Will Kara follow others and debut overseas?

Eddie Z

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the United States and a big KARA fan. I pray that they stay within Korea for one more year. Their popularity has just started to grow already. If their record company takes them overseas their hardcore fans in Korea will begin to lose interest the less they appear on their shows. I would prefer if they did concerts in Japan, China, Taiwan, Australia to build up their popularity and then move on to the United States. I don't want KARA to be the WG whose fans are wondering when, they would ever come back.

They're still sort of underrated in Korea now, but I think that if they wanted to debut overseas, they'd make it pretty big in Japan and China. They've got that whole 'cute/hot' image going on that's really popular right now.

In the US though... even if they were all fluent in English, probably not. Seeing BoA and the Wonder Girls both fail has really crushed my hopes that any Asian singers will do well in the American industry. -.-;;

I'd rather they stay in Korea.

I don't think their image would work in the US sadly. I would still listen to them, but the US market is just so different compared to Korean market imo.

Japan might be interesting, I already like the Japanese language and I can imagine them sounding good. Though who knows.

I think I heard Seung-yeon mentioning somewhere that they are planning to go overseas. From my recollection, she said Japan and(?) China. Don't quote me on that though.

I would so love it if they come to the states, but that might require releasing a few more chart hits in Korea. I have a feeling that it's very possible in the near future.

I think they must focus in Korea first before going to other country..Get more fans and popularity then they can go overseas..

But i think DSP must have more trust on Kara first, want to spend money for promoting Kara more and more..Like make more Kara's MV or something..But it just my opinion..:tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

They are currently popular in China,Japan & Thailand so their chance to debut there is quite hopeful but US..Hmm..even if they're good at English or, let's imagine one of their songs are a hit both in Korea & US, It's still very doubtful to let them debut in US cause Americans(I think)wants singers write their own songs..so far KARA haven't participate any songwriting(although Gyul mentioned about it & wanted to try one someday).Plus,KARA has a cute concept & I don't think this kind of concept appeal much to people in US unlike people in Korea,Japan,Thailand....So I'm not confident for them to debut in US

Kara is getting more popular but I hope they stay at Korea for at least another year before debuting overseas. They are getting more popular now so I would like them to stabilize there fanbase in Korea first and I think they have a great chance to succeed i Japan. I think many Japanese people like them b/c everyone in the group is cute/pretty and a lot of their songs suit the japanese taste :D Sadly probably not US. US is a very difficult place for minorities to make it big. I hope Kara focus on Korea and Asia first. I hope DSP will continue to believe in the girls and give them more promotions and hopefully for their next album they will be able to release two music videos :D

Depends where.

KARA is certainly doing really well in Japan now and I would love to see them over there too.

Other parts of Asia like Hong Kong (another area where there are alot of people crazy over Kpop artists) is also another good place.

But otherwise, just stay in Asia.

Debuting in US isn't a wise choice even if its big there, just that the culture difference could actually change them for the worst infact. Even if Nicole is from there that is....

For now, they just need to set themselves in stone at Korea first.

After that head for Japan and then see how it goes then.

Whether they will or whether they should are two very different things. Wonder Girls have already shown that it can work out great when you do try and break into another country but it doesn't always work out so well. In truth I think the retro look of WG really helped them break into the market since that's really popular in the West at the moment but KARA don't really have a set image like that.

The music that KARA make is also much more pop orientated than WG music is even though they do still have R&B mixed in there. There biggest chance to break in would be now mroe than ever though if it was ever going to work as they have an electronic edge to them and it's pretty obvious to see that that is the latest big trend in the music scene.

Hearing the Black Eyed Peas talk about Rain and how they think he oculd break intothe Western market could have given him a push but he simpoly chose not to take the opportunity; if KARA could get a similar celebitry endorsement and get themselves on a similar tour that WG managed to do then they'd have a far better chance than doing it themselves.

Personally I don't think they'd find too much success as there pop sound isn't too popular in the West at the moment but I'd certainly like to see them in the charts here.

• 2 weeks later...
agree with mastermind. before they branch out they need to get a footing in korea first :] would be great to see them overseas but really for a korean group its hard. the ones that are trying now will have a tough time even with all their experience.

yea i agree, it wouldn't be easy to break into a foreign market because of the language barrier. However i think it would be a great to see them expanding their fan base internationally too.

I just watched the Arashi show where Gekidan talked about Kara. It was pretty funny. He talked about how he got into Kara, and why, and then how he started to buy all their cds, and had to buy them from internet auctions for crazy prices. Then, how he wanted to know more and more about them, but all the sites are in Hangul, so he bought some translating software in order to learn more about them (I wonder if he came to this board?). They asked him which member was his favorite, and he said that he has a favorite, but he will never tell because he doesn't want to hurt the other girls. Even if there was a fan meeting where he could shake one of the girls' hands, he wouldn't shake any of their hands. haha. He was the publicist for them. Then they gave a short message to him. At least some people know about them, now.

I'd rather see them go to USA than Japan

^Why?? I live in US.. I want them to come but dont want them to debut here..

As like others have mentioned its very hard to debut in US.. the style is just too differnt in here.. I don't want to see Kara becoming like BoA.. I love BoA so much she is the first korean artist i know! but urrrhh her song in the US is (you can fill this in yourself)