KARASIA THE 3RD JAPAN TOUR: Thoughts and Predictions for a new year and a new Kara

Megatherion

KARASIA THE 3RD JAPAN TOUR: Thoughts and Predictions for a new year and a new Kara    

Finally, we’ve been able to watch the glorious awesomeness of the third KARASIA iteration, and there’s a lot to say now that the hype is cooling down and we can fully breathe again.

So, let’s get into it. We start with the VCR(?), which follows the theme of “Day & Night”, simple enough it goes straight to the action. It points out both cute and sexy sides of KARA and opens for the first part of the concert.       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRC6pL-1HI      

The girls are on stage. They look gorgeous, but also, different. Much more mature and graceful than the last time, with a powerful confidence that fills the environment. Mamma Mia! begins along with a very surprising but grateful performance of Pandora.   

Mamma Mia is awesome as we know it, and Pandora feels great after so long. Lupin follows up and it couldn’t be better. Next is Happy Happy Love, catchy song and a good choreo, very KARA-esque. Rescue me, not very exciting on sound or moves, but fine indeed.

Then things turn very weird but turn for good. In my personal opinion, I’ve always thought that during Mamma Mia promotions So Good felt a little bit forced… but during this performance the mature charisma mentioned earlier creates some kind of sexiness that completes the song instead of forcing cuteness to appear, it’s just letting the things flow more naturally, as much as the girls have grown from the as time.

At the last part of the song, Youngji disappeared to change clothes for her solo perf, leaving Hammie, Gyul and Hara on stage to finish… and after seeing that, I could perfectly see KARA standing with the remaining three members.   Don’t get me wrong, I love our little puppie-ji, but this confirms the experience and confidence that our goddesses have gained with the years.

And with the solo performances!

First we have our princess 0G with a cute vibe and image on the VCR, then even cuter on the song.  I have mixed feelings about this. As now, 0G is known for her bubbly and cute character, and I feel we’re missing on the picture her powerful dancing and singing skills. I understand DSP is trying to pull this image as far as they can to get more attention to Youngji and to the group as well, but we shouldn’t forget that Youngji is the same age with Jing, who was already showing us the more mature image for Kara last year. I expect from 0G to show her full skills soon, it doesn’t have to interfere with her cute image, but I hope people appreciate her even more because of her full talent.    

Beside my crazy opinion earlier, I really enjoyed her stage and get super excited hearing the fans crying her name. The only thing that could been better: another outfit, maybe something like the female dancers.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8nDE9uuZQ    

Next is SeungYeon, oh my, SeungYeon! I also feel a little awkward about this. From the last tour, we’ve got a new kind of SeungYeon with each solo performance. Much more focused on the dance and less in the voice, at least on the second and longest part, this was extremely sexy! Maybe too much?  This is the kind of stage that I will expect from Hara or even Nicole, and this really surprised me.

Nonetheless, it was awesome, her dancing skills have improved a lot, and I’d like to point out her facial expression, and how fierce she can look now. It just took me for surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA2rFVXjJr4    

Now, the revelation that make many people drop their jaws. Hara. Hara the goddess. I have not enough words to describe how beautiful was her stage, and how precious, flawless, perfect, aslkjeanlzd… I have no more words for this, guys.  I think you know exactly how I feel about this. Just, let’s enjoy this gift forever. And speaking of Hammie again, I almost feel like they changed places, I was hoping for something like this form SeungYeon, but let’s face it, it can’t get any better than this :D  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvJlqvEDXA  

Finally, our goddess Gyuri. Out of all stages, this is my favorite. The piano entrance, the dress, the choreo, the voice, and above all, GODDESS GYURI herself make for a PERFECT stage. Look at her eyes, her hands, the way she smiles and stares, everything about this is just awesome. She´s a complete diva on stage and she knows it. For me, this is the natural evolution of KARA and things to come. I totally loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnuWM6nBE48      

And speaking of things to come, let’s talk about this little vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjHK1eZ1gw  

This is something I don’t remember ever seeing on any other concert. And I like what I am seeing.  

…feels like is a new beginning…  

For me, this shows the new KARA for a new era. Even if they’re idols, big names on the industry, and besides any scandals, they are a group of girls living their dreams. I think this will be the perfect image for Kara in the future. Relaxed, but sophisticated, enjoying every bit of what life puts on their way. And this makes me think that the contract renewal will go swiftly.

Kara is living their golden years, and they will make sure to enjoy it with us. KAMILIA AND KARA, forever.  

The third segment of the concert goes on with the cute-bubbly-happy songs we all love: Pretty Girl, Jet Coaster Love and Rock U went fine, and that kiss… XD You know of what I am speaking!   This part is perfect, and I love the rearrangements for the songs for 0G. Also, if you watch closely, you can see Gyuri’s fear of heights on action as soon a se she gets on the car thingy XD

For this part, I must admit the feels striking when Rock U sounded, it’s just a little hard to realize the truth of some things. Even though, the girls looked happy and perfect.

Now with the couple stages.    

GyulHam means perfection. When you see this, you might get glimpse of how much they love to be on stage. Our girls have grown so much, and they only need a pair of mics to give us something unforgettable, something to the heart. Also, the outfits where on point, and I really loved the overall way it came out. I’m really proud for our girls and this stage.   

Youngji and Hara stage was good, and I really loved seeing 0G doing something that reminds me of her trainee vids. And OMG, Hara looks astonishing during the perf. Too bad it’s a little short.

The fifth act of the show it’s my least favorite part of the whole concert. Mostly, it has to do with the song selection… Ima Okuritai Arigatou, Dear Kamilia… I feel really confused about the decision of not including those on the set list, especially after the video with the photos. Also, the outfits were kind of lacking, and come on French Kiss? I’m not saying the part was bad itself, but this was a little disappointment on a great show.  

The final act is all you need…GGS, Mr, Step… ah… and the other kiss… (yes, I’m looking at you Youngji!) This wraps up very fine, not with sadness, but with a feeling of gratitude that in the end says: “Thanks for staying with us. Just wait for the next time, we’ll be there again”    

Overall, this concert shows the transition for the new Kara, and how well Youngji has blended with the members, the affection the girls have for the fans and that you should only believe a little bit more for the things to result into something great.    

So, what do you think about this concert? Do yo think we’ve got a sneak peek into Kara’s future? I think so.

Thank you if you’ve read all of this, and I’m very sorry if my grammar isn’t the best, this is my first topic and I just want to share my opinion and hear yours ;)

Edited by Megatherion
  • Like 7

I read everything and the part where you said about Seungyeon,
That "her dancing skills have improved a lot"~
IMO she is a better dancer than a singer,
And she was discovered by Hyori bc of her dancing skills if I remember right,
So yea that part I kind of don't agree with you...

But the rest I enjoyed reading,
Thank you for taking your time writing this as your first post,
Really appreciate it ^^
And I agree with the New KARA = New Era,
Still didn't watch the concert bc I've decided to wait for my copy instead ^^

• Like 3

I enjoyed reading your take on their performances.. Havent watched the whole show coz I have yet to download a copy.. gotta agree to the both of you that this is definitely the start of a new era for Kara and I'm excited to see new things from them.. Here's to an even brighter year ahead! ^_^

Edited by zhayeph
  • Like 1

thank u @Megatherion for review KARASIA 2014.

for me reaction after view the video ...,

thanks to GOD for give them stronger and more power to the future.

a girls more mature, and more stronger now.

and most over all my special point at "gyul n ham" duet for "goodbye day". how can be they know what a partner whats doing and whats the next just for watch eyes.

years 2014 is my bad years. all of each my fav group lose member.

KARA, 9Muses, GG, and AfterSchool. i hope next year them are more stronger.

• Like 1

Haven't watched the entire concert yet, but some bits of what I saw were somewhat disappointing. Without going into too much detail, let me just say I'd prefer my favourite artists actually singing instead of miming to pre-recorded vocals.

Having said that, I was very happy to see how enthusiastically the Japanese audience cheered Youngji.

• Like 1

I read everything and the part where you said about Seungyeon,

True, hammie is an underrated dancer; urban, cute, sexy...she could adapt to any concept.

• Like 2

<p>I read everything and the part where you said about Seungyeon,

So yea that part I kind of don't agree with you...

Well it's true that Seungyeon's dancing keeps improving. It's also true she was scouted for her dancing. Even though she has always been the best dancer in KARA and has the most potential, since she is technically skilled, versatile, meticulous, expressive. Yet she still continues to get better, bolder, and experimental. She keeps finding ways to outdo her last performance. Choreography gets more complicated, moves require much skill, styles and genres beyond her comfort zone and audience's expectations. That's a major reason I admired her since I first knew KARA, and continues to amaze me all these years. She puts all her soul into every performance and pulls it off with such ease. This last performance at KARASIA is no different. Not only fans like myself, but people not familiar with her dancing are also amazed at her skills and performance. These are the results of year after year of dedication to maintain and improve on a high standard in her dancing.
  • Like 4

I don't know if this is the best pro-shot* Kara gig, but it's up there. At least everyone seems to be having fun, and there isn't anything like that massive crying last time. (* obviously the gigs that aren't proshot, never get really properly seen, as those iPhone fancams even cut out during songs) Tokyo Dome gigs were of course nice, but partially there the music seemed to be addition to the show, and not vice versa, as it should be.

The most surprising thing was the Hara solo. She always was the weakest link in Kara, but now her solo stage is actually the best part of the performance musically. And "The Sad Story" is actually more themed than the other solo acts. Gyuri is nice too, but after Taeyeon's take on Hush Hush, who really cares about Gyuri? Youngji was nice, but so forgettable, that you forgot her solo even before it ended, just giving dress break for the other 3. Seungyeon was a real letdown. She tried to do something ambitious there, but failed, because her strongest point, the singing, really didn't come through and all that dancy stuff was nice to look at obviously, but we expect more from Seungyeon.

The pair things were a nice idea, but badly done. Seungyeon and Gyuri fake guitar playing was only distracting, and Hara and Youngji looked very awkward as Hara's clothing made her look very thin and Youngji's made her look very fat, so it was a complete mismatch visually (maybe intentional, idk?).

But when they did their routine Kara songs, it was fun to watch throughout the show, even if I really didn't understand the purpose of that mic stand fake tree during Promise. Some great songs were missing, which was a letdown... I mean where's all that techno stuff, like Electric Boy and Speed Up (I think Jumping actually was there by Baby Kara, but cut out from WOWOW broadcast). Small annoyance was that they didn't dance karapara either.

Their interactions were the best so far. Everyone was having fun, and they did everything "cool and funny", like lifting each other around and singing into each other's mics. Especially Gyuri and Seungyeon seemed to enjoy each other's company, but what was a bit odd that there was absolutely no interaction between Seungyeon and Youngji. Maybe it was cut out again, but at least things like this keep feeding the rumors of them not getting along...

Overall, too bad that couldn't see that personally live. Was briefly considering going there, but it was just impossible timewise and financially (not living in Japan, that is), especially as I did go to SNSD show earlier in the summer (with all 9 members still on stage!). Hopefully they will keep improving from this on, and maybe there's going to be the next Karasia soon that I can actually see in person.

Haven't watched the entire concert yet, but some bits of what I saw were somewhat disappointing. Without going into too much detail, let me just say I'd prefer my favourite artists actually singing instead of miming to pre-recorded vocals.

Having said that, I was very happy to see how enthusiastically the Japanese audience cheered Youngji.

Are you sure they actually didn't sing?

What ends up in the broadcast is not necessarily the same as what happens in the arena. The same is true visually, of course. Often what you see as "live" has been shot in the rehearsals. The most obvious thing of this happens annually in ESC. While the songs are actually sung live during the contest, the "replays" before and during the voting come from the rehearsal days.

And also, there can be some audio delay in the files sometimes. Some other Kara gig (maybe the last one with Kara5?) was almost unwatchable as it was shared, because the audiosync was so badly off. But when I remuxed it with audio timing correction, it looked fine again, and didn't give the impression of bad lipsynching.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received my Karasia 3rd Japan Tour DVD this week and just finished watching the first of the two=DVD set today--the one containing the performance.  I love it.  All the girls are beautiful, and Hara especially seemed both incredibly beautiful and even more featured in the performance than before.

My copy does not have any sub-titles, and I am waiting to finish the download to see what sub-titles our translators have added.  I am particularly interested to find out what was said during the parts of the performance when the girls were talking.  There was one of Gyuri where she started crying.  Then starting around 1:27:00 the four girls--starting with YoungJi--each talked for a fairly long time.  They alternated smiles and tears.  I suppose they were talking about Kara's troubles and survival, but I don't understand any Japanese.

My copy of Karasia 3d Japan Tour (2 DVD set --Limited First Printing through YesAsia--Universal Music) was from the final Japan tour performance, in Yokohama.  It has different things than the translated version by Melodix on this site, which on the opening screen says WoWow.  For example, I have about 10 minutes of talking to the audience from the stage on my edition, starting around 1:27:15.  I didn't see that in our translated version with the English subtitles.  I'd love to know what they were saying.