[2010.12.20] Newcomer sales topped by KARA and SNSD, K-POP Domination

xichigo

2h7gnt3.jpg

Showcasing the power of this year's remarkable rise of Korean girl groups that debuted in Japan, the newcomer department of 43rd Oricon Annual Ranking (2010) is topped by KARA and SNSD, who achieved No.1 and No.2, respectively.

KARA, the 5-membered girl group that debuted in August and captured the attention of the public with the "hip dance," has released two singles, "Mister" and "Jumping," five albums, including the Korean greatest hits album, "KARA BEST 2007-2010" and their first original Japanese album, "GIRLS TALK," as well as one DVD, totaling to eight releases this year. These releases have generated a total revenue of 1.3 bilion yen this year.

On the other hand, SNSD, who debuted in September and are known for their beautiful legs and synchronized dancing, released two singles, "GENIE" and "Gee," one DVD, "New Beginning of Girls' Generation," and six Korean albums for a total of nine works. They generated 8.8 hundred million yen of revenue this year.

In the male-fan- and cuteness-centric domestic idol scene, the spot of idols that are admired by women of the same generation is vacant in the recent years. This vacancy is now fulfilled by K-pop girl groups, who are characterized as having good visual styles as well as intense choreographies and have achieved outstanding sales among all newcomers this year.

Ranking of Newcomer Artistes by Sales

No.1 1.3 billion Yen KARA (493k copies of releases sold in total)

No.2 8.8 hundred million yen SNSD (380k copies of releases sold in total)

No.3 1.3 hundred million yen WEAVER (83k copies of releases sold in total)

Data collection period: 2009/12/28 to 2010/12/20

The sales include releases such as singles, albums, music DVDs, and music blu-ray discs.

Tip off: atl2006 and MizuiroKaze13

Translated by: xichigo@Karaholic

Source: ORICON

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So proud of Kara for all their success they have gotten in Japan, they definitely deserve it for all the non-stop hard work they have been putting in.

I'm so amazed at how much they made in such a short time, Girls talk selling over 100k in its first week, Jumping almost selling 100k in a month and 100k in digital downloads, Mister and Best album having great spots on the yearly charts.

It all so amazing in such a short amount of time, and their careers in Japan have just started.

I still remember when i was just getting into Kara and now they are finally getting what they deserve, I hope they continue to make great music and DSP steps their game up since Kara is now starting to become one of the best in Asia.

Edited by atl2006

Wow I can't believe, even thought KARA release less things then SNSD, they manage to outsell them. That is a shocking, ususally it always SNSD on top of KARA. This time it the other way around. They defintely deserve that newcomer award, so we can hope for a newcomer award in japan, and maybe more. I can't believe that they sold about 1.3 billion yen, that like wow. plus sell almost 500 copies, they defintely cause a storm. DSP made a right decided in debut KARA with mister. I hoping for more success to come for KARA, and with sells of KARA album and sells it may hit 1000 copies. Hopefully conquer japan, since KARA can't conquer korea, conquer japan. They are defintely the leader of the korean wave in japan. Well for the girls group

Edited by kimngocnguyen06

Gotta love KARA, baby!~

Man, in the end, hard work really pays off BUT this is just the beginning for them. (:

KARA's got more great things coming to them.~

I had seen many negative comments about KARA by sour haters but I can always gladly say:

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall"

And I noticed that karma is mysteriously working among them or their idols.

-I'm not mentioning names, so don't get fired up ;)-

KARA is

Oh gosh so much Informations! Anywayz.. I'm really proud of Kara! They had done lots of things and lots of improvements! I hope they can keep itup! Kara Fighting! and Wow! They in a shoe.. I wonder how they all reacted to those huge shoesXD

lol i still remember when wang biho said(joked) "celebrate now,because snsd is coming soon" to hara >< even tho he's a kara/seungyeon fan and it was part of his job,i want him to eat his words cause look who's at the top now(not literally 'top' cause i know kara still has a long way to go in japan,but this is still an awesome achievement :P)

^

A lot of people will have to eat their words now. :tongue:

KARA's achievement in Japan is nothing short of wonderful. It reflects a lot of hard work on their part.

So proud of these Girls!!!!

They deserve every little bit of their well earned fame. :thumbup:

KARA is really getting it done in Japan.. now time to conquer the motherland :)

agreed. and i want their 3rd korean LP to come out - so sick of minis :sweatdrop:

with all this success, all i can say is that kara's finally receiving recognition for all their hard work. congratulations, the best nikcuf 5, and like joss said, this is only the beginning. yay go kara~~~!!! :tongue:

CON CON CONGRATS! Girls ahhh... !!! hope they get the amount they deserve, so they can buy stuff they like xD

hope DSP promote them even better now knowing their potential!!!!

<3 <3 <3 KARA

I'm so proud of my girls.

I was tired to see SNSD always on top. Not that I don't love SNSD, it's just that I prefer KARA. SNSD already won a lot this year.

They are my two favourite girl groups. I never asked myself which one is my favourite until recently.

^I appreciate SNSD too (well, 2 out of 9 members really), and I don't want to do an unnecessary a is better then b, but I'm so happy that Kara has made it on top for once. And while this may not have been a competition, Kara's achievements have always been unfairly underlooked by others. It just seemed that if Kara had been #2, that would have only led some people to continuously overlook Kara's achievements and say that Kara can't make it to the top or that they'll always be behind.

Kara has put in tons of effort and I'm glad that Kara gets to be acknowledged for that. I really can't wait to see how their Japan activities will turn out to be in 2011 and what their next song will be.

Edited by Biscuit

I'm really happy course finally KARA above Snsd. Not that i hate snsd... They just always on the top. I'm tired already.

Amazing! KARA Daebak! I know they gonna be successful in Japan. Next year, i hope they continue be a leader of girlgroup in Japan. :D

You know i always knew kara was the best and this only proves it!!! but why don't they get the greater attention they deserve!! Whenever theres an article about kara's success in japan for some reason snsd has to mentioned too....no hate really, it just gets annoying!

It's been said a lot now, but I'm going to have to say it too - glad KARA won over SNSD. Love Soshi, but they've had their share of success this year, and KARA has put in so much effort to their Japanese promotions. I'm just so glad it's all paying off! They get to shine. :] I hope this continues well into the future!

I don't even know how to explain how proud I am right now.

FINALLY our girls our being fully appreciated.

I know it's kind of mean to be happy that snsd lost but Kara deserves this more.

I like both groups (I love kara) and I have to admit that kara worked harder in japan (unbiased fact).

They actually know the language and tried really hard.

I am so happy they are doing well and hopefully they will keep on doing well,

one more thing....DSP BETTER TREAT OUR GIRLS BETTER NOW OR ELSE....<does scary facial expression while waving fist in the air>

KAMILIA'S REJOICE ^^

(taking out their personalities) though in different labels, they are both under umj. besides the difference in promotion strategies, i'm not sure which delivered or has the most significant impact?

kara is already known in japan due to honey etc or

first to debut in japan or

mister.

probably a combination of all the factors. anyway i'm really looking forward to 2011 & beyond. quoting joss's, it's only the beginning.

& thanks for translating.