The Evolution of the Karaholic Layout

yummiberries

So, for the past couple of days I've been busy taking screenshots of Karaholic's old front page layouts through the magic of Web Archive. So, old users, sit back and enjoy the nostalgic ride! Click on the spoiler below to read my ramblings lol    

I decided to take on this task for a couple of reasons:

1. As you all may know, Karaholic is not the busy and bustling place it once was back in the days. That and the fact that no donations have come in so far these past two months kind of worries me. Where will Karaholic go on from here? Who knows. But! These snapshots from the past might give this site a small spark from more of the OG users.

2. I came across flamestalker's post on our current layout and red4summer's comment about wishing to go back to our old layouts had me thinking about the Web Archive tool. I used it a while back on Karaholic too but I wasn't so into it. I wanted to have my own throwback moment so, through the Web Archive tool, I went back to 2011 and sadness and sorrow ensued lol.  :nc1: .

When I first went on this site, Karaholic had the Jet Coaster Amusement Park layout. It was soooo adorable and cute. So, when I went back to 2011, all of the images (the header, thumbnails, almost everything basically) was gone.  :noooo:

When I first used the Web Archive tool for KH I swore almost all the images were there and I assumed they were going to be there forever. I guess not  :(

So, I was like "This can't happen to all the other archived pages!" After like 3 or 4 days later, here I am writing up this post.   

KARA has changed a lot throughout the years and regardless of our differences, it is still safe to say that Karaholic as a whole is our home. If you all ever made a KH account and had your good amount of spazzings on here, it kind of shows how much KARA has an effect on our lives. Even if we all grow older and move on to other things, it is still nice to know that Karaholic is still up and running and we can still return to it and fondly look back on our fangirlness/fanboyness. Plus, we can also look back on KARA and Karaholic's history as well.

Final notes: If you happened to click on a link on the Web Archived page to get on to a Karaholic post and Wayback Machine is not showing anything for that link, there is like a 95% chance of that post still being on Karaholic. Just separate and remove the web archive url from the KH url.

You can still see old Shoutbox activity as well. Web Archive isn't perfect so you might have the current Shoutbox activity popping up on the archived page. Just reload and the old convo should show up =)  

I added the dates so you can physically visit the page yourself on archive (if it is available) and those dates do not reflect the time the site was immediately updated but rather the time when it is archived and captured on the web page.

Index

Good luck and have fun!     

My main references:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Internet Archive's Wayback Machine

Introducing.. New Layout: Pinkolu7ion!

[Other] Kara Old Layout
Palaverist's Karaholic Memory Lane

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 8

2008 - Early Beginnings                                                                                   

10/5/2008 

0TlhWKG.jpg

11/1/2008

2Y4uKU8.png

11/6/2008                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Nicer looking chatbox. Idk if that was an update or Web Archive acting up with the page above.

oOPdo6j.png

12/3/2008                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Forum news and updates at the top of page. Shoutbox moved to the bottom.

xPDHiFd.png

12/26/2008                                                                                                                                                                                                           Pretty sure that this was a Christmas theme but Web Archive isn't showing all of the pictures.

yWviE1G.png

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 2

2009                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   1/9/2009                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I am pretty sure this is the Princesses: Diary Layout (correct me if I'm wrong) but again, this is quite old so all of the images are probably broken

WAJIdjr.png

1/18/2009                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I was shocked because the header image slide thingy was still working O_O

mvIbPZx.png

3/18/2009                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I think this is the Sweet Honey layout 

BUV4g87.png

I found the header for the Sweet Honey layout online and it looks nice  :gemhappy:

J5ttzeJ.jpg

11/24/2009                                                                                                                                                                                                              Again the image header slide thingy still worked!

BD7RGyQ.png

I found another missing piece to the puzzle above on Google

aZ8Q3JP.jpg

NOTE: Xichigo captured full page screenshots of the Revolution layout which you can find here                                                                           12/27/2009                                                                                                                                                                                                    Karaholic 2009 in the Christmastime

2CrYnFg.pngWpC8Hhd.png

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 2

2010                                                                                                        3/10/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Using GyulJing as the thumbnail for Fandombox... I approve XD

k5tqxRn.png

Palaverist a.k.a da real MVP uploaded some of his screenshots of KH and here's another missing piece to the puzzle above            

VtUJXFA.png

4/19/2010

ojoNhi1.png

5/7/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                Good Morning Theme

y1iJDrX.png

Another piece to the puzzle above? (Maybe not. The thumbnails don't match) Found on Google 

Abl2sxL.jpg

6/12/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                Karaholic will be right back?

yb0eOJJ.png

6/16/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Karaholic is down! Stupid malware  :gyc5:Oh! BTW, the emergency Wordpress is still up and you can use Web Archive as well! Thank you KH staff for your hard work  :touched:

IDFVKI8.png

Kudos to Palaverist again! The maintenance message above might've looked like this since it was around the World Cup. Idk. Just my guess. I wasn't even into Kpop during this time.  :confused:

zxXAoFM.jpg

Speaking of the World Cup, apparently KH had a World Cup layout. Again, creds to Palaverist!

asgIAAo.jpg

7/16/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                Decided to post the Morning Theme again anyways because of the little tv gif thing

2tl5U5b.png

Nicole in Morning theme 

4mtFjXh.jpg

8/5/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                               Karaholic under maintenance again!

Mx1lPdI.png

8/18/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                                Temporary layout

Lu2JYBj.png

12/8/2010                                                                                                                                                                                                              Jumping layout! Looking good~                                                                                                                                                                           And what a coincidence. I'm listening to KARA on autoplay on Youtube and Jumping comes on lol

UdQZOr6.png

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 4

@PKKamilia1 No problem! If you ever find any more images, feel free to post it on here!                                                                               @B.KS Me too. Actually, I remember you posting in the Shoutbox about your worries over donations and e.t.c and it actually made me worry a bit too. That's part of the reason why I took on this task.

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 3

2011 - A Big Puzzle to Solve...                                                                                         2/15/2011                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Jumping layout still up...

bbGGyV4.png

4/23/2011                                                                                                                                                                                                               Intro to Jet Coaster Amusement Park layout. All of the archived pages during this era are literally stripped of all images and graphics =(

uBElfvy.png

Mae @OurNikori posted part of the header of the site during this time. Super cute! Please feel free to follow her site as well for all things Nicole! Guess who's who?

NvqeXCz.png

11/23/2011                                                                                                                                                                                                            The archived page looks about 15% finished like all of the other pages  :(

SzCCDuS.png

However, I did find some images that I am pretty sure are part of this layout

I'm pretty sure that KH used this image to refer to the "Don't disturb our cuties, they're having a nap" if my memory is right:                 qEUw18A.jpg

Here's the rest of how the site should've looked like:

zQ4hbth.jpg                                                               I can't find a screenshot of the Karabox but I remember that for the thumbnail of the fandombox KH used a picture of Goo Hara and Nicole in white dresses at the beach for Karadise 2011. I know because I was such a huuge HaNi shipper. Don't tell anyone though lol

lxrcjb1.jpg

H7Sv4XE.jpg

ZxTaXoL.jpg

iUnn4yH.jpg

I got all of the above images from Google. Apparently it all came from Tumblr but when I clicked on the images it didn't lead me to the direct source of the pics =(

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 3

This is super amazing! I've been meaning to see if older members had some of the old layout pictures since I really wanted to find them! I'll see if i can shout out on the Twitter account to see if we can find any more. 

• Like 2

@PKKamilia1 No problem! If you ever find any more images, feel free to post it on here!  

@B.KS Me too. Actually, I remember you posting in the Shoutbox about your worries over donations and e.t.c and it actually made me worry a bit too. That's part of the reason why I took on this task.[/quot

There probably is a solution but i dont know what

2012                                                                                                             10/17/2012                                                                                                                                                                                                                The JCL, Go Go Summer layout, or however you wanted to call it, was up for more than a year... even through the Pandora comeback. Here we get a peek of Pandora's (Shout)box. Other than that, everything else is still pretty much the same.

Z2FP3K4.png

11/29/2012                                                                                                                                                                                                              Yay! New theme!

GMDe5Gi.png

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 3

2013                                                                                                            2/6/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                               New Karaholic ads! 

9YdVFBc.png

3/24/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                                Karaholic is now recruiting! And edr49890 accurately predicts Jiyoung's future  :shocked:

w0iUyGT.png

7/23/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                               Karaholic is still hiring! 

GEUdyL5.png

9/16/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                                KARA comeback showcase! Last comeback showcase as 5 :(

3v8nd4x.png

9/24/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                               Full Bloom Album Giveaway!

GeZ72u6.png?1

10/23/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                               Vote for Karaholic as the Best Kpop Fanclub! 

fWLR8B8.png

12/19/2013                                                                                                                                                                                                             Karaholic Christmas Theme!

15qi9Rz.png

My 100th post!  :teary:

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 3

So, here's when things get kind of trippy. Like I said Web Archive isn't perfect. Some of the links from early 2014 feature the KARA4 header instead of the KARA5 header and as you all know Youngji wasn't added to the group until mid-2014. So, yeah, that's definitely a mistake. Or it's the future trying to give 2014 Kamilias a prophesy lol

2/26/2014                                                                                                                                                                                                    KARA5 Purple Revolution Header                                                                                                                                                   

Yes Nicole. Stop Cole-rupting AppleJaJing lol  :nc6:

xkIH4Dz.png

7/1/2014                                                                                                                                                                                                      KARA4 Pt. 2 Purple Revolution Header

H1jgmTK.png

7/1/2014                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Who remembers taking part of the song rankings? I did =)

DnP6UYD.png

8/22/2014                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Youngji has her own forum now!  Also includes the top shouters at the time.

G3sk7cy.png

Edited by flamestalker
  • Like 2

2015                                                                                                         5/6/2015                                                                                                                                                                                                                    The new spiffy layout that we still have now :)

YkjP7Og.png

Edited by yummiberries
  • Like 2