Your First Reactions to KARA's 15th Anniversary Comeback

jiniforyourwish

Who would've ever thought we would really see KARA comeback after what we thought was the end of KARA when Seungyeon, Gyuri and Hara left DSP? 

Tbh when they first announced that they were coming back, I was ~thrilled~ but also slightly worried that they may not be able to live up to expectations not in terms of performance, but in terms of their music. Kpop has changed so much especially in terms of the music styles and I thought that KARA might struggle to "fit into" the new generation of Kpop music and might try to comeback with a song that did not fit their style at all but when I heard When I Move, I WAS SO HAPPY. KARA IS REALLY BACK WITH THEIR SIGNATURE SOUND. IT REALLY SOUNDED LIKE A TIMELESS 2ND GEN BOP. 

Watching their MAMA performance was so so so bittersweet for so many reasons 

1. The current 3rd/4th gen idols getting so excited seeing KARA on stage gave me goosebumps, especially when they were dancing along to Step, Mister etc.
  2. The crowd at MAMA cheering for KARA. It has been so many years but the Japanese audience did not forget KARA. KARA really IS LEGENDARY. 
  3. Seeing Youngji with Jiyoung and Nicole <3 Really never thought this day would come but it breaks my heart knowing that we are missing Hara's beautiful voice that would make everything more complete 
  4. They didn't need hardcore choreography to take over the stage. Stage presence >>> Choreo 
  5. How happy all of them looked when they were performing <3 

I'm still trying to catch up with all the content that we've been getting - Dingo Music, IU's Palette, Music Bank performance etc. We are really so blessed that KARA is back and I really really couldn't be happier! Can't wait to hear y'all felt upon listening to When I Move for the first time and your reactions to KARA's comeback!! 

When I found out KARA was coming back with Gyuri, Seungyeon, Nicole, Jiyoung, and Youngji, I was ecstatic! Then, they announced that they were going to have their comeback state at MAMA, and I was just over the moon :jogging:

To be quite honest, I didn't worry too much about the song quality because I was just happy to get a KARA comeback/reunion. I thought it was nearly impossible for the girls to come back due to circumstances, but here we are!

I am 100% satisfied with this comeback. It's nice to see a mature concept from them again (very rare in today's idol group landscape). KARA's comeback was definitely for the unnies lol!

Their group chemistry is great, the song/album is great, and they all look amazing!

I'm already greedy for another comeback, but I will just cherish and appreciate the moment now and just be thankful that KARA's back!

@yummiberries me too! was just really contented that they were coming back but I was really worried too that if they didn't have a good song, their chart performance wouldn't be good and it might make them feel like they are not relevant/loved anymore. but turns out my worries were for nothing! /fingers crossed for another comeback/ 

@Geassu at the point I was just so happy to see Youngji and Nicole and Jiyoung in the same frame. never would've thought that the reunion would lead to an actual comeback omg 

I was over the moon when I heard the news! But I also had my concerns. Youngji didn't get to promote with KARA that long and she never worked with jiyoung and nicole so I was kind of nervous to see if they would be awkward together but luckily I had nothing to worry about. I love that we have Jiyoungji now and I think its cute that we have two maknaes, which I think is a first for a k-pop group lol

I was also nervous about how the song would sound since this cb was under rbw's care but the song is of course amazing and really has that KARA feel. I think it's beautiful how much Hara was incorporated in everything so to me I really feel her spirit. Overall I'm really happy to see other Kamilia come out of the woodwork and to see how KARA's legacy has affected so many people. From 4th gen groups saying they cried and that they are fans of KARA to new k-pop fans praising them and getting to know them it has all been wonderful. I feel very thankful and grateful :)

When I found out about their comeback I was in shock to be honest and I really couldn't believe Nicole, Jiyoung and Youngji would perform together. I was also anxious because I didn't know what to expect after so long. I was also affraid by what kind of songs they would release since kpop music has changed so much in term of sound. And since I was quite disapointed by SNSD comeback, I decided to not expect too much and to just enjoy this precious gift from KARA.

When I saw their MV, I wanted to cry...it was simply KARA...and after watching the MAMA performance I realised once again why I love KARA so much. They are amazing and we can feel the hard work and investment they put in this comeback for the fans. They didn't release a simple fan song but a real comeback song. When I Move screams KARA perfectly but in a modern way. I'm also so happy to have so many contents to watch and each time it reminds me how much I missed them.

Super stoked. Havent been on this site for so many years already! And now I'm back because KARA is back!
Just also finished watching the episode of them on IU's Palette... really brought back so many memories, and totally loved that Nicole and Ji Young were so welcoming to Youngji. I knew I was never wrong to follow KARA. And also, Nicole tearing up at the end when giving a closing statement to IU, really brought back memories of the old times on "Heroes" and when they hosted Inkigayo together.

@Solin exactly how I felt! I was worried that would come back with a song just thanking their fans and it might not do well so they wouldn't comeback again. But now with When I Move getting so much positive feedback, fingers crossed they will be back again someday! 

@Redresonance Nicole probably felt really nostalgic just like us! And part of me feels that seeing IU probs made them think of Hara too 

@A Shy Kamilia The six plates and six microphones in the MV gave me goosebumps! Hara is forever in KARA's hearts! 

Probably my thoughts are similar to some of you,

- I never tought Nicole/Jiyoung will be performing / becoming quite close to Youngji - I know Nicole does know Youngji / have met with her several times before, but they don't really show it on public because it doesn't need to.

- I don't set a high expectation for this comeback - all what I want is they're promoting again, probably for a short period. Why? Because looking back at 2nd gen comeback (SNSD, WG's Sunye, Nicole) - it is really overshadowed with new girlgroups. Also, they're already in their 30's now, when most girlgroups members usually at 18-20 years old.

But I am wrong. Their comeback is amazing, their song is so good! I literally crying when listening to their album, can't believe they're coming back.

Also, my eyes still can't believe they're in their 30's. They are promoting & performing so well at MAMA. Moreover, right now they're so active promoting at various music shows (Inkigayo, Music Bank, Show music core) Not only that, they're participating on TV shows - Knowing Bros, and several youtube/online release (dingo, what else?)  and last but not least, they're starting to promote in Japan! (the japan version MV just come out an hour ago!)

I really really wanted to catch up with their activity as soon as possible, trying to shuffle some real life things to make time to watch them (sadly this week I was sick, and a lot of work piled up oh noooo)

I was so so so happy and excited when I heard they were gonna have a comeback. The fact that Youngji was also part of it and that it was gonna be the first time we were seeing this lineup added to my excitement!

Song-wise, I wasn't disappointed. I expected a bop and they delivered. The only thing I don't like is that it's only 3min!! It's too short lmao!

• 1 month later...

When I heard of that, I wasn't kamilia. My first reaction was like, 'Oh, how long have it been since they disbanded?' haha

I really liked their music and variety shows when they were together so I was happy to see them as a group again, too. 

And I was kind of sad too, because Hara can't promote together anymore... but I think she's seeing everything and very happy now.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 3:08 AM, lukas_95 said:

- I don't set a high expectation for this comeback - all what I want is they're promoting again, probably for a short period. Why? Because looking back at 2nd gen comeback (SNSD, WG's Sunye, Nicole) - it is really overshadowed with new girlgroups. Also, they're already in their 30's now, when most girlgroups members usually at 18-20 years old.

I felt something like this; although the international market has grown a lot for Kpop - it's still very competitive in Korea. And, honestly, Korea + Japan are the main focus for any media created (ie. how popular will it be in these markets).

Kara's historic popularity put them in a good position; with that said -- I think the bigger challenge is both the nature of the music produced, and the producers used. 

The Kpop sound has changed a lot since second gen; this goes for the writers of the songs, as well as the producers. A lot of groups like Kara and T-ara maintained their 'sound' until their last album (with development and variation, but it was iconiclly 'them' when you heard the song/music).

Thus, the song itself was 'okay'. It's hard to capture the emotion of a decade ago -- but it worked given the current music and trends in Kpop. 
And it was enough to 'prove' they still have it; I thought the way they honoured Hara was quite sweet and touching.