The Original KARA

chupachups

Since most of us are fans of them, i created this thread to relive those memories we had with them.

KARA consisted of four members. Park Gyuri, Han Seungyeon, Kim Sunghee and Jung Nicole. They debuted under the title of 2nd Finkl on 29th March 2007 on Mcountdown with the song Break It. After Break It, they promoted If U Wanna and followed by Secret World. Seungyeon was offered to be the MC for MSL Break in October 2007 which she did until Mid September 2008. When they were on hiatus, they appeared as regulars on the game show, Live Wannabe which lasted until Christmas. February 29, 2008; DSP released the news of Sunghee's departure - only one month away from their 1st year.

kara-3.jpg

Dream Concert 2007:

KARA-6.gif

KARA.gif

dc.jpg

dc2.jpg

dc5.jpg

Asia Song Festival 2007

Participation in an Ost - "Fighting"

MKMF 2007

Live Wannabe:

lw2.jpg

KARA:

kr1.jpg

Introduction:

Fans Created the name GyulHamSungCole in reference to all four of them. DSP only concentrated for them to perform on music stages. Because of that, they rarely went on variety shows together as a group.

Park Gyuri:

She was a child actress and was in another company before she left and auditioned for DSP. She was picked as Kara's Leader not only because she's the older but also because of her abilities. Sometimes DSP's staffs even approached her in terms of discussions for KARA. Her mother is a dubber and Gyuri has inherited that talent too. She does her own voice imitations many times before. Recently, she has been imitating Honey (from Honey & Clover i guess) on radio shows. She jokes around a lot..with fans and also with the members. She will always joke on how beautiful/gorgeous she is. :lol: She has awkward aegyo too. :D

i remember reading KARA's facts that Korean Fan believed that Gyuri will find comfort in Nicole whenever she's down. That's because Nicole is strong while Sunghee and Seungyeon are kinda "weak". Which was later confirmed by the recent interview. Gyuri said that she talks to Nicole a lot.

But other than that, there are times where Gyuri bottled up her feelings too and the members mentioned it before. They wished for Gyuri to talk to them about it instead of keeping it all to herself.

They were times when fans waited for them till late at night (usually whenever they have radio shows) and Gyuri will tell them to go home as its getting late. One time, Kamilia created a heart with candles for Gyuri.

Gyul stands for Mandarin Oranges in Korean.

and because of that, Kamilia will post up pictures of Oranges on her cyworld as a joke and to tease her.

some of it are:

gyulgyul.jpg

gyul-1.jpg

gyul-1.jpg

lol-2.jpg

More Info: Park Gyuri's Karaholic Profile

Han Seungyeon:

KARA's Smarty Pants. :P She attended High School in the US (Tenafly High School) and almost got into medical school but gave it up because she wanted to be a singer instead. Her parents weren't too fond of that idea but gave in to their only child. She introduced herself as Kara's 2nd Unnie. Its no doubt that she's Kara's eye candy. With her humongous eyes, round eyes, small frame...she's like a human chibi! LOL! Because of her young looks, fans started calling her Choding (elementary student).

Other than that, she was Nicole's Korean Tutor too. But apparently, she taught Nicole Korean Curse words too. Nicole mentioned that a lot of times. haha! Seungyeon is the first to have solo activities too. She feels sorry for that and even apologised to the members on radio. She never fails to mention KARA or the members on SSGB. The two people that are most mentioned by her while hosting SSGB are KARA & Younha. :D She emphasised many times that Gyuri is KARA's leader and that Gyuri takes care of the group well while she just plays with them.

She had the tendency of posting an entry on her cyworld, and they quickly taking it down. Only those who are fast enough will be able to catch her entries.

More Info: Han Seungyeon's Karaholic Profile

Kim Sunghee:

KARA's most playful member. But despite that, she's one of the members that have deep thoughts and always posts "emo" posts; causing us to wonder if she's really fine or not. She trained for 3 years in DSP and initially thought she was going debut as a solo artists. But DSP had other plans for her, and chose Gyuri, Seungyeon and Nicole to be debut with her as a group. Her late mom was an OST singer and opposed to the idea of her becoming a singer as she knows how difficult it is to survive in the entertainment world. I'm not sure when her mom passed away, but i read on soompi that it was speculated that she passed away in 2005 - when Sunghee was still a trainee. She rarely talks about her mom, the only one time she did was when she posted an entry about her on her cyworld; saying that her dad mentions a lot of times that Sunghee reminds him of her mom. She wore her mom's ring in memories of her.

She's definitely has the passion for singing but also the laziest (in terms of school)? I remember reading that she skipped school just because she cant find her uniform too. And being mischievous and naughty, she often wear cargo pants to school and would get caught for not being in proper uniform. lol. She mentioned that she was lonely when she was a trainee cause she had no one to trained with, so when the GyulHamCole joined DSP, the four of them trained together for a year before debuting as KARA.

She's obviously the "noise" of KARA. lol. When she talks and play around, she can get pretty loud. lol. Even Seungyeon mentioned about it. That..now that Sunghee is not with them, their noise level decreased. lol. The last time Sunghee was seen with the members was during her high school graduation ceremony. Gyuri and Nicole dropped by to give her support.

seonghui.jpg

untitled-6.jpg

More Info: Kim Sunghee's Karaholic Profile

Jung Nicole:

KARA's lovable, naive Maknae. She auditioned in the states and got in. She came to Korea with her mom on Valentines Day. She never really talked about her dad..only did once. I'm assuming that her dad stayed in LA while only her mom accompanied her to Korea.

Nicole, like Sunghee, is a deep thinker.

The only difference between them is that Nicole's entries are "non-emoish" instead, most of her entries are really positive and optimistic kinds. She's religious too. She quoted some sayings of the bible on her cyworld, and she used to attend Global Christian School in Korea. She's obviously an avid movie goer too. She really likes Step Up. She posted up the movies posters on her cyworld. Both Step Up 1 and Step Up 2.

Her Korean was obviously pretty bad, but that didnt stopped her from leaving messages to Kamilia. Her messages probably had lots of wrong grammar but Kamilia still understood what she's saying. :) In the beginning of KARA's promotions, she didnt talked much, but she definitely loosen up and start talking more despite her bad pronunciation and use of words. lol. She'll usually use English words to get the members attention. Like, "Wait" or "Stop". haha! Cause the members usually talk all at the same time, she uses that to get their attention or to state her opinion. lol.

Nicole knows what to be thankful and grateful for. Despite of her not getting much promotions from DSP, she still smiles and thank for the opportunity that is given to her.

More Info: Jung Nicole's Karaholic Profile

Predebut Pictures of them:

their "trying-out" predebut concept:

pd1.jpg

2asdf.jpg

4asdf.JPG

3asdf.png.jpg

1asdf.jpg

hanging out with each other:

pd2.jpg

pd3.jpg

kimcoleequ0.jpg

yen.jpg

pd4.jpg

pd8.jpg

pd9.jpg

pd7.jpg

uney8.jpg

pd5.jpg

Nicknames

Gyuri - Gyul Omma, Gyul Leader, Gag Leader, Shik Shin, Gyul, Mirror Princess, Conceited, Gyurilla, LeGyulas, Snake Princess, Gyurida, Gyura, Gyuri Gyuri, Gyuri Omma

Seungyeon - Ham, Choding, Gollum (she always imitate "My Precious")

Sunghee - Sungja (Saint), Sungbok (her self made guy's name)

Nicole - Yongjoo (she doesnt know her Korean Name, so Sunghee made one for her.lol)

Antis:

Now, you probably know that all of them have their own Cyworld account. This is the only direct way for them to interact with fans. Most of them put their cyworld on public welcoming fans..as well as antis.

Gyuri:

Gyuri posted a Gyul-Depp picture of herself. She said she dressed herself up as a boy for their school play.

Gyul Depp : (:D)

gyulopparo9.jpg

An anti took that picture, vandalized it and posted it on Gyul's Cyworld. Of course, Gyuri deleted it as soon as she finds out. She also replied to the anti.

Gyul: Anti?

Anti : Yes.

Gyul: Please don't be an anti, it's sad to see an anti, so please don't be.

She created jokes to ease the tension and also to cover the anti up so that he/she wont received any bashings from Kamilia.

Seungyeon:

During their hiatus, Seungyeon accepted at least 500 il-cheon(friends) Invitations from fans on her cyworlds. Somehow, antis got in too and start spamming her cyworld. To solved that, Seungyeon removed all of them including fans off her friends list. This angered some of them and they "scolded" Seungyeon. She, in return, posted a post explaining why she did that - basically, standing up for herself.

Seungyeon took up SSGB on Late June 2007. A few weeks after she took that up, a sore anti posted a message on KARA's official site saying that SSGB's rating went down because of Seungyeon... :D of course, they took down that message asap.

Sunghee:

This happened when KARA had their 2008 Comeback. An anti posted hurtful comment on Sunghee's Cyworld. It seemed like that anti was an ex-fan of KARA and was sore about the new Kara. He/She was kinda blaming Sunghee for leaving and causing KARA to go for this new concept. He/She must have really angered Sunghee cause Sunghee reply to that anti by referring to him/her that he/she is a dog. Yes, it was pretty harsh..coming from Sunghee, but i kinda understand why Sunghee said that. Kamilia backed Sunghee up by saying, "Why are you dirtying someone's house (referring to Sunghee's Cy)"

Only Nicole's Cy has not been hit by antis. But..seeing how they deal with antis tells us a lot. They (Kara Girls) stand up for themselves, delete those comments themselves and handle it themselves in their own way. :) Nicole among all of them maintains her privacy, and that is a good thing. And if ever she's bashed by antis. We all know that her unnis will protect her. Because there's a new maknae or not, Nicole will be maknae for the 3 of them.

pictures credit: mae <3 and haejin

EDIT BY: Haejin (added more information and Pic)

KARA4 performances

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

love the pics.....

gyul :lol: ^^ lol SH looks well... different in uniform hehe..

odd sung hee has antis(odd they have antis)... well anyway.... i like how they stand up for themselves ....(lol dog ?XD)ahhh skipping school !! xD

ah well..

nicole is kinda my fav maknae of a group 4ever :D xD

though.. i listen 2 snsd and wg more.. their maknae are hmmz.. dunnow^^

i like SY calling kara and (ofcourse) younha often in ssgb..

though i havent seen any ssgb with her in it..... i only know the tiffany's caus there were subs... unlike now...

lol while i was readin i wanted 2 write so many things about it... but after reading the whole thing.. i forgot like everything i wanted 2 say xD

i was wondering.. is CY something like a MySpace ??

^^ yup cyworld is like their version of myspace.. except theirs is cooler with little characters and stuff..

nicole was the maknae but she wasn't the typical maknae :lol:

that's what i like about her, she's still Americanish haha

anne.. you added more info :lol:

^^ yup cyworld is like their version of myspace.. except theirs is cooler with little characters and stuff..

nicole was the maknae but she wasn't the typical maknae :P

that's what i like about her, she's still Americanish haha

anne.. you added more info :wub:

but cyworld.. is it total korean ?? or not...

^^ well i knew of cyworld the korean version but there is an english verison :D..

oh man.. the old KARA pics were so much better.. just quality in general.. DSP prepared so much for their first debut.. i hope they put that much effort in their upcoming albums :D

my favorite outfit and i wished they'd perform were the ones with the hoodies that had KARA in the back of the hood portion.. i love those.. i want one :P

24vpoap.jpg

* the one anne posted.. and this one too..

th_KARA-TheFirstBloooooming6.jpg

th_KARA-TheFirstBloooooming11.jpg

^^ love this one too.. love nicole's lavender beanie :wub:

I think the thing I miss the most from the original KARA is the music. Their new music is really good too, but the hiphop/funk/90's style was soo original and new. None of the other girl groups had songs like theirs. I hope KARA's new mini album will include songs like the ones from their first album :thumbup:

^^ I know, the Music and the voices.. i miss those :thumbup:..

i don't know if they can go back to that though cause.. JiRa aren't really ready for that range and stuff XD

anyways i miss the way they all understood each other and knew what their goal was and this time it seems kinda not clear..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think the thing I miss the most from the original KARA is the music. Their new music is really good too, but the hiphop/funk/90's style was soo original and new. None of the other girl groups had songs like theirs. I hope KARA's new mini album will include songs like the ones from their first album :)

I have to agree with everything that you said! Their songs were very refreshing, yet catchy at the same time. I also liked how they had many opportunities to showcase their talents...whether through their powerful dances or even their live radio sessions (i was just reminiscing over the old clips where they sang My Heart Will Go On, Come On Over, and Already One Year. They really proved that they can sing and harmonize well....and I also miss Sunghee's voice! =(

I hope that the new Kara will be given the same opportunities to really shine and remind everyone how talented they really are!

And thanks anne for posting this! I followed them back when they first debut, but didn't know a lot of the random facts that you posted about them! :(

^^ yes they definitely aren't push overs lol. that's why i find it so funny when other people attack KARA, it's like really.. i don't think they would know what to do if they actually come face to face with KARA :D..

i think it's sad to see how many people don't take the time to learn about the original KARA b/c this "new" KARA has so much of them in there.. of course because gyuri, seungyeon, and nicole but the way this group works and to see how close they already are really contributes to the original members :w00t:

• Like 1

i think its partly why Kamilians are laid back in general, because they know the girls will stand up for themselves and doesn't need any "protection".

though, sometimes i wish they are a little bit aggressive. :D it's because they are too laid back and calm that other fan clubs always tried to create some sort hostility with them.

• 4 weeks later...