[2010.08.11] Japanese Debut Single [Mister]

yuda

This is the Music Japan CM for girls idol special, MUSIC JAPAN Idol Daishuugou!

We've talked about this earlier, seems like a good show.

Featured is Morning Musume, AKB48, Idolling!!!, S/Mileage, Momoiro Clover, etc

Edited by eyeless

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If each of the 4000 fans buy 5 copies...

hahahah, don't frighten me this is how you estimated the 20k sale target in your earlier earlier post.

ok seriously, 4000 was the official number month ago so with new members & non-signup fans, do you think 5000-8000 fanbase before debut is achievable with your expertise knowledge?

personally i don't think majority of the fans will buy more than 1 just to support a korean group, maybe some in terms of hundreds (max).

so the hope is strong "publication"/promotion with a good pv! (& luck too.)

probably some international sales, but it'll be bit tough since mister is a "old" song.

hahahah, don't frighten me this is how you estimated the 20k sale target in your earlier earlier post.

No worries, I'm just kidding about buys 5 copies :(

The 4000 numbers came out from how much people attend the fans meeting last time, I thing there's alot of fans who didn't attend the event and a lot of not yet a fans would buy the single because of promotions and more. It all depends so much on the marketing strategies, how much their perform and show on tv, etc etc.

By judging on KARA's quality, how much they have been featured on Japan TV shows and news, they have the advantages.

One thing that I can't measure, unlike in Japan as they have oricon chart which shown how much a single sold. What about in Korea? for example how popular is the Lupin mini album in compare with .. let say SNSD's Oh! or other releases from other artists.

Another thing to measure in Japan music scheme, MUSIC STATION, which is the most prestigious music show and only top sellers can be invited in that show. MUSIC STATION has the impact of boosting sales every time they featured in it.

The last MUSIC STATION episodes was really good, I would like to share some parts here

The Arashi interview, no subtitle and I don't understand, but seems like a hilarious one

Arashi - Monster

Xiah Junsu - Intoxication

AKB48 - Ponytail to Shushu

Edited by eyeless

hmmm, show on tv may be too late for kara oricon first week chart.

hahah, about the korea chart & album sale, think have to drag xichigo here. she's very informative at them. heheheh.

ok to my limited knowledge, in korea they emphasize more on performance in music shows.

the main one are mcountdown, music bank, music core & inkigayo. they are broadcasted weekly.

except mucore, awards are given out weekly based on their vote count systems.

unless you know hangul, the computation formulae are available in their respective sites.

think the deciding factors include air-time & tv rating besides sales.

korea also has some online charts to show digital & album sales but that's all i know.

and lastly the year end awards based on the charts above. hahah, sorry i have no depth to share here.

but recently heard korea has introduced a consolidating official music chart called gaon chart, think it's still very raw.

imo it'll still be years away for gaon to achieve oricon's. :)

frankly speaking after watching the videos from arashi, xianjunsu & akb48, i can't find any reason why kara can't be as success as them.

the only reason(s) i can think of is their ages, numbers, country of origin & so the language.

@red4summer

What?? xichigo is she? I always thought she was he :sweatdrop:

One more good news, on the MUSIC JAPAN Idol Daishuugou! I've talking about, KARA's been featured again! :thumbup1:

Just a short one but I feel excited

As I've expected, no interaction between groups :angry:

But I will share some of the performance ..

First one is the opening, and performance by Momoiro Clover - Ikuze! Kaitou Shoujo

OMG, they're hyper, what did they drink before the performance? Definitely lipsynced, no one expect them to sing it live with that jumping all over.

Momoiro Clover is under UMJ, the same as KARA in Japan.

I skip S/Milleage and Tokyo Girls Story, it kindda boring

The forth is Morning Musume. - Seishun Collection

After a couple of single they've released which I don't like, this is the song Morning Musume should have, and they sing it live

I skip another performance by Vanilla Beans, this duo is awkward and wierd.

For Idolling!!! and AKB48, I wouldn't know they sang it live or not, there are too many members.

The sixth is Idolling!!! - Me ni wa Aoba Yamahototogisu Hatsukoi

They started as 9 formation and ended this much?? the tall one at the center, Mai Endo, is my favorite Idolling!!! girl :P

The seventh AKB48 - Ponytail to Shushu

Edited by eyeless

but i was just thinking... Hara isn't pulled out in Invincible Youth (not that I don't like this), but 4minute and SNSD members have been pulled out, maybe because of their Japan promotions (??? i don't know)... so i was thinking how could Hara film Invincible Youth and at the same time debut in Japan?

or will they just release an album then go back to Korea like C.N. Blue????

@eyeless

hahah "no interaction between groups", in korean groups for sure we see lots of hugs & touches.

& thanks for shifting the videos to dailymotion, your "little" efforts are greatly appreciated.

woah, 10 seconds of kara on THE music japan! like nerdxissa said, i feel good about kara in mister outfits.

about this "farah ain", she just copied from post#2.

hahah when you hang around kh long enough, you will discover many interesting "members". :P

(think by the time you visit here, her post was already "gone".)

@joiijoee

"so i was thinking how could Hara film Invincible Youth and at the same time debut in Japan?"

it means kara is not stationing long term (months) in japan for their promotion? :)

Looking at the performances... I think Kara would fit in well xD And I could just picture KAra in the group of girls in their Mister outfits. Ahh! Makes me excited ^-^

I can say KARA would stand out between those groups :P

so i was thinking how could Hara film Invincible Youth and at the same time debut in Japan?

Usually starting period of promoting singles is about 2-3 weeks before it's released. KARA still has around 2 months before promoting, so a lot of things could happen in this 2 months time.

woah, 10 seconds of kara on THE music japan! like nerdxissa said, i feel good about kara in mister outfits.

10 seconds, but I think it's crucial. It's MUSIC JAPAN and the event is girls idol group. It's a good appearance for KARA (and 4minutes :P)

All for the best :)

hahah "no interaction between groups", in korean groups for sure we see lots of hugs & touches.

Yeah.. that's what I like about Korean groups. Japanese groups tends to make them self exclusive, they all stand together in one stage but keep separated between groups. I don't know it's the culture or just a management point of view not to show any friendship between group which is ridiculous. Even AKB48 and Idolling!!! which have a collaboration unit AKBIdolling!!! don't show any interaction at that show :)

actually what caused some of us to worry most is they will be deploying in japan for months promoting their single & enhancing their popularity through tv programmes. the immediate impact is the low performance in korea thus making kara vulnerable to existing or upcoming new girl idol groups. moreover with lesser local tv show appearance, it somehow exaggerates the lost of memory from the public. having saying this, i don't believe the local fanbase will be affected but more on the general view. i meant the girls took so long to establish themselves among the groups so most of us tend to be cautious with the approach into japan. believe this is the general worry, though i may be wrong. personally i believe too this japan adventure may bring up another wave to surge up kara popularity as a whole. this group is not longer young & inexperience, they have gone & grown from strength to strength, from local to overseas. i'm praying hard they will be as successful as we can dream. :D

One more good news, on the MUSIC JAPAN Idol Daishuugou! I've talking about, KARA's been featured again! :)

Just a short one but I feel excited

I agree ! Even if It was just 10 second of KARA, I am so greateful Music Japan mention the girls lol.

Music Japan is one of the big japanese music show so the only fact KARA appears in it, is a good promotion already :)

Talking about their promotion in Japan, even if it would mean less apparition in Korea, I prefer them to have a full and proper promotion

I want to see them on shows and promote Mister along other japanese artists

Because I feel that if they only release the single then after few time comeback to Korea, It will be a wast of time

Japan market isn't easy and if you don't promote well so you don't have a chance to success !

KARA don't need to stay a year but some months would be enough...the whole summer and the begining of autumn for example :D

Look at 4minute, they just released their single, then made a very small promotion before rushing back in Korea

And the result isn't great since they didn't seem to have made an impact in Japan

KARA has the advantage to have fans who are waiting for them so they need to take this opportunity and make a name in Japan !

Edited by Solin

Hey guys, I promised I'd try and sub KARA's fanmeeting interview on 100508. Ran into translation issues, encoding issues, hardsubbing issues, hell, youtube even took it down as soon as I uploaded it. So I put it on Vimeo instead.

Anyways, here's the translated video: 100508 KARA's fanmeeting in Japan

Original video credit: Jijipress

P.S. Props to Sweet Melodix, who has to go through this process for every video they upload for us.

Hey guys, I promised I'd try and sub KARA's fanmeeting interview on 100508. Ran into translation issues, encoding issues, hardsubbing issues, hell, youtube even took it down as soon as I uploaded it. So I put it on Vimeo instead.

Anyways, here's the translated video: 100508 KARA's fanmeeting in Japan

Original video credit: Jijipress

P.S. Props to Sweet Melodix, who has to go through this process for every video they upload for us.

Woah! thanks for the video man! and yeah sweet melodix must really go through alot to sub the videos. So thanks to you for that video and thanks to sweet melodix for every video they've done. lol

@mehve

Thank you so much for the subs and sharing.

It's amazing how you manage to translate it :D

Oricon Weekly Chart

Artist: AKB48

Single: Ponytail to Chouchou

Publisher: KING RECORDS

Released: 2010.05.26

Sales: 513,453

# Artist Single Sales

2 XIAH junsu XIAH 195,336

3 Lia / Tada Aoi My Soul, Your Beats! / Brave Song 80,272

4 ARASHI Monster 67,383

5 S/mileage Yumemiru Fifteen 20,438

6 Nishino Kana Aitakute Aitakute 20,327

7 Sata Andagi Okinawa ni Ikimasen ka 19,015

8 ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION Maigo Inu to Ame no Beat 18,443

9 Hikawa Kiyoshi Shamisen Tabigarasu 14,312

10 Yakushimaru Etsuko Venus to Jesus 12,564

XIAH junsu is really amazing as a solo artist, just that he pick a wrong week to release. He could have been #1 in another week.

S/mileage sold pretty good for their debut major single. As one of the new idol group, hope they have a fierce competition with Momoiro Clover.

AKB48 have the first 500k+ sales, which also set a record as the last time a female group or solo sold 500k+ is 9 years ago. They sold more than I expected but .. its their senbatsu election single.

I am happy that the girls are debut in Japan, but I sad for all the korean kamilia since they won't get to see thier idol for a while. I think the girls aren't going to stay long term like dbsk. I think they debut their album in japanese then head back to Korea for other album. But still we don't know how long it going to take to promote their album, ususallly in Korea you promote it for 2 months, so the girls may promote mister for 2 month go on variety show music shows and all that stuff. Maybe have photoshoot, cf, and concerts. So they can last to like 3 to 4 months at the most. The girls could come back to korea around november or december depend on their schedule. Plus Hara would have to leave invincible youth and Gyuri would have to stop being a DJ for a while. But maybe are girls can win a japan award like best newcomer group. That would be awesome

Edited by kimngocnguyen06

@solin

agree with your point there, making a short appearance promotion may not be that advisable.

it's harder to cause a major & everlasting impact onto the japanese.

but i'm not sure how members are going to stay away from korea in months especially gyulhara with their individual tv show commitment.

if they have to choose then will prefer them to concentrate in japan rather than flying to & fro between countries just to please both sides.

should take this golden opportunity to see & expand outside korea. there ain't any country more suitable than japan. it's big & tough.

@mehve

many thanks to you for the subbed interview, i'm now able to watch & read their words.

i really love the way they tried hard to speak the native language, it just shows how they want this trip to be a success.

hahah, i still feel nervous for them while watching today. imagining they are speaking in less-english, i wouldn't mind at all.

i shall be applauding & nodding my head while listening to them. any japanese member here? you guys are really lucky.

@eyeless

half million week sale for a girl idol group, it's insane but true. that's also where dsp & umj are aiming at, the mass interests & how extreme fans can go.

I think it's really awesome that Kara is debuting in Japan since I think it'll bring a new flavor to their music with the music market being really different there. While I love Mister and I think it's a pretty good song to debut with, I hope they don't stay with just redubbing their Korean songs in Japanese for too much longer since imo songs are still better in their original language and plus I think that new, original songs sell better than the Japanese versions of Korean songs. And it's really great that they're learning Japanese since they can communicate with their potential market better and plus they can promote themselves better on shows and etc. And from the clips I watched, it seems that Gyuri and Seungyeon can converse decently in Japanese which is great already (better than Big Bang at the beginning when basically Taeyang was the only one in BB that could talk on shows :P). And out of the groups debuting in Japan, I think Kara probably has the best shot at being successful since their Korean image is already something that I think already appeals to the Japanese audience more so than the other groups' images, so I really hope they can sell well there! :)

And about the Japanese promos vs. activities in Korea, it is possible to have activities in both places, but if Kara is going to do that, they're going to be VERY BUSY nonstop for a really long period of time. I remember in 2004, BoA was at the peak of her popularity in both Korea and Japan and was doing promotions for albums in both places, but she literally worked nonstop flying back and forth between Korea and Japan every week. But I think she realized it was too much because she only did that for one more year and then started working in Japan most of the time after that. I'm not sure what Kara will do in August, but I hope they stay in the Japanese market for at least a chunk of the year since I think it's a great opportunity for them.