[2009.09.17] K-Pop Singers Meet Thai Princess

mae

K-Pop Singers Meet Thai Princess

090917p15kara.jpg

The members of girl band KARA pose in this file photo. KARA and other top K-pop groups appeared in an entertainment gala show in Thailand, Wednesday organized by Thai Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya.

Top K-pop groups SHINee and KARA, and Ryan from the boy band Paran appeared in an event Wednesday organized by Thai Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya ― the eldest daughter of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The Korean stars performed in the opening gala show of the Thailand Entertainment Expo 2009, Siam. They also greeted the princess and delivered gifts from Korea, including DVDs of the popular TV soap "Boys Over Flowers" and local movies, Yonhap News reported Thursday.

In Thailand, the king is revered as a living image of the Buddha and the royal family is regarded with utmost respect. The special Korea-Thailand encounter was able to take place because the princess is the honorary ambassador to the expo.

The 58-year-old appeared gracefully in a purple dress to tour the expo hall and made welcoming remarks to SHINee members and Ryan upon receiving the presents.

The gift choice was inspired by her royal highness' interest and work in the entertainment industry; she is known to have produced films and TV series, and acted in the film "Where the Miracle Happens."

The princess, who visited South Korea in December 2008 to promote the Thailand Entertainment Expo, said she enjoyed watching Korean dramas such as "Jewel in the Palace," "Full House" and "Autumn Fairytale,"and liked K-pop singer Rain.

Meanwhile, SHINee visited a local orphanage prior to the event. Some 200 Thai fans showed up at the venue to welcome the all-boy group, said local reports. About 100 children from the orphanage also joined the crowd.

The five-member band gave dance performances and talent gigs, and also split into two teams to play basketball with the care center children. They also delivered gift T-shirts bearing "hangeul" (Korean alphabet) designs.

SHINee, girl band KARA and Ryan participated in an outdoor concert Thursday at Park Paragon for the 1st Korea-Thailand Friendship Concert. Thai stars were also featured in the event, including male duo Golf & Mike, female singer Namcha and male singer Ice.

hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

source: Koreatimes

tip off: Angeal @ KH.

hmm... it was on KARA's schedule to visit the orphanage.. but it was removed .. so i don't know what happened there .. lol. aww the girls didn't give the princess anything XD.. well it was their first time.. i guess they didn't think of it.. but hmm DSP should have XD..

Hm, interesting. Yeah it's too bad they didn't give the Princess anything. I hope they didn't feel bad or awkward

because SHINee and Ryan gave a gift. Oh well, their gift was showing up (: Thanks mae for sharing.

Wa~aah !! So awesome.. They met the thai princess.. ^^ .. Aww.. It was cancelled? The orphanage meeting? .. I'd would've loved to see that.. KARA participating in lots of action these days.. ^^ I'm excited *-* ^^

that's cool luh. get to meet big shot people from other countries. =X

But i have been wondering, what's the special connection between thailand and korea such that korean entertainment industry's so popular and so sought after in thailand lol.

Anyway Go KARA =D

That's is really cool and KARA must be happy to be able to attend an even like that with a real princess lol.

It doesn't surprise me at all that princess Ubolratana Rajakanya organized something like that.

She has always been the less traditional in the royal family : when she was young she even embraced a career as actress and got married with an american.

Edited by Solin

hmm wonder why DSP didn't even thought of a gift for the thai princess but anyways, guess it was there first time eh..

what happened to the orphanage schedule thingy?? i'm happy that they were with SHINee lol!

thanks for sharing..

For not giving a present, I think it's okay I guess. DSP should take care of the details. It must had been awkward.

But, It was a honour to our girls to meet the thai princess. The Korea-Thailand Friendship Concert was probably great because it had SHINee, Kara, Golf & Mike and Ice. I don't know Namcha and Paran (only by name), but I know that Golf & Mike are super popular in Thai (not only there)....I wish I was there to watch the concert.

• 5 months later...