[2009.11.02] Netizens are touched after watching videos from KARA's 'non-famous' period

coffeebeanie

symsl.jpg

Videos of KARA member Han Seungyeon, VJ-ing for a gaming program suddenly became one of the most watched since the article broke out about Seungyeon talking about their hardships on SBS's Strong Heart. Debuting in 2007, the same year as the debut of Wonder Girls and Girls Generation, KARA initially had a hard time gaining popularity, and till the first half of 2008 the group was considered as failures in comparison to other more successful groups.

The reason why the group has earned the name of 'Economic Idols' and even the harsher 'No money, poor idols' is because instead of protecting their idol image, the members, most noticeably Han Seungyeon, went on different cable programs and even outdoor events to stay in the consciousness of people. The hard work shown by Seungyeon earned the group the nickname of 'Economic Idols'.

Many were not aware of this period for KARA, and new fans were surprised to see the old clips. Although the videos are about 2 years old, netizens were able to dig up the old files and watched a younger Seungyeon host the cable program all by herself. Many netizens said they teared up while watching the old clips, noticing how far the group has come from their 'failure' days.

Others wrote 'Now that KARA has succeeded, Seungyeon must feel proud.', 'If not for Han Seungyeon, there would be no KARA today', 'No matter what other people say, Seungyeon is still the "Face" of KARA'.

Han Seungyeon's tearful confession and behind story will be broadcasted on November 3.

source: NATE NEWS

translated by coffeebeanie@KARAholic CREDIT FULLY WHEN REDISTRIBUTING. DO NOT REMOVE OR EDIT CREDIT LINE

Being a fan of KARA since their debut and following all their minor and major activities for the past 2+ years, I think I have a right to post this. I know people are praising SY and it's well deserved and ask any KARA fan who's been there since the beginning that are still here and they won't deny that. But saying she single handedly "saved" KARA is a disservice to the other members, during those hard times ALL the members were suffering, SeungYeon had work opportunities but Gyuri and Nicole were helpless, they couldn't do anything.... couldn't make any income at all. Jiyoung and Hara brought a lot of attention when they joined the group as well... Even when KARA wasn't so popular, they weren't entirely forgotten... the fans, they did their best to keep KARA's name in the public... but they could only do so much, as we know fan support is huge. I just wanted to acknowledge SY but other members contributed to the group as well and made KARA what and who they are today and that includes Sunghee too.

thanks Tin.

• Like 1

mae, i was thinking the same thing too.. i think people tend to blow things out of proportion, and right now, SY is getting the most attention for it, because she was the one who talked about it openly..

for gyul, she's the leader, so she had to keep everyone together, she had to be strong for the rest of the members..

for nicole, the bright and optimistic maknae.. i think she kept the mood light and happy, being the energizer bunny that she is.. :lol: i know everyone did their part.. SY's part may be on cam, but gyul and nic was off cam.. Doesn't mean that one thing is better than the other..

i'm just glad the three didn't give up, and with two new faces, KARA was given another chance..

on a totally different note, i wonder how sunghee is feeling about all this.. i miss her. ><

Aww.. Hamm such a strong girl.. agree @ Mae.. all member desrved the praise for working hard.. especially Nicole she had trouble in speaking korean but she always positive and cheerful.. Hamm may not "single handly" save Kara but she did contributed a lot. For me she still Face of Kara..

Edited by Chionga

Seung yeon is the face of Kara. She had the most promotions during their hiatus. Although I never watched

them I always kept the word "KARA" in my head. Being a Kamilia makes me proud. It's amazing that netizens

will feel touched watching their old videos. I always felt they only pitied them. More importantly, I feel Kara

as a whole succeeded. Every single one including Jing + Hara put effort into their succession. KARA JJANG!

I agree with Mae. I was a fan during their old day's, But not the updated type, Like right now. Hammie did a good job on letting people know about KARA, I can't say she didn't, But later on .. When Nicole joined SGB .. I really saw she wanted people to recognize them more. And the rest of the member's too. Yet people.. They only seem to accept thing's AFTER they're revealed.. KARA isn't just KARA. KARA is one group, One family. They can't leave out other member's.. JiRa even. And saying " Economic idol's " is really rude, To be honest. KARA want to spread their sweet melody, That's more important than money. That's how i've felt, anyways.

Thank you for sharing..

Yes. After all her hard work & promoting she would always be KARA's MASCOT (:

SeungYeon FTW! KARA FTW!~

" If not for Han Seungyeon, there would be no KARA today"

I think the others also did their part in their own ways. (:

I can understand when they say seungyeon is the face of kara.. we are all proud of her and what she has done..

but they shouldnt leave out the other members.. its not like they feel any better on the whole issue.. they all went through that same tough period.

Agreed with what everyone said. I haven't been a fan of KARA long, but I do think the other members worked hard for the success of KARA today. They all contributed what they had to make KARA. Seungyeon did work hard though, but so did all the girls. It's nice to see KARA be more appreciated, although it is a little late now. KARA is truly jjang.

to be honest, I don't think Kara's made it yet. They've definitely earned a name for themselves, and they are getting more face-time (CF finally!) and appearances in various shows, but they're far from being "firmly" established, especially with the girl-group fest that's going on. Rock U/Pretty Girl/Honey were mildly popular, and Wanna/Mister got them more attention (because of the "butt" dance more than anything). In my mind, they haven't given us something that really says "WOW" musically, and with the end of Revolution album promos, they've done away with alot of potential for other-song promotion.

I'm not trying to be mean, because I like Kara more than the other groups out there right now (not just for their music, but personality-wise, along with their hard-working character), but I hope they don't become complacent and think their slight popularity now will carry them. Kara! 화이팅!

I'm sorry, but I am absolutely sick of the Korean mainstream media calling 2007 their non-famous / "failure" period. They had fame, and they were not failures.I dare you to watch any Kara 4 video, listen to the crowd, and call them failures. Did you find it difficult, Korean mainstream media? That's because you were wrong to begin with. Not to mention that The First Blooming is one of the best Kpop girl group albums one will ever hear.

As pretty much everyone who's followed Kara since day 1 knows, the fact is that WG's Tell Me syndrome and Sunghee's departure were two major reasons why Kara fell off the map. IT WASN'T BECAUSE THEY WERE FAILURES.

Edited by KARAokeing

This is not much of a comment nor does it add any extra insight to this article but what mae, WinterFrost, and KARAokeing posted are highly recommended for a read. They took the words right out of my mouth, they said everything that I wanted to say and was thinking about. Thank you. Just wanted to point that out.

Edited by UnknownIdiot

well we all know that the media wants to blow something big..

sooyoung from snsd just said that she wished to go out with sung gi or something

Den the media made it BIG that sooyoung was quite cautious of what she says ever since

So lets take it this way, we all know that seungyeon worked SOO hard during the time of uncertainty

not forgetting the rest of the members

lets not read word by word as what the media wrote

Lets us think seungyeon-ish

Would seungyeon claim full credit for what she did?

No,she noes that the girls are doing it together

Saving KARA together as a team.This is what i believe in :(

Wasn't there a SGB episode when Ji Suk Jin/Kim Jae Dong mentioned that Kara is now considered one of the top 3 girl groups of recent time? I believe they were placed in the ranks of SNSD and Wonder Girls now.

I remember upon the congratulations, seeing the happy faces of the girls and it made me happy as well.