Kara pawned everyone in Japan!!!

r4dic4l

Hi kamilias! Just went to the homepage of allkpop and saw this huge news. As we all know Kara is doing exceedingly well in Japan. But how well, precisely? Well, the link below will tell you all. :D

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/12/kara-and-snsd-gained-revenues-of-15-4m-usd-and-10-3m-usd-respectively-in-japan

Gosh they pawned so hard and kicked asses in Japan! xD

The bad side here is that they'll probably stay in Japan longer 'cause of their success, and not go to other countries (read: my country ;P) and the rest of the world will have to wait in vain for them T___T

But still, all the best Kara! <3

Now that they've taken Japan by storm, who will be the next VICTIM? ;D

i don't really care whether they will visit my country or not, as long as they're successful and enjoy their activities, that's enough for me.

i don't want them to be so bold and trying to expand their music into other countries such as US, and then fail.

so i'd say the next victim is still Japanese cos they'll shake Japan even more. :)

They've done really well in japan, but there is still more ground to be gained before anyone can truly say they are top artists in Japan. Japan's one of the few places left where you can still sell a million copies in one country. They need to solidify their japanese fanbase before they try to venture to other countries. The general public in Japan is too fickle to leave it now.

i agree, there're still a lot of space in japan market to cover. dsp & umj should take the momentum going forward. so probably the next victim in taiwan or china? but after they (kara) pick up the language.

• 3 weeks later...

They've done really well in japan, but there is still more ground to be gained before anyone can truly say they are top artists in Japan. Japan's one of the few places left where you can still sell a million copies in one country. They need to solidify their japanese fanbase before they try to venture to other countries. The general public in Japan is too fickle to leave it now.

Yeah, I agree. It's either "make or break" when you're in the music industry so having a firm foundation (not just having a large fanbase) would be essential.

I think focusing on Korea and Japan only, rather than internationally, would be ideal. Due to the cultural differences, achieving success in English countries (Eg. US & UK) would be very difficult and vice versa.

Philippines!

KARA! Please pawn also everyone here in the Philippines! :frustrated:

(By reading that, I think I sounded kinda rude :confused: )

LOL!!!

You guys seen the article about albums sold in Korea? Kara placed 10th. You think they should start going back to Korea more often?

Many korean girl groups are planning to enter the japanese market next year. KARA should stick with Japan and establish dominance first. Girl's Day sold over 250k copies right? It would be great if their Japanese release could top 300k. Hopefully KARA's success in Japan will get them more appreciation back in Korea as well.

Competing against SNSD in Japan, I didn't think they were going to take a lot of awards but I still believed in them and I was so happy to see that they beat many records from past artists (BoA and DBSK). KARA truly is the best!

• 11 months later...

I agree! I don't think Kara needs to venture into the US/Western market. Like AKB48 do fine with just Japan alone, I think if Kara keep working and continues to gain more ground in both Korea and Japan, then they will be set. They definitely have a substantially sized Chinese/Taiwanese fan-base, but I still think they need one more year to continue to solidify themselves in Korea as well as in Japan before they head off into China/Taiwan. I'd say if not a full years wait, at least half a year.

I don't think Kara needs to be recognized as a Japanese group so much as they just need to become more mainstream in Japan. Because Korea already lumped them in with the Hallyu wave, even though Kara didn't go to Japan as a result of the Hallyu wave and were instead basically invited over, it's going to be hard for them to shed the "Korean/K-pop" group image. Especially since with every new Korean group, the media relates it back to the Hallyu wave and as result, somehow, someway back to Kara; I think at this point it is easier to just become mainstream and to just be KARA, regardless of ethnicity, then to worry about becoming a "J-pop" group.

I think that DSP/KARA should let other groups go to the US/West. Let Kara stay in Asia(mainly Japan and Korea + potentially Taiwan and China) and solidify a larger fan-base there. They don't need the US/West to be successful. Like others have mentioned, there is still more ground to be covered in Japan, Kara can still become even more successful there. Also, they can still cover more ground in Korea too. Keep chasing and working towards the title of #1 group; the only way they stand a chance of getting it is to work at it. From then on I think they should stop once they have successfully expanded into Taiwan/China which seems to be the next step since they have signed with Warner Music Taiwan. It's not good to spread yourself too thin. 4 countries is good enough. Kara can have concerts in Singapore/Philippines/Malaysia/Thailand but I don't think there is a need for them to formally debut there.

Overall I think KARA is headed in a good direction. They might not have grandiose plans such as US debut and things like that, but honestly those things are unnecessary and fronts by big companies trying to prove just how much "global appeal" their artist have, when the reality is that those people listening to K-pop are a small niche and not at all substantial enough to put them at the level of Beyonce or some other really big western star. I think it's better for KARA to sell millions of albums throughout their career in Japan+Korea and to be recognized in those countries where people actually care about them, then to try and prove a non-existent point by going to the west.

Their recent success in Japan is so awesome! so proud of them<3 i'm so so so happy to be a kamilia ^_^ hehe KARA's THE BEST!

btw, i know that kara's contract with umj is close to its end since they released super girl... are they staying with umj? or are they signing with a new company? anyone know about this?

anyways, yeah i agree with how kara shouldn't rush to venture into other markets (US/Europe etc.)! I think they should continue in Japan and maybe target other asian countries (china maybe?)...I know they have a very strong fanbase in Japan right now, but it doesn't hurt to establish an even bigger one, right? :D

Edited by xstrawberriesx

• 1 month later...

It's great that they're successful in Japan, but they still need to work on their presence in Korea too, just from watching random shows, you can see that Kara still doesn't come as quickly to mind as other groups like SNSD, etc. You can see from when they have MC's guess which kpop group they have as guests that Kara is barely mentioned.

Or maybe i'm just reading too much into too little. :P

• 4 months later...

I really do hope that the girls will make their debut in the United States real soon because I want the girls to gain lots and lots and lots more fans there and I also want everyone in America to give these five girls a chance and then instantly start to like them. I absolutely don't have any worries or concerns for the girls at all. I just hope that KARA will plan on making an American debut soon and I shall wait to find out if the girls are really going to make a US debut. And one more thing, just like I do with other girl groups such as Girls' Generation, Girl's Day, SISTAR and Wonder Girls, I always have strong faith in KARA and I do hope that they will get a very huge opportunity to go global

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...