What is the fate of Kara with DSP?

Hey guys,

So if you haven't yet heard, SS501's leader, Kim Hyunjoong (aka Jihoo from Boys over Flowers, etc. etc.) will NOT be renewing his contract with DSP, and will be signing on with Keyeast, an acting company. As you know, most of SS501's popularity came from him, so at this point it is uncertain if SS501 will disband, have members pursue individual activities, continue on as a 4 person group or replace Hyunjoong with 5 members.

I'm really concerned about the worst case scenario, mainly about how it will affect Kara. Currently, Daesung Entertainment only has three main groups active, aside from a few solo artists: Kara, SS501, and Rainbow. If SS501 does fall apart, what will happen to the stability of Kara within DSP? Unlike bigger companies like SM, DSP has very few active groups. There is no way a company can stand just on one popular group and one rookie group. Will DSP still be able to fully promote Kara's debut in Japan? Are they going to start overworking our girls as they are DSP's only money source? I've read about so many horror stories of companies falling apart and dragging their groups with them (though the only examples I have were with undebuted groups, i.e. 5 Girls that was originally supposed to debut Yoobin, now of WG, Uee, of AS, Hyosung, of Secret, etc. etc.; or Sunny of SNSD who was supposed to debut in Wheesung's company before it collapsed financially). On the other hand, smaller companies like Pledis have been surviving with just one major group (After School, and Son Dambi).

I know that I am probably just thinking too wildly, but I am also scared by the facts and past precedents. What do you think?

*and if the official news gets posted soon please feel free to remove this thread. Thanks for letting me chime in my two cents!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it IS worrying. can dsp stay afloat with just kara and rainbow? maybe this will motivate them to better promote kara? or maybe they will work them till they collapse...

does anyone know for sure when kara's contract expires? gyuri's, seungyeon's and nicole's should expire in about 2 years right or did they renew for another 5 years when hara and jiyoung joined?

(btw... your sig is funny!)

well I don't know much about DSP..

but if what you say is true Kara is in a bad situation

I just hope DSP already planned something good and things will get well for Kara

Of course it is very scaring to think what happen to our girls. Since most people haven't got use to rainbow. But I heard that even through hyun joong is leave DSP, ss501 would still continued, and SS501 is in the process of renewed it contract with DSP. Well that what I heard from allkpop, and that hyun joong can still particate in ss501 promoting, but I just don't see that as a possibilites.

DSP is one of the oldest enternament agency along with SM. They have came out with finkl, sechikies. Both groups were very popular back in the day. So now matter what I think DSP can still survive. But in case of ss501 leaving DSP, I think DSP would come up with a new group (boy band or girl group).

I think gyuri,seungyeon, and nicole contract was for five years don't know. So then it would be other two years. I don't think they were sign another contract just because hara and jiyoung came, I think just hara, and jiyoung sign the contract but it just short contract, so it would match the other girls.

relax guys, imo ss501 isn't going to break apart because their leader is discontinuing his contract. (hyunjoong is pursuing his other interest in acting, i presumed. so i assume there's a chance he maybe still around..) anyway dsp wouldn't let it happen, nor the remaining 4 members. they love what they are doing & hence they extended their contracts with confidence in their belief in dsp & most importantly in themselves, & not forgetting their fans too.

groups don't fall just because 1 or 2 members leave, true fans will always or even hold on to them more tightly. as for kara, let's not get ourselves too worried by looking so far in this "direction", though it's dsp responsibility. what we can do now is to be a true fan. true fan doesn't need to be since debut but one who follows them till the end, even.. even 1 member is left. :)

yep..that news is saddening too..

since personally, i just know them recently :(

but anyway, from the looks of it, i'm sure ss501 won't be disbanded..

don't know about hyunjoong's condition later, but as for Triple S must have belief in them..

if fans have started to doubting them, that will be the collapse time..

anyway, just like people said, just hope to HJL's words right now that they will always be together :)

and as for KARA...let's just have faith in them..

and although DSP isn't as big as others, just like others said, DSP is one of the oldest..

people complaining how bad DSP is as a entertainment company..but i'm sure they will worked it out..

with the "new" double S later, and with KARA in japan..i'm sure they can do it..

and maybe they will debuting new groups too in the future :)

true fan doesn't need to be since debut but one who follows them till the end, even.. even 1 member is left.

yep..can't agree more to this :)

When I read about SS501, I was shocked. Kim Hyun Joong promised SS501 would stay together always...but I guess he meant without him. ): It makes me so sad, but that's his decision and we must respect it.

Yeahhh. After I read your comment, you're right. This makes me worried too. >< But there are a lot of companies out there with just ONE major group, so ._. I hope and wish with all my heart that DSP (and Kara) do not collapse. If DSP cuts down on a few things and uses money wisely, I'm sure they'll be fine. But as with most companies, they tend to want to make the most money and waste the most money. Idk. DSP should just cut down on its costs, because it's just not up there with SM entertainment. Even if DSP used to be there, there's no way they can catch up with SM now. SM has TOO many groups.

I'm sure Kara will find a way to continue being Kara under another company IF the horror of DSP collapsing happens. ><

Wow, I never thought about that (I didn't even know they were part of the same company to be honest). That is very concerning. Although SS501 is a major group and a major part of the company, I think KARA is as well (perhaps not as much, but they are nonetheless). I don't think the company will dissolve, but maybe fewer funds with not allow for as top notch quality videos and songs. Let's hope that isn't the case but who knows!

for now we should just have faith in DSP. I don't think SS501 will just disband like that, since only ONE member left. maybe they'll replace him, maybe they'll continue as a four member group (SS401?) but I'm 90% sure that SS501 will not disband. the other members' contracts with DSP are still intact, right? moving to another company would be very troublesome...

but anyway, cheer up! I'm sure they won't overwork our girls! fighting!

S501 will not fall apart. They will continue what they do. Whatever rumors you heard please as a Kara or SS501 fan. TRUST them! Only hear what they say and not from anything. About Leader, yeah, he renewed his contract in Key East but he said he still wanted to perform as a member of SS501. He will continue to be a Double S, a Leader. This is a tragic thing but we must face the facts. HJB and PJM renewed their contract still in DSP. Kyu Jong is still under whatever. DSP won't sign Kyu Jong's renew contract. In case, Kyu Jong's contract won't dign by DSP, I think he will renew in YGE. HYS, well, I don't know about him. As of right now, nothing will happen to Kara, they won't overwork or anything. Don't act too exaggerate. SS501 will continue.

What's the use of them being called 5 together as 1 FOREVER if they won't keep it?

They said it. We will continue FOREVER!

Trust them, please.

Until 2nd full album isn't release yet.

Wait for their comeback as still a group called SS501.

Nobody will replace anyone.

Edited by kollfen

Well Kara is a really huge and successful group both in Korea and Japan, which will keep DSP's financial status stable. This factor will definitely make Kara renew their contracts because they are famous everywhere. If they are not well-known and the company is falling apart, there is no point in renewing their contract. If DSP does collapse, I think there will be many recording companies that will want to take Kara as they are very successful. They are the top earners in DSP and they are one of the main reasons DSP is still standing. If their Japanese promotion is a success and they have new hit albums, I don't think Kara is going anywhere. So don't worry too much about it.

With SS501 leaving, I think DSP will debut a new boy band because all companies have trainees, right?

I'm sure that if Kara can survive after having lost a member then SS501 should be also be able to. DSP as stated before also has a pretty strong track record so I trust they'll make the proper the decisions in managing their groups.

The news about Kim Hyun Joong moving to Keyeast is a sad news and I'm really worry about SS501's future right now and especially concerning the four other members. I hope they could renew their contract with DSP and continue group activities even if leader isn't under DSP anymore....It's still possible to cooperate.

It is sure a big lost for DSP but they can face like they did when Fin.K.L decided to disband. From 2005 to 2007, they only have SS501 but have survived at then end. Today the situation is even better since SS501 hasn't officially disband, KARA is one of the most popular group right now in K-pop and Rainbow has already debuted. If during KARA's promotion in Japan, DSP promote well Rainbow, so this group can also become popular. If SS501 continues so everything will go well, and even if only four members stay, they still can do something like solo activities for exemple. And there also have rumor about DSP preparing to de debut a new boy group so let's hope the rumor is true and that this new group could do well.

I have always wish to see DSP with more artist like SME but the problem is that DSP is bad in promoting and tale time to bring fame to their artist. But recently, we have seen big improvement from them on this subject.

wow i never thought of it that way... well, its still too early to say ss501 might disband,we should just wait for official news, but in the case that they do, i think DSP will do just fine. Kara is a popular group and im sure they will do well enough for DSP to remain stable,but yeah,them being overworked is worrying too. The safest thing for DSP to do is debut a boygroup, if you notice, its kinda easier for a boygroup to make it in Korea than a girl group. Girl groups usually have alot of controversies and stuff like that... yeah.. thats just what i think. I guess now we just have to wait for official news..

With SS501 leaving, I think DSP will debut a new boy band because all companies have trainees, right?

Yes, DSP is planning on debuting a new boy group some time this summer.

I guess many of you don't know that DSP also has other investments other than idols? Last I checked, they had an acting division as well as producing OST's for dramas & movies.

For now, KARA will stay on their path.. what is happening with SS501 should not affect KARA. For the future, we will see.

It will be really sad if SS501 does disband, and if DSP ends up overworking Kara but I have faith that DSP is in a situation where they would not need to do that considering their past history with their former groups. I also think SS501 will continue, and Kara will maintain their current pace.

Everyone would hate it if Kara members had to suffer because of a company's greed, and we know which company has done that to a certain very popular boy band (DBSK).

Worst case scenario, if DSP goes down I'm sure another company would sign Kara. They're a popular and established group, so I don't think we need to worry too much about the girls quite yet.

i was thinking the exact same thing. i wonder what company their image would fit in with?

It seems the DSP love will still continue? Hyunjoong and Seungyeon's possible casting in the same drama gives me slight hope.

At last the Let Me be the One MV was released...but why so late...DSP fail again.

Ahhh..this is kinda worrying..but i think DSP will be able to hold up..you can see that KARA is gaining in popularity nowadays..even if DSP falls, other companies would gladly take them in..that is entirely possible..i tihnk...but nonetheless KARA should be fine...as for SS501, since Hyunjoong didn't renew his contract..there is still d possibility of him being in the group..but not that active as he is with another agent..and if he drops out, the management of DSP would surely discuss of replacing him or juz continue with 4 members..however the sitation is, the fans still love SS501 as it is..they can capitalize on the loyalty of SS501's fans...the thing is, this news is kinda like a balanced bad and good news..whatevr the future holds for us..let us all juz show our support for KARA and SS501.and rainbow as well..the rookies r quite unpopular..but..mayb sumday they will break from their shell and b popular..let's juz support all their efforts for now..