[2008.09.02] DC Inside Interview Part 2 (Follow up)

tinggg

Kara: "We will become a worthy group."

After an idol group is produced by a managing company, if there is a long blank time, not only is it hard to survive in the music field, but it's very dangerous to your whole entertainment career. Especially if the blank is nearly a year between the debut album and the next one for an idol group, which makes it unimaginably burdensome for the members and brings despair to the public. Moreover, idol group stars are usually really young and haven't really solidified their positions int he industry, which could thus be fatal.

Kara came out from DSP Ent, which producecd famous names such as Sechskies, Fin.K.L, Click-B, and SS501. Thus the expectations of the public were enormous. However with the debut of similar groups like Wonder Girls and SNSD, their potential shrank and people interests faded. Even worse, the lead vocal of the group Kim Sunghee left for personal reasons.

However they showed perseverance. The strong performers that had caught the attention changed to a relaxed Kara in July, revealing a transparent, sweet and loving group of girls on stage. To fill the loss of Kim Sunghee, we can't forget the addition of new members Koo Hara and Kang Jiyoung.

After their nervous blank period, they shouted to their fans "we are here!" and kicked off activities. Their presence is slowly being felt in the music market, and are quickly making steps towards becoming mainstream.

A part of the article had been translated earlier, find it at

http://www.karaholic.com/forums//index.php...entry2213

Q: Let's talk to the three of you about the first album. Although you caught attention by debuting as the "2nd Fin.K.L", you weren't able to get the popularity you hoped for.

Gyuri: We weren't able to get the reviews we wanted because we couldn't find our own color. With Break It, If U Wanna, Secret World, they all had different styles to show you something unique about Kara, but instead it kind of confused the feeling we gave off. So in this new album we've worked really hard to find a more exciting color for Kara.

Q: During your first album you participated in the program <Showvival>.

Seungyeon: The Showvival program ran on a really tight schedule. Every week we had to prepare a new stage and the choreography and songs were hard with all our broadcasting too, it was all too much and stressful. There was also a Showvival on the radio. Although everything about it was so hard, being part of the precious opportunity helped us learn about how hard it was for other singers as well, and we've learned our own short-coming. So it's a chance for us to be re-born.

Q: I feel like with this show you gained more female fans, which is rare for female idol groups. It helped build a fan base right?

Gyuri: The image of us while preparing for Showvival was struggling and having difficulties, and we even made mistakes. However, I think seeing this image helped people more easily feel more connected and closer to us.

Q: After promotions on the first album ended, main vocal Sunghee left the group. Team changes are really difficult, how did you handle it?

Nicole: The rest of the members thus prepared really hard for this next album.

Gyuri: Sunghee was just an ordinary friend, but she was a really good one, so when she left we were all exremely worried, so we all practiced really hard. However, in our first performance for the comeback of our mini album, we felt we couldn't really show our results. In the future we hope to really show our continuing improvement to everyone.

Q: What did each person do during the blank 10 month period?

Seungyeon: Gyuri and I went to school. We were preparing for our college entrance exams so we worked really hard in class. And I also continued to practice dancing.

Gyuri: I learned the drums and piano and even took an interest in songwriting, so I studied a lot for that.

Nicole: I trained a lot and started going back to school again.

Q: To train and go to school must be really hard.

Gyuri: Though Seungyeon was busy with MSL Break, Nicole and I were worried that we had nothing to do. So I had to have self-discipline. It wasn't a time spent in vain, and in fact was quite helpful.

Q: When there's a long downtime, many groups give up, yet you guys were able to come out with a new album. What was the difference for you guys?

Seungyeon: It's really important to have faith. Though we debuted with our first album and then had a long blank period of struggle, we can't feel like we lost and didn't do well. Then when we stand back on stage, when the album comes out, when Kara has activities again, I can feel proud of what I did. You have to try really hard and trust yourself and not think things like "let's give up here, let's stop now."

Nicole: I believed that this wasn't the end. So I have to prepare for whenever the opportunity arises again and practice a lot. Anything I had to do, I did.

Q: After the downtime, you changed from a 4-person group to a 5-person one. What points have changed?

Gyuri: You can see that the atmosphere is not brighter. The average age has gone down, and the average height has gone up! <laughs>

Q: Who raised it?

Gyuri: Maknae raised our overall height.

Seungyeon: And she lowered the age. <laughs>

Gyuri: Such helpful friends. Treasure. <laughs> Also with 5 members now, whether it's in the dorm, traveling, or during interviews, it is much more lively. They've definitely helped lighten the atmosphere. The drawback is...um...there is none. Is there anything? Showering time has gotten longer?

Nicole: Yes, showering time has gotten a bit longer. And we have to wait a bit longer at the hair shop. <laughs>

Q: After 10 months, the album has come out. How did it feel to receive the album?

Gyuri: I don't think we're supposed to receive the album. <laughs>

Seungyeon: After the promotions started, then the album came out.

Gyuri: We were on the stage first and then we received it, so when we received it after the emotional comeback stage, we were even more emotional.

Seungyeon: It was really fun, the pictures that came out on the album jacket weren't the ones we took inthe studio. Instead it was the pictures taken after the music video was done filming, so I was tired and sweaty and had to have my makeup redone many times. So when I first saw it, I was like "whaaaaat~."

Q: How to Hara and Jiyoung feel about their first album?

Hara: This album will remain with me till I die. When I first saw the album, I thought "Ah, if only I could have turned out better." I really worked hard on this album, and I have to give it to my mom, I thought.

Jiyoung: When we took the pictures, I thought "I hope the pictures come out pretty," and it seems like they did. However I regret that I couldn't show you all everything about me. Next time I will work hard to try to show you all everything.

Q: From the first broadcast, there's been a bit of controversy over the live singing. I've been very worried about Kara when I saw that.

Gyuri: We didn't actually go on the internet sites. Our manager told us to not go on the internet for a week, and just practice very hard only. The first broadcast happened as such, but the next one we got better, and the next one we did better, we just thought "we can show you a better image of ourselves." If we tell that to ourselves, then we can overcome what other people say? <laughs>

Q: The mini album seems more successful than the 1st album.

All: Really?

DC Inside: It may seem a bit farfetched, but for this interview there were over 1,000 questions.

All: Wow~ <applause>

Gyuri: Seriously? (can't believe)

Q: How does it fee? Finally made it?

Seungyeon: But we haven't really done that well so I don't know.

Gyuri: But we can feel it by the fans that come see us at the practice studio. Although we haven't heard it, but friends and family have said they heard Rock U on the streets before. We even have Japanese fans that come to see us... this makes us so happy.

Q: What does your title song "Rock U" mean?

Nicole: Playing together to give you excitement and joy, like "we will we will rock you"

Q: It seems like the fans were really awaiting you guys. There was a Kara comeback video that fans made. Have you seen it?

All: Yes

Seungyeon: Ah! The dream concert video? I want to know which one it is

<watches video>

Q: How do you feel?

Seungyeon: Really twisted inside. There were people that waited for us. From when we first debuted to now, there was a really long blank period. This is the first time I've realized there were people that waited for us during this period. Thinking about the fact that there were people who waited so long makes me feel so thankful and grateful. That's all I can say.

Q: Kara's comeback is at the same time as other huge stars' promotions, including Seo Taeji, Kim Gunmo, Lee Hyori, Big Bang, and Um Junghwa.

Gyuri: We were really happy because we made "Take 7" for the first time. However that day was Big Bang's comeback, so we were excited but in despair at the same time <laughs>. Also we were #15 on MCountdown. Then the next week is Big Bang's comeback...

Nicole: Big Bang's songs always rise to the top

Gyuri: However we were #18...not even #16...

Nicole: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place were occupied by Big Bang songs

Gyuri: So even though we love Big Bang...TT_TT

Q: However, when chances like this come along, doesn't your heart just get stronger?

Gyuri: It's already gotten a lot stronger <laughs> we have to survive this marathon right?

Q: Recently there's been a lot of female groups that are similar. What is Kara's difference?

Seungyeon: I don't think they're similar at all

Gyuri: Kara's different charm is the we seem like the close girl next door type. Although we're compared often, I think the end is more important than the beginning.

Q: Were there any 'episodes" during the album prep?

Gyuri: Let's stop talking <laughs>

Jiyoung: When we took the jacket pictures, Seungyeon and I had to sit on top of glass. After a few shots the glass broke. Seungyeon and I weren't hurt, but Hara did.

Hara: I'm fine now.

Gyuri: While filming, part of the data got lost.

Q: Versus ability, idol groups seem to be more about looks.

Gyuri: I can't deny that. I think that for idol groups, looks and ability are both extremely important. Can just be more about looks, but can't be just about ability either, since idol groups can't compared to artist musicians there. We want to show you all a great image and a degree of ability. I hope you all see our efforts in both areas.

Q: When making this album, did you think, "this time I really want to succeed"?

Gyuri: First the dream was simple, "I want to get mutizen song." But no matter how I think about it, I want to take that dream higher. I want to be on the year end gayo shows. <laughs>

Q: Since you have to perform live often, it must be hard for the younger members.

Hara: Honestly it's not that burdensome.

Q: Also, your choreography is intense. I heard that Nicole's jumping has caused her knees to be bad. Are your knees ok?

Nicole: It's so-so. <laughs> If I'm not too excited then I do live well. <laughs> There was one time when one of my sunbaes saw my jump and sent me a text message saying "recently they've been too low. Jump bigger, Jump higher." So the next performance I kept thinking "I got to do better." But then during my singing part I messed up a bit, therefore I've learned to adjust a little.

Q: Have you guys choreographed anything on your own?

Gyuri: Regretfully I haven't. I've only participated in the songwriting portion.

Nicole: The jump was my own idea.

Gyuri: The parts when each members comes out and does their solo, each person made that part up themselves.

Q: During the first album, Kara didn't go on variety shows much. Will you be doing so during the mini album?

Gyuri: All 5 of us will be on Star Golden Bell as well as Star King. Variety shows will be our chance to show each member's charm. During our first album we focused more on music performances, but this time we plan on having more activities.

Q: Is there any program you think "I really want to be on that show?"

Seungyeon: We all watch a lot of TV and we all want to be on <We Got Married>, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

DC Inside: It can be an old husband and a young wife.

Seungyeon: They already have those.

Nicole: Or it could just be both young <laughs>

Others: Ah~ that would be fine.

Hara: I wish that the 5 of us could be on an episode of a sitcom. That's what I want.

Gyuri: If we want to do that, why just one episode? <laughs>

Jiyoung: I want us all to have a program together.

Others: That would be great~

Seungyeon: The viewer ratings might be really low.

Q: After listening to all 5 songs on the album, which is your favorite?

Seungyeon/Hara/Nicole/Jiyoung: "Wait"

Gyuri: Then I'll pick "Baby Boy". All the other songs are great too.

Q: Then your follow-up song will be "Wait"

All: Actually no

Gyuri: We're still a dance group, so we don't have opportunities to promote ballad songs. We haven't picked out the follow-up song yet.

Q: When will there be a full album?

Gyuri: If this album does well, then there will be one?

Nicole: If this album sells well, then the chances will increase. <laughs>

Q: The 1st album's concept was a powerful performance and impressionistic singing, and the mini album has a cute concept; the two albums are extremely different. Which is the music that belongs to Kara?

Gyuri: Honestly in the first album we didn't really have a set concept, so in this album we want to start grasping that. We want to find ourselves in this album. Going forward we're going to be cute and lively, following a "teen pop" concept.

Q: Recently you performed Fin.K.L's <Now>. How did it feel?

Gyuri: Initially I thought we were going to be humiliated. But instead the reactions were just "so they can do this side, too." I suppose because we always have this cute concept, so when we did <Now> it got us a little attention.

Q: Did you meet with Hyori?

All: Yes

Nicole: Actually we saw her the day before the broadcast in the studio. Since it was her song, sunbae came to watch over us. She told us to do well the next day, and after the performance she said she watched it and said we did well.

Gyuri: We watched ourselves practice and tried to compare with sunbae. When we watched it we got that feeling. After the <Now> performance, she told us good job, that she watched it on tv, and also bought us food. We are so thankful and so honored.

Q: Currently Seungyeon has solo activities as an MC, do the rest of you have plans for solo activities?

Gyuri: Normally we would only plan for such things either before or after an album. While promoting for an album, it'd be hard to be given something new. We've been talking about doing them when we have a break. Currently we're focused on album promoting.

Q: If there's a solo activity you want to do the most, what would it be?

Gyuri: Even so, the thing I want to focus most on is becoming a singer. If I tried considering other things, then either acting or radio hosting perhaps.

Seungyeon: I also want to focus the most on album promoting, but like Gyuri, I'm studying acting in college, so perhaps acting or MC-ing.

Hara: Broadcasts are most important, but of course I want to do everything.

Nicole: I also want to be a singer the most, I don't think I'd be good at acting or MC-ing.

Jiyoung: Singing for me too. I want to work really hard on my singing and dancing. But if the opportunity comes along, I would like to try acting, too.

Q: Not long ago you had your first-ever fan signing event. How did it feel?

Gyuri: There were people who waited the day before just to get a ticket. We were so moved by that. Time went by so fast so we couldn't do everything we wanted to do. We are truly sorry. The best part was that the 5 of us could be close to the fans, and there were so many people so it was a fresh experience.

Q: Was there a fan that you remembered the most?

Hara: At the signing, most people brought albums or posters with them. However someone brought their diary. I really remember that pretty diary.

Seungyeon: Personally I remember the DC Kara Gallery people the most. They were so unique.

Gyuri: That's definitely it. I'll get to know the people better. <laughs>

Seungyeon: I sat in the first seat, so I was first to see the DC Gallery people come one by one. I was asked "Do you come to DC?" creating the mood.

Jiyoung: And the other fans were just polite in frton of me, but the DC Gallery people were like "Jiyoung ah~" which made me feel close and I really liked that.

Nicole: I didn't even look up to see the fans. I was just signing like crazy and saying thank you.

Gyuri: People who leave messages on my guestbook came, so I said first "Ah~ I'll write your nickname" and then wrote their nickname. I have great memory. <laughs>

Q: Then I'm going to change the mood a little. You must be feeling the competition against the two very popular girl groups <Wonder Girls> and <SNSD>, right?

Gyuri: I mentioned this earlier, but each group may start off differently, but what matters is the goal and how we reached it in the end.

Q: Are you really close?

Gyuri: We're all really good friends, and I'm most close to Yoobin because we're in the same year at school. We were best friends at the time.

Q: Are you close to SS501?

Gyuri: Because we're from the same company.

All: They all take care of us a lot.

Seungyeon: We know each other's numbers and are in constant contact, meet often, eat often, and greet each other often, they really take care of us and help monitor us as well.

Q: There are a lot of people curious about the dorm life. You all live together right?

All: Yes.

Q: What do you girls do in the dorm when there is no schedule?

Nicole: Not long ago we got an audio/dvd set. Before that even though we had a tv, we only had the public stations. But Gyuri unni was good with machines so the two of us could even see movies from a week before. And sometimes we eat together.

All: We enjoyed eating the presents we received from Kara Gallery.

Q: Then you must cook a lot.

Gyuri: Nicole cooks us a lot of delicious food.

Nicole: But often when I can't cook I feel very sorry. There was once when I said "shall I cook for you guys?" but then I slept really late and woke up 5 minutes before we had to go. So everyone could not eat breakfast, and I was very sorry.

Q: So Nicole is the one in charge of the food.

All: No not that.

Gyuri: We find her when we need her.

Nicole: When they're tired, they'll be like "Nicole make it for me~" <laughs>

Q: What is Nicole's best dish?

Jiyoung: Ramen.

Nicole: I just make the general things. I'm tired. <laughs>

Others: Her macaroni is good, too.

Jiyoung: Unni puts a lot of cheese in it. So I like it.

Hara: But it's too heavy. <laughs>

Nicole: Then don't eat it~ <laughs>

Q: Either way putting you all to live together, do you not quarrel?

Gyuri: We don't have big arguments, while promoting we sometimes have differing opinions so people will say their worries directly. But all of us love eating, so everything is solved when we all eat together.

Q: What are your favorite foods?

Gyuri: Korean food? Wow~ I really can't pick. It's kind like how you love your mom and your dad.

(Next to them their manager said "When they go eat, their only worries are the menu so the kids all come out. There's no being weak then."

Nicole: When I eat, I want to eat everything.

Seungyeon: I like to eat Jajangmyun with fermented bean soup.

Nicole: When you eat, you have to Jjambbong, rice... <laughs>

Q: Since you are all so young, isn't it hard living away from home?

Jiyoung: I'm still young. At home I'm also the maknae so they all take care of me.

Gyuri: We're on the verge of growing up? <laughs>

Seungyeon: We're all either maknaes or only childs.

Jiyoung: So before things like laundry and ironing were all done for me before I went to school. But now I have to wash it myself, and though a lady comes to help, it's still inconvenient. But my unnis take good care of me. But I do miss my parents.

<to be continued...>

Link: http://www.dcnews.in/etc_list.php?code=succeed&id=12445

Link by: Mae

Translated by Tinggg @ Karaholic.com

thanks tinggg.. :)

i love their answers to this question: "Q: When there's a long downtime, many groups give up, yet you guys were able to come out with a new album. What was the difference for you guys?"

they didn't believe it was over either :blush:.. like us.. i think their persistence has paid off a ton..but i love this interview just cause it's so in depth.. can't wait for the rest :D

thanks ting!! :D

reading the rest of this makes me love the girls EVEN MORE.

how much can my love grow for them?! lol

the girls always stayed strong..i love that about them

and they didn't give up..

hara and jiyoung didn't talk much

they still talk to sunghee right?!

i think gyuri,nicole and seung yeon must had really hard time during the 10 months of hiatus. Not just stop all activities for 10 months, but the expection for kara was huge cuz they were labeled finkl 2 at that time.

Not rock you come back, but their 2nd mini album showed to everyone that kara was a great and capable group that can make a lot of success!

the interview is interesting and showing the spirit of kara...

go go girls!!!

i think they've been through a lot and now they're back with more energy and ready to take another come back in july. can't wait to see them again!

Hahhah i love how they joked about their height/ages in the end. <3 cuties.

And it's really touching to know that they didn't give up and they supported each other through their hiatus; it must've been really hard to see new groups debut and other groups make comebacks and stuff. But they really used that time well. Gyul, songwriting! That's so cool! It'd be great to have one of her stuff featured on an album or something (:

GyulHamCole definitely went through a lot...

But they didn't gave up on their dream ^^

Jiyoung and Hara working hard as well ^^

The age average lessen and the height limit increased...lol

Thank you very much for the translations Tinggg onni ^^ and for the tip off Mae onni ^^

ooh thanks for this~

it's always nice reading about KARA's determination and perseverance to get back into the music scene. I'm glad that they used the blank time in improving themselves and going to school.

I can't wait for their comeback!

Seungyeon: It was really fun, the pictures that came out on the album jacket weren't the ones we took inthe studio. Instead it was the pictures taken after the music video was done filming, so I was tired and sweaty and had to have my makeup redone many times. So when I first saw it, I was like "whaaaaat~."

hmm sounds like the work of DSP.. last minute changes :P

Q: From the first broadcast, there's been a bit of controversy over the live singing. I've been very worried about Kara when I saw that.

Gyuri: We didn't actually go on the internet sites. Our manager told us to not go on the internet for a week, and just practice very hard only.

i think everyone including the girls, managers, and fans weren't very surprised about the comeback performance.. so much change and every thing was rushed. Jing and Hara having only joined a month or two ago.. but i think the manager was sweet as to kind of protect the girls..

Seungyeon: Really twisted inside. There were people that waited for us. From when we first debuted to now, there was a really long blank period. This is the first time I've realized there were people that waited for us during this period. Thinking about the fact that there were people who waited so long makes me feel so thankful and grateful. That's all I can say.

yes SeungYeon we really exist :lol:..

Gyuri: We were really happy because we made "Take 7" for the first time. However that day was Big Bang's comeback, so we were excited but in despair at the same time <laughs>. Also we were #15 on MCountdown. Then the next week is Big Bang's comeback...

Nicole: Big Bang's songs always rise to the top

Gyuri: However we were #18...not even #16...

Nicole: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place were occupied by Big Bang songs

Gyuri: So even though we love Big Bang...TT_TT

aww girls.. but i'm sure they are happier now and gyuri's last statement is cute ^_^

Q: Versus ability, idol groups seem to be more about looks.

Gyuri: I can't deny that. I think that for idol groups, looks and ability are both extremely important. Can just be more about looks, but can't be just about ability either, since idol groups can't compared to artist musicians there. We want to show you all a great image and a degree of ability. I hope you all see our efforts in both areas.

true true.. but i think ability is becoming a lot more important than before.. although looks will always be more important in idol groups i think... but KARA doesn't have to worry about that :lol:

*I like how the girls are aware of what they have to do and work on.. they don't live in this protected bubble.. that's crucial.. DSP on the other hand :lol:

thanks TING!!!!!! :D