[2014.08.18] Four-Member Group KARA Gives First Look at Team Work with “Mamma Mia” MV and “Day & Night” Album

Jappy

kara-mamma-mia-mv-800x450.png

Now officially a four-member group, Kara has released the music video for their title song, “Mamma Mia,” off their sixth mini album, “Day & Night.” The album is also out. Huh Youngji joins the Park Gyuri, Goo Hara, and Han Seungyeon after now former members Nicole and Kang Jiyoung left to pursue their own careers.

“Mamma Mia” is powerful dance track composed by Duble Sidekick. The song was written to emphasize Kara’s vocals, as well as Kara’s newly energized synergy. The music video brings all four members of Kara together and fans get can their first taste of the group’s new look and team work.

Kara holds their album release showcase today. For those who can’t go, the showcase will be broadcast on SBS MTV and TBS on August 24 at 9 p.m. It will air on SBS on August 26, 2:05 p.m.

Source: Soompi

• Like 5

You see? This is how SEXY should be!

Not just some mini outfits and see-through outfits things,,or just some daring sexy moves,,

Ladies and Gents , THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL SEXY!! No need for some over-sexy outfits,,why? cuz they all already sexy,,they all have that Sexy charm inside them,,they already sexy without they even tried it...

The dance moves itself is really good and not too much came with sexiness,,which is cool cuz they made it look sexy!! HA HA HA HA HA

Hara , she got most of the lines in this song and she freakin killed it all!! DAYUM!!

Gyuri Yeoshin , your beauty is just ashdhsjadwddgf :gemhyper: :gemhyper:  look at you on that red dress,,oh my goshhhhh :inluv: :inluv:

Hammie is clearly now in charge of KARA's "Sexiness" charm , she turned from a cutie hamster into a sexy angel of kpop world,, :syc2:

Last but not least , Youngji , her voice,,its just WOW me the second i hear her voice,,,and amazzzzzinng how she could simply blended in with other members in this MV ,, i mean she still looked just abit stiff,,but i can understand that,,this is her first official MV,,and honestly she already nailed it i personally think.. :chipper: :cheerful: :chipper:

Now lets take the crown on the music shows,,on the music charts,,whatever it is that have crown in it,,KARA should be in it and took those crown for themselves,,mwahahahahahahah

KARA ALL THE WAY!!! :adore: 

• Like 4

The song sounds nice (without understanding the lyrics).

But the video is bad, it has too many fast-paced cuts which really don't fit together or form a solid package. I think Step MV has even more even more fast-pace cuts, but that video has a nice flow to it. This doesn't. In Step MV the camera movement continues from one shot to another. In this new video, camera is randomly going all over the place. I think I counted five different directions in two seconds time at some point. And what's with the mirror effect with faded colors? It looks like something that was done in the late 70's. I suppose all that could be called as "artistic choice", but all these segments look like they belong to different videos... I read someone speculating that the purpose is to "hide" Youngji's presence (or lack of, vocally speaking). I don't know if that's true or not, but the video really feels surprisingly amateurishly edited. Compare with Step MV, which is a prime example of music video editing, even if you hated the music itself.

And it seems that what I speculated in some other thread is true. The song must have been mostly recorded when Youngji came along, and they just recorded few background lines and fillers with her.

At first I couldn't hear YoungJi's voice in the chorus, but I can now. I'm happy that she fitted on the MV with the other members so well. And the part where she covers her face with the book is just cute.

I clap for Hara because she really did it with this music ^-^ though I think they are overcompensating (sorry my english) for Nicole and JiYoung and could have some extra lines to OJ instead of putting all on Hara. It is what I think.

It's a different kind of STEP MV and, even if KARAda has a different opinion on the MV edition, I think it was fine. It is a fast-pace music and so it requires a fast-pace edition...it can't be like Damaged Lady. The only thing I didn't like is that, because of the fast-pacing edition, I couldn't tell apart OJ sometimes. -.-'

I wasn't expecting the break-dance part =) it was very good.

I was expecting OJ to have least lines compared to the original members and I was right. I hope that changes with the time though. She nailed it. Her voice is great.

If there isn't any discrimination against OJ and the new group line-up, they can win some prizes with this song.

I hope they release a MV making =)

Edited by Mirytie
  • Like 1

It's a different kind of STEP MV and, even if KARAda has a different opinion on the MV edition, I think it was fine. It is a fast-pace music and so it requires a fast-pace edition...it can't be like Damaged Lady. The only thing I didn't like is that, because of the fast-pacing edition, I couldn't tell apart OJ sometimes. -.-'

Just to clarify, I am not against fast-paced editing as such, if it's well done. In this case, IMHO, it isn't.

For instance, the part 3:29 - 3:31 looks like it was lifted right out from Step MV, except for the clothes. But that part has absolutely no reference point to anything else within Mamma Mia MV, and it is even made painfully obvious by the fact that it is both preceded and succeeded by slomo scenes.

In comparison, every scene and every cut in Step MV seems to be well thought and executed, like I said about camera movement which continues from one scene to another.

Of course, this only my opinion.

If I couldn't express myself clearly, I recommend reading this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_editing    

I clap for Hara because she really did it with this music ^-^ though I think they are overcompensating (sorry my english) for Nicole and JiYoung and could have some extra lines to OJ instead of putting all on Hara. It is what I think.

I was expecting OJ to have least lines compared to the original members and I was right. I hope that changes with the time though. She nailed it. Her voice is great.

If there isn't any discrimination against OJ and the new group line-up, they can win some prizes with this song.

I hope they release a MV making =)

yeah,,Hara really killed her lines,,i mean all of her lines,,the singing,,the rap,,her dances too...and i must agree with you if u say they put too much part that should be Cole's and Jing's  to Hara herself instead of sharing it with OG too,,i mean cmon man, OG is a KARA now and she deserves more lines on the song itself,,maybe theres still abit of discrimination act from the dsp people because maybe they think that OG is really really new here,,and even her singing part i think is somekind of "filler" , while other 3 has already finished the recordings ,, she came up and fill some spot in the other member's part...  I can still understand that because this is her very first official MV project along with KARA,,but if this  kind of thing happened again on their next album,,i guess we all already know who to be targeted..hihihihi ,, and no i will not be as kind as i am now seeing such treatment "they" give to OG,,,i mean why should discriminating such trivial things like that? why dont they just take a risk,,give OG more lines in the song,,who knew people would love the song even more because of her part..hahaha

Just my opinion though

• Like 1

KARAda just how many videos of kpop/jpop have u seen so far? Because what u found out "not well done" is pretty normal, and that brings the energy to MVs.

This MV more resembles me of japanese MVs.. is it japanese or korean MV?

Edited by lethern

"Mamma Mia" didn't come out as bad as I was expecting from the preview, but it's still a bit weak compared to their past singles. Hopefully their next Japanese single* or Korean release (whichever comes first) has a stronger lead track.

*Next single after the Japanese version of "Mamma Mia".

I watched the MV so many times since it got released! KARA LOVE!

But regarding the editing yeah it was quite choppy. I think they are trying too hard to fit too many concepts into a 4 minute video.

Not that they shouldn't do it; they can, but this time it wasn't done well at all. It was not bad, but neither does it surpass past videos like step for example.

Well, I will just go back to watching the mv again, my Hammie~

Okay so I know some have issues with the new mv and song, and album but for me it a refreshing experience. Maybe it's because of all the hype of their comeback but I like that Karas new lineup ditched their cutesy wutesy concepts from their japanese mv's (not that Damadged lady or Pandora was cutesy but aside from "Speed UP" their japanese PVs where cutesy wutesy) and came back with something thats fierce and and sensual sexy. I really have to give it to them, they really gave the sexynes in Kpop a much needed dose of calssy, I mean yeah okay it's easier to do that if you are an allready established group but still I take my hat of to the ladies.

Also I really like the song and the mv (while yeah it could be better) doesn't disspoint and their cireography... well Ihaven't seen kara this energetic in a while.

I really hope they will do well, and the transition from KARA5 to KARA4 becomes a boon for them instead of a detriment.

• Like 1

It also looked to me lik much of this was recorded or well on the way before 0J was selected, and she was then fit into the production with less involvement than hopefully will be the case in the future.

As for video editing, I don't think that this editing had the quality of the editing in Step.

I am just happy to see KARA back and have high hopes for this comeback and for the future.

KARAda just how many videos of kpop/jpop have u seen so far? Because what u found out "not well done" is pretty normal, and that brings the energy to MVs.

I have seen some, but I am by no means an addict to that stuff. I wouldn't go as far as calling obvious continuity mistakes normal, but even if that's the case, that shouldn't mean that it's OK to make those mistakes. Again, I am ready to be corrected at all times if I have misinterpreted Mamma Mia MV, but until then, I will label it at least a sloppy job.

I will link here a video from Orance Caramel. While this video is by no means perfect (I noticed at least one out of focus shot and unintentional shaking twice), it is mostly a good package. The camera movement is used to separate the story segments from singing segments, (most of the time) camera moves forwards and backwards in the singing scenes, while it moves sideways in the acted drama scenes. Also, all zooming is done at same speed, except for one zoom, which is faster, and thus is emphasising the surprise.

As an example about great and (nearly) flawless continuity cutting, I recommend watching Push MV by Dio. The "real" video starts about one minute into the video (right after the funny Tenacious D intro). Great song and the video matches the music as well as offering fast-paced continuity cuts. The only thing that's horribly wrong with it is the cheesy flying guitars graphics thingy during the solo, but that doesn't ruin the entire video.

Of course there's some irony in the fact that Ronnie James Dio himself reportedly disliked the video... but even if his artistic vision didn't match the MV director's visions, it's still a great video.