .

^^ yea i agree tin.. i couldn't help but feel insulted like KARA were some wannabes trying to make it .. like their popularity is b/c people feel sorry for them.. like people like them b/c there's soo much sympathy in the idol world :)

but this article is before the girls won on mnet countdown.. i think...

funny how articles change after 1 or 2 or 3 wins huh?

but i like that people see them as a group that works really hard for all that they have received..

when was that ever a shame?

they are normal people and i think they show so much determination.. everyone and anyone can learn from..

i thought their realistic down to earth nature was positive not something to pick on..

i feel like no matter what KARA will be looked down on ..no matter how many awards they get XD

anyways thanks for translating..

some parts of the article are LOL!

Han Seungyeon also showed off this 'livelihood idol' image on the real variety show "Family Needed" where she tried to get one more apple while shopping at the market, or shouting 'I am KARA' at the sauna, or singing in the outdoors to raise funds.

^ this part is too cute~! shouting I am Kara eh hehehe...

she shows off her incredible jump, which is ridiculously high for a girl, and a capture of her eating on a cable program spread like wild fire in the internet, once again showing off their 'livelihood idol' image.

^ hahah! yah, the jump is indeed incredible... and eating?

thanks for sharing.. and btw, I like the pic from this article... they look awesome...

Sympathy? O.O Kara made it this far with their hard work and perseverance. It is not their way to get by with the sympathy of others. They never talk about their bad plight..they never reveal how they feel towards Sunghee's departure. They never say how much her departure had affected them. They mentioned a couple of times that they felt sad about being left out..but that's like..only a small part to their whole story. -.-

boo, well, i love and adore that warm & comfortable feeling that Kara gave off. :)

Before, idol stars were all about perfection and the aim for the number 1 spot but nowadays, they are more lenient and relaxed.

Kara worked hard to get those number 1 spots. And its all because of their hard work, perseverance and determination...not because of sympathy from others.

thanks for translating tin.

source: HERALDBIZ LINK DO NOT TAKE OUT OF THREAD

thanks to mae, anne and joel. :D

translated by coffeebeanie@KARAholic DO NOT TAKE OUT OF THREAD

T/N: translated only KARA related parts.

---

I did not like this article. I translated it as accurately and as diplomatic as I possibly could although at times, I just wanted to smack the writer :) .

thank you for translation ^^

em... would you mind if i'm asking for a permission to translate it and post this news in withkara?

i know that you already cleary said that it can't be taken out but it'd be great if you allow me to share this news to Kamillia in Thailand :)

Edited by UmaN

Kara did not gain their popularity via Sympathy !@#$ :cursing:

They are talented and working hard, all Kamilia knew it

I don't want to criticize other band but i must tell you that i watched all of them and Kara is the best

Sexy image may get attention faster but Kara did not choose that path, they attracted all of us Kamilia with their "Love" and "Devotion" which is real

They might gain popularity slowly but every fans they gain all Love them and support them with complete devotion

Boo writer of the article :)

Thank you for translation :thumbup1:

Edited by makublex

Yes Kara have always worked hard on every opportunity given to them...

And their fans see that well...

And they never asked for sympathy...

They never showed people even to their fans that they were already having a hard time...

They always show or give us a cheerful and comfortable feeling...

And thats how they get attention and not because of sympathy....

Oh well

Thank you very much for the translations Tin onni ^^ and for the tip off Mae onni ^^ , Anne onni ^^ and Joel ^^

yah, they are hardworking and they are friendly idols. they persevere and show their passion for singing eventough they wasnt succesful compare to WG and SNSD.. i know them since "break it" day but only after "pretty girlz and Honey" that i fall in love with them i was like ohhh... they not bad.. KARA figthing!!!!

Kara definetely shows a different side and personality to other

Groups - WG's and SNSD. But gaining popularity through symphaty?!

What, i'm sure they gained popularity through their song "Prety Girl"

And new concept. But yay, they finally reached the top with "Honey"

This week! Kara really is a hard working group, FIGHTING!

they push the more comfortable and cuter image, and sometimes, even a bit pitiful side, that enables them to grab the sympathy of others, increasing the people who favors them over other groups.

that's truly insulting!

KARA achieves what they have today not by sympathy!! :o

KARA had always explained that 'We give off a comfortable feeling, just like a girlfriend sitting next to you. Even though they haven't reached the top yet, they already have been through a lot, and with their comfortable and warm image, they are able to receive a lot of love from their fans.

they are always warm.. :)

and they are already on top now.. :)

thanks mae, anne, joel and tin for the article..

what? the writer's kinda dissing them u know?? i mean to say that "they push the more comfortable and cuter image, and sometimes, even a bit pitiful side, that enables them to grab the sympathy of others" is just sooo..patronising!

and kara works hard if not harder! hey're not content with being second place! nobody will ever be content with second place!

kara fighting!!

KARA and Suju's Kangin - instead of charisma, they are warm and comfortable, and their appeal is that they are able to evoke a feeling of sympathy, a feeling of familiarity, just like our next door neighbors.

Instead of charisma? Sympathy? Someone needs to smack this writer :lol: Sure, they might not have the powerful charisma that WG has, but they do have their own charms and sweet charisma, and they most definitely do not "evoke a feeling of sympathy" from others; everything's due to their hard work and efforts. (argh)

Instead of fierce charisma that is usually associated with idol groups, they push the more comfortable and cuter image, and sometimes, even a bit pitiful side, that enables them to grab the sympathy of others, increasing the people who favors them over other groups. Before, idol stars were all about perfection and the aim for the number 1 spot but nowadays, they are more lenient and relaxed..

"Even a bit pitiful side" ?! -smack!- It's that sympathy thing again. I should just stop here lol, don't want to bash the rest of the article.

Props to the writer for saying that the girls are hardworking though, because that's totally true, but there seems to be a bit of misunderstanding on the writer's part. -sighs-

The thing I hate most about the media is that they automatically sucks up to the more "popular" groups, and looks down on the ones that are less popular.. even if it's not the case, and once that not-so-popular group rises up (like how KARA did), the media automatically showers them with praises and writes about how oh, "we've always known they'd improve! bleh bleh bleh." That gets to me everytime.

Edited by xichigo

WOW ok I got really offended...everyone has pointed out the things I've wanted to say so I'll refrain myself but still wtheck!!! I'm so glad Kara proved these people wrong and got THREE number one spots :thumbup:!!!

Okay, as I was reading, I was like, "Er ... what is this reporter trying to say?" >.>

But I'll look at the bright side and be happy that Kara's gotten THREE no. 1 spots,

and that they're getting more popular by the day-- NO. By the minute xD

Especially since "Love is Fire" is now out woohoo~

But I agree, someone needs to smack the writer.

*smack smack SMACK*

Thanks for the translations, Kara hwaiting~!

It was so weird reading this, It was like he would give them degrading names yet say good things about them 0_o. Anyways I like what Kangin Oppa said, they really are down o earth girls that are not really striving to be #1 but seems to be more of the people tat just love what they are doing. The reporter guy made them seem like they were nothing .... wtgee?!?! Thanks for translations though ^^

• 1 month later...

sometimes im little bit depressed with people who never take KARA seriously even though they already had their no1 song this year , but i guess some people just dont want to acknowledge it or they too fast to judge before get to know kara more .

like a while ago i read a thread about girl groups thats going to dominate on 2009 , i can count people who mention kara with my only right hand . the majority of people said its either WG or SNSD . im ok with WG but SNSD weren't even gonna be this big without gee !

i mean come on . they even mention after school who are like a cheap knock off of pussycat dolls (no offenese*) and 2NE1 who arent even debut yet .

what our KARA gotta do to get people to see them as a talented artist . i really hope :lol: that with their comeback , they will shock everybody with winning DAESANG and BONSANG this year and swept away every prestigious award in korea

FINGER CROSS GUYS* :) :) :) :)

KAMILIA FIGHTING !

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...