What is the fate of Kara with DSP?

ugh how can DSP survive without a boyband. no matter how famous a girl group gets, their CD sales/revenue aren't ever going to match up to a guy group's ;~~~; Yeah KARA could probably go search for an independent company if it comes to that, I guess... but sdlkfjsd I really hope DSP gets a hold of themselves and debuts a new boy band or something X_X

I've been worrying a lot about this lately.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like most of us do not know about Korea CD industry well.

Based on nate.com articles and CD sales numbers on Hanteo.com, very few groups/artists could make money from CD or online single dwonload. Even boybands have the same CD sales level as KARA. Furthermore, KARA has very good online single download record.

The most profitable things for korea artist are endorsement/CF and commercial performance. KARA has a bit more advantage than other artists on these parts because our girls have better image.

DSP definately will operate well with both KARA and Rainbow. For the new boybands, let's just wait and see.

Edited by pig3head

We are just going to have the wait it out and see what happens. KARA's popularity will always be their regardless if it's with DSP or another country. One thing that is for sure is DSP is putting everything into getting KARA into the Japanese market. All indications look like they are handling KARA well in most manners.

in the case of dsp & ss501, it's more like dsp failing to hold on to ss501 or the boys leaving for clearer prospect elsewhere. rather than dsp not trying to keep them, it was the boys decisions or reasons accommulated over periods. i'm sure dsp fought hard to re-sign them but to no avail. so hopefully dsp in realizing & therfore no repeating of the same thing again.

personally no matter how inefficient or ineffective dsp was previously or presently, we should always give dsp the much needed chance. kara debuted under dsp & is flourishing at the moments, let's keep fate in dsp in working their butt off to improve kara & promote harder. when the time comes, let the results be the judge then. the girls are intelligent enough to decide what's best ahead. until it's over, dsp is still the one & not those big companys who failed to notice kara. without dsp, we wouldn't be here. :syc2:

that's always the debate in loyalty & reality, it's up to individual.

DSP definately will operate well with both KARA and Rainbow. For the new boybands, let's just wait and see.

were did you get the news that DSP is doing well? lol

all i hear is "rumors" of bankruptcy ?

Wow.. look like a good discussion has been going on here ..

I'm quite new in K-Pop so I don't know much, but seems like the groups only managed by a single company? no other record company or agency involved?

In J-Pop (sorry to bring this but it's the only thing I knew for comparison), there are management company like Johnnys Entertainment, Hello Project, AKS, then there are record company like Universal, Sony, Epic, Warner, King, etc. On more extreme case, each member of AKB48 is handled by different Agency.

So, top group is like a walking enterprise.

Just dropped by, and will read this thread from time to time :)

were did you get the news that DSP is doing well? lol

all i hear is "rumors" of bankruptcy ?

======================================

:D

The latest rumour about DSP I read was DSP would debut two boybands soon, not sure if this is a kind of "bankruptcy" rumour.

Rainbow will come back soon by releasing a digitl single in 12th, August and an album in Stepmber, is this another sign of "bankruptcy"?

And could you please tell me the source about DSP's going to bankruptcy? I will check it out.

BTW,

The source I am using about DSP is from http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=kara which may be the most active kamilia site in Korea.

I have never seen any kamilia talking about DSP's dying there. What they are talking about are KARA's debut in Japan in recent days and KARA's comeback in Stepmber/October. Quite good! :thumbup:

Looks like kamilias in dckara&kara-t forum are quite happy in these days because DSP works very well with UMJ to promote KARA in Japan.

International Kamilias,

please, please spend some time in checking out what is happening in Korea kamilia site. Everything is fine there! :lol::D

Edited by pig3head

Looks like kamilias in dckara&kara-t forum are quite happy in these days because DSP works very well with UMJ to promote KARA in Japan.

International Kamilias,

please, please spend some time in checking out what is happening in Korea kamilia site. Everything is fine there! :D :D

I check them ;)..

but let's not get carried away.. it's not like KARA fans are blind and don't know how DSP works lol. I think fans are just waiting and seeing what is going to happen like the rest of us.

About the new groups to debut + Rainbow.. I don't even know what to think b/c we know how DSP's patience is within 2 albums usually. They can't create another group using KARA's template lol.

For KARA, I hope DSP AIMS higher.

Wow.. look like a good discussion has been going on here ..

I'm quite new in K-Pop so I don't know much, but seems like the groups only managed by a single company? no other record company or agency involved?

In J-Pop (sorry to bring this but it's the only thing I knew for comparison), there are management company like Johnnys Entertainment, Hello Project, AKS, then there are record company like Universal, Sony, Epic, Warner, King, etc. On more extreme case, each member of AKB48 is handled by different Agency.

So, top group is like a walking enterprise.

Just dropped by, and will read this thread from time to time :thumbup:

woah!!! well for korea, most of the time 1 group = 1 management.

The top 3 companies (now....sad because DSP used to be one of the top 2) JYP, SM and YG...

DSP was left behind because they lack promotional strategies.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmm, KARA's contract is 7 years as far as I can remember. It's longer usually for girl groups because they don't need to go to the army and girl groups usually get more CFs/Advertisements (compared to CD sales, this probably adds more money) and they can easily shift to acting, hosting or modeling. Their digital sales is also higher...physical sales are dominated by boy groups.

I do think that DSP is in trouble, they still have many followers though (DSP line fans). I don't want the company to die cause still, it'll be difficult to have a company that will take all members of a group but if they continue disregarding promos, it'll be hard for them.

Edited by KaraNice

this is a rather interesting discussion :thumbup:

i would think that DSP would try and invest in promoting new groups as it seems risky to rely solely on 1 group. What it comes down to, is probably a lot of the money earned from Kara would be used to invest in other groups to diversify.

i do not believe there would be a decline in Kara in the sense that they will appear less on TV and whatnot, but I do believe there might be a decrease in production quality of certain aspects in their promotions (less ads, less production value on MVs, etc). Rather than going full force and put money everywhere, they'll put money where it matters the most... obviously at the cost of other things.

^

in whatever strategy out there in the business world, all $ generated from one product will not be redirected back to the product but to be diversified into others. but not till a reduction in the product quality, it's not a wise decision, a suicide move imo. in most cases, they will keep pushing & improving on the current hot selling while maintaining a presence in the market with varieties.

is dsp so unwise or shortsighted? i hope not. :(

no joke i don't really give much credit to DSP to why KARA is what they are right now.. i would give much credit to the Kamilias who stayed with them through thick and thin. if you heard this one interview with a DJ who's been trying to promote Kara when they are still not "that known" he speaks truth.. :( i just have to find that. it was subbed by KH too.. lol

Some update: :o

Yesterday, rumours and pictures about DSP buying new garden-like buildings in Seoul spread quickly on dckara. Of course, few DSP family veteran fans start blaming that DSP spends money in wrong place again but we all know that DSP's financial position is very strong now.

According to the rumour, DSP will move to the new office soon. Hoping there are better office & training-room for our girls.

i agree that its worrying, especially when dsp doesnt know much about marketing, unlike sm. i believe that for now, all this would equal to our girls being overworked. ss501 is currently inactive cos its future isnt certain, whereas kara's popularity is constantly increasing. and rainbow? well, like u all guys say, rainbow has yet to establish themselves as a popular girl group with a solid fanbase. and dsp needs money, like any other company. so what to do? with only 1 major group, they'll just have to suck the cash out of kara and get them to go on more shows and stuff.

kara being overworked is, in my opinion, an official FACT, just take a nice peek at their schedule. they're debuting in japan, but they're also having regular broadcasts on korean television at the same time. this is totally totally crazy. even snsd withdrew from all the shows they regularly appear on, so that they wont have any other commitments and solely focus on their japan debut. on the other hand, dsp is doing a rather half-hearted job at this, which would quite likely affect their japan debut, though umj's rather-brilliant offline promotions impresses me.

and kara only having 4 years left with dsp??

OMG.

but kara mentioned that they want to be the longest running group out there, like a 2nd shinhwa T.T

i know that 4 years isnt rly such a short time, but i want kara to be there for all of us forever and ever....

them disbanding would be utterly utterly horrendous, though kara signing with another company is also yet another possibility. if they should ever sign a contract with other companies, im praying that it would be a company which:

1. knows how to market kara - dsp just doesnt know the ropes, though they're one of the oldest companies out there

2. does not mistreat kara - c'mon, everyone knows how nasty sm, jyp, etc can be when it comes to their artists' well-being and salary.

3. hires amazing composers and choreographers!!!! - so that they will still continue to please us diehard fans :D :D

I do worry about SS501 but I have a lot of faith that Kara will still move forward and still be DSP's leading girl group. That does probably mean that our Kara will be working double hard but I don't think that DSP is dying company. I mean they still have Kara, and Rainbow and the remaining members of SS501. So let's just wait and see what will happen but I hope that it won't affect Kara too much.

@mizuirokaze13 & sushi

kim & park have confirmed leaving dsp while the remaining 3 are searching for new agency. they may make a u-turn & re-contract but the chance is slim. hope ss501 will still stay as ss501 but it's going to affect in some ways.

i'm dead worried when kara end of contract arrived, not on re-contracting but more on members going different directions. i don't want to see a repeat, it'll be a disaster. so i sincerely hope in the next few years, dsp can do everything possible to keep the group intact with all 5.

KARA won't die anytime soon b/c of DSP.. lol.. they've come close to it before but managed to survive.. it's like.. what hasn't KARA experienced?.. Gyuri, SeungYeon, and Nicole have been through it and i'm sure they will help Hara and Jing out if something horrible was to happen. It doesn't make sense why DSP would not push KARA .. they would want to push KARA XD.

with comeback in september, dsp is not dying anytime soon. :) maybe dsp has no choice but i'm very pleased to learn dsp is working hard desperately to take kara as far as where she can. with kara booming hot, dsp is not going to fall apart or downwards but to rise. let's have more fate & plant trust into the company where the girls are working. :)