Lead Vocal vs Main Vocal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you go by the official profile.

Seungyeon is the main

and Gyuri is the lead.

in my understanding... main vocalist means you get a large portion of the song lyrics wise.. thats including harmonizing, ad-lib and stuff.

while the Lead usually follows the main and also have bigger portion of the song.. and they usually sing louder to compensate the main vocal.. like in harmonizing part usually the lead and the main sing a bit louder than the other.

but with Kara it's hard to go by the official profile since the trio GyulHamCole are really on par with each other.

if you listen to their songs you wouldn't know who's main or whos's lead cuz it seems like every song has different leads and mains and thats what make Kara unique to the other girl groups..

like the others, their main usually shines..

example:

T-ara - Soyeon

4Minute - Gayoon

SNSD- Taeyeon

After School -Raina/Jung Ah

and so on... lol

ill give Gyuri the edge when it comes to hitting the high notes tho.. but ill give Ham the edge when it comes to soft/smooth vocals and nicole when it comes to high pitched vocals.

i hope it made sense. lol

wow i dont even realise that gyuri is lead and seungyeon is main.

no wonder i hear more of them than the other members.

nicole does the rapping and some parts :)!!! WOOO!

i feel sorry for jiyoung though, i dont hear her sing alot in the songs :P

thanks kim for explaining this to a noob like me :)

• 2 weeks later...

For what I know, main vocal is the 1 who sing the most, as they "build" the main melody of songs, when lead vocal is the 1 who hold responsibility for all special parts (high notes in chorus for example)

Though i can't see a lot of differences in Kara, all of them sing frequently

• 3 weeks later...

^ not THAT frequently, hara doesnt have many lines...

but that's bcos she's more of a dancer than singer. but her voice is still lovely!! :D

lol idk why after seeing this post makes me remember 'rock u'

harajing just got 2 lines in that song

hahaha yeah its because they are still new :P

Kara is a group that doesn't have quite the clear cut distinction of Lead vs Main vs sub vocalist as a lot of other groups do. Usually the main vocalist can be identified as the one who does the ad libs, but since GyulHamCole all take turns doing ad libs (Ham/Cole for Mister, Gyul/Cole for Lupin, Gyul for Wanna) it doesn't really matter. Nicole's labeled just a 'vocalist' but she's actually been doing more ad libs than the other members.

Waiting for Jing to join the crowd?

I can distinguish the two terms vaguely now lol but those roles aint clearly defined in Kara cos they keep switching it to suitably match to different songs. This is another point I like about Kara's songs, everyone deserves equal spotlights on stage. I like the fact that Jing is given more chances lately as well.

i agree! GyulHamCole are the core vocalists of the group. i think depending on the song and melody, the three of them take turn being lead or main vocals. Although Nicole is officially the group's rapper, i think many fans prefer her to sing than rap coz on many ocassions, Cole has shown that she can sing very well especially songs that need strong vocals -- look at their cover of Adult Ceremony.

Whereas Gyuri seems to handle high notes pretty well and SY rarely fail to impress with her melodious solo parts. Jiyoung has also been recently assigned more lines and with more training and experience, she will join her unnies too :)

Kara is a group that doesn't have quite the clear cut distinction of Lead vs Main vs sub vocalist as a lot of other groups do. Usually the main vocalist can be identified as the one who does the ad libs, but since GyulHamCole all take turns doing ad libs (Ham/Cole for Mister, Gyul/Cole for Lupin, Gyul for Wanna) it doesn't really matter. Nicole's labeled just a 'vocalist' but she's actually been doing more ad libs than the other members.

Waiting for Jing to join the crowd?