[Haradoll] Success in Japan?

Hara Amuro

If Hara continues to improve her vocals, does anyone think she may have the best shot at performing in Japan either with the group or by herself? She looks very doll-like and Japan love artists who looks cute and unique. I actually thought she was Japanese when I first saw her perform and I know I wasn't the only one who thought so too.

Edited by anne

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that she has all of the qualifications to make her a successful idol in Japan, except that she is not Japanese.

She would have to be able to speak & sing in Japanese first I think. Also it is a very competitive market, but I would like to believe you are right. Still as much as I Love her, I do not think she is yet ready to be solo in any way. (maybe just for a single performance? a special appearance or something)

In many respects she reminds me of Tomomi Itano from AKB48, especially with brown hair. both in looks & in personality, although Tomomi is a bit more self appreciating.

But even though Tomochin is a front girl in AKB, she still has to work very hard to do well in the Japanese market. Judging it using Tomochin as a comparison, I think for now Hara is best off winning the Korean market. Hara is my favorite idol, So I want to see her Loved everywhere, but I think Japan is a hard market.

nah, Hara just joined Kara. Even if her vocals improve dramatically, i doubt she will ever ditch the group for a solo career. She got to where she is today because of Kara. DSP is the only company that gave her the chance to debut as an entertainer. Hara is a wise girl, i doubt she will forget her roots and just leave for Japan one day just because she might be well-accepted there. :)

if talking about Kara as A GROUP, yep, they might have a chance at being successful in Japan. They seemed to like their music. :)

she would have a chance along with KARA.

i love her improvements :)

no doubt about that.

i think together as a group would be

better to debut. don't you think?

i agree, she has the JAPANESE idol vibe.

but i would like for her to stick with KARA :)

that's her family.[the members&fans]

I think she could make it. If she went, though, I think she should just like, sing a song for an OST or something or do a collab with another artist, not release a solo single. But not now, maybe not even for another year or two. KARA is just starting to taste fame, and they need a lot more of it before they start branching out into other countries. Maybe after more hits and more wins, maybe after they're more well-known in asia. But if she/KARA goes into Japan now, they're going to have one heck of a hard time adjusting. And (disregarding the language barrier if she goes), if she already looks like a famous Japanese star, then she's going to have something really special to set her apart. Because people aren't really interested in look-alikes. you know? (:

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that it takes a very long time to improve on singing ability and to learn another language. I don't think Hara could become a solo artist anytime soon. I do think she has a future in acting if Kara breaks up for any reason.

Edited by Hara Amuro

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, I'm not too sure about this. It will be a very bad idea for KARA to promote in Japan any time soon. Because KARA's popularity is just starting to hit off, I feel they need to establish a solid foundation in Korea FIRST, maybe stay active for another 2 to 3, heck, maybe even 4 years, before considering expanding to promoting in another Asian country. Or else.. the results will be very dismal indeed.

Also, Japanese is very adverse to foreign artists. DBSK, after releasing so many singles, is only beginning to get popular, and we're talking about DBSK here! And look what happened to Tenjochiki.. .__. SS501 isn't doing too well in Japan either, judging from the singles and album sales. I'm very doubtful if KARA can hit it off in Japan, really. But if DSP is really considering it, KARA has to secure a bigger fanbse in Korea first. And, of course, perfect Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well if we do take this seriously, yes, in terms of looks Hara has more than a 50-50 chance.

She resembles the typical Japanese idol like those from Morning Musume etc. [in fact, IMO, she's even prettier than some current members of Momosu ;p]

And anyway, with regards to her vocals, while I admit that hers still has a long way to go compared with the other group members, from what I've heard of Japanese girl groups so far, vocals are underrated. When it comes to the Japanese market. Jk! But seriously, I don't think her voice is an issue here, what matters to the average wota is his idol's face and kawaii factor. Second to that is personality. Unfortunately [or fortunately], the finesse of vocals does not matter. Kusumi Koharu, anyone?

But as others have pointed, learning a new language is quite difficult. And improving your accent too. Plus despite the seeming similarities in Jpop and Kpop, the Japanese pop market is actually a different ball game altogether. What works for Korea does not mean it might also guarantee success in Japan.

Hara has a chance, but there are a lot needed to work on. The language barrier is first and foremost priority. And I agree with one of the users here, Hara needs something 'special' to break her way through the myriads of girl groups already in existence in Japan.

p.s. wow, first post here. and a very long one apparently. 8P

Someday, Kara will be promoted and worked in Japan like SS501.

I think DSP is keeping KARA in Korea b/c they're making a lot of money out of KARA's popularity right now. Also, DSP knows that SS501 is very popular in Japan, so it's the same situation.

Hara could probably make it, but it'd be difficult to stand out b/c there are sooo many female artists in Japan, and a lot of them go for either the "cute/lolita/punkrock, sexy, or tomboy" look. As for KARA the group, I think they'd be able to make it.

Are there even many girl groups out in Japan? All I can think of is Hello! Project...The rest are all boybands or co-ed.

^

Yup there are. AKB48 for instance. Already 40+ girls in there. There are subunits for them.

And there's Idoling!, 9nine, SPEED and many others. H!P has an empire of girl groups under their wing. Eggs, Buono, C-ute etc.

But IMHO, Korean girl groups are better [costumes and dance-wise] than Japanese ones. So I think Kara as a group can make it. I'm just not sure if Hara goes solo. Hmm...they just need a new style, like idk sexy chic or preppy freestyle uh..that kind of thing. But definitely not the image they used in Honey and Pretty Girl bc that's just like most Jpop girl groups.

• 1 month later...