KARA and DSP no more?

team kara

My feeling is that the 3 girls parents saw the Japan debut as a way to make a landfall amount of money. However, music business is more complicated than that. If DSP is to be trusted, each girls made around 300,000 dollars (1.5 mil collectively)last year and stand to make 500,000 dollars this year (2.5 mil collectively). Not too long ago I read a article about how much an average celebrity earns a year in Korea. Some of the celebrities we see in dramas or on music programs earn less than the average office worker in Korea. Average office workers earn little more than $25,000 per year. Korean actors and actresses earn about $33,000 per year. Average singers in Korea earn about $25,000 per year, and models earn only $10,000 per year. Of course there are exceptions...

Only a few years ago Kara was a fledgling group on the verge of disbanding. It was only after a group and image makeover that the Kara became what they are now... Little over a year ago no one even knew who Jiyong and Hara was... I don't really know who is right or wrong. However, I have to question... How much is enough?

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who is telling the truth about how much money KARA was paid, DSP is going to end up looking bad. While the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, let's take a look at both extremes. If Landmark is telling the truth and KARA only received $860 for Lupin promotions, then people will claim injustice that the members were paid so little. If DSP is telling the truth and KARA was paid $300k, that doesn't let them off the hook. $300k is a lot of money, and most people would put up with a lot of adversity to make that kind of money. If DSP indeed paid KARA that much, and yet STILL Ham-Cole-Jing wanted to leave the company then I can't even imagine what sort of suffering the girls went through.

Lawyers says between DSP and KARA "Their relationship has been destroyed to the point that it could never be restored again"

T________T

omigawd. just killed me after reading this.. :dead:

KARA only received $860 <<<<< what the??? so little?!?!

loveholic is super right.

the parents shouldn't have been making actions toward dsp... making the situation worse!

waaahhh.. why gyul & hara left out????

if only all of them could leave dsp together..

am i thinking it right???? :(

hope everything will be cleared..

i feel frustrated like only sitting all here in front of the pc waiting for another news...

worse, i became a kamilia just with all these crisis happening~ :gemcry:

all i can do is hope & believe in them~ :optimistic:

hwaiting!!!!!!!!!!!! :determined:

Edited by Seru-chan

^ LOL. XD Relax, honey. Right after Landmark said that, Hara canceled her contract termination. That just shows how overconfident Landmark were, only for it to blow up in their faces, and since then, they've been looking worse and worse... The parents really should've gotten better lawyers before starting the lawsuit. -_-

And the money claim is too ridiculous to be believable. That's what Landmark keeps doing, throwing out claims. After DSP provides evidence against it and dismisses them, Landmark just throws out new claims instead of addressing the response.

Edited by loveholic

^ LOL. XD Relax, honey. Right after Landmark said that, Hara canceled her contract termination. That just shows how overconfident Landmark were, only for it to blow up in their faces, and since then, they've been looking worse and worse... The parents really should've gotten better lawyers before starting the lawsuit. -_-

And the money claim is too ridiculous to be believable. That's what Landmark keeps doing, throwing out claims. After DSP provides evidence against it and dismisses them, Landmark just throws out new claims instead of addressing the response.

ahaha.. xD i'm too much pressured. LOL.

well anyway, thanks to all your explanations... i still have to understand all these things better.. and to read more articles.. and opinions.. thanks..! ^^

Edited by Seru-chan

whatever outcome, damage has been done but it's up to us, kamilias to keep to the minimum. in what roles does each of the girls play, we will never know because seriously the whole truth won't be told publicly. it's critical to learn from this & move forward to fulfil their dream doing what they love & repaying fans. but ultimately the most important is the relationship between them. i want to see more than working partnership. let say they respect each other opinion but just come together because of contract & obligation, the original feel has lost. it's inevitable & hurting to accept everyone is going seperate way at the end of the day but so soon? the request to terminate contract has a devastating crash effect on me, it saddens me a lot. it invalidates my belief in them.

It's not always rainbows and butterflies

It's compromise that moves us along~

The damage has been done, but damage comes with the storm and once it passes, if there are still trees that haven't been struck by lightning and the sun can still dry up the rain and grass can still grow, there is hope. Only until the very last Kamilia turns their back on our girls, Kara will be able to recover.

Edited by loveholic

I don't know who is right or wrong. I am just so sick and tired from worrying whether Kara will still perform or not in future. Gyuri apologised to us for the worry caused. But looks like she can't do anything about the parents who want to sue. Poor Gyuri! She must be suffering silently inside as the leader. I feel for her..

Things have turned out this way, which all of us does not want it to become.

Like all of you out there, it just hurts as much to see them this way.

The fact that all of us are voicing out our opinions and thoughts shows that we care very much for the gals.

Wonder how are they right now...the thought of it just makes me emotional.

But let us all be strong.

Whatever the outcome,

KARA, We're With You! (at least for me, it always was and always will be :) )

co.jpg?t=1297872905

Edited by winszip

Well it's Feb 17th in Korea and the press conference that was supposed to happen hasn't. This could be a good sign that some progress has been made in the talks between DSP and Landmark. Perhaps the KSA president mediating the negotiations (Tae Jin Ah is his name I think?) had a strong influence. For now we just have to hope that no news is good news.

Im waiting for the press conference too...but didt have any latest news until now..hope that both parties will reach an agreement that will make sure KARA having a gd future ... :thumbup:

Edited by Zunwei

whatever outcome, damage has been done but it's up to us, kamilias to keep to the minimum. in what roles does each of the girls play, we will never know because seriously the whole truth won't be told publicly. it's critical to learn from this & move forward to fulfil their dream doing what they love & repaying fans. but ultimately the most important is the relationship between them. i want to see more than working partnership. let say they respect each other opinion but just come together because of contract & obligation, the original feel has lost. it's inevitable & hurting to accept everyone is going seperate way at the end of the day but so soon? the request to terminate contract has a devastating crash effect on me, it saddens me a lot. it invalidates my belief in them.

The five girls have an uphill jouney in their hands.

So far I have resisted the idea that Seung Yeon,Nicole and Jiyoung have something to do with the lawsuit, but everytime I read the lawyers saying "we are doing this on behalf of the three members" I have to wonder, do people let others use their names if they are opposed to what they are saying? of course the answer is NO.

So, since we have never heard a word from them to the contrary I'm begining to think that they are indeed, either agreeing with this or actually promoting all these actions.

If this is the way it is, then they must be separation bet the members, at least on this issue.

I DO want to keep the faith in them, but the fact that I care for them demands answers. I'm just a fan, but there're probably some other fans who are starting to feel this way, and.. in the end performers do have to respond to the fans. They know that.

Yeah, this is tough love, but it's necessary. I do want the best for them, al FIVE of them.

They have to wake up from this nightmare and take control of the situation, otherwise they'll just be an asterik on music's history.

Regardless of who is telling the truth about how much money KARA was paid, DSP is going to end up looking bad. While the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, let's take a look at both extremes. If Landmark is telling the truth and KARA only received $860 for Lupin promotions, then people will claim injustice that the members were paid so little. If DSP is telling the truth and KARA was paid $300k, that doesn't let them off the hook. $300k is a lot of money, and most people would put up with a lot of adversity to make that kind of money. If DSP indeed paid KARA that much, and yet STILL Ham-Cole-Jing wanted to leave the company then I can't even imagine what sort of suffering the girls went through.

I don't think DSP will end up looking bad though if it is found out they(DSP) are telling the truth, I worried that SNJ will look bad...like with what you said, if they got paid , $300,000 not including CF's and other deals such as song uses and the seperate income from appearing on certain shows and such, then it's going to make them look greedy, because even Hara has supposedly stated that they were not suffering....idk but I'm not gonna just assume that "they must" have been suffering because if they were, Hara wouldn't have pulled out, but hey, thats just imo. I think it's gonna just make SNJ look greedy or something, and if they do leave who is gonna work with them??? no-one wants to work with pushy parents who maybe are greedy, and maybe their kids complain too much about things and are just as greedy? thats how companies think.

im really worried about the direction that this is going, but either way someone is lying, and DSP hasn't faulterd yet and they have got most of the korean public on thier side....

because even Hara has supposedly stated that they were not suffering....idk but I'm not gonna just assume that "they must" have been suffering because if they were, Hara wouldn't have pulled out, but hey, thats just imo

Well I would just like to point out that different people have different ideas of what constitutes 'suffering.' Some people are able to put up with adversity better than others. Perhaps Gyuri and Hara are ok with the way things are at DSP because they have tougher personalities, but that doesn't necessarily mean Ham-Cole-Jing don't have legitimate complaints. The reason I speculated that Ham-Cole-Jing must be going through other hardships other than money is precisely because I am leaning towards believing DSP, at least as far as the money issues go. Like I said, $300k is a lot of money and the lifespan of an idol is short. You don't just walk away from that kind of cash without good reason.

Edited by gyuriftw

You don't just walk away from that kind of cash without good reason.

You'd be surprised at what people will do without good reason...especially if they think greener pastres await elsewhere

anyways with this news about SY father basically blaming Gyuri, idk what to think right now...Gyuri is a bias of mine and I respect her ALOT!!! i think it was a childish statement, Gyuri can only do so much, and if she hardly knew what was going on, how can she help or stop it? The job of the leader isn't just to make sure everyone gets there way all the time, its to accept the fact that things don't always go as planned and to make sure that the other girls are aware of that and on the same page. I'm dissapointed in him. I can't believe they are willing to bring in Gyuri's leadership skills and try and damage her reputation to build a stronger case. People say he is just expressing his disspointment in her ability to communicate, but to me all that is saying is that he didn't think she was able to communicate well enough and so they filed a lawsuit, basically because of Gyuri's inability to communicate we decided to file a lawsuit...it sucks alot, I'm sorry but i think they wanted to continue with this lawsuit from the beginning, then the txt from "J" came out and it was better to just pretend to make amends with DSP...the fact that he says "the girls" makes me think that SNJ aren't the sitting ducks some peple make them out to be, obviously they are just as involved as the parents...seems like they had a problem with Gyuri and how she handled things and told there parents who agreed and decieded together to file suit....

^

Hmm. I think it was reported that he wasn't reffering to Gyuri at all when he made that statement, someone said that he was reffering to DSP's chairperson.

No unfortunately he was talking about Gyuri. It was ambiguous but he confirmed that today. He expressed his disappointment that Gyuri, as KARA's leader, wasn't better at communicating the problems the girls were having to their management. Thankfully, he is definitely NOT blaming Gyuri for the actual problems between SNJ and DSP, which is what the original tranlated article said.

I don't understand SY's dad but I guess we can chalk it up to a cultural thing in Korea. For one thing, even though Gyuri is the leader, Seungyeon is the same age as her and is basically the sub-leader of KARA. There's no reason why Seungyeon couldn't have brought up the girls' problems with DSP herself. Furthermore, the title of leader has meaning within the group but is essentially ceremonial at DSP. It's not like Gyuri has any actual power to do tell DSP to do anything. Given the girls' hectic schedules, I highly doubt Gyuri would have any time to discuss these matters with DSP even if she wanted to. Just my 2 cents.

You'd be surprised at what people will do without good reason...especially if they think greener pastres await elsewhere

Well then that is a gross miscalculation on their part IMO. If KARA splits up, SNJ is doomed in Korea. Just like with JYJ, SNJ will be blacklisted by the powers that be and will not be allowed to perform on music programs. But because the Cassie fanbase is so large, JYJ still sold lots of albums, whereas SNJ won't have that. SNJ can move to Japan fulltime, but while I do think they will find some measure of success, they won't come close to reaching the milestones they set as KARA.

No unfortunately he was talking about Gyuri. It was ambiguous but he confirmed that today. He expressed his disappointment that Gyuri, as KARA's leader, wasn't better at communicating the problems the girls were having to their management. Thankfully, he is definitely NOT blaming Gyuri for the actual problems between SNJ and DSP, which is what the original tranlated article said.

I don't understand SY's dad but I guess we can chalk it up to a cultural thing in Korea. For one thing, even though Gyuri is the leader, Seungyeon is the same age as her and is basically the sub-leader of KARA. There's no reason why Seungyeon couldn't have brought up the girls' problems with DSP herself. Furthermore, the title of leader has meaning within the group but is essentially ceremonial at DSP. It's not like Gyuri has any actual power to do tell DSP to do anything. Given the girls' hectic schedules, I highly doubt Gyuri would have any time to discuss these matters with DSP even if she wanted to. Just my 2 cents.

WOW. Thanks so much for the clarification. I just wish they stop talking so much to the press since it only darkens the whole situation.

Of course Gyuri doesn't have the power to push DSP to do anything, to think otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Well I was trying to inform you of the real statement and ended up being "informed". Thanks. Lol.

WOW. Thanks so much for the clarification. I just wish they stop talking so much to the press since it only darkens the whole situation.

You said it. Every time someone from the SNJ camp says something to the public nothing good comes out of it. I truly don't believe Seungyeon's dad had any ill intent when he talked to the reporters. As a parent, he must also be under incredible stress right now and just wanted to get stuff off his chest. As he is just a simple badass swordmaker, he probably didn't realize how the things he says will be blown up by the media. Nonetheless, just because he has the right to say what's on his mind doesn't mean he should . Saying things like how he is disappointed in Gyuri will not help SNJ's lawsuit in any way and only serves to divide Kamilias even more. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

Like they say.. no point crying over split milk... the lawsuit is already filed. They should have GIVEN IT A SERIOUS THOUGHT before filing anything and not blame anyone when things have reached this stage. It is simply not very fair to everyone.

I just feel that everyone in this case should do some self-reflection before they start accusing and putting the blame on everyone else. By expressing the 'disappointment' is implied blame from my point of view, just putting it across in a nicer way. This issue is blown out of proportion because some parties didn't think through hard and long enough...

The parents of the 3 and Landmark keep making statements and claims to sway public opinion toward their side. I understand why they are doing it, they are making a change to the status quo so they need to express their justification of that. If they don't have some of the public and fans on their side, their daughters won't have a career even if they win the lawsuit.

The reasons they have given so far are fear for safety and health of girls, incompetence of ceo's wife, loss of trust and deception, underpayment. Most of these claims have been effectively refuted by DSP in my opinion, at least to the effect that it is not worth breaking up Kara over it and 2 of the 5 girls's parents agree. It just doesn't make sense why the parents are taking this huge desperate gamble; as other posters have said even if they win, everybody still loses (it's cutting off your own nose to spite your face). If the parents of the 3 can't convince the fans and public of the real reason why they are so adamant and desperate to have their daughters leave, they should fail. The real reasons maybe have been already disclosed or maybe it is still hidden (like they hate they ceo's wife's guts, received an offer from somewhere else, they're just plain foolish/deluded, or have stubborn pride). I feel the 3 Parents are losing credibility is my eyes and in the court of public opinion until they're disclosed reasons start making sense. Until then their self-destructive behavior will continue and destroy Kara.

It's so frustrating because I cannot imagine the any of the 5 girls want this lawsuit, can you?

As we all know, the three members that filed for lawsuit all came from well-to-do families, so money is definitely not the highest on their priority list(SY's dad owns a sword-crafting factory, Nicole's mom owns a couple of business, JY's family is pretty rich as well). Probably the girls did complain about tough working hours and little pay that they got, but the parents probably took the lead in supporting them to bring the case up. Now why did Hara cancel the case straightaway then? Well, Hara came from Gwangju, and apparently her parents do not really care about her, giving her the full power to decide. In this case, she can only depend on herself and has no other alternative support. If she falls out with her company, that will probably spell the end of her career and she will be blacklisted, no doubt. So, she really has no choice. In Gyuri's case, we all know the heavy social responsibilities of a hallyu group leader. To add on to this, her mother has been working with DSP for a long time. Combining the two, while we can never know which side gyuri is truly on, we can all see that it is definitely difficult for her to support the other 3 girls.

Well, we can never truly know what really goes on, but just to give my 2 cents worth, this is my take on the whole event.

Edited by lordangelic