[2014.06.26] Park Gyuri: "Do you still see me as a goddess?"

steprider

Viperion translated another similar article with parts of the interview earlier.  This is a translation of the 140626 Naver news article, based on C-Kamilia translation.                       

[interview] Park Gyuri: "Do you still see me as a goddess?"

201406241700547910_1_99_20140626141508_z

Q: Since debut in 2007, in the blink of an eye you've been an idol for 8 years?
A: The fans' reactions are cute. They said "Park Gyuri has been an artiste for 20 years, not 8 years!"  If you include my time as a child actor, it's been 20 years. When I heard that I got a shock. I couldn't believe that KARA has been around for 8 years. I told myself I have to work even harder.

Q: When they mention Park Gyuri they think of the term "Goddess". Do you think of yourself as a goddess?
A: (Laugh) To be honest, when people still refer to me as the goddess, or when people still have that image of me, I feel flustered. That was an image we created 5-6 years ago for variety shows, just for humour effect.  Now when the fans call me "goddess", "goddess", I feel really embarrassed. My real-life character and what I portray in variety shows are direct opposites. If only everyone could understand that image was created just for variety shows. Sometimes when an image is too entrenched it becomes a headache. Even so, there are also times when I thought, "oh, I'm also good at brainwashing people", and I find it quite funny. (Laugh)

Q: When you debut you had the image of a lively and energetic young girl. Now you've become a mature woman. When you look back now at your younger image, how do you feel?
A: To be honest, I don't like to look back at my younger image. I don't really like (my image at that time). When I see all the flaws I feel embarrassed. I can't go back to correct them so it'll become a stress point. (laugh)  If only I could go back in time, I'll make everything more perfect.

Q: Looking back, are there regrets, or things you feel were unfortunate?
A: During those days, I did not give it much thought, but last year I suddenly had this thought: Was I too conservative? Apart from KARA, where I had this big sister image, and I said to myself "I must protect this, I should protect this", this sense of value was very strong. And I consciously lived this way. Now I'm beginning to think, I can afford to be more relaxed, like being out in the wide open plains? I seem to be realizing this a little bit at a time.

I mentioned earlier that I'm an artiste who has been around for 20 years?  Because I started very young, and I had the time to adjust slowly to the life of an entertainer, so since young, "living my life properly" has been a very strong driver in my life. When I was in school, I hated hearing comments like "oh because she's an entertainer that's why she's getting all these privileges".  When I look back now however, I think maybe I could afford to make some mistakes, do something rebellious occasionally. Stop trying to be a model student. What I really wanted to try was a gathering (with classmates/friends?). I regret that I never got to enjoy a happy college/university campus life.

Q: Coming to the subject of K-Pop in Japan, KARA is of course the undisputed pioneer and leader. Did you know your debut in Japan would be a success?
Q: To be honest no. It was only later, when we saw the media coverage that we had some idea. I think at that time, when we were going on stage during our debut, we only had one thought: "Let's do our best.". So for every performance we gave our all. After the performance, when we saw the reports, we would then think to ourselves, "Ok, we did well".

Q: For this photoshoot, the staff can't stop exclaiming how pretty you are. What are your beauty secrets?
A: Recently I've been attending workouts at Micro Studio. As for beauty secrets, rather than follow what other people do, I tend to choose the method suits me. 

Q: What is your ideal type? What kind of men do you like?
A: (Laugh) My ideal type is the same as when I was younger. It's actor Jung Jae Young. He has a manly charm, and also a sense of humour. An image of someone whom you can depend on when you're having a difficult time. Actually, my ideal type is my father, so someone like my father.

Q: How do you de-stress?
A: I meet up with my close friends and drink a beer by the river. We play music, drink some beer, and chat. If I don't have a chance to meet friends, I'd watch a movie at home or even go to a movie theater.

Q: With so many junior girl groups, what are your thoughts when you see them?
A: When I see them I go into a sort of "unnie mode". They are all so cute and loveable. And the girl groups recently are very good, they give you that "Oh they can even do that?" kind of reaction, and sometimes "Why didn't we think of that before?" kind of regret. Seeing all these hoobaes gives us motivation once again. 

Q: You are the big sister in KARA. What does KARA mean to Gyuri?
A: Sometimes I have this thought. If I could put every moment in my life into a book, KARA will be the book cover. Maybe one can see that as a constraint, but in my life, KARA is that kind of existence.

Q: You've been with KARA members for so long, we're curious about your relationship with the members.
A: We've been together for a really long time. Even if we don't say a word, we can understand each other's thoughts. No matter whether we are on which stage, what to say, what to sing, only we know the mutual feelings that exist between us. I can't describe that feeling. Even without saying it out loud, the members understand each other. That's the KARA members.

Q: There are group and individual activities, what are your future plans?
A: There are still many challenges I want to take on. Recently I've been taking a break, and I've been attending classes to improve on areas where I'm lacking. I'm still in my 20s after all, so the desire to try new things is still very strong, no matter whether it is singing, acting or other activities. Personally, when I'm working I feel happiest. When my breaks are too long, I will feel a bit depressed. I still have a strong desire to work. 

Q: Anything you wish to say to the fans?
A: I want to thank all of you for always staying by our side through thick and thin. To all the fans who have always protected us, I'm sorry... I want to say I love you all. It is because of you fans that Park Gyuri exists, that KARA exists.

Source: Naver news

Based on translations by Baidu Gyuri bar.           (Just wanting to note it's interesting how C-Kam often refers to KH for translations and we refer back to them for translations. It's a virtuous cycle. :) )

• Like 22

Q: When they mention Park Gyuri they think of the term "Goddess". Do you think of yourself as a goddess?
A: (Laugh) To be honest, when people still refer to me as the goddess, or when people still have that image of me, I feel flustered. That was an image we created 5-6 years ago for variety shows, just for humour effect.  Now when the fans call me "goddess", "goddess", I feel really embarrassed. My real-life character and what I portray in variety shows are direct opposites. If only everyone could understand that image was created just for variety shows. Sometimes when an image is too entrenched it becomes a headache. Even so, there are also times when I thought, "oh, I'm also good at brainwashing people", and I find it quite funny. (Laugh)

Watching their guestings again, you wouldn't know her goddess aura was just for kicks! And seriously, nobody else could have pulled that off really well except for her. Perfect comedic timing, quick wit, and beauty and charm all in one package.

You know how most pretty but dull girls look for men with a sense of humor? Gyuri has her own sense of humor, she is a rarity among beautiful women.

A: When I see them I go into a sort of "unnie mode". They are all so cute and loveable. And the girl groups recently are very good, they give you that "Oh they can even do that?" kind of reaction, and sometimes "Why didn't we think of that before?" kind of regret. Seeing all these hoobaes gives us motivation once again. 

Could it be possible that she is also referring to the Kara Project contestants? I hope their new members give them motivation.

• Like 1

Watching their guestings again, you wouldn't know her goddess aura was just for kicks! And seriously, nobody else could have pulled that off really well except for her. Perfect comedic timing, quick wit, and beauty and charm all in one package.

That's why the goddess thing never got on my nerves. I could tell, somehow, that she wasn't being genuinely arrogant and was doing it to have fun. That wit is her charm, I think. She's someone you can joke with and not be nervous about it. Even more than stunning beauty, a real prize is a girl who you can relax around, like Gyul.

• Like 1

Q: You've been with KARA members for so long, we're curious about your relationship with the members.
A: We've been together for a really long time. Even if we don't say a word, we can understand each other's thoughts. No matter whether we are on which stage, what to say, what to sing, only we know the mutual feelings that exist between us. I can't describe that feeling. Even without saying it out loud, the members understand each other. That's the KARA members.

Kara members are like sister born to different mothers. When one is feeling down, the others are bound by the same feeling. :kara:

Thank you for the translation, was a nice interview, lol for the goddess image of her but no doubt why she is called like that.

And I love you Gyuri too :thankful:  :)

Viperion translated another similar article with parts of the interview earlier.  This is a translation of the 140626 Naver news article, based on C-Kamilia translation.                       

[interview] Park Gyuri: "Do you still see me as a goddess?"

201406241700547910_1_99_20140626141508_z

Q: Since debut in 2007, in the blink of an eye you've been an idol for 8 years?
A: The fans' reactions are cute. They said "Park Gyuri has been an artiste for 20 years, not 8 years!"  If you include my time as a child actor, it's been 20 years. When I heard that I got a shock. I couldn't believe that KARA has been around for 8 years. I told myself I have to work even harder.

Q: When you debut you had the image of a lively and energetic young girl. Now you've become a mature woman. When you look back now at your younger image, how do you feel?
A: To be honest, I don't like to look back at my younger image. I don't really like (my image at that time). When I see all the flaws I feel embarrassed. I can't go back to correct them so it'll become a stress point. (laugh)  If only I could go back in time, I'll make everything more perfect.

Q: Looking back, are there regrets, or things you feel were unfortunate?
A: During those days, I did not give it much thought, but last year I suddenly had this thought: Was I too conservative? Apart from KARA, where I had this big sister image, and I said to myself "I must protect this, I should protect this", this sense of value was very strong. And I consciously lived this way. Now I'm beginning to think, I can afford to be more relaxed, like being out in the wide open plains? I seem to be realizing this a little bit at a time.

I mentioned earlier that I'm an artiste who has been around for 20 years?  Because I started very young, and I had the time to adjust slowly to the life of an entertainer, so since young, "living my life properly" has been a very strong driver in my life. When I was in school, I hated hearing comments like "oh because she's an entertainer that's why she's getting all these privileges".  When I look back now however, I think maybe I could afford to make some mistakes, do something rebellious occasionally. Stop trying to be a model student. What I really wanted to try was a gathering (with classmates/friends?). I regret that I never got to enjoy a happy college/university campus life.

Q: Coming to the subject of K-Pop in Japan, KARA is of course the undisputed pioneer and leader. Did you know your debut in Japan would be a success?
Q: To be honest no. It was only later, when we saw the media coverage that we had some idea. I think at that time, when we were going on stage during our debut, we only had one thought: "Let's do our best.". So for every performance we gave our all. After the performance, when we saw the reports, we would then think to ourselves, "Ok, we did well".

Q: For this photoshoot, the staff can't stop exclaiming how pretty you are. What are your beauty secrets?
A: Recently I've been attending workouts at Micro Studio. As for beauty secrets, rather than follow what other people do, I tend to choose the method suits me. 

Q: What is your ideal type? What kind of men do you like?
A: (Laugh) My ideal type is the same as when I was younger. It's actor Jung Jae Young. He has a manly charm, and also a sense of humour. An image of someone whom you can depend on when you're having a difficult time. Actually, my ideal type is my father, so someone like my father.

Q: How do you de-stress?
A: I meet up with my close friends and drink a beer by the river. We play music, drink some beer, and chat. If I don't have a chance to meet friends, I'd watch a movie at home or even go to a movie theater.

Q: You are the big sister in KARA. What does KARA mean to Gyuri?
A: Sometimes I have this thought. If I could put every moment in my life into a book, KARA will be the book cover. Maybe one can see that as a constraint, but in my life, KARA is that kind of existence.

Q: There are group and individual activities, what are your future plans?
A: There are still many challenges I want to take on. Recently I've been taking a break, and I've been attending classes to improve on areas where I'm lacking. I'm still in my 20s after all, so the desire to try new things is still very strong, no matter whether it is singing, acting or other activities. Personally, when I'm working I feel happiest. When my breaks are too long, I will feel a bit depressed. I still have a strong desire to work. 

Q: Anything you wish to say to the fans?
A: I want to thank all of you for always staying by our side through thick and thin. To all the fans who have always protected us, I'm sorry... I want to say I love you all. It is because of you fans that Park Gyuri exists, that KARA exists.

Source: Naver news

Based on translations by Baidu Gyuri bar.           (Just wanting to note it's interesting how C-Kam often refers to KH for translations and we refer back to them for translations. It's a virtuous cycle. :) )