[2009.04.30] Former Sugar member, Han Ye Won "I am jealous of Kara"

hopelesshong

Actress, Han Ye Won, showed some disappointment on her singing days when she was one of the members of a girl group, Sugar.

In a recent interview with Newsen, Han Ye Won expressed her jealousy toward the girl groups who are at the forefront of the 'Girl Group Craze', such as SNSD, Wonder Girls, Kara, etc.

"I wasn't able to receive as much love as current girl groups like SNSD, Wonder Girls, Kara, etc, are receiving today. During when Sugar was active, it wasn't possible for girl groups to be this popular. I sometimes believe that it would have been a totally different story for Sugar if they were to debut today. Even though I am an actress now, there are times when I feel disappointed. I am really jealous of Kara these days.

*Only part of the article that is relevant to Kara was Translated

Credit: Newsen

Tip off: Mae

Translated by Hopelesshong@Karaholic.com

CREDIT PROPERLY WHEN TAKING OUT. DO NOT ADD IN OR REMOVE.

that's a sweet compliment right? lol.. but it'd be nice if we knew why lol

thanks peter!

* if you guys want to see what she looks like, check out the original link :lol:

I haven't heard of sugar...although from wikipedia, they seem to be more of a jpop group. I'm guessing she's jealous because they had the same concept as the current Kara :)

i don't think so XD :P

maybe she just likes KARA's image/style/concept/music? lol.. pick one or more lol.

well i think this like the boldest statement a celeb has made about KARA though and it's really nice of her too :D

During when Sugar was active, it wasn't possible for girl groups to be this popular.

Yeah, this is pretty much false. Sugar debuted right when the big three - S.E.S., Baby VOX and Fin.K.L had just passed their prime and were starting to decline, but were popular enough to overshadow Sugar and their less cutesy counterparts, Jewelry (the same girls who sang "One More Time"). As we all know, S.E.S., Baby VOX and Fin.K.L were huge back in the day. By borrowing cutesy/girly elements from each group, Sugar just didn't stand out nearly as much, so they went to Japan instead.

oh well, i believe i saw some of them in love letter variety.. 4got their names. and i dont even know they went to japan.... it's great Kara get so much love!!

oh well, i believe i saw some of them in love letter variety.. 4got their names. and i dont even know they went to japan.... it's great Kara get so much love!!

Only three of the four Sugar members were ever on Love Letter - Ahyoomee, Park Soojin and Hwang Jung Eum. (Yook Hyeseung's the fourth, and never really appeared on anything. She would later change her name to, you guessed it, Han Ye Won.) Jung Eum left the group in 2005ish, but their new member, Haleen, never really got the chance to go on any shows cause the group disbanded quite shortly after.

Edited by KARAokeing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sugar debut during the time where hardly any new group gained popularity? I can understand how she's feeling. I think that if Sugar debuted around 06/07 like most of the other girl gropus, they would have had a better opportunity.

I agree with her, during Sugar days, it was hard for girl groups to rise... I wonder what will happen if Sugar debuted the same time Wonder Girls, Kara or SNSD debuted,,, but oh well, I like there group before.. and she's jealous of Kara?? aigoo, what a good compliment...

thanks for sharing...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sugar debut during the time where hardly any new group gained popularity?

Maybe. Should be around the time when DBSK and CSJH were both kinda struggling to make names for themselves through singles.

time is evolving!

girl groups are the rage these days!

so are boybands!

go KARA!

thanks for sharing=)