[Hamtastic] Popular Misconceptions About Seungyeon

chopsuey

So I stole this idea from mae (Nicole's misconceptions thread here) because I believe it's a wonderful way for new and old fans to come together and get to know the members a little better... so let's dispel these popular misconceptions together shall we?

1. Seungyeon is rude. (A lot of people got this idea from various kpop news sites, but they are entirely untrue)

- Various articles (by international fans) popped up bashing Seungyeon for various actions such as being an attention seeker and having no manners. These are far from the truth and yet these rumours were powerful enough to shape the minds of new kpop listeners - giving them a negative view of Seungyeon without even getting to know her better.

In Korea, none of these issues ever blew up to a point of making the news (and they tend to report on the littlest of things) Also, some international fans can misconstrue her actions (similarly to Gyuri's Goddess concept) and make harsh judgement without understanding.

2. Seungyeon graduated high school in the states.

- Perhaps a lesser known issue, Seungyeon did not actually graduate from Tenafly High School. She revealed in an interview that she left after 1-2 years and completed the rest of her schooling in Korea - this is by no means doubting her intelligence, but rather clarifying the fact she had to move back to Korea to start her training and was unable to complete her schooling in America.

3. Seungyeon is the Leader or Maknae of Kara

- Still a pretty popular misconception but she is indeed the 2nd oldest and FAKE maknae of Kara (as she has stated herself). This one started because Seungyeon was guesting on a lot of shows when Kara was not as popular, so a lot of people jsut assumed she was in charge of the group too. (Thanks anne!)

4. Seungyeon is always super cute and bubbly.

- This may be the case on air or in photoshoots [at times], but she is actually quite different on her own time. She has stated that she acts differently on camera compared to real life, but she is slowly becoming this brighter person we see on air off as well. But yes, if you watch past videos or BTS/self cam ones, you can see she keeps to herself or is more calm. (Thanks Anne and in-in :eyelove:)

• Like 2

1. Seungyeon is rude. (A lot of people got this idea from various kpop news sites, but they are entirely untrue)

- Various articles (by international fans) popped up bashing Seungyeon for various actions such as being an attention seeker and having no manners. These are far from the truth and yet these rumours were powerful enough to shape the minds of new kpop listeners - giving them a negative view of Seungyeon without even getting to know her better.

In Korea, none of these issues ever blew up to a point of making the news (and they tend to report on the littlest of things) Also, some international fans can misconstrue her actions (similarly to Gyuri's Goddess concept) and make harsh judgement without understanding.

SY is a FOX!

I remember reading stuff on allkpop about how rude seungyeon was and i felt bad b/c she's my fav. member. I hated it b/c they didn't even know her personally and she didn't even seem rude actually. I think a lot of people are quick to judge idols b/c they are constantly seen in the public eye. I am glad more international fans are getting to know her better.

I feel the same ways, everytime reading the article about how rude seung yeon, i kinda felt a bet depressed.

seung yeon will always be my favorite number. i think most people are seeing article and quickly to believe that it the truth about a person.

This was the vid that started everything isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJXMT7vL8s

There has been alot of debate over this and I don't wish to dig it up.

But since this is a misconception thread....

I admit, the first time I saw Seungyeon.... I didn't like her, I thought why is she even in KARA at one point!

I'm a pretty late kamilia, only started since last month but I've seen Mister and Wanna almost since they debuted Revolution.

When I start to watch more of the older videos that the girls did, I just saw what a sweet girl Seungyeon is.

Is she rude? No.

Perhaps she doesn't have the politeness of Gyuri or Nicole, but that doesn't say anything that she is rude at all.

People just don't know her and it is sad to say but she is one of those people where you really need to know before starting to judge on her attitude.

With that said, she's my favourite member now.

^I would say that SY is just as respectful and polite as any other members, lol.

Seriously, the whole rumor that SY is rude is one of the most RIDICULOUS one I've come across on the net. I mean, it's basically started by one person, and all the other people who don't even know SY just blindly followed suit like a bunch of mole rats (no offence to mole rats, they're kind of cute). I'm glad that this whole thing is died down now, but really, people need to see SY and how sweet and hardworking she is. Sure, she has flaws, but doesn't everyone?

Yup another misconception is that SY is really bubbly and hyper all the time. Seungyeon is pretty quiet and reserved, haha.

Thanks for starting this thread wonsue!

SY is awesome yo~

1258807471_.gif

Indeed, it is really professional of her that she can put up an image that isn't usually her on screen.

If people just don't know how sweet of a girl Seungyeon is.... then just go watch her segment on The Teacher is Coming (filmed on the same day they won Inkigayo for Wanna).

She's real.

She's not faking anything when it comes to her trueself.

Most importantly, she is not rude at all.

Yes...I really never thought of her as rude. I just thought she was so hard-working, not 'cause she wanted to be on T.V. I mean, people who see the article about SeungYeon crying when she saw Kara's old days just plainly tells that she really works hard to get Kara known.

It's kinda normal for haters and people who are unfamiliar to Kara to judge... =/

This is just like the article for Nicole saying that it 'implied' Nicole drinking alcohol. Also, for her not hurrying to school when she was already late.

And yes, she's actually very quiet. I think during the Wanna and Mister promotions, she's actually matured and turned into someone new -reference from Nicole's thank you's in the Revolution album- I hope fans and even non-fans can see who the sweet SeungYeon truly is. :D

^ ah i never get to see that video before.. but isnt it because ham makes a mistake? She should be in there but dont have space right??

Im a big SeungYeon fans, but after seeing her more and more I find what SSJBen said is a little bit true.. Im not saying that she's rude (She's NOT RUDE) but when I saw how she kinda don't like the "goddess concept" in SangSang+.. The way she talk about it is not, you know (harsh?)...ahaha or maybe im just reading the translation and feel that way xD

PS: I felt that she kind of jealous of Gyul's confidence =P

I did see SangSang and I think Seungyeon said those b/c she's very close to Gyuri and I know it could come off as being harsh but on SGB when no one picked Gyuri as their idol she raised her hand in her defense saying she's attracted to Gyuri but I get the feeling Seungyeon admires Gyuri for her confidence too b/c I can tell Seungyeon is sensitive.

I remember a psych test on the girls and the doctor says Seungyeon is a perfectionist and really cares about others opinions which I think is true b/c she always tries really hard and she really wanted people to love Kara but not pity Kara. No one is perfect but I hope people don't judge the Kara members just by articles or clips they see b/c even idols have their good days and bad days.

For ex. there was another misconception about Nicole...I mean come on in college who hasn't skipped class before???

• Like 1

:wub: I always hoped for this topic to come^^I feel sad when people judge Ham as someone rude & insensitive.If you see allkpop or other Kpop sites,people still hold grudges at Ham and I know it's just an accident!a small mistake!!Nothing!zero!!and people always said something like "I hate her..I can't forgive what she did to Nicole"..I mean,Let It Go!!It hurts me how they just claim something that is not real..and they're just too stupid & delusional to think that an idol is someone who is perfect when nobody is perfect...Honestly,I feel that I'm able to relate more with Ham & KARA because they do mistakes just like us..and because I'm an old fan & liked Ham from the beginning..She's so much diffrent than what most people think..and because of this,I love her more & more each day^^Thank you for starting this topic,Really appreciate it! :wub: Edited by Hyewoo

I agree with In-In. SY's not rude; she's just as polite as the other members.

She's just frank. She's frank, she's outgoing, and she's brave. On shows she guts a fish (while smiling), picks up a mouse (still smiling), and she's always into trying new things.

I think most of the "she's rude" misconception comes from international fans that rely heavily on biased articles and literal translations. -coughallkpopcough- (but they deleted those articles so I really shouldn't be complaining hahaha). SY= rude was never a topic in korea, was it?

And I agree with Hyewoo. People are so quick to hate because of one clip, but what about those hundreds of other clips where SY showed what she was really like? No one can judge someone based on 2 seconds of a performance video -___-;;

This was the vid that started everything isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJXMT7vL8s

There has been alot of debate over this and I don't wish to dig it up.

But since this is a misconception thread....

I admit, the first time I saw Seungyeon.... I didn't like her, I thought why is she even in KARA at one point!

I'm a pretty late kamilia, only started since last month but I've seen Mister and Wanna almost since they debuted Revolution.

When I start to watch more of the older videos that the girls did, I just saw what a sweet girl Seungyeon is.

Is she rude? No.

Perhaps she doesn't have the politeness of Gyuri or Nicole, but that doesn't say anything that she is rude at all.

People just don't know her and it is sad to say but she is one of those people where you really need to know before starting to judge on her attitude.

With that said, she's my favourite member now.

It just looks like SY made a mistake, and then had to get back to her right spot so she held Nicole to get infront of her which was her right spot.

Yes it was a mistake.

Although I know that she shouldn't have done that in the first place really. She didn't really PUSH Nicole out of the way like you said, just moving her so she can get in properly.

However the mistake starts before that even, she was in Nicole's position before even lining up (you can see the glare at Gyuri's face).

I'm not bashing Seungyeon at all but I'm just pointing her mistake.

But what people needs to understand is that, it should NOT be because of just 1 little "push"... netizens should start bashing her and spread bad things about her like wild flames.

I've seen alot worst from other groups (not nessasary in Korea only), but netizens don't bash them.

Talk about being bias.

yup, that;s true, I was used to think of her that way too....really, before I get to know Kara, I knew her as not so nice girl, and I thought that was true, but I am glad that I watched enough of their shows to understand that she is totally nice girl.

some really good points have been brought up, awesome :tongue:

and i completely agree, sy's sarcasm is hard to catch for non-fans and can easily be misinterpreted as something rude or offensive

also her fake annoyed look can give the wrong vibe as well (which is weird because i can think of two other female idols off the top of my head that get a free pass to act like this - talk about unfair -.-)

Remember in Zoo Zoo Club?

End of the first episode when Seungyeon freaked out and lashed out mainly on Hara when they took Kangee out without her knowing (okay I know the entire show is scripted... but stay with me here)?

That angry look that she put on her face... I think that's what it really looks like when she's really, angry.

Superb acting there.