[2011.01.19] KARA

icyheart

Oh wow, this is all so messy........I'm just gonna wait till there's more news, anyway whatever we say isn't gonna matter.

it is not the fault of the japanese distributor (Universal Music Sigma Japan)because DSP agreed with it. SNSD is under Nayutawave Records, although a subsidary of Universal Music Japan, their operations are different.

Oh yeah, it is definitely their fault that the girls' parents are so riled up about the money issues. Even though it partially part of the problem that Kara is having with DSP, it's still ridiculous that the Japanese company got that much money and did not pay Kara one single cent of it. That's what it seems like to me, I have seen no proof so far that tells me that they gave any of their profits to Kara and seems like they instead kept all the money to themselves. And who knows? They probably put that portion of the contract in small print so that DSP would overlook it, I highly doubt DSP agreed to something like this knowing that the Japanese company would be keeping that much money for themselves. I really, really doubt it.

There's some big time corruption going on here and Kara is caught in the middle of it. I don't see how anyone can clearly reason that giving their distribution company over $15M without paying the artists a portion of it as well is fair at all. That's total BS. Maybe DSP was duped into signing that contract, who knows? All I know is that Kara has been swindled and their parents are furious about it. ><

Edited by Nyokou

I love you beatnix. I really do.

Thanks for the translations.. keep em coming !!

On topic, we shouldn't really assume that KARA will split up because of this little issue. I mean, what are the chances? In my eyes, compared to any other idol group in the world, they have the strongest bond between each other and that's what I love most about them. They never argue with each other.

Nyokou...

In defense of the record companies, many Korean, Japanese, and US entertainment companies have been steadily losing money for years due to illegal downloads and copying. Entertainers in Korea cannot rely on cd sales alone to survive anymore. That is why you see many singers appearing on Korean tv variety shows. They are hoping that the ppl who illegally download their will at least support them during their concerts or tv drama projects.

The following was written by Ellie from SEOULBEATS.COM wrote about Kara's uncertain future...:

The world of KPOP has been blasted with news that one of it

I guess I should rephrase my statement and say that both Universal and DSP are stealing money from the girls.

Now that I did the math... the girls only received 0.5% of the money that DSP got, which was like $2.7M, right? So that means each girl only got 0.1% of the profits that DSP got. Each girl only got 0.017% of the profits total out of $18M. Clearly the girls are getting robbed of their hard earned money. I guess their parents have a right to be pissed. Especially since they've been overworked to death and are continuing with non-stop activities.

I don't trust DSP anymore...

EDIT: Just posted my post at the same time you did, beatnix. I understand that there are a lot of people involved, but it doesn't make it any fairer that Kara gets paid so little, probably just a bit more than their songwriters even, when they are the ones constantly working hard to maintain their energy and be in a billion different places in one day. They work much harder than say... someone who takes a few hours to do their hair and makeup. A few hours of work is nothing compared to the strenuous physical activities that Kara does and has exhausted them since their debut in Japan. And sure, probably those $15M also goes towards promoting Kara, but would it hurt to given even a small percentage of it to the girls too?

I really don't know what else to say. I'm really torn right now. I can't decide now whether DSP/Universal are really evil or the girls' parents are being "greedy"... It's just too much right now, things need to be cleared up... I guess for now, I won't think about it anymore.

Edited by Nyokou

I guess I should rephrase my statement and say that both the Universal and DSP are stealing money from the girls.

Now that I did the math... the girls only received 0.5% of the money that DSP got, which was like $2.7M, right? So that means each girl only got 0.1% of the profits that DSP got. Each girl only got 0.017% of the profits total out of $18M. Clearly the girls are getting robbed of their hard earned money. I guess their parents have a right to be pissed. Especially since they've been overworked to death and are continuing with non-stop activities.

I value your opinion... However, Gyuri's mother who has been in the entertainment industry for decades and knows the business inside and out sat down with DSP and went over the contract and figures and decided to let Gyuri stay with DSP.

Let's not accuse anyone of stealing without knowing the whole story. Lets remember that it takes millions of dollars to train and prep idols for their debut. We should take that into consideration.

I value your opinion... However, Gyuri's mother who has been in the entertainment industry for decades and knows the business inside and out sat down with DSP and went over the contract and figures and decided to let Gyuri stay with DSP.

Let's not accuse anyone of stealing without knowing the whole story. Lets remember that it takes millions of dollars to train and prep idols for their debut. We should take that into consideration.

Yeah, I realize that, so right now I just won't think about it. I just hope the girls are talking with each other and their lawyers and parents and trying to resolve things... This is just a huge mess and ultimately, I'm just scared of the girls breaking up. Makes me sick to my stomach to think that something like this would happen at the peak of their career...

Having said that, I believe we can't assume anything about the future of KARA & DSP right now. All we can do is wait, and hope that everything will be fine later on.

I guess I should rephrase my statement and say that both Universal and DSP are stealing money from the girls.

EDIT: Just posted my post at the same time you did, beatnix. I understand that there are a lot of people involved, but it doesn't make it any fairer that Kara gets paid so little, probably just a bit more than their songwriters even, when they are the ones constantly working hard to maintain their energy and be in a billion different places in one day. They work much harder than say... someone who takes a few hours to do their hair and makeup. A few hours of work is nothing compared to the strenuous physical activities that Kara does and has exhausted them since their debut in Japan. And sure, probably those $15M also goes towards promoting Kara, but would it hurt to given even a small percentage of it to the girls too?

I really don't know what else to say. I'm really torn right now. I can't decide now whether DSP/Universal are really evil or the girls' parents are being "greedy"... It's just too much right now, things need to be cleared up... I guess for now, I won't think about it anymore.

We are all hurt and confused... However let's ride this thing out together without disrespecting Kara or DSP.

I am sure that the girls received more than $3000 each... DSP is responsible for launching the career of Lee Hyori (highest paid female entertainer in Korea). The girls are still young and ambitious. When their contract ends in a few years, they could renegotiate with DSP or any other entertainment group for a bigger salary. Let's not forget that DSP stood by the girls when they had a uneventful debut.

*update*

Sorry didn't realize you posted a response

Edited by beatnix

please, don't be like a falling star that burned out very quickly. my tears falling down when i read the news, honestly! :crying:

with or without DSP, KARA must stay as a one solid group! hope all of this problem is ended with happy ending... (praying mode: on)

UPDATED:

i think it's more clear now, thanks for the info...

Edited by nameless07

True, I guess really it must be hard for them to pay them so little because they need to keep the rest of the money to afford new equipment, plane rides, food, etc. So the money they keep really isn't going to waste, it's to help the girls live comfortably as idols. I guess when you look at it that way, it's DSP spending the money on them but also like giving them spending money for other stuff. Anyway, now I want to point a finger at the company that tried approaching the girls' parents in the first place... But I'll keep quiet for now, until there's more news.

I don't think there will be any more news until tomorrow or perhaps a few days though. Well, let's hope it gets resolved fast. I just started becoming active on Karaholic, it's a shame to see something like this happening now. And I thought this was going to be a good year, but... seems like it's been pretty bad so far...

:(

please, don't be like a falling star that burned out very quickly. my tears falling down when i read the news, honestly! :crying:

with or without DSP, KARA must stay as a one solid group! hope all of this problem is ended with happy ending... (praying mode: on)

and may i ask politely why GyuRi does not know anything 'bout this like what her said? hm...

I think that Gyuri knew that some of the parents were having issues with the pay and workload, but I don't think she thought it would lead to all of this.

The following article is about how Goo Hara is being considered a savior by the netizens. She stated that she could never betray the CEO Lee Ho Yeon while he was hospitalized. Hara is grateful that DSP plucked her out and made her a star. Netizens are also getting behind Gyuri and Hara's decision stating that it is a noble and loyal act. Netizens are also scrutinizing, and turning their backs on Nicole, Seungyeon, and Jiyoung's decisions to part ways for selfish reasons.

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=ent1&idxno=2011011921201517553

Thanks again for the translation.

Those 'netizens' are not looking at things from a different perspective. Cole, ham and jing are also humans and they have their rights. They are in no position to criticize them like that. They should put themselves in their shoes before even talking..

DSP! Get your act together! You have been building up successful groups, only to lose them when they are rising. What happened? If you put me in charge, I will purge all the selfish and short-sighted incompetents from the exco. Think of the millions of dollars you have let slipped through your fingers from what you have been doing! It is still not too late with Kara, your only main revenue source now, from what I read. Who would want to kill their goose that lays the golden eggs? Save the day! Get Kara back, no matter what it takes!

Even though it partially part of the problem that Kara is having with DSP, it's still ridiculous that the Japanese company got that much money and did not pay Kara one single cent of it.

japanese company doesn't pay kara. DSP does. if the thing about 85/15 is true, DSP should have negotiated the profit division in the first place before they signed the deal. you can call it very witty because the japanese company might offered something to kara and dsp in exchange for an unfair contract (e.g free food, house, massive media exposure for kara, new sound sytem for dsp etc.). note that this deal is only for the cd profits and looking at the whole music industry now, artists really don't make much from cd sales. their other activities is paid fairly based on the articles.

i seriously dont know what to think now..... so im not going to say much about this. right now i just want kara to say something about this and be honest with us (:

omg. 9 pages in less than 1 day. i guess this is the "shock effect"??

The following article is about how Nicole's mother may be responsible for instigating the current dilemma for the Kara members and the management.

Rumors have been circulating that one of the member's mother became upset with the pay the girls have been receiving for their recent Japanese activities. The mother in question apparently contacted other parents for multiple meetings concerning the pay.

http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/spn/NewsRead.asp?newsid=01643286596119360&SCD=EA2&DCD=A00603

WHY ???? why when KARA at the TOP ! this news coming out ????

just made Kamilia frustate and sad !!

i hope they wont split !!!! i dont want they end like TVXQ !

oh man it's very bad, if DSP and Kara really embrace each other again, I guess the trust could never be regained. Or worse still, DSP may sideline them for new groups. On the other hand, they may a much better deal and more respect in the company. After all, Ayumi Hamasaki did threaten to leave her company before she got a much better deal..