[2014.08.30 ] Interview KARA Spills on Choosing Waacking Dance for ‘Mamma Mia’

edr49890

[interview] Kara Spills on Choosing Waacking Dance for ‘Mamma Mia’

KARA talked about its ventures into waacking.

During recent interview with Newsen at the waiting room for KBS’s Music Bank, Kara confessed that the members gained arm muscles due to waacking dance.

Kara’s new title song Mamma Mia catches attention with the performance based on waacking dance, involving difficult and fancy movements.

74400002.jpg

In order to pull off the performance for Mamma Mia, the Kara members had to spend many hours sweating and practicing.

Kara revealed during its comeback showcase on August 18, “We worked hard since this is our first time trying waacking but it wasn’t something that anybody can do. We received a lot of massages in the beginning because we had shoulder pain but now our dance feels a bit like waacking.”

When asked if they regret challenging themselves with waacking, they answered, “We think the choreography came out well suited for the song. We will probably get more used to it as we perform more on stage. Our body has been feeling less tense compared to the first time we practiced.”

Han Seung Yeon then confessed, “I gained egg-sized muscles on my arms because of our dance,” and Park Gyuri said, “This new choreography is the most difficult out of all the choreography we’ve done so far. But if we want to seem cool we have to wrap it up well even if our insides get twisted.”

74400003.jpg

Currently in her mid-20’s, Park Gyuri brought up her physical fitness saying, “I don’t want to be different than when I was in my early 20’s but after I perform on stage, my joints feel different than before. I don’t want to lag behind Youngji so I’ve been putting patches on my body to help me get through.”

About what they want to hear on their current promotions, Kara said, “There have been positive comments on Kara before but there have also been biases. We would like to get rid of those biases through our current promotional activities. We want to show a better side of us since we’ve recruited a new member too. We’re working hard so we hope that it shows on stage.”

Photo credit: Newsen

Source: MwaveNews

• Like 13

the questions and replies in japanese

Q. 1年ぶりのカムバックです。 今回の舞台に対する反応はどうなのですか?

- "パフォーマンスが良くなったという話を聞いて楽しく活動しています。"(スンヨン)

Q. 新しい歌'マンマミーア'に対して紹介してください。

"新曲'マンマミア'は少女が夜にパーティーを始めるコンセプトです。 振りつけも'ワッキングダンス'を新しく試みたが、手首スナップを活用する動作が多いです。 リフレーンに出てくる櫓を漕ぐ動作がダンスがポイントです。"(ハラ)

Q. 今回のアルバムでより一層成熟した感じがします。 今回のアルバムのコンセプトは何ですか?

"今回の'DAY & NIGHT'アルバムはセクシーさよりは楽しい感じを表現しました。 自分たちの女性としての成熟を意識せずにしたことで意図なくそのような感じが出たようだ"

Q. 1年という時間の間大変な時間を過ごされたようです。 自分を支えたものがあるならば?

"私は自分自身に投資をたくさんしました。 私自身を信じて不足を補い新しい姿を見せるために熱心に準備しました。" (ハラ)

"少し矛盾しますが、仕事のために難しいことを忘れました。 これまで仕事のことを考える余裕なく日々追われながらのことが多かったため仕事に集中して時間を過ごしました。" (スンヨン)

"時間に余裕ができたので没頭することを探しました。 ボーカルやダンスレッスンを受けて何か習って空きの時間を満たしました。 時間になるたびに両親と共に過ごしたのがたくさん助けになりました。" (ギュリ)

Q. KARAはすでに8年目グループになりました。 自身にとってKARAとは何でしょう?

"私にとって'KARA'はタイトルのようです。 どこへ行っても私個人よりはKARAのパク・キュリとして見られています。 それだけ8年という時間を無駄に過ごさなかったということでしょう。 今後の姿をどのように作って行くのかが課題です。"(ギュリ)

"私にとってのKARAは難しい存在です。 8年目になったが、常に難しいことが多いようです。 解決するのが難しくて悩みも大変で準備する過程も楽しいことだけあるわけではなく、それでもそれ自体が私のようです。" (スンヨン)

Q. ヨンジさん、KARAメンバーに決定した時どんな気持ちでしたか?

"目の前に家族がいましたが、家族が立ち上がったときに実感が出ました。とても嬉しかった、これまでの時間がフィルムのように流れて行きました。とても幸せでした。" (ヨンジ)

Q. ヨンジさんは明日が誕生日ですね。 何か計画がありますか?

"明日ファンサイン会があります。 スケジュール消化して私も誕生日を忘れそうです。 家族も明日私の誕生日であることを忘れたようです。" (ヨンジ)

Q. メンバーの1人に対して何か言いたいことがあったらお願いします。

"ギュリ姉さん! 常に不足してますがそばで見守ってくれて背中を押してくれてありがとう。 熱心にして良い姿見せて差し上げますね。" (ヨンジ→ギュリ)

i hope the fans who have some surprises for 0g at the fan sign event today.

Edited by red4summer
  • Like 1

Q.  It's your comeback after a year. How was the response on your performance?

-I've heard that our performance has gotten better, so I'm energized. -Seungyeon

Q.  Please introduce your new song, Mamma Mia.

-Our new song, Mamma Mia's concept is of a young girl who started to party at night. The choreography, which has waacking, is also a new style for us. There are a lot of wrist snaps for this one. During the refrain, the dance point of rowing the boat comes out. - Hara

Q. This album gives off a mature feel. What's the concept of the album? 

-More than sexiness, DAY & NIGHT gives a fun feeling. It's a realization of your own maturity as a female. I think it has that intention.

Q. During the past year, you have gone through a difficult time. What did you do to bring yourself up?

-I have done a lot of investments. I also believed that in order to compensate for my shortcomings, I had to work hard so I can show a better image. -Hara

-"少し矛盾しますが、仕事のために難しいことを忘れました。 これまで仕事のことを考える余裕なく日々追われながらのことが多かったため仕事に集中して時間を過ごしました。" (スンヨン)

"時間に余裕ができたので没頭することを探しました。 ボーカルやダンスレッスンを受けて何か習って空きの時間を満たしました。 時間になるたびに両親と共に過ごしたのがたくさん助けになりました。" (ギュリ)

Q. KARAはすでに8年目グループになりました。 自身にとってKARAとは何でしょう?

"私にとって'KARA'はタイトルのようです。 どこへ行っても私個人よりはKARAのパク・キュリとして見られています。 それだけ8年という時間を無駄に過ごさなかったということでしょう。 今後の姿をどのように作って行くのかが課題です。"(ギュリ)

"私にとってのKARAは難しい存在です。 8年目になったが、常に難しいことが多いようです。 解決するのが難しくて悩みも大変で準備する過程も楽しいことだけあるわけではなく、それでもそれ自体が私のようです。" (スンヨン)

Q. Youngji, how did you feel when you became a member of KARA?

-My family was there in front of me. When my family stood up, all my feelings welled up. I was so happy. It was like I was in a film. I was very happy. - Youngji

Q. Tomorrow is Youngji's birthday. What do you have planned?

We have a fansign event tomorrow. Because of our schedule, I actually forgot it's my birthday tomorrow. I think my family has also forgotten. - Youngji

Q. If there is something you want to say to one member, please say it now.

Gyuri unnie! Although I'm still lacking, thank you very much for always looking after me and always giving me a push. I will work hard to show you an even better me. -Youngji to Gyuri

The others are a bit long, so I'll translate when I have time.

• Like 4

I saw Seungyeon mentioning her guns on a radio show recently! 6:44 and she may have talked about biceps powa after the song 14:33, I don't know, korean-illiterate here T^T

And when I watched Mamma Mia (can't remember mv or live), I noticed Gyuri gained some awesome biceps  :VxmQu:

Is it really called "waacking"? I thought Pops in Seoul made a typo, but I guess that's the official way to write it in English kekeke

• Like 1