[2010.08.11] Japanese Debut Single [Mister]

yuda

J-Pop Idol Facts #2

Johnny & Associates/Johnny's Jimusho

How long do you think J&A has been around dominating J-Pop music industries?

It quiet surprised me when I known that their first boy idol group is formed at 1962 and called "Johnny's". The founder, Johnny Kitagawa was once a baseball coach, scouted members to become teammates on the team, eventually it becomes the first idol group in Japan.

Since then, they keep producing popular boys idol group, which some still exist and dominating until now, not only in music, but also dramas and TV variety shows.

* 1962: Johnny's

* 1967: Four Leaves

* 1973: Go Hiromi (solo)

* 1980: Tahara Toshihiko (solo)

* 1980: Kondo Masahiko (solo)

* 1981: Shibugakitai

* 1983: THE GOOD-BYE

* 1985: Shōnentai

* 1987: Hikaru GENJI

* 1987: OTOKOGUMI

* 1990: Ninja

* 1991: SMAP

* 1994: TOKIO

* 1995: V6

* 1997: KinKi Kids

* 1999: Arashi

* 2002: Tackey & Tsubasa

* 2003: NEWS

* 2004: Kanjani8

* 2006: KAT-TUN

* 2006: Tegomass

* 2007: Hey! Say! JUMP

* 2009: Nakayama Yuma w/ B.I.Shadow

Arashi is the highest selling idol group right now, followed by KAT-TUN and News.

It's also amazing to know that SMAP have been together for almost 20 years and still active, what an amazing agency -_-

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! thanks eyeless for all this information (: i think now kamilia can be ready when Kara takes on Japan. Johnny's Entertainment sounds like a really good company, their idol groups seem to be all so successful! But, i read about the controversy about Johnny's Entertainment. Kinda hope its not true. :\

wow...I missed two pages....

jjang...you all made this thread alive....

Next week at 5/26 gonna be an interesting day (at least for me) in Oricon Chart

Xiah JUNSU (ex Tohoshinki) will release his first single XIAH, and going head to head with AKB48's Ponytail to Shushu, who's gonna sell more? or let me say who's gonna buy more, fangirls or fanboys?

I would say Xiah Junsu would sell more than AKB48 ...

since DBSK have a strong fangirls in Japan....maybe he can beat AKB48 with the advantage he has...or maybe not... :)

and V6 also under Johnny..??

wow....I should dig more about this....lol

i read about the controversy about Johnny's Entertainment. Kinda hope its not true. :\

What controversy? please share it with us ..

I would say Xiah Junsu would sell more than AKB48 ...

since DBSK have a strong fangirls in Japan....maybe he can beat AKB48 with the advantage he has...or maybe not... :D

So far only I and xichigo think AKB48 will outsell Xiah Junsu, I will update this as soon as the first day result comes up :)

AKB just featured in SMAPxSMAP and Music Lover for early promotion. On SMAPxSMAP they sang some of their song medley together with SMAP and form a new group SMAKB53 = SMAP + AKB48 .

Edited by eyeless

Kindof thought someone would post this up ^-^;; since this is kara debut in japan thread...

[info] 10.05.22. Japan's Masaharu Fukuyama speaks about KARA

"Let's turn this topic to Korea, he knows the Korean Wave has started to release its package*(K-wave began to enter/influence Japan). Korean people are really active in Japan. Uhm, group like DBSK is really very popular. Oh, and lately KARA is awesome."

Fukuyama, in this regard in future, will be like a deer peeking with big round shiny eyes**. Even at a glance, He is already an enthusiastic fan of KARA.

"KARA is really cute. That... that... butt dance... I really like it (burst out laughing). I think it's seriously a nice idea. I even thought of going to Korea just to see the butt dance." (smile)"

Source: http://news.joins.com/article/aid/2010/05/...0.html?cloc=nnc

Translated By: aank1@Karaholic.com

from google[well wikipedia]:

"Masaharu Fukuyama (福山 雅治, Fukuyama Masaharu?, born February 6, 1969) is a Japanese singer-songwriter, guitarist, record producer, actor, radio personality, and photographer from Nagasaki, Nagasaki Prefecture. He is one of the top male artists in Japan. He is a member of entertainment company Amuse, Inc. Fukuyama was well-known for his low, deep voice. Among fans, he is known as Masha, Masha-nii, or Fuku-chan. He debuted in 1990 with single "Tsuioku no Ame on Naka" and still remains active and popular to this date.)"

song writer!!! Maybe he would want to compose Kara's first original Japanese song ;D

Right now his label is Universal Music. Same as Kara right?? ^-^ Maybe he's promoting them?? Hope so :thumbup:

Edited by nerdxissa

^

Masaharu Fukuyama is a very senior musician and an actor in Japan, if he said something good about KARA, then KARA is really that good..

I'm really happy for this, It's like Japan already accepted KARA even before the single is released.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the Japanese Music scene. But why do people automatically assume KARA will ONLY be cute?.. BB didn't change much when they went to Japan. I thought Mister wasn't a bad song to debut with because it's KARA's style as well and the song that made them get noticed much much more in Korea. All these assumptions about this member would be most liked b/c of etc etc or KARA has to be cute b/c that's what the Japanese like.. sounds very in the box to me.. I hope KARA breaks some of those thoughts XD.

my bad, i only know masaharu fukuyama through hitotsu yane no shita tv drama with noriko sakai. didn't know he does music too. wow, so he's from umj, a record producer & song writer too. well hope he can assist in promoting the girls in gaining recognition on their great personalities & songs through some music collaborations. believe me, the girls will be thrilled to work with him too.

most japanese fans got to know kara because of honey. so not surprising, the first imagine kara protraited to them is cuteness or kawaii. believe umj & dsp are keen to change this general perception by using mister as the single debut inorder to introduce the sexy side of kara. if positive, the true characteristic of each girl will be well received distinguishingly.

I agree with red4summer, I think that mister might change some perceptions of kara.

But I think that they are just naturally cute, even when they don't mean it. :sweatdrop:

I think its cool that masaharu fukuyama also acknowledged kara. :D It makes me feel as if kara is on their way!

I wonder how many pages this thread will have by the time Kara debuts in Japan??? xD

Well, Kara being called cute... Well, Japan has only seen a cute side to Kara right now, right? And I think Kara is just naturally cute to Japanese people. I mean they don't do it on purpose xD While they're talking, people say, "Kawaii." and Kara was just talking. I mean they just think it's cute xD

But I'm sure when Kara releases Mister and the MV they'll see something new to Kara.

But I didn't want them to debut with Mister at first[im okay with it now kindof] cuz, well the song is okay xD I mean people can't see the butt dance or Kara dance it everytime the song plays... but if Kara stops being put under the Kawaii category all the time[only sometimes] then i don't mind ^-^

A japanese show covered Dream Concert and Kara was one of the few to get a separate interview and do the butt dance! Starting at 6:57. They showed many groups, but focused on Suju, SNSD, some Wonder Girls and mentioned 4Minute, T-Ara and 2pm as well. SNSD and KARA were the only ones to do interviews. I don't understand Jap, but i think the reaction was positive and they are really loving the butt dance.

Oricon Weekly Chart Time ...!!

Artist: ARASHI

Single: Monster

Publisher: J-Storm

Released: 2010.05.19

Sales: 543,269

# Artist Single Sales

2 Nishino Kana Aitakute Aitakute 38,768

3 KAT-TUN Going! 22,851

4 FT Island Flower Rock 13,913

5 ikimono-gakari Arigatou 13,502

6 Sakamoto Fuyumi Mata Kimi ni Koishiteru / Asia no Kaizoku 12,558

7 DOES Dancer gamble 10,501

8 TETSUYA Roulette 9,095

9 Girls Dead Monster Thousand Enemies 8,463

10 moumoon Sunshine Girl 8,410

Well, I predict Arashi would sell 600k, but it turns out to be I'm wrong. But it still a fantastic sales number.

FT Island has a fair sales on 13k, not bad at 4th place, slightly more than ikimono gakari, but it's ikimono's 2nd week charting.

Until KARA release something new, this is my most exciting day as AKB48 is releasing PoniShu single today.

mid-day sales

*1 26,963 AKB48 (26,963 x 12.00 = 323,556)

previous mid-day sales

--mid-day / final sales--

SG   13,492  *57,456(x *4.26) Iiwake Maybe

SG  *4,818  *87,795(x 18.22) RIVER

SG  15,994  229,528(x 14.35) Sakura no Shiori

This is their highest mid-day sales so far, by their previous single ratio of mid-day to final day sales, the average is 12 times.

I would expect 300k 1st day sales, but the number could be completely off, ah .. I just got too excited ;)

I will keep an eye on the girls and to the point they will be able to sell!

Edited by eyeless

Thanks for the video lalalalahey! I never knew Japanese news covered the Dream Concert as well, and it's great that they interviewed Kara! Lol the interview asked what's the name of the bully-rubbing dance in WWY, haha.

eyeless you should totally start an AKB thread ;)

Thanks for the stats~ (:

btw, S/mileage is also releasing on 5/26.

^

I will start an AKB48 thread if their 1st day sales reach 350k :tongue:

It would means they are amazing enough to have a thread on Korean girl idol group forum

Complete mid-day result:

*1 26,963 AKB48

*2  *9,121 XIAH junsu

*3 *2,212 嵐

*4 サーターアンダギー

*5 西野カナ

*6  ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION

*7 氷川きよし

*8 Lia/多田葵

*9 スマイレージ

10  やくしまるえつこ

watch out Xiah ;)

Edited by eyeless

Oricon Daily Chart today

*1 354,403 AKB48

*2 118,510 XIAH junsu

*3 *15,621 Lia/多田葵

What does it means?

1. It means AKB48 outsell KAT-TUN weekly sales by 1st day sales

2. It means AKB48 outsell Arashi's 1st day sales by more than 100k copies

3. It means AKB48 definitely outsell XIAH Junsu :)

4. It means girls idol group is on rage right now

5. It means a lot new girls idol group will be formed

6. It means KARA can join the rage and promoted much

1. It means AKB48 outsell KAT-TUN weekly sales by 1st day sales

2. It means AKB48 outsell Arashi's 1st day sales by more than 100k copies

i was horrified & shocked as i wasn't expecing these figures.

according to above statistics, akb48 actually bettered their mid-day to final 1st day average sales by > 1.1 times.

4. It means girls idol group is on rage right now

6. It means KARA can join the rage and promoted much

but i'm relieved & feeling better with the supposed current trend in japan right now. :)

thanks lalalalahey for the dc japan interview link.

didn't feel/understand previously but have submitted to reality, now i feel good when kara is mentioned together with snsd.

now it's the midway of a long long race. best if 2 winners & so who will benefit most? the fans desu. :)

Gosh, I dread coming to this thread but like an addict I still check every time I log in to Karaholic. Reading from previous pages I only saw all the stats and numbers it makes me disheartened about the chances of our girls debuting in Japan specially knowing that girl group usually doesn't do well in Japan so I'm happy to know that if AKB48 can outsells the Johnny's our girls chances of success is much greater. I should cease buying Johnny's cd's when our girls debut in August! :D Thanks lalalalahey for the link and to all of you who contributes to this thread I learn a lot about the Japanese market which I never use to care about but certainly anxious to learn about now! :)

Edited by graszny

I should cease buying Johnny's cd's when our girls debut in August! biggrin.gif

NOOOO I love my Johnny's groups <33 Haha off topic.

5. It means a lot new girls idol group will be formed

Girl groups have been debuting in Japan like crazy this year. TGS, Vanilla Beans (I think that's what they're called), Momoclo, Smileage,.. and more to come I think. @_@ None of them are selling well though, except for Momoclo's moderate success.

May I add that Smileage debuted at #5 today with 7,000 copies sold? I think that's a realistic number we can expect if Kara were to debut in Japan. Of course they won't be selling over 100K like AKB yet, since they need to slowly accumulate their fanbase and expand and whatnot. (: It took many years before AKB was able to sell like what they're selling now (that, and a label change).

May I add that Smileage debuted at #5 today with 7,000 copies sold?

Not bad for S/mileage and it's only 1st day sales, they do better than Tokyo Girls Story's debut.

Girl groups have been debuting in Japan like crazy this year. TGS, Vanilla Beans (I think that's what they're called), Momoclo, Smileage,.. and more to come I think. @_@ None of them are selling well though, except for Momoclo's moderate success.

AKB48's Major debut single Aitakatta, only reach #12 Oricon and sold 25k, so I think the girls will do just fine, especially Momoiro Clover.

Of course it took more than 3 years for AKB to reach what they have right now, and I remember the girls almost give up at the mid 2008 when their sales wasn't even getting better.

It never been easy and won't gonna be easy in Japan music industry, it needs hard work, courage and never give up to survive.

KARA will enter Japan not from zero, they already took what it takes to be a popular group, so I don't think KARA would have the same hardship as the debuting girls group. And I still believe they would sell around 20k for Mister.

Plus, it's not the worst year for girls idol group, not like when AKB48 was debuting.

Edited by eyeless

I think Kara is debuting in Japan on a good year!

2010 will be Kara's year..!!

"AKB48's Major debut single Aitakatta, only reach #12 Oricon and sold 25k"

I think Kara can reach that right?

On articles and stuff they keep mentioning 4000 fans. I mean that's good but I actually want that to increase.. xD

On articles and stuff they keep mentioning 4000 fans. I mean that's good but I actually want that to increase.. xD

If each of the 4000 fans buy 5 copies, than the 20k sales can be achieved :gemadmire:

Ok, next girls idol match up, is on 6/9

Morning Musume - Seishun Collection

200px-SeishunCollectionLimB.jpg

VS

Idolling!!! - Me ni wa Aoba Yamahototogisu Hatsukoi

200px-News_large_idoling_meniwa_jkt_syokaiA.jpg

Morning Musume has been around for years, even it's not their golden era anymore but they still have a strong fanbase.

Idolling!!! actually more of a TV variety idol show, their game sometime is considered harsh, and the punishment is very humiliating :gemadmire:

My bet is on Morning Musume :gemadmire:

KARA debut with a already good fanbase !

It's maybe nothing compare to AKB41 or Morning Musume

But KARA has not release their first single yet :(

If each of the 4000 fans buy 5 copies, than the 20k sales can be achieved :D

That's right lol. But do fans really buy lot of copy of the same single ?

I know some do it but....even so....

Well...I just hope more Japanese will fall for Mister, its Butt dance and KARA !