[2010.10.06] Kara with new Hallyu milestone

lvalue

Kara with new Hallyu milestone, "We won't lose our identity as Korean singers"

Girl group Kara reached a new milestone in Hallyu history. Their album 'KARA BEST 2007~2010', released on 29th of the last month, has placed in the second place in the Japanese Oricon chart. Now it isn't such a feat to enter the Oricon chart as numerous other Korean singers had already done that, but this time it's special. What's special is that all the 12 songs in the album are in Korean, not translated to Japanese. What's more encouraging is that it's only two months since their actual promotion in Japan has started.

It's what even Boa and DBSK couldn't have achieved.

There are a lot of singers that have been successful in Japan, such as Boa, DBSK, and SS501. But one thing missing from them all is that they all did it with the songs translated and adapted to Japan, under complete localization strategies. There were some rare cases in which they released albums in Korean language but they all were for limited promotinal purposes and their sales were low. Most of them had gone through rookie stages there, so it was also difficult to tell if they were Japanese or Hallyu singers even if they accomplished top star statuses.

But Kara is different. This Korean album contains their hit songs since their debut in Korea such as 'Honey', 'Mr', and 'Lupin', in their original forms. Just like here in Korea, albums in foreign languages by foreign singers have been not so successful in Japanese market. But Kara has sold more than 51,000 albums, all in Korean language, in just a week and is ranked at no. 2 position. This is a first for an Asian girl band.

172859000001.jpg

Records after records, 'attracted 150 thousands in just two months'

What's more surprising is that they have done this in just two months' time. Kara began its first steps in Japan in October with Oricon 5th ranking. They made a splendid debut with more than 29 thousands of sales in its debut week with the single 'Mr'. Their Bluray disk 'KARA VACATION' won the first position in Idol Image section. All their contents are making records on release.

Kara themselves are surprised too. Director Yoon Hong-Gwan at their management firm DSP media said that it's such an "unexpected success" but analyzed the cause of this success such that: "their singing and dancing skills, not seen from their Japanese counterparts, were essential." The firm said that Kara's paid Japanese fan club members are reaching 3000, and estimated the potential fans up to 150 thousands. It's not just the scale: what's encouraging is that the ratio of young females in the fandom are high.

"We won't lose our identity as Korean singers"

Kara's future albums won't be biased towards the translated and adapted songs only either. Director Yoon said that "It's still too early to make it with 100% Korean songs, but we'll surely make the ratio higher when we have made ourselves more known there," and added "we'd like to keep our identity as Korean singers no matter how popular we get there."

Kara is preparing a new album to be released in the beginning of November in Japan. They're scheduled to release a new song not yet released in Korea, but they plan to do it with all Korean composers and staffs. Their year-ends this year will probably be their busiest yet, as they're preparing to release a new album in Korea also and will be promoting these albums in both Korea and Japan afterward.

172925000001.jpg

Translated by lvalue@Karaholic

Source: Economy Today

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAHHHHHH!!!!! Our girls are gonna be busy! But being busy = MORE SUCCESS!!! :thumbup:

I'm so proud of the girls! YAY!!! KARA will be making a comeback in Korea as well! I can't wait!

edit: thank you so much for translating!!! you're awesome!

Edited by KaraNice

Our girls are simply too amazing....

Thinking back a couple years ago when they were on the verge of disbanding and were very much unknown to the masses, and then to achieve so much success (and more to come too!) today, is really heart-warming.

Kara hwaitinnggg~~~!!

The firm said that Kara's paid Japanese fan club members are reaching 3000, and estimated the potential fans up to 150 thousands. It's not just the scale: what's encouraging is that the ratio of young females in the fandom are high.

150 K~~ That's three times bigger than their number of Daum Cafe in Korea.

But what I respect is they don't forget where they come from and still give full commitment as a representative for Korea..

They really make me proud. :)

Thanks for translating, @Ivalue. You have done a great translation~

Thanks so much for the translation :D Kara's success in Japan, I'm just amazed and so happy. I mean, the time there were news that they're debuting in Japan, I was not expecting this kind of success, they have broken so many records already and they're just starting, their popularity in Japan is continuing to grow, I just hope more Japanese people get to know and support them :D November is going to be a very busy month, I just hope the girls will stay healthy since they're going to promote in both Korea and Japan at the same time.

this is so daebak!

seriously it's not actually been heard of in other countries as well i mean just here in the philippines many of the artists who debut in other countries either have english songs and/or translated songs fit to whee they debuted and not a single song is in their mother tongue, this is why i love KARA they never loose sight of where they came from and always remain true to their image and identity.

KARA JJANG! Go Conquer the Japanese Music industry, then come to the Philippines hehe :P

Thank you sooo much for the translation. Now that it is pointed out like that, it is really amazing that they are able to hit such a high position like #2 on the Oricon weekly with a completely Korean language album.

I really love the picture you've used for the article. I believe this is one of their wins for Lupin? It really shows how much they love and care for each other and its so sweet to see :D

we cants denied that dbsk , ss501 open the door for the korean hallyu wave in japan...

the girls deserve this success in jpaan they worked so hard...i hope it continue to be like that and more...

more power to the girls ... :thumbup:

how can i say? i just love them so much!!! kara jjang!!! :thumbup: japan so lucky that kara go there... spread the love around the world... i read it again and again because i want to be apart of it!! :eyelove: thanks for sharing this. kara daebak!! saranghamida!!! :wub::eyelove:

this is such a great article to read...thanks for translating lvalue

yeah what make reach 2nd Oricon Weekly special is the whole song was in Korean!!!

...hope the company will not spoiled by the success and instead make it a challenge for the next one :thumbup1:

150 K~~ That's three times bigger than their number of Daum Cafe in Korea.

But what I respect is they don't forget where they come from and still give full commitment as a representative for Korea..

They really make me proud. :)

Thanks for translating, @Ivalue. You have done a great translation~

hmmm...fanclub members and potential fans.

In japan, KARA has 3,000 official fanclub members but those who know/somehow support them is estimated to be 150K.

In korea, KARA has 55K+ official fanclub members and those who know/somehow support them is surely a lot bigger :thumbup:

thx for translation lvalue! :thumbup1:

wow, this is a really high praise written article for our gals

i glad that korean media has recognize KARA achievement in japan :wub:

The firm said that Kara's paid Japanese fan club members are reaching 3000, and estimated the potential fans up to 150 thousands. It's not just the scale: what's encouraging is that the ratio of young females in the fandom are high.

hmmm...an really encouraging statistic and prediction obtain,

i guess this is one of the reason why dsp hav decided to promote kara in japan n korea at the same time.

i do hope that they take the gals health into account in their plan

Director Yoon said that "It's still too early to make it with 100% Korean songs, but we'll surely make the ratio higher when we have made ourselves more known there," and added "we'd like to keep our identity as Korean singers no matter how popular we get there."

interesting statement from dsp director,

before i become a kamilia,

i did read somewhere saying kara music alrdy has jpop feel in it,

with the advantage of this, im pretty sure sooner or later japan industry will accept their music even if it is 100% in Korean.

and if this has really archive in the future,

i can see that it will benefit/prolong the gals career as singer in the industry :thumbup1:

kara's future looks bright,

but, both dsp n umj's marketing and management skill play a big role in this plan,

i hope they take good care of our gals n take their career as seriously as their own! ^_^

and how could i nearly forgot abt this "KARA JIANG!!!" :lol: :lol: