• Announcements

• r0naLd222

Looking for GFX Peepz!   10/18/2016

Karaholic needs GFX (Graphic Artists). If you are interested, please message me or @flamestalker , @Yongery or @Lupang
    • flamestalker

[NEW] Member Solo Activities Subforums!   03/11/2017

Hey Karaholic! Since all of the members are now with different agencies, we thought it'd be appropriate to create new subforums so members can stay in touch with their activities. Please try to post here from now on with future updates and events.  Here are the new subforums we've created:
      Park Gyuri: http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?/forum/158-park-gyuri-solo-activities-motion-media/
      Han Seungyeon: http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?/forum/159-han-seungyeon-solo-activities-jwide/
      Goo Hara: http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?/forum/157-goo-hara-solo-activities-keyeast/
      Jung Nicole: http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?/forum/160-jung-nicole-solo-activities-b2m/
      Kang Jiyoung: http://www.karaholic.com/forums/index.php?/forum/161-kang-jiyoung-solo-activities-sweetpower/ For Youngji, we've opted to leave the forum as is as she is still with DSP Media.  Thanks for your attention, hope you continue to drop by and visit.. new members and old! 

-KH Staff
mae

[Nicori] Popular Misconceptions about Nicole

180 posts in this topic

So I've noticed that there seem to be some misunderstanding when it comes to Nicole. I believe I have a good idea about Nicole and so let's clear some things up for the newbie fans or fans who are aware. These are the two biggest misconceptions I have come across.

1. Nicole is a complete ditz.

2. She isn't fluent in English because she has a slight accent or slurs her words.

1. Hmm, before Nicole was well known she was the awkward maknae. Her unni's would take care of her and for the most part she didn't talk much (I know right?.. Nicole being quiet? lol) She was really sweet and wrote really nice entries telling fans to keep warm since winter was coming and how she was going to knit again. Then came SGB, she was able to show this dorky, 4-D side to everyone and everyone loved it for the most part. She was cute and really friendly. Though some thought that some of her mannerisms and the way she talked, she was ditzy and was some unaware Korean American. But that is obviously not the truth, you can't judge her whole personality on one segment of one show lol.

2. I see this quite often, people often say how she's not fluent in English b/c she has a accent. First, Nicole is a nervous and hyper person. I say when she's calm and isn't rushed she speaks English perfectly fine. Her interview on Star English, she wasn't calm and was nervous hence her English was all over the place. We really haven't had a proper clip of her just being calm and speaking in English.

Nicole, English & Korean version:

credit: nikori@youtube.

So your thoughts? or other misconceptions of Nicole you or others might have..

I think that she might come off as a complete ditz at times, but everyone slips and falters a lot. But if you're in the spotlight as much as she is, you'll often get pointed at.

As for the English, I see no issues with her English. On variety shows, she's fine and she sings well in English too. Her line when Kara did "We Wish You a Merry XMas" was definitely fluent enough for me.

3. Another would be that she is just the Rapper of Kara...

Though this may have been the case during Kara4 days because it was her official assigned role (but she was like Kim EZ of Baby Vox... both rapped and sang anyways)

She is indeed a vocalist...a lead one at that... I think the music speaks for itself now, but I've noticed some people still get confused. Plus DSP seems to have dropped the official role assignments altogether (aside from the leader-maknae roles), the members can do a little bit of everything

her english is good and having grown up in america i'm pretty sure she's fluent. the fact that she has an accent doesn't really mean much and probably has to do with her speaking korean more

Her english isn't fluent?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDOhdE-gNWQ

Okay if you're gonna compare to the standard American (or some people like to compare it to the British for that matter), obviously she is far off from that.

After all you can't blame her for that, even if its her mother tongue.

She left the US in her early years (what I mean is the age where most kids would start to really use words and form their own unique way of talking) and then arrive in Korea. Even if she has a Korean background, it wasn't really a strong one... its like a distant language of hers, eventhough she knows it. In other words, she needs to start over from square 1 again but this time with Korean.

Can you blame her because she won't have as much of an english language usage anymore?

She's just been speaking english for perhaps a little more than 12 years maybe.... and that is the stage where you don't want to stop using your mother tongue.

I know that because I'm a chinese but my original mother tongue is Hokkien', a chinese dialect (Taiwan, SG and MY people will know what I'm talking about). I use it from an age of 5 to 7 when I was living with my grandparents, just 2 years and I was pretty fluent in it. But when it was time I started school, I stopped using it almost entirely.

And today, 13 years later... I can barely speak the Hokkien' language anymore but only understanding it.

So Nicole is in a rather similar situation here.... and I don't blame her for it.

It does not automatically mean that if you're an American, you have to speak good english.

I'm an Asian, a Malaysian infact... and I speak good enough english for the most part, but I'm no American am I?

I don't find it any problem that Nicole has a accent that seems to grow stronger/thicker by the year. She herself said she was born and raised in the US until 12/13 when she left to train didn't she? I live in New York and was born and raised here. When I was 12/13 I knew fluent English and I'm pretty Nicole did as well when she left. The appearance that her English seems to deteriorate doesn't make it a fact that it sucks. I spoke only Korean for the first five years of my life and had to painfully learn English when I attended school. After that my Korean was gone and I could only speak a little to communicate with my parents and understand about 5%. I picked it up on my own last year and I have always had a thick accent because of the first five years and it's grown even thicker because of my constant use of Korean. Not to mention that when I picked it up again I actually couldn't remember some of the easiest English words like 'fawn' or 'deer'. Since Nicole chose to become a Korean Celebrity, she is in an environment where she constantly has to use Korean. Is it her fault that she may not be as fleunt as she's "supposed" to be? People expect her to know the English of a normal 18 year old when she went to Korea barely a teenager. I think the fact that she can read Harry Potter in English, write coherent and gramatically correct English raps and speak with no Engrish should be proof enough that she is fleunt in English. Right? :D

@ambience&echoes

I whole heartedly agree on what you say.

It just irritates mean mean when people start to say things beyond the usual "Nicole isn't fluent in English", downright saying that her english is BAD or even worse, sucks.

And these are the same people who can't even talk or write/type proper english.

The irony speaks for itself.

I actually wouldn't mind. I like girls who are like that. I find it cute.

Its a matter of perspectives. As they say Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder.

I know, antis just try to find flaws...well, and seriously, she is born in America, raised there, and before coming to Korea, she wasn't fluent in Korean...well, then what language she speaks then if not ENGLISH...I like her English, she does not speak as clear and fluent as before b/c it has been long time she doesn't use it, doenst mean she is not fluent.

Shes definitely using english less and less these days, her Korean has improved a whole lot ever since she got on SGB and had her own segment of the show (its just too damn bad they had to take it out!!).

Any other misconceptions?

I dont think her English is that bad, just like what everyone says I think she is just too nervous when she tries. I think her english is pretty good. For her being ditzy, I dont see it that much.

i cant really say nicole is a complete ditz,

she's more of an idol that doesn't fully grasp the

proper mannerisms on air and whatnot xD

either way, she's still loveable whether or not you believe her to be ditzy.

5. Nicole isn't really good at dancing, it's just for show.

A lot of people expected her to be some prodigy from the comments I've seen.. Nicole's only ever said she loved to dance, she never attended a dance school like Hara or SeungYeon so her techniques are different. But I've heard KARA's choreographers praising her for her skills. I think there is reason why DSP didn't make her go to dance school, they thought she was already good on her own. People also said she didn't show much skill for that infamous Inkigayo Dance "battle" but I'd like to point out she was very busy during that week with her own schedule AND with KARA's.. that week KARA also had 2 other special perfs. I think people get confused with technique and style.. I think Nicole's more of a charisma driven dancer... thinking about the whole picture, the whole performance from what she has showed at least. Hopefully, the upcoming dance battle for the SBS Gayos, she is able to show what she can really do, I know others' opinions shouldn't matter but I believe Nicole really loves dancing... it's not just something she does to be cute or sexy.

When she speaks english, it sounds cute.

I think she does that :)

Yeah Nicole has this cute slurring thing that I ♥

Nicole's english is fine...

i have no problem listening to Nicole's english..

maybe its jus the accent tat makes some people uncomfortable or so..

other than tat, its sounds fine n good..

her dancing is good as well..

she puts in lots of effort for every performance..

Nicole fighting!!!

Edited by dumbell

5. Nicole isn't really good at dancing, it's just for show.

A lot of people expected her to be some prodigy from the comments I've seen.. Nicole's only ever said she loved to dance, she never attended a dance school like Hara or SeungYeon so her techniques are different. But I've heard KARA's choreographers praising her for her skills. I think there is reason why DSP didn't make her go to dance school, they thought she was already good on her own. People also said she didn't show much skill for that infamous Inkigayo Dance "battle" but I'd like to point out she was very busy during that week with her own schedule AND with KARA's.. that week KARA also had 2 other special perfs. I think people get confused with technique and style.. I think Nicole's more of a charisma driven dancer... thinking about the whole picture, the whole performance from what she has showed at least. Hopefully, the upcoming dance battle for the SBS Gayos, she is able to show what she can really do, I know others' opinions shouldn't matter but I believe Nicole really loves dancing... it's not just something she does to be cute or sexy.

I noticed that too.

The instructor said something similar to that too during the first episode in Nicole goes to College (where she was trying out for different colleges).

Indeed, when she was showing off her moves.... it is evident that she lack moves, often repeating one another with a slightly modified position.

But I guess it is also why she is loved by many for her dancing though.

Because if not, the butt-dance wouldn't have been this popular today.

I have never had any problem with her English. How could she be not fluent in English while she was born and rised in The US ? But I know Nicole gets nervous easily and It can explain why her English doesn't sound perfect. I think people (or antis) are just trying something to blame about her.

About her dancing skill, I find she is a really good dancer who likes dancing and that is the most important. I agree that she may lacks of dance tachnique since she has not attended a dance school but to me It only means that if she was able to attend one so she would be even better now.

i watched a video and my opinion is she's only comfortable to talk when she's talking to her friends, when she's on-screen she seems pretty nervous talking at times

As far as I've known abt Nicole, I think she speaks English fluently, more fluently compared to other Korean celebrities and even Koreans.

Besides, I think she's gud @ dancing as well as Hara.

I think she's just as fluent as Tiffany when it comes to speaking in english...

she grew up in America so there's no way that she's not that fluent..

and also just like others have said, she just speaks really fast

and she's nervous that somehow other misundestood her...

About her dancing skill, i believe that she's one of the main dancers in Kara

She's as good as Hara...

truthfully, i was one of those people who thought nicole was a ditch (don't kill me) >___<

but then, that was when i wasn't a huge kara fan...

but now, i can totally understand where you guys are coming from.

she's just super cute & i also feel like.. that show is scripted to a certain point. they would NEED someone to be funny & hyper, no?

and she matched it perfectly.

truthfully, i was one of those people who thought nicole was a ditch (don't kill me) >___<

but then, that was when i wasn't a huge kara fan...

but now, i can totally understand where you guys are coming from.

she's just super cute & i also feel like.. that show is scripted to a certain point. they would NEED someone to be funny & hyper, no?

and she matched it perfectly.

lol far from it.. you'll see why she is so likable the more you learn about her.. :)

i think nicole's english is perfectly fine. She speaks better than other entertainers who claimed

they are from the states..