[2009.05.13] KARA comeback scheduled this July

coffeebeanie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think they have to have a mini album because

SS501 hasn't even released a full second korean album.

Note added.

They just released a Japanese album, so I'm guessing that's where DSP's promoting them right now.

Edited by KARAokeing

So happy that KARA will comeback in less than two months.

I miss the girls so much since their break.

Wished a full album but a mini-album is ok because It will cost cheaper to me to buy it lol.

And It's really nice that DSP let the girls decide their songs because It will make this mini-album even more personal.

In the end though, wouldn't the expenditures on one album be the same as the cost of a couple of mini albums? (Give or take a few songs?)

The loveliness of marketing politics. (If you can even call it that.)

(WARNING: contains a LOT of assumptions; hopefully they're not too unreasonable)

First off, let us assume (and most of us do) that preparing and producing a mini-album takes considerably less time than a full album. Let us also assume that, to some degree, during the later stages of album promotion, some recording for a future release is being done. (Refer to Kara's never-to-be-released second album.) Now, looking at two major aspects of "staying active" in the pop industry,

Promotion: Using The First Blooming as an example, full albums get approximately 6 months of exposure total for about 3 songs. Mini-albums get about 3 months for 1 song.

Production: Using Kara once again as an example, Rock U and Pretty Girl were released 2 months apart. It's a safe assumption, then, that mini-albums plus a music video take 2 months to make. Since a full album is twice as long as a mini-album, let's assume it takes 5 months to actually make (for album art and things like that). On average, though - and I could list a bunch of examples for this - the average time for a new album to be released is 10-12 months.

Putting it all together: Assume that 2 mini-albums = 1 full album in terms of cost. Also assume that no extended breaks are being taken.

Over a whole year, releasing only mini-albums, you promote for 3 months for mini #1, 2 month break, 3 months for mini #2, 2 month break, 2 remaining months for mini #3. That's 8 months of activity in 12. For 1 full album, you promote 6 months for 3 songs, and not nearly enough time remaining in the year to have a second album ready.

In conclusion, re.loaded, you're right when you say the cost is about the same; if you release only minis, it's 1.5 times more expensive, but at the cost of having 2 extra months of music-related activity. If

Big Bang

is any indication, releasing more works has the potential to put you in a good position for those music awards. (Of course, there are "other" things that go into award selection, but the # of works released certainly helps one's case.) Secondly, from a retail standpoint, your work stays on the shelves for longer because when your previous mini-album gets old, the newer ones simply take its place. Thirdly, as much as I don't really want to generalize just to support a position, but assuming the album releaser promotes his/her songs for 6 months out of the year as mentioned above, not being around for a few months is enough for a very large number of people to go "where has ____ been all this time?!??!"

P.S. Yes, I know I've made a number of assumptions, but they make some sense, don't they?

Edited by KARAokeing

wheww .

i've been waiting .

mini album is okay though ,

although i really wish that they'll produce WHOLE FULL ALBUM .

well , i'll still support them

>.<

GO KARA !

can't wait much longer for your comeback !

hooo!!

can't wait~~

i'm looking forward this mini album

>.<

at seungyeon-eonni birthday?

oohh that will be great .

even i expect for full length album

but mini album is okay though .

GO KARA ~

So soon? They've just finished this album promotions and are busy with their shows, they should be resting by now... Hopefully it would become another hit.

I heard that Mini Albums do well on charts better than full albums, maybe it's better for them?

I just listened to their new song 'Same Heart'

and it's super good! I'm glad to know that they're

receiving songs from a lot of composers!! <3

I was hoping for a full actual album though,

not a mini.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...