[2009.10.25] Han Seungyeon: "I hope they would refer to us as the 'Spirited Idols' from now on.."

coffeebeanie

20091024seungyeon17thum.jpg

At 2:30pm, on October 24, in one Kangnam Cafe. A girl in her 20's, with her hair tied up, wearing a white blouse and black apron, was making coffee from an expresso machine. She holds the coffee cup with her eyes bright-eyed and says "Do you want to try coffee made by Seungyeon?"

I met KARA's Han Seungyeon (21. Kyung Hee University) that day. KARA made their comeback last July 2008 with <Rock U>, followed by songs like <Pretty Girl>, <Honey> and <Mister>. Because of these continuous hits, they have been receiving a lot of love from fans.

Han Seungyeon, part of Samsung's latest campaign Tommorow, transformed into 'Everyday Barrista' as part of the promotions for this campaign. Around 200 fans gathered at the cafe, and when Seungyeon was handing over a cup of coffee to a guy in his 20's, the fans went wild - "Wow.. Suengyeon nuna Jjang! You're so pretty!" "Total goddess!"

This kind of popularity was hard to imagine around 2 and a half years ago. DSP Entertainment, the company behind Fink.l, wanted to put out another girl group. They did this confidently with sentiments like 'Lets make a new legend in the industry'. Unfortunately, the girls of KARA were not able to live up all the hype and anticipation. Groups like Wonder Girls and Girl's Generation were two walls on each side that seemed impossible to get over.

Seungyeon says "There are a lot of celebrities that fail, fall to the ground and have a hard time. Just like them, we also experienced hardships along the way. People all have different ways of handling problems, but for us, 'Lets work with all out tenacity' - it was like a spell. In the dark practice room, we were already thinking 'We should go run around some more in the living room at home.' Thats how hard we worked."

She doesn't have that outstanding beauty that pops right out, but her big bright eyes, and clear smile, helped her earned the title of 'Celebrity without antis'. When KARA was not as popular as they are now, all the cable programs and outdoor events invited Han Seungyeon. She was a VJ for a gaming program, where she was called 'Starcraft's goddess', an MC for KM TV's 'SSGB' and also an MC for MBC's 'Section TV Entertainment'. Aside from her regular programs, she also frequented as a guest whenever the opportunity arrived. Because of this, they were dubbed as the 'Economic Idols' - idols who have to work to be able to sustain their living expenses.

Seungyeon explains "We didn't work so hard because we were poor. We were thankful that people recognized us, but its definitely not because we needed the money. I hope they call us 'Spirited Idols' instead. Its because we are spirited that we are able to work hard in everything we do. I think thats a good thing."

This idol who is in her twenties grabs every opportunities that she can. In the music industry she names Lee Hyori and Boa as her role models, while in the acting department, she looks up to Lee Mi Yeon. After 11 or 12am, she enters into a different world. She plays around with an 8 year old jazz piano, and also looks over at the sheets of New age music, wondering to herself 'How can I sing this?'

"My piano skills are almost zero. But I do know how to read notes. Singing along with the piano is more comfortable for me, and also, it helps me express my feelings."

In one month, Seungyeon also reads 2-3 books - she explains 'I'm the type of person that once I start reading, I have to read till the end." She also is a gadget collector. She has MP3s, PMP, Gaming devices, Digital Camera, Notebook 3G.. She says "Most of them, I received as gifts, but I'm into electronic stuff. I want to have them all.."

Han Seungyeon recently revealed that she had her first kiss after debuting. When asked if she was still meeting this person, she quickly answered "No! I don't have a boyfriend right now." She went on to describe her ideal type.

"Daniel Henney's looks, Kang Dong Won's charms, Lee Junki's sexiness, Hyun Bin's gentleness - I want a guy with these qualities. Oh, and also my dad's caring nature. 10 years from now, I don't want to be a celebrity, but rather a mom." Seungyeon, who dreams of being a caring mom, enjoys instant food better. One of her favorite food is the 3 minute microwavable Curry.

She ends by saying "If given a chance, I also want to go into acting. Am I asking for too much? But right now, me and the other members are preparing for our album. Please wait for us!"

source: CHOSUN LINK

thanks to mae@KARAholic

translated by coffeebeanie@KARAholic. CREDIT FULLY WHEN REDISTRIBUTING. DO NOT REMOVE OR EDIT CREDIT LINE

i didnt know that that's the reason why they were called economical idols. i've always thought that fans called them that because of the things they have. :P

yep yep, definitely. Seungyeon worked hard back then to keep Kara's name up. i'm glad that things are going for the better for them. haha, Seungyeon's love for gadgets is something.

and she has high standards when it comes to her ideal guy. :)

thank youu for the translations!

Yah~~ Its so touching.

'I met KARA's Han Seungyeon (21. Kyung Hee University) that day. KARA made their comeback last July 2008 with <Rock U>, followed by songs like <Pretty Girl>, <Honey> and <Mister>. Because of these continuous hits, they have been receiving a lot of love from fans.'

I like this. teehee~

And so proud of kara. They endured soo much! Unique spirited idols, commoner/economic style!

Thats why i love kara so much. Not just any other girl group:D

Seungyeon onni indeed worked hard during Kara's hiatus...

Different MC gigs ^^

Yes and I like how despite the struggles Kara have experienced it only made them more determined to achieve their dreams...XD

Thank you very much for the translations Tin onni ^^ and for the tip off Mae onni ^^

They've come a long way since their debut and it's crazy to see how much they've grown since! Seungyeon's words are so inspiring! Yes, Kara is the spirited idol <333 They do everything with confidence and with full effort and that's what makes Kara so awesome <33 They didn't let anything get in their way, they worked hard through the struggles, and look at them now T__T brings tears to my eyes, honestly.

Had NO idea about that first kiss, Seungyeon xDDD Wonder who the lucky fella was?

Her standards are quite high ^^; hopefully she finds herself a nice man in 10 years time =D

"Daniel Henney's looks, Kang Dong Won's charms, Lee Junki's sexiness, Hyun Bin's gentleness - I want a guy with these qualities. Oh, and also my dad's caring nature. 10 years from now, I don't want to be a celebrity, but rather a mom."

Seungyeon as a mommy~ (((: Ehehe. Anyway, I love the article. And "Spirited Idols" would be better than "Economic" ones, because they really did work hard to be where they are right now. Also had no idea about the kiss! Haha, wonder who it was? ;p Thanks for the news!

I like her title ' Celebrity without antis' and 'Starcraft Goddess'... Sprited Idols... kinda agree.. Kara bring Happiness to peoples wherever they go.. they so full of energy,cheerful, cute and hardworking.. So, Hammm want to became mom before her age reach 32 years old.. i hope she can find that Mr. Right and someone who can cook and wash dishes so that Hamm wont eat too much instant foods..

I totally agree with Seung Yeon. It's like they pity Kara! That's . . . . . so not right.

They worked so hard to come this far. Her words are so motivational and inspiring.

These are definitely the reasons to why i love Kara. Everything they do, I can relate

To. I will definitely wait for them =) Kara FIGHTING!

She was a VJ for a gaming program, where she was called 'Starcraft's goddess'

really? i would like to see that XD

no wonder i would see like seungyeon on a lot of variety shows

yeah, they have the spirit and heart; hope they'll be recognized as spirited idols now

really liked them when they debuted but with wg and snsd gaining popularity rapidly, it was quite hard for them to gain fans

and the sudden departure of sunghee was a tragic loss (hope she would comeback soon)

but then hara and jiyoung came along and kara got another chance

wish i could get a cup of coffee served by seungyeon, envious of the fans that received one ^^;

sweet article.. and yea stop calling them economic idols XD..

I totally agree with Seung Yeon. It's like they pity Kara! That's . . . . . so not right.

totally.. i really dislike it when people do that.. they don't deserve that.. just be happy when how far they have come and how they will all continue doing their best.. that's probably how the girls think anyway.. not oh we didn't get this award blah blah etc...

thanks Tin..

lol sy has picked up a few nicknames of her own too "celebrity without antis", i didn't know about that one but that's cool

hopefully the fans get the memo about the whole switching to "spirited idols", it sounds so much more appropriate lol

though i'm still waiting for the day the girls get called "energizer fairies" or something along those lines xD

I'm proud of her. She really did work hard to help Kara. I always noticed she always mention Kara on every interview and show she goes on and she is also thinking about the other members. I remember her saying her personality is actually quiet and shy and it impressed me that she can change into a bright person to help reach out to the fans.

Kara has come along way and I am glad they are successful now ;) I really respect them because they truly worked hard to achieve what they have now.

At 2:30pm, on October 24, in one Kangnam Cafe. A girl in her 20's, with her hair tied up, wearing a white blouse and black apron, was making coffee from an expresso machine. She holds the coffee cup with her eyes bright-eyed and says "Do you want to try coffee made by Seungyeon?"

She holds the coffee up with her bright-eyed and say "Do you want to try coffee made by Seungyeon?" , i know that is going to sound so heart-melting till i gonna faint hard if Seungyeon asked me that ! I gonna drink that coffee drop by drop while every drop i drink i would say I LOVE SEUNGYEON ! XD ! Hahaha i am over excited i guess ! Even thou lately i have lotsa trial exams before my real exams come in i still can't hold myself from Kara ! xD ! So eventually , KARA still is my "Musts" xD !

Seungyeon, who dreams of being a caring mom, enjoys instant food better. One of her favorite food is the 3 minute microwavable Curry.

She can try be my mum first ! , i would be a good boy ! xD ! And i hope she don't eat that too often even thou she likes it because its not too good for health ! Especially during pregnancy ! O_O

Thanks for the lovely post ! ~~

Seungyeon ~ love ya ~~~ ♥

Seungyeon fighting !~

This is a really touching article. Seung Yeon has gradually become my favourite member over time, and this only makes me like her even more. I agree that she does have looks which will completely blow you away the first time you see her, but she's got such a pure personality at heart.

Even I admittedly overlooked KARA back during their debut because of WG and SNSD, but looking back now at the path they have taken, I have so much respect for these girls and how much harder it must have been for them during their initial debut period. KARA hwaiting!