Kara's Studio Headphones

KokoroBeach

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure make the headphone sounds good to me. How is the build quality? Where did you buy them? I have yet to find a headphone that sounds appealing to me so I am being more open to choices. Well the thing is I have experience headphone that cost a few hundred dollars :D . Somehow my threshold of quality have gone higher. A few years ago I tried the headphone that is well -known. Its the Grado series 225. I instantly fell in love with the sound :wub: . It just sound very real as if I am there.I also fell in love with music at that time. That sure set a standard for me.

But what I really want is a headphone that can give me the same feeling as when I put on that Grado headphone. It does not have to sound same. It just have to give an experience so new and good that I like it. Do you think this headphone can do that? It is worth a try I guess but I still do not want to easily spend money like that.

You should try connecting your headphone to an amplifier. You can google out for "cmoy" that is the name of a cheap, portable, good sounding and good looking amplifier. You can get them on ebay. It would make the headphone sound better as it give sufficient power for the headphone driver to move. Fyi.

Edited by Palaverist

You sure make the headphone sounds good to me. How is the build quality? Where did you buy them? I have yet to find a headphone that sounds appealing to me so I am being more open to choices. Well the thing is I have experience headphone that cost a few hundred dollars :D . Somehow my threshold of quality have gone higher. A few years ago I tried the headphone that is well -known. Its the Grado series 225. I instantly fell in love with the sound :wub: . It just sound very real as if I am there.I also fell in love with music at that time. That sure set a standard for me.

But what I really want is a headphone that can give me the same feeling as when I put on that Grado headphone. It does not have to sound same. It just have to give an experience so new and good that I like it. Do you think this headphone can do that? It is worth a try I guess but I still do not want to easily spend money like that.

You should try connecting your headphone to an amplifier. You can google out for "cmoy" that is the name of a cheap, portable, good sounding and good looking amplifier. You can get them on ebay. It would make the headphone sound better as it give sufficient power for the headphone driver to move. Fyi.

Oh dang, you must have gone through alot of HiFi headphones then xD.

By all means these headphones are great, but I don't know if you'll like the neutral sound.

Build quality is great, plastic, but built to last. I bought them off a German studio store online. You could probably get yours on amazon if your in the US.

If you came from Grado headphones, idk if you'll like these, since Grado's are bumped up in the mid-high frequencies which make them great for rock. For me, I could not handle Grados since there was too much sibilance for me, had ear fatigue pretty quickly since my ears are sensitive to high frequencies. So mileage may vary.

As a comparison, by all means these are amazing headphones under 100 bucks(which was my budget), and reportedly gives the Sennheisers (555, 595, 600) a run for their money. But undoubtedly, something like the M-Audio Q40, Audio Techica ATH-M50, or anything of more audiophile quality would beat it, but the RP-21s have better soundstage and 3D imaging as I have so far experienced for "closed" headphones.

Btw, do cmoys really work well? I heard you can build them yourself with an Altoids can, but I wondered how well they work.

But I don't think I need an amp since the RP-21s run at 32 Ohms.

Edited by KokoroBeach

Thanks for replying I would research your suggestions. I am not sure whether I can get it from amazon not from the US. I prefer something that do not burn a hole in my pocket. Basically looking for the best bang for the buck. I hope my local headphone store have it.

I have not really tried factory build amps before so I cannot do much comparison with them. Cmoy works very well for the price. I can say that it is better than factory build amps that cost a few hundred dollars. I have one cmoy that I purchased on the cheap approximately 34 euro. For the price it is definitely a steal. The instruments sound louder and slightly clear and soundstage is further expanded. Even a 32 ohm headphone benefits from amping. I am currently using earbuds. Mileage may vary due to different components in the amp especially the chip inside it as well as its design. They are generally good. But the disadvantage I see is it kind of change the sound. It happens to all amps though.

Thanks for replying I would research your suggestions. I am not sure whether I can get it from amazon not from the US. I prefer something that do not burn a hole in my pocket. Basically looking for the best bang for the buck. I hope my local headphone store have it.

I have not really tried factory build amps before so I cannot do much comparison with them. Cmoy works very well for the price. I can say that it is better than factory build amps that cost a few hundred dollars. I have one cmoy that I purchased on the cheap approximately 34 euro. For the price it is definitely a steal. The instruments sound louder and slightly clear and soundstage is further expanded. Even a 32 ohm headphone benefits from amping. I am currently using earbuds. Mileage may vary due to different components in the amp especially the chip inside it as well as its design. They are generally good. But the disadvantage I see is it kind of change the sound. It happens to all amps though.

Alright awesome! I hope you can make a wonderful decision on which headphones work best for you :).

I think I am going to try a cmoy amp then. If you spent euros, does that mean your in Europe also?

i'll visit the store someday with my friends if possible..probably gonna save up money to buy it..though i think i've got enough money for it now lol. i just need to consider buying it or not..and i need to get some friends to follow me :)

i'll visit the store someday with my friends if possible..probably gonna save up money to buy it..though i think i've got enough money for it now lol. i just need to consider buying it or not..and i need to get some friends to follow me :D

Nice :syc6:. I hope you can find it and get it too :).

I'm assuming you're into music production. Amirite?

Anyways, how much did you get your headphones for? Can't afford studio monitors at the moment so I'm looking for good quality reference headphones for mixing. I don't have a recording studio of my own yet, but if ever I do need to rush a certain project, I bring the session files at home. Only problem is that the headphones I use at home are kinda bassy so I'm looking for good quality reference headphones.

EDIT:

Stupid me not reading the other replies. 70 Euros? Hmm, not bad I guess. But since these are supposedly studio headphones, don't you think they're not really for gaming? Assuming it has close to a flat frequency curve.:syc6:

Edited by Jet

I'm assuming you're into music production. Amirite?

Anyways, how much did you get your headphones for? Can't afford studio monitors at the moment so I'm looking for good quality reference headphones for mixing. I don't have a recording studio of my own yet, but if ever I do need to rush a certain project, I bring the session files at home. Only problem is that the headphones I use at home are kinda bassy so I'm looking for good quality reference headphones.

EDIT:

Stupid me not reading the other replies. 70 Euros? Hmm, not bad I guess. But since these are supposedly studio headphones, don't you think they're not really for gaming? Assuming it has close to a flat frequency curve.:)

Yeps ^^.

Yeah, normally they aren't for gaming, BUT the 3D imaging and soundstage are impressive for a closed headphone that they can be used for gaming if you just adjust the EQ frequencies in the bass range and mids, and cut down the higher frequencies to your liking.

I report that I was able to hear my enemy behind the wall and exactly which direction he was walking. It ended up with him filled with lead :thumbup:(CS:S and COD4 games). Pretty much a universal headphone with a "flat response".

Edited by KokoroBeach

Yeps ^^.

Yeah, normally they aren't for gaming, BUT the 3D imaging and soundstage are impressive for a closed headphone that they can be used for gaming if you just adjust the EQ frequencies in the bass range and mids, and cut down the higher frequencies to your liking.

I report that I was able to hear my enemy behind the wall and exactly which direction he was walking. It ended up with him filled with lead :D(CS:S and COD4 games). Pretty much a universal headphone with a "flat response".

Have you tried using the cans for mixing a band recording? How'd they fare?

Edited by Jet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

argh, its a shame i bought a razor headphone already=(

If nt i might this 1... I kinda like the maroon colour. Looks cool. wondering whetever it will sound good wif games?

Edited by Crusnik

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Just bought these headphones too. I am not a music producer or anything, just a general end user. I was looking for a pair of good headphones for music and to have some sort of privacy and noise cancellation as i share my room. Hence, I pretty much don't know about headphones, but I will just give my most direct thoughts regarding this.

I was reading reviews online and it seems equation rp-21 headphones has its own cult following and is pretty much a solid choice for an affordable pair of headphones.

What to Expect

Once you start playing music from high quality files, you will start to hear stuff u don't really hear from your usual speakers. All the details and instruments come out and all can be clearly heard. This is probably the strongest point about the headphones. Voice clarity is good, bass and midrange are also good.

The earphones make you feel you can turn them up real loud without your ears bursting.. I wouldn't recommend that you try though..

It is quite comfortable even on the 1st day to use, even for someone like me who isn't bestowed with a small head like Hammie.

It looks big. So if you want to bring it out... get ready for some people to stare..I am keeping mine at home :sweatdrop:

Driving the headphones. Basically it is pretty easy to drive without amplifier. I plugged into my phone (LG optimus one) and bass was still moderately solid. You can also plug them into the headphone jack on your speakers, but I won't recommended to plug direct to audio out.

Build quality is Okay. Not luxurious but its decent IMO.

About live performances - If you have a high quality live performance, prepare to hear things like out of tune & cracking. This headphone's purpose was made so that people can hear any flaws. However, you will also pick up some random fangirl's scream. :thumbup: Note that because of Open mics, there tend to be alot of noise in live performances.

What Not to Expect

A great surround sound type headphone (giving a good depth of sound that 2.1 speakers dont do). This is not it. Some earphones can achieve that but not this as this is a tracking headphone meaning people want to hear what has been recorded exactly.

Any differences in quality if your source quality is not good in the first place.

Well I ll add more later on after I used it more... Hehe. So far I am extremely happy about the purchase.

Edited by tinaomina