[2010.03.18] Kara "Idols are not rivals, but companions who share the same dream."

Harue

2010031809265522003.jpg

# Our own 'black'

When you think of Kara, you think of cuteness and liveliness. But little by little they've matured and this time, they changed into a whole new dark concept with 'Lupin'.

Leader Park Gyuri said "I was really worried about this change, but I'm relieved that it was well accepted. When I hear people saying that we got more mature, I feel that we already accomplished half of what we wanted".

To match the concept, there was also a big change of style. Han Seungyeon cut her hair to above shoulder level for the first time since her debut. Nicole as well, changed to a short haircut with a chic smokey make-up and because of that, she is hearing the word "handsome" quite often lately. While giving her typical cute smile, the youngest member Kang Jiyoung said that: "This time, I won't laugh when performing" is what she tries to keep in mind for this concept.

Kara and Girls Generation, who are receiving a huge amount of support from male fans especially, attracted a lot of interest for using 'black' as a main point of their concept. Girls Generation are currently promoting their 'Black Soshi' concept. When asked to explain the difference between Girls Generation and Kara's 'black', Kara answered: "Girls Generation have black as the foundation of their new song's concept, while we have black for having 'Lupin' as the foundation". They continued: "If neither our choreography, song and album jacket was related to the concept 'Lupin', it would be just a common dark concept, so we thought a lot about that".

# Looking broadly

We are in an era where girl groups are at their height, because of that, there are times that we wonder which groups might be rivals to each other. When asked the question "Who do you think is your strongest competitor?", Han Seungyeon gave a clear answer.

Han Seungyeon said: "You can think of a school. Just like students inside a classroom study hard together, I think it's the same thing with singers. When idols within a similar age-range gather together, the goal is not really surpassing each other. Since each one of them has a different color, it's more about doing their best to show their own color".

To this, Park Gyuri added: "Probably everyone, including us, thinks about showing how much they grew and showing a better performance than before. They say you have to pass over the difficult wall, but if you really do pass over the wall, I think it's true that your growth can slow down and eventually, there will be nowhere left to go but down. So we don't want to think that way, we want to run while looking broadly".

Even when her lack of sleep was apparent on her tired face, Park Gyuri said: "There is something I've been saying since the beginning, that we want to show ourselves growing. I'm happy because that seems to be coming true and feels like we are advancing stages, step by step", she said with sparkling eyes.

Nicole said: "There are times that our schedule is so packed that we can't even eat, but that's just proof that we are doing well, so knowing that gives me strength". Kang Jiyoung said: "Having to study for school at the same time (as my singer activities) worries me, but I want to do well in both", showing her strong will.

Everything is really tiring but it's by looking at the fans that they get energy. Han Seungyeon said: "When I see the fans support, it gives me a lot of strength. On our debut day, one fan came to see us and little by little it raised to 100 people, 200 people, and the number of fans kept increasing like that. This time on our comeback performance, quite a lot of fans came to support us so I'm really grateful for that".

Kara recently had a showcase in Japan and they acquired confidence about their activities in Japan as well. So this year, they won't have only 'Lupin' activities, but also, lively overseas activities. With that, we hope they can keep showing Kara's growth, which is their goal. When asked whether they had confidence in themselves, they just gave a bright smile. So let's all look forward to see what color their tomorrow will be.

Source: OSEN

Translated by Harue@KARAHolic.com

Do not touch the credit line or translations when taking out!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the translation, I love the in-depth interview they've been having lately. Gives more insight on how the girls are. I love how they said they want to be known as the group that shows growth and that's true, they keep growing and getting better. And of course what I love most about their interview is their humbleness even after all the popularity they are having now, their feet stays on the ground and grateful on what they have now.

From what Gyuri has just said, it seems that she is really a good leader.

I hope to see Kara with those words again. With those ''growth'', ''strength'' and ''fans''-words, which makes us love Kara even more!

Maybe it's this thing that's why I became a fan of Kara....

With their words and actions going along with their personalities.

---

No Hara? XD

Kara jjang, hwaiting!~

Thanks for the translation Harue, i always loved this kind of interview coz it give us at least a glimpse of what are they really felt right now, rather than those articles in A**kpop or Kb*tes coz they tend to start a stupid fanwar, you guys should send this article to those site...

hi, thanks a lot for translating into this which brings a fabulous start to the day.

all recent interviews revealed those deep thoughts they had, all wanting to move forward with maturity.

each to have her own distinct personality.

they have slowly grown from idols to be artists.

hope their talents & efforts will not go unnoticed.

to those comments,

"doing their best to show their own color",

"showing a better performance than before",

"times that our schedule is so packed.. proof that we are doing well, so knowing that gives me strength" &

"I want to do well in both"

my humble advice is to keep what you have been doing & you will be there.

the road ahead is broad & far, as mentioned by gyul.

can't wait for the japan debut in june/july though.

heheh..thanks for translating and sharing xDD

they really did grew more mature..

From the way they talk..giving out their opinions...

Han Seungyeon said: "You can think of a school. Just like students inside a classroom study hard together, I think it's the same thing with singers. When idols within a similar age-range gather together, the goal is not really surpassing each other. Since each one of them has a different color, it's more about doing their best to show their own color".

What Seung Yeon said..touched me..

thats like..the most beastiful thing i ever heard xDD

this article is so amazing<3 idek why, but the whole article just set an inspirational & hopeful and sort of

whimsical tone for me. or maybe i'm just super emotional o______e LOOOOOL but it's just that when they

mentioned "change" ; i couldn't help but think back to the days from when they debuted, to when they got

hara & jing and to now. they've just changed so much, in a good way <3
Han Seungyeon said: "You can think of a school. Just like students inside a classroom study hard together, I think it's the same thing with singers. When idols within a similar age-range gather together, the goal is not really surpassing each other.
Since each one of them has a different color, it's more about doing their best to show their own color
".

i love how ham described it <3 i totally agree with the "different colors" part & i just totally understand where

she's coming from there. i think all groups DO have different "colors" and it's not about competition or who has

the better color, but more of all of them working hard to show their own colors<3

To this, Park Gyuri added: "Probably everyone, including us, thinks about showing how much they grew and showing a better performance than before. They say you have to pass over the difficult wall, but if you really do pass over the wall, I think it's true that your growth can slow down and eventually, there will be nowhere left to go but down. So we don't want to think that way, we want to run while looking broadly".

I've always said this when KARA doesn't get all the awards etc. It's not about getting everything you want all the time. I'm glad to hear that is just how they want to be perceived. They will have more things to be happy about in the future, there is no need to rush :D

SeungYeon's description is really good. Notice they never get caught up being idols and being successful at that, they are still realistic about their lives. These types of interviews explains why Kamilia is dedicated to KARA no matter what.

thanks.

I really like these sort of interviews, thanks so much for translating

It's nice to see how grounded our girls still are, plus they really know how to do interviews.

I liked Seungyeons explanation with the whole school setting and Gyuri's answer as well... the wise unnies of Kara :D

whoa, that's a long translation you did there Harue, really really awesome job :D

that interview is really nice, shows how all Kara members believe and think.

Weird how Goo Hara was not mentioned talk ?f the interview, and Nicole didn't even talk ? But nevertheless this is a really good interview.

"Girls Generation have black as the foundation of their new song's concept, while we have black for having 'Lupin' as the foundation"

I totally agree with that, Kara's concept isn't "black," it's "lupin," a thief stealing spotlight, while SNSD's concept is "black," so they are different (not sure the total point of SNSD's black concept is though, yeah I'm a bit biased :P)