[2014.07.03] KARA to return as a 4-member group + DSP Media's explanation

edr49890

[updated] KARA to return as a 4-member group with a new release + DSP Media explains why they decided to go with only one new member

July 1, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

KARA_1404259760_af_org.jpg
KARA will make a comeback as a four-member group including new member Youngji this August!

According to KARA's Universal Music Japan homepage on the 1st, KARA will release a new song in both South Korea and Japan simultaneously on August 27. They will then go on their 'KARA 3rd JAPAN TOUR 2014' kicking off in Fukuoka on October 24.

DSP Media told Star News, "KARA is currently working on their new album and they'll simultaneously release it in Korea and Japan in mid August... They'll carry out their domestic activities first and then go back and forth between Korea and Japan to promote... They'll continue the style of KARA, but there will be a bit of change in their music... Please watch over them to see how it turns out."

Welcome Youngji to KARA as they get ready for their comeback next month!

-
[update] - For those who have been wondering why only one member was chosen, DSP Media has spoken to media outlets to reveal that they had been trying to figure out whether to add two new members or perhaps just go with one. Even up until a few days before the finale, the agency had been talking earnestly to figure out what to do. On the days leading up to the finale, DSP made the final decision to go with one, and a rep explained, "It's definitely not an easy thing to create a team with new members within a group like KARA that's already well known. We were also unsure whether the new member would be able to handle it at a young age. Thus, DSP's intention is that we will add one new member to focus on managing and looking over.

source: allkpop

• Like 10

"It's definitely not an easy thing to create a team with new members within a group like KARA that's already well known. We were also unsure whether the new member would be able to handle it at a young age. Thus, DSP's intention is that we will add one new member to focus on managing and looking over.

I think that, thinking about it, because KARA had much more experience, it would have been better to focus only on one member. I just knew it they didn't even know in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm fine with just one now,
At first I wanted KARA6 but then i realized it would be too complicated after,
We'll trust KARA, Fighting!  :gemheart: 
Youngji you can do it, jst try your best and Kamilias will be there to support you~

• Like 4

Even up until a few days before the finale, the agency had been talking earnestly to figure out what to do

Well, it looks like there was no thing like "ahahaha lets make only one girl ahahaa". (Why people who never worked as managers, who are not responsible for anything, still say that they know better whats good and whats bad?)

It is not that easy as saying "yeah I love KProject, lets make Kara a 10girls band" or as easy as saying "I like only Kara3, I will hate everything if you change it"
Maybe deciding is even harder than accepting all these facts

DSP probably knew that adding new members would make people who wanted just Kara 3 sad (I mean, super MAD)
So - maybe choosing 1 member was seen as a bit better than adding 2 members

(I think if there were no haters like KEEP KARA3 CUZ I HATE THE REST GIRLS, there would be already 2 KBabies in Kara....)  

They still think Kara3 would be better? Well, they lack imagination, DSP does not, that's why they risk and made this project.
Kara3 would be just good for some, but would probably be bad for overall. (let's just say that if something is not good enough, it can be the beginning of an end.)

Ohh myy... the leaving of KaraJiNi was super sad, but looking at some people reactions make me uber sad 9000... Sometimes I regret being a part of fandom altogether with these few haters

Edited by lethern
  • Like 5

Well, it looks like there was no thing like "ahahaha lets make only one girl ahahaa". (Why people who never worked as managers, who are not responsible for anything, still say that they know better whats good and whats bad?) It is not that easy as saying "yeah I love KProject, lets make Kara a 10girls band" or as easy as saying "I like only Kara3, I will hate everything if you change it"

Maybe deciding is even harder than accepting all these facts

DSP probably knew that adding new members would make people who wanted just Kara 3 sad (I mean, super MAD)

So - maybe choosing 1 member was seen as a bit better than adding 2 members

(I think if there were no haters like KEEP KARA3 CUZ I HATE THE REST GIRLS, there would be already 2 KBabies in Kara....)  

They still think Kara3 would be better? Well, they lack imagination, DSP does not, that's why they risk and made this project.

Kara3 would be just good for some, but would probably be bad for overall. (let's just say that if something is not good enough, it can be the beginning of an end.)

Ohh myy... the leaving of KaraJiNi was super sad, but looking at some people reactions make me uber sad 9000... Sometimes I regret being a part of fandom altogether with these few haters

Agree!

• Like 1

I'm really happy DSP made the decision to announce Kara's feelings about Youngji and why they only chose one member. That was really the two biggest points of contention it seemed (not including the "why didn't my favorite win!?" nonsense) so I hope it lessens some of the frustration and confusion. It shows DSP is listening and not just saying "well, we'll do what we want regardless of Kara and Kamilia opinion". It sounds like they made good decisions on both accounts. Go Kara  :gemcheer:

• Like 3

I can understand why it's only one. It's gonna be hard to keep up with in Kara's level. So maybe one will make it less hard in the views of Kara and staffs, although it involves extremely hardcore work.

I will try Kara4 with Youngji :3

Thanks for sharing! :D

• Like 1

that's a silly excuse. their whole business is training YOUNG people and debuting them. ALL their groups and artists debut at a very young age. Jiyoung was much younger when she joined the group. Even younger than the candidates in baby KARA. Even more ridiculous when 3 of the candidates have already debuted in another group, thus have the experience to handle the pressure. furthermore, since KARA has experienced member changes twice, it makes even less sense that they can't handle 2 young members to replace 2 members.

• Like 1

that's a silly excuse. their whole business is training YOUNG people and debuting them. ALL their groups and artists debut at a very young age. Jiyoung was much younger when she joined the group. Even younger than the candidates in baby KARA. Even more ridiculous when 3 of the candidates have already debuted in another group, thus have the experience to handle the pressure. furthermore, since KARA has experienced member changes twice, it makes even less sense that they can't handle 2 young members to replace 2 members.

I think the issue lies with timing. KARA has not released anything since Jiyoung and Nicole left (so about six months of inactivity), and have only done one fan meet in Japan and South Korea during that time (I'm excluding the TV series they had running because it was likely recorded and done before the girls left). DSP seems to want the full group to make a comeback asap, and logically if you add new members only one would be a good choice to try and prepare for the comeback as well as a concert on top of that. It's possible that two would have also been able to do this (moreso one of the three PURETTY members, as like you noted, they would be able to handle it best of Baby KARA's members), but it seems like DSP wanted to play it safe at best.

Also, I can't help but think that if they had added two, some would see it as literally replacing Jiyoung and Nicole for two Baby KARA members, as opposed to just bringing in the one and people seeing it as a new KARA formation as a whole/them returning to their original group number.

• Like 2

I'm in the business of dancing with a network. From what you say, I'd probably judge that you have no idea how managing a team of performers work, especially on ones with differing styles or, in this case, newer members joining. So much time and so much organisation is required even for the addition of one new member (and I know this best, because I AM that new member), so to go with one young member is actually the most cost-efficient, time-efficient and attention-efficient method of doing it.

For Jiyoung and Hara it was a different story because KARA was still recent and new, so they could mould well with the group nonetheless. However, 4-5 years down the line is a whole different story - similar to my dance network who has been around for near on a decade.

I'm not saying DSP shouldn't have added two new members, but their decision to only add one on the basis of focusing on the addition of just one to make a 4-person group is not an 'excuse'.

• Like 4

I'm actually okay with DSP choosing one new member. It makes sense. And I'm totally fine with them selecting Youngji. I like her, she's cool.

But not going to lie, she does have lots to improve on. 

Whereas when Hara and Jing joined, Kara were still considered rookies and not a lot of people new about them. They were basically starting anew.

But anyways, I believe she'll improve by the time our girls make a comeback! :)

The argument about adding one makes sense to me.  I still wonder, though, about the behind-the-scenes attitude and input from Kara 3.  Did they really agree with the Baby Kara Project?  What do they think of Young Ji?  Did they have any say in whether to add one or two, or which one should win?  There are insiders that know the answer to this.  We are not likely ever to find out, no matter what the press releases or Twitter posts say.

The feeling that I have (based only on comments in news releases and my own supposition) is that Kara 3 was less than enthusiastic about this process, but accepted it and understood that adding a girl has advantages.  

I just hope that Gyuri, Hammie and Hara are genuinely friendly and welcoming to Young Ji and very supportive of helping her meet her big challenge. Since they have become established professionals with lots of experience, I am confident that they will at a minimum be business-like and cooperative, working on the same team to meet a team goal.  I am hoping for more than that.  It is going to be a lot easier for Young Ji if she feels accepted enthusiastically.

After Young Ji becomes successfully integrated into a Kara 4, the door is still open to add someone that DSP and Kara like later.  

I try not to think too much about things like this. Whether they add one or two members....its not in my control. Its their decision and I respect it. 

Im happy that Youngji got in as she is my fave. Seeing comments like saying her supporters are not Kamilias by Kamilias is quite hurtful though.

Anyways Im glad shes attracted positive responses from K-Netizens. All of a sudden Koreans seem to have a positive attitude towards Kara.  :rolleyes:

Youngji to do list bucket:

1) Learning Japanese (It's a must now for her, i hope she could make it)

2) Learning all Kara's songs, dance, and choreography (that's a lot)

3) Make a twitter, instagram, and update regularly with selca, etc.

4) Building a fanbase that would support her and Kara together. (Eventually all kamilia will accept her if they still love Kara)

5) Learn and follow Kara's sunbaenim and ultimately being accepted by fans and Kara itself which means blending together as a Kara member.

6) Learn a lot of variety show program to become better when Kara appear in Jp or Kor TV.

If she could accomplished at least that 6 things, I think sooner or later people will accept her as KARA. For me, I'm fine with her since Kara finally comeback again to produce songs!

• Like 1

ArtemisMaster I would add one little thing :D

0. Being maknae (so keep cool, learn everything calmly, keep healthy, dont overwork)

Lol, agreed XD

I have to agree with DSP. An addition to seven-year old group like KARA seems unfair to the old members.

If two members were added, it is very hard for the fans to accept them (especially the ones who love KARA because of JiNi).

DSP doesn't always take the best decisions but this time I'm very satisfied. Since the start I have prefered only 1 new member because this new composition will make easier for Youngji since the comparaison with former members can't be valid. As for Youngji...she is talented and with hard work and willings she will be improved. The most important is that she was able to win the competition with big advance from the other KARA babies so it means she was the most able to win Kamilias' heart.  

• Like 1

Youngji to do list bucket:

1) Learning Japanese (It's a must now for her, i hope she could make it)

Well this is kind of true because of "Kara standards", but otherwise there's no real "must" for it. SNSD has nine members and only Sooyoung and Seohyun can speak Japanese in a conversational level. 7/9 of them can only introduce themselves and say thank you in Japanese and otherwise talk in Korean and use an interpreter. So it's not that she can't be successful in Japan without learning Japanese. But as the rest of Kara can answer most questions in Japanese, like in interviews and variety shows, Youngji would really look bad in comparison if she only speaks Korean.

• Like 1

KARAda I think it won't look bad that someone isn't speaking Japanese just month after her "birth in Kara"

It would pretty like looks normal

if she learn Japanese, then it would be amazing for JKamilias :D

I'm glad that I am on the WATCHING end of ArtemisMaster's list, rather than the DOING end!  That's all I would need--learning all this dancing and public relations while at the same time learning conversational Japanese.  In fact, if I just had to learn Japanese and nothing else, I would never make it.   :facepalm:

Won't they release two albuns (korean and japanese).

I think they won't sing a lot of KARA5 songs (maybe I'm wrong) but they releasing two, not only for show japanese and korean fans what YoungJi is capable but to sing them on the tour too.

I think the most difficult thing for YoungJi will be in the stage peforming to all that people with KARA3 and learn a bunch of dance moves