[14.11.17] Nicole 'First Romance' Album Preview

kelsniff

I'm really sorry, Nicole. If I would base my opinion on the samples, I'd be really disappointed.

Her voice has a fuller, richer sound now, almost sounds like Gyuri, and I really like how her voice can now stand alone, but there's something missing and it's not because we're used to hearing her in a group. It's because the music is somewhat empty and weak.

I really didn't mind if the songs were mostly slow, but in contrast to Nicole's voice, the music was just so lifeless! I've listened to the video for 6-7 times now, and so far the only tracks that I think sound good are 'Innocent' and 'Joker'... the instruments sound too thin for a solo performer, and I also listened to the 'Day & Night' album preview just for comparison, and you'll clearly see the difference. I'm even wondering if the tracks were originally composed for a group but went to Nicole on short notice. If this is all Sweetune, I'm more disappointed in them than in Nicole. Her voice is ready, but the music just isn't.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's because I expected a lot from her and to hear these samples is just so heartbreaking. 
  I hope the full album (or even just the title track) will be able to erase this first impression.

• Like 2

Nightvisiongoggles, if I got it right, you don't like the 7-2 and the love tracks that much. These two are probably ballads, and I do like that last one, it sounds nice, but is too short to be comparable for me yet. (there's some male rap... compare rap style to pop one?)

Anyway, sometimes it may not go well with one's taste, even so I think it just happens, its okay.

I found some other people were really liking this preview

Edited by lethern
  • Like 1

Nightvisiongoggles, if I got it right, you don't like the 7-2 and the love tracks that much. These two are probably ballads, and I do like that last one, it sounds nice, but is too short to be comparable for me yet. (there's some male rap... compare rap style to pop one?)  

Anyway, sometimes it may not go well with one's taste, even so I think it just happens, its okay.

I found some other people were really liking this preview

Well, like I said, slow songs/ballads are fine with me, as long as they are done right (or any song for that matter). I even prefer simple but well-done slow songs over overstuffed dance songs. 

My main issue is the quality of the music--somehow the instruments come across to my ears as rushed or generic, as though the arranger didn't have enough time to find sweet spots so the accents and bass lines sounded like they're just there to blend in, and in the end you feel like it's formulaic, or there's something missing.

I'm still keeping my hopes up because these are just previews, and also keeping my fingers crossed that B2M intentionally didn't let us hear the good parts of the songs.

• Like 1

Info on First Romance Mini Album

1. Innocent?

Lyrics: Nicole, Eric Nam

Composers: Go Namsoo, Han Boram

Arrangement: Go Namsoo, Han Boram, Hong Seunghyeon

2. MAMA

Lyrics: Song Sooyun, Min Yeonjae

Composers: Han Jaeho, Kim Seungsoo, Lee Changhyeon

Arrangement: Lee Changhyeon, Hong Seunghyeon

3. 7-2=Misunderstanding

Lyrics: Song Sooyun, Min Yeonjae 

Composers: An Joonseong, Han Jaejo, Kim Seungsoo

Arrangement: An Joonseong, Hong Seunghyeon

4. Joker

Lyrics: Song Sooyun

Composers: Han Jaehoo, Kim  Seungsoo

Arrangement: Han Jaehoo, Kim Seungsoo, Hong Seunghyeon

5. Love

Lyrics: Song Sooyun

Composers: Choo Daekwan, Han Jaeho, Kim Seungsoo

Arrangement: Choo Daekwan, Hong Seunghyeon

Big thanks to @firewater07 for the translations.

Nicole wrote lyics for Innocent? smile.png

Sweetune group worked on all songs, including arrangement and lyrics.  

Source: ournikori.blogspot.com

- See more at: http://ournikori.blo...h.BhnKj34z.dpuf

Edited by Zhiyann
  • Like 3

I need to listen it again a few times. But yeah I totaly agree with @nightvisiongoggles. The first time I heard the preview I felt nothing more then.. dissapointment! I pre-ordered the album, am super excited for the debiut. Loved all the teasers so far. But the preview is total joke to me! Yeah.. now I got the idea more or less about the"quality" ? Can't really discuss it refering to short preview but then they should've chosen different parts or don't reveal it at all.  :gloomy:  Coz at this state it mostly sounds so so :foul: which is unacceptable. I wouldnt stand it if Nicole failed due to crappy quality. :rambo:
I'm really crossing fingers that it was just a mistake. YES! COLE is ready! So is her choreo and singing. Even sweet tune took part in the whole process. It should sound great with all this features.

Was hungry at the time I listened to it and wrote this post :hungry: It's not that bad after another try but can't forget about the first impression. Can't wait for the album. She did change with singing. So far innocent is leading for me. Hope the performance of MAMA will reflect the 2nd teaser.

Edited by Tomolo
  • Like 1

despite @nightvisiongoggles and @Tomolo comments,

I'm not disappointed by her preview songs, is this perhaps because I'm not expect really much from her?

I'm not saying she isn't capable doing of this, she's a hard worker as you know, and I'm still looking forward for it.

[i'm not expecting her to be like my several favourite soloist like Younha, BoA, or maybe YUI for this first time she do the solo]

For this preview, i'm positive for most of the songs, especially Joker.

Love isn't that bad, but it seems like an average ballad songs,

Innocent --> ?? i don't really get it, didnt get the feel of this song

7-2 ; MAMA ; I can't really describe it, but I'm starting to like it.

I've already repeated this preview over than 10 times because I like it overall...

Last note from me:

I'm can't disappointed with Nicole's album, as I'm didn't fall for her because of her performance, rather because of her personality :P

As some of you might seen I've ever said that I'm even dislike her when I don't really know her...

[yes, actaully I dislike nicole at first, not now she's my ultimate bias!]

Anyway, Thanks to nicole for your hard working to made this album! I'll always support you no matter what!

Lets make nicole doesn't disappointed! She already working really hard!

EDIT: replaced some words, thanks @lethern for the suggestion! Sorry for my long post...

Edited by lukas_95
  • Like 1

Well, I based my opinion on Mamma Mia's preview track and thought that So good and Mamma Mia were quite underwhelming.

I even said that So Good sounded like a troll song XD

Then, I was proven wrong and I even regret thinking that both were disappointing songs lol.

Also, I don't really judge a song by its preview tracks since they only give you a "snippet" in comparison to a songs whole so maybe we should all just calm down and keep the hype up in preparation for when we get our own albums! :D

And just to say my piece, I am really pumped up by her song lineup. Really feels like she dug deep back into her roots and kept a solid focus on the style that she likes/works for her.

• Like 1