[2009.07.29] 'Girl Group, What Color Are You?' - Sexy, Pure, Unconventional - 3 Colors of Charms

soshilover

[07.29.09] 'Girl Group, What Color Are You?' - Sexy, Pure, Unconventional - 3 Colors of Charms

20090729_115207726791_3.jpg

'Woman World.' It is currently the peak generation of girl groups in the music industry. Amidst the steady stream of comebacks from established girl groups, new girl groups are joining in and a silent war is taking place. The personality that each group is pursuing is as clear as the intensity of the competition between them.

The various girl groups can be grouped into three general colors. First, SNSD and Brown Eyed Girls (forthwith referred to as B.E.G.) are displaying a mature image while emphasizing sexiness. On the other hand, Kara and T-ara are displaying a mature image through a cute and pure feeling. 2NE1 and 4minute are emitting unconventionality through their powerful stage manners.

We take a look at the 3 colors of charms the six girl groups have with regard to their music, choreography, and clothing.

Kara, T-ara: 'Purity Through Cuteness and Innocence'

20090729_115207726791_1.jpg

When thinking of girl groups, the first image that pops up is purity. They use cuteness and calmness to emphasize their girlishness. This concept is used often because it is the universal image and the expectation of the general public concerning girl groups. This includes Kara and T-ara, who have activities for the second half of the year ahead of them.

Kara's lively and lighthearted song 'Wanna' shows the group's inborn bubbly charm. The speed of the song is lively and electronic sounds embellish the vocals, while the repeated phrase is cute and strong. T-ara is entering the music industry with 'Lie,' which is a medium tempo song that emphasizes powerful vocals and emits femininity through its calm rhythm.

The choreographies are characteristically calm and cute. Kara's teaser showed dancing with lots of finger movements. The action of gathering their arms in front of them and moving their hands is lively. T-ara portrays a girlish and clear image using choreography where there is not much movement except moving their hands and legs in both directions.

Both groups' pure charm is best expressed by the styles of their outfits. Kara shows their characteristic lively, cute, and bright image by wearing candy-colored T-shirts along with dresses and jeans. T-ara members collectively wear either all white or black and white clothing to portray a tidy and soft image. The clothes exude a lively, pure, and innocent feeling.

An employee of Kara's management company stated, "The existing image of Kara is cute. We tried to show a more mature feeling this time around with the music and the visuals. However, we did not toss the characteristic cute feeling of girl groups. This was used as a foundation so that fans can still see the characteristic color of Kara."

--------------------------------

When

Thanks for the article! I agree with you ^ I love every single girl group out there.

Kara just happens to be my favorite one out of all of them xD T-ara's new song Lies

Is very catchy but, I prefer the ballad version (: as for Kara, I'm already stuck on Wanna.

Hm, both groups are in white and their concept is similar. I guess T-ara is Kara's competition

This year! Can't wait for their comeback and debut!

this article is so true!!! ha ha ha dividing the girl group competition to three categories.

kara is cute pure and lively, of which may directly compete against T-Ara. I'm sure it won't be so difficult for Kara.

the other two group, on the other hand, is holding strong on their grounds. wonder what result will turn out at then eng of this year. who will be the best girl group? i wish it is Kara!!!

There are so many girl groups this summer !

I like the 'Purity Through Cuteness and Innocence' of Tiara and Kara the most.

Because I have never been a big fan of the "too sexy" nor "fierce ghetto" image.

That's why I didn't become fan of KARA during Break It lol. but after Secret World.

The action of gathering their arms in front of them and moving their hands is lively.

Wahh that choreography is already catching some attention! Great. 8D

Even though the girls groups can be grouped into three categories, they're still waaay different. BEG's sexiness is different from SNSD's, and Kara's charm is different from T-ara's as well. And 2NE1 is different from 4minute too, although their fashion can sometimes be quite similar. I think T-ara's pure image is more comparable to SNSD's ITNW image? Pure and clean, something like that. 8D

Ahh the girl group's "silent war" will be quite.. interesting XD

Every group has one unique colour. All the groups are so different, but they can resemble each other in few departaments. The image that I like most is 'Purity Through Cuteness and Innocence', I don't like the guetto image and I'm trying to be a bad boy image. That's why I'm fan of Kara and SNSD. I really liked the image that T-ara is passing. They remember SNSD in the ITNW fase. And they have a good first single. I hope they continue to growing.

Kara's 2nd Album is so good. They showed a mature side and yet, they are the same. Kara is the kinda of group that doesn't seem so irreal...like too pure, too cute, too sexy and too gangsta. That's why I love these girls. They have an unique charm, that nobody else has.

Every girl group has their own unique charm, but I have to say that I really like T-ara and Kara's most.

They're mature and at the same time cute.

I don't really like the bad boy, kinda gangsta image that 2ne1 & 4minute pulls off, but I do like their songs (at least 2ne1's).

And SNSD and B.E.G, they're good I think I'm not just a big fan of the sexy concept.

Yep yep i think they got this one right^^ I've seen this article around the net too

Hmm but people really compare the groups too quickly because there all girl groups

Most of them are very different syles~

oh well I'm glad KARA is bringing a stronger image this time^^

-Tashi

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks sharing the article.

I agree with certain elements of the article, but I not really sure I'd classify Kara's choreography for a song like Mister as either calm or cute. It shows their maturity for sure, but it seems to exude in many ways a sexier side to the group. Their choreography for Wanna on the other hand holds true to the calm and cute, though I'm really sure "calm" is the right word, personae the article claims both T-ara and Kara are known for.

• 2 months later...

lol yeah that's partly why i like kara -- they can be vibrant, vivacious, cheerful and lively but they can also be elegant, feminine and pure. as a "girl fan" myself, i never cared much about sexiness - one of the many things i REALLY REALLY cannot understand about boys. that's why BEG or 4minute or 2NE1 never really caught my eye. wg did with nobody, snsd also did with their songs but kara was the very first to catch my eye - i didnt really like the image in break it but from rock u all the way to revolution, i absolutely LOVE the image.......

umm is T-Ara good?? if it is i might consider listening to their songs.......... but dont worry - kara has always been #1 in my heart and will be forever.