[2010.10.08] Kara vs. AKB48, another round of Korea vs. Japan match following the women's football

lvalue

Various presses, both local and foreign, showing great interests in Korean vs. Japanese girl group competition

Following the announcement of the 2nd lineup of 2010 Asian Song Festival, various presses, both local and foreign, are showing growing interests in the competition between 'Kara', the Korean girl group currently doing great in Japan, and 'AKB48', representative of Japanese girl groups.

Major Japanese media including Nihon TV and Mainichi shimbun simultaneously reported that both Kara and AKB48 would appear on the same stage at 2010 Asian Song Festival, to be held on coming 23rd at Seoul Olympics main stadium.

They introduced this festival as an "A match" in the music industry and reported that girl groups representative of both countries would compete fiercely with each other on stage, drawing attention to another round of Korea vs. Japan match following the recent one at the U17 women's world cup.

AKB48 (or Akiba48) is a girl group founded in 2005 under the motto of 'Idol you can meet everyday once you go a theatre", located in Akihabara, "The Heart of Tokyo's Electronics", as can be guessed from its name, consisting of over 40 members.

Its members are fluctuating and it sometimes does unit promotions in A,K, and B units. They are performing daily live sessions at their exclusive theatre AKB48 in Akihabara, Tokyo, and they have released over 350 original songs so far, including their recent single ‘ポニ─テ─ルとシュシュ’ released on last June, which ranked at the top spot of Oricon weekly chart.

They sold more than 500 thousands of its album in the first week, a first in 10 years since Morning Musme and their competences are all but proven by receiving the special award at the 51st Japanese Record Grandprix, as well as the 'Asian Recommendation' award at Mnet Asian Music Award, both in 2009.

They also proved recently that their popularity are as high as their members' numbers by successfully finishing their Saitama Aria tour.

And they are also famous for their unique way of choosing their 16 select members who will sing their new singles. Those members that sang their recent 17th single were picked by the fans' public vote, and the proceeding 'Vote Guidebook' with the profiles of all members enjoyed the first spot in the bestseller ranking in its first week of sale.

In particular, those members who will sing their 19th single due this December were picked by a 'rock scissors paper' competition, an unparalleled one of its kind held at Nipoon Budokan with 11 thousand fans watching and relay-broadcasted on 42 screens in 29 movie theatres in all around Japan that generated a lot of buzz then.

16 members of AKB48 are scheduled to participate in 2010 Asaian Song Festival, one of whom is Sashihara Rino(指原莉乃, 17) that won the rock scissors paper match with Oshima Yuko(大島優子, 21) who won the first place at the 2nd member selection competition.

Meanwhile, the popularity of Kara, its rival at the competition, was also proven by an incident on Aug 11, the day of their debut, where their 'guerilla concert' on Shibuya Tokya, which wasn't pre-announced, was cancelled in just three minutes due to more than 3,000 fans gathering at once.

That incident resulted in police being dispatched to keep accidents from happening and became the talk of the town at the time, and were finally reported in various Korean and Japanes news shows, as well as featured in various Japanese entertainment shows.

This and other successes of Korean singers in Japan, and the increased interests in 2010 Asaian Song Festival, naturally resulted in the growing interests in the competition between the singers from both countries at the festival.

But the 'Foundation for Exchanges Of Korean Cultural Industries' (hearafter the foundation) announced that the festival, greatest in scale in Asia, would be a uniting, rather than a competitive one where they'll form a cultural sympathy of 'One Asia' based on cultural exchanges and cooperations between Asian nations which will donate all of its income to help the children affected by the Pakistan flood.

Meanwhile, the theme song of 2010 Asian Song Festival, an Asian version of 'We are the World', is gathering expectations, being composed by the renowned composer Cho young Soo. He is one of the best composers in Korea, who has composed 52 songs in 6 years, including 'I was wise to love' by SG Wannabe, 'This horrible love' by Lee Soo Young, and 'Stories untold yet' by Lee Seung Gi and is already approved world-wide, as well as domestically.

In particular, he recently debuted successfully to the Japanese pop music market by composing the title track ‘Precious~you are the only place I can return to(Precious~君だけが僕の歸る場所)’ in the third Japanese single of SG wannabe, a popular Korean ballad group, which was placed on the Oricon chart on the day it released and is still enjoying its continued popularity so far.

The theme song of the festival, composed by Cho Young Soo, is an easy to sing along and cheerful one with his trademarked light feel in it.

Its main theme is that songs can spread the dream and hope to the whole world and it will be sung as the finale by all the best singers of the Asia.

2010 Asian Song Festival is co-hosted by the Foundation for Exchanges Of Korean Cultural Industries and the City of Seoul, under the support of Korean Ministry of Culture, Athletics, and Tourism and Korean Tour Corporation to help the cultural exchanges between Asian countries.

It began in 2004 with 9 teams from 7 Asian countries and are becoming the best pop music festival and the event for the cultural exchanges, and 14 best singers from 9 countries gathered and performed splendidly in 2009.

In this year, it well be held on Oct 23 at the Seoul Jamsil Olympics main stadium with top singers from Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand, and Malaysia, as well as from Korea.

Translated by lvalue@Karaholic

Source: Deajon City Journal

Meanwhile, the popularity of Kara, its rival at the competition, was also proven by an incident on Oct 11, the day of their debut, where their 'guerilla concert' on Shibuya Tokya, which wasn't pre-announced, was cancelled in just three minutes due to more than 3,000 fans gathering at once.

Translated by lvalue@Karaholic

Source: Deajon City Journal

Eh... you made a mistake with the date...

Wow! Asian version of We are the World! I can imagine KARA singing that :thumbup:

Ah, a friendly competition is good once in awhile.

Either way, I wish both groups luck and hope that the event goes smoothly~

Kara's been growing in terms of popularity, and it makes me so proud to see that they're even compared to AKB48 (a very strong group in Japan). :thumbup:

In all due respect,

suck on that, Sones.

/sryjusthadtosayit - no hard feelings!

over 40 members???really?

lol that's right. the "48" in "akb48" literally stands for the 48 members in the group. at first when i found this out, i was freaked out too :)

and anyways, i rly hope that kara and akb48 can be good friends!!!!!!

and that they dont see it as a competition (like this article :sweatdrop: ) but rather as an excellent opportunity to build strong ties with each other.

kara and akb48 jjang!!!!!!

cant w8 for the concert!!!! <333

i hope the world won't have the competition between girl groups from korea & japan or any group from different countries foremost on their minds but the main objective of this big musical performance gathering, for charity to raise funds for all poor & unfortunate children.

the article is long o_O lol and we only have this for kara :P

Meanwhile, the popularity of Kara, its rival at the competition, was also proven by an incident on Aug 11, the day of their debut, where their 'guerilla concert' on Shibuya Tokya, which wasn't pre-announced, was cancelled in just three minutes due to more than 3,000 fans gathering at once.

ty for sharing ivalue :)

eric, yeah, thanks for reminding lol. 48 vs 5 is unfair!! :P

Thanks Ivalue for sharing and translating this long piece of news we all really appreciate it! :)

I don't think Kara and AKB48 see themselves as rivals since some of AKB48 members are fans of our girls!

Looking forward to watching this....

The frontgirl of akb48,Atsuko Maeda,really likes kara. She bought Mister and has the rock u mv on her ipod. LOL,she was even jealous when another member,Kojima Haruna,got to meet Kara. Hopefully this means that they can become friends! :thumbup:

go kara! =) i never really saw the other group, so i can't really say anything about them. but i don't think it's really gonna be a competition. still, i'll rooting for kara! i'm sure they'll be just fine even though that group has over 40 members XD well 11 of them are coming...but still! go kara! :D:D:D