[2011.01.19] KARA

icyheart

My personal feeling is that DSP is not the villain here. No one is. The situation is caused by a "misunderstanding" because the parents are not experts in the entertainment business. DSP has been very loyal and patient with the girls even after their Luke warm 2007 debut, and member changes. News report reported that in 2010 each member made about $300,000 ($1,500,000 collectively) and is expected to earn $500,000 ($2,500,000 collectively) in 2011. That's not a small sum. Highest paid entertainers like Yoo Jae Suk and Lee Hyori each make only about $8-900,000 per year. Parents being parents will go into a automatic defense mode when it comes to protecting their children. I truly feel this is a small problem due to communication failue. I think that if the girls would/could have voiced their displeasures to the management without getting the parents involved it would not have escalated to the situation we are currently in. Of course I am not blaming Kara for this debacle because, most likely the problem lies within the Korean social structure. In Korea it is frowned upon to talk back, or question your superior, senior, or elder. If Kara could have collectively voiced their opinion, and displeasure openly to DSP before the parents, and lawyers got involved this problem would not have spun out of control.

Truthly if Nicole out of KARA

i will become KARA and all the artist in DSP antifans no matter what !!!!

this is made me sad !!!

if DSP cant handle such thing how they gonna handle KARA in future ???

this company is too dissapointed...

they cant just kick NICOLE out!! she also the one who made KARA become one of big group...

if they lost one member then there is NO KARA !!!

My personal feeling is that DSP is not the villain here. No one is. The situation is caused by a "misunderstanding" because the parents are not experts in the entertainment business. DSP has been very loyal and patient with the girls even after their Luke warm 2007 debut, and member changes. News report reported that in 2010 each member made about $300,000 ($1,500,000 collectively) and is expected to earn $500,000 ($2,500,000 collectively) in 2011. That's not a small sum. Highest paid entertainers like Yoo Jae Suk and Lee Hyori each make only about $8-900,000 per year. Parents being parents will go into a automatic defense mode when it comes to protecting their children. I truly feel this is a small problem due to communication failue. I think that if the girls would/could have voiced their displeasures to the management without getting the parents involved it would not have escalated to the situation we are currently in. Of course I am not blaming Kara for this debacle because, most likely the problem lies within the Korean social structure. In Korea it is frowned upon to talk back, or question your superior, senior, or elder. If Kara could have collectively voiced their opinion, and displeasure openly to DSP before the parents, and lawyers got involved this problem would not have spun out of control.

That is very well said, it's just that there's so many things to consider about, on one hand you want to voice out on the other you don't want to be rude, it's just very messy in asian culture, I'm just glad I got to break away from it. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The following news article contains a interview with Kara's lawyer Mr.Hong. He answers some questions concerning the future of Kara.

Mr.Hong states that everyone involved wishes for Kara to remain 5. He also states that replacing even 1 member is not an option. Mr.Hong restated that if all their conditions are met Kara may stay with DSP however, under the current conditions the 3 girls haven't ruled out changing agencies.

*I almost forgot to add that Mr.Hong believes that the bond between the girls are as strong as ever and, restated that this is not a problem between the girls.

He also cleared up a rumor concerning Hammy. When asked if the rumors were true about her returning to DSP, Mr.Hong stated that was not true.

http://news.donga.com/Enter/3/09/20110122/34290067/1

ahhh im really glad that they wanted to stay together and i really hope hammie, cole and jing can sort this out quickly. ive been refreshing AKP's page for the whole day, waiting for KARA's update. hearing ur update makes me feel better :)

It's what you expect when what's promoted as the real reason is only the public front put up in order to gain support for themselves. Where are the explanation? How does saying 'DSP is unprofessional', without backing it up, constitue grounds for all this. Are they really concerned with the management not being 'experts', or are they taking adventage of the fact that they're not experts, without even saying anything about how they are unproffesional. The company seems to have done rather well for the girls, and seems to have made good decisions. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if I'm not, then the fact that the manager isn't a proffessional in the field is irrelevant, they have done the job rather well... I understand that lawyers have their own agendas, and that they will always misuse and manipulate the facts, but just the fact that they will do it doesn't justify it. The parents can't let themselves be manipulated (even among themselves), as they are now, if they're concerned for their daughters wellfare, as I'm sure they are...

ok you have said in a few words what I still couldn't find the words to day in like five paragraphs lol.

I'm totally confused know. After reading the article of Cole's mum n Mr j. It seems like everybody is saying something different. Coz from what Mr Hong said it sounded like they were coming to a conclusion. But now I'm not to sure. I don't mean to be rude against cole's mum but she should really just stay quit. Coz the stuff she says and the that losing her temper isn't helping her duagther's image.

I'm really getting annoyed know coz I'm sick and tired of hearing what other people think and there opinions. It's like the 4th day. I just really want to directly through a press conference of what the 5 girl have discussed and are going to do. An not through the perant, lawyer or DSP.

I'm totally confused know. After reading the article of Cole's mum n Mr j. It seems like everybody is saying something different. Coz from what Mr Hong said it sounded like they were coming to a conclusion. But now I'm not to sure. I don't mean to be rude against cole's mum but she should really just stay quit. Coz the stuff she says and the that losing her temper isn't helping her duagther's image.

I'm really getting annoyed know coz I'm sick and tired of hearing what other people think and there opinions. It's like the 4th day. I just really want to directly through a press conference of what the 5 girl have discussed and are going to do. An not through the perant, lawyer or DSP.

Check the news box and don't believe in AllKpop <_<

Basically, the whole 'J' thing is to do with Nicole's mum's actions being indicative of her being behind all this more than the other parents (to be fair to her, we can't treat her like some Brilliant evil mastermind. If she was that, she wouldn't have made the mistakes she made, she would have been more clever in her actions..), and the netizens conclusing that her friendship with 'J' might be the real reason behind all this (That 'J' company is putting her up to all this).. Regardless of whether this is true, people should stop ATTACKING her, and especially Nicole and the members. The girls are not at fault! What idiotic logic leads people to the conclusion that Nicole or KARA is to blame for this? Criticise if you want, constructively, but yuou hve no right to attack. We should all give them a little space to work things out. I agree with you, the girls need to have a say, but the problem between the parents and the company needs to be worked out too, otherwise the girls will always be stuck between two hostile sides...

I have high hopes that they won't split up.

I believe in those girls.

Seungyeon will protect them.

If they will leave DSP, at least, LEAVE AS A GROUP!

:((( I'LL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE ON IF THEY SPLIT UP. *+*

juz want to ask if allkpop is giving the correct information or not

i have been observing the situation since the incident started

when i read the information from AKP it sound like the blame has been pushed around from dsp to the parents and now some unknown guy j

i reall y hope that this incident will end quickly with a good ending

imo, the lawsuit will not be dropped unless everyone sit down in harmony & workout a resolution peacefully. & everytime before they start an argument, a meeting ordinator should remind them to relook at their main objective which is "give their life back".

sometimes to win is not always to gain but to give.

I believe there is blame on both sides. On one side, we have the parents who did not handle conveying their concerns over their children's health appropriately. On the other hand, we have a company, although successful in the results, has a history of poor management.

It was evident that the girls were tired. If you look at the recent months, we saw more grins on their faces than smile, and this is particularly evident in Jings who is usually always smiling and being a girl of her age (I had mentioned that in a previous post about 2 months ago...). So, it was inevitable that something would happen, either them collapsing or protesting...the latter won.

I like the idea of the Korean entertainment agency serving as a third party. They desire human rights-based contracts and schedules, whatever success they have, they could not last on such a schedule. Frankly, I see success in a long run and not in the short run, unfortunately that's not music agency's motto...And I hope this Korean entertainment agency would find a compromise on that.

That's basically all I have to say about this. I don't blame anyone, although I am disappointed in the way Kara sans-Gyuri handled their protestation. They should have resolved it as a group BEFORE bringing the parents on it...Sad that they didn't think though...I remember what Ham's father said about his daughter calling him crying...Of course a parent would be devastated by such behaviour...SY is not a kid, she should've thought of how her behaviour could influence her parents, same thing probably for Nicole...but I know it is difficult especially where you are emotionally and physically exhausted...Anyway, I stop talking before I say something that I shouldn't. And that is self-censure, which people in this case should learn of...

Finally, I am really concerned of KARA's future. Right now it looks quite gloomy...I hope that future statements and actions would be strategically calculated, maturally-conveyed, and more importantly considering all parties.

Edited by sarah09

That's basically all I have to say about this. I don't blame anyone, although I am disappointed in the way Kara sans-Gyuri handled their protestation. They should have resolved it as a group BEFORE bringing the parents on it...Sad that they didn't think though...I remember what Ham's father said about his daughter calling him crying...Of course a parent would be devastated by such behaviour...SY is not a kid, she should've thought of how her behaviour could influence her parents, same thing probably for Nicole...but I know it is difficult especially where you are emotionally and physically exhausted...

I believe that what Mr. Han mentioned about Seungyeon crying over the phone was that she was crying over how this situation had gone out of control. I don't think Mr. Han mentioned that she cried over the phone because of how DSP was treating her.

Also, we still don't know how exactly this whole situation began in the first place, so I think it's a bit early to say that the girls didn't handle the situation correctly. We're still not even sure if this is what the girls wanted. Maybe the girls did want to handle this differently but someone else (one of their parents, or maybe Landmark) decided to jump the gun and press on in this way. And we still don't know the exact details as to how the parents got involved. Maybe the girls never really asked their parents to get involved; maybe the parents got involved on their own, independently of whatever the girls were doing.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant or to argue; I just think it's premature to point fingers at any of the girls. Pointing fingers at DSP, Landmark, the parents, and others at this point in time is quite alright because these are the people that we have actually seen directly involved in this conflict; but with regards to the girls themselves we know almost nothing.

^I disagree. Everyone is to blame. Believing that Kara are innocent little girls who are paying the price for their parents suing on their behalf for no particular reason, for nothing that they have told them or that they have let their parents witness does not make sense. And in order for KARA to learn anything from this incident, they need to reflect upon each other's role in this mess and hopefully learn a lesson.

Everything must have started with them and DSP. We are aware of how things aren't so well at DSP. As for KARA, I don't know any parents who would just make such a decision without any real reasons, only people with serious mental health issues would and I don't think that's how we are perceiving KARA's parents. However, what I believe is as any parents it could have been an exaggerated response, which most parents have when they are concerned over their child. That's natural instinct there and my point is KARA (sans-Gyuri) knew their parents and therefore could have handled communication better with them to not let things escalate. SY's dad made that comment and it was in relation to the lawsuit...he wouldn't have said that if it weren't in relation to how tired SY was and if we look at the context in which he made those words, it was indeed in the context of Kara being busy and really tired.

But there are also some cultural and gender-related issues with this...Personally, if I felt that my parents wronged me, I would have made sure that KARA meets and resolves the issue between members, writes down exactly what they wanted from DSP, conveys it to DSP, and if DSP does not agree, that's when the parents are involved - and only for what KARA as a whole agreed upon...which is not what happened here...

I am gonna say something that may not please some but it strangely reminds me of what happened in 2007 with Sunghee...A parent got involved months after their debut in Korea...now, months after their debut in Japan, parents again are involved...It must mean that a lesson was not learned from the last time...

Anyways, I'll wait the end to it...hopefully, there would be one...

Edited by sarah09

^

i agree the 5 are to take some degree of blame but i don't understand the relation between the 2 incidents. not saying there isn't but there're many implications since the real truths are never made known. things looking from outside are always different when seeing from inside.

^I disagree. Everyone is to blame. Believing that Kara are innocent little girls who are paying the price for their parents suing on their behalf for no particular reason, for nothing that they have told them or that they have let their parents witness does not make sense.

I never said the girls are not to blame. What I said is that it is too early to conclude such a thing. You may reread my previous post to confirm this.

^I disagree. Everyone is to blame. Believing that Kara are innocent little girls who are paying the price for their parents suing on their behalf for no particular reason, for nothing that they have told them or that they have let their parents witness does not make sense. And in order for KARA to learn anything from this incident, they need to reflect upon each other's role in this mess and hopefully learn a lesson.

Everything must have started with them and DSP. We are aware of how things aren't so well at DSP. As for KARA, I don't know any parents who would just make such a decision without any real reasons, only people with serious mental health issues would and I don't think that's how we are perceiving KARA's parents. However, what I believe is as any parents it could have been an exaggerated response, which most parents have when they are concerned over their child. That's natural instinct there and my point is KARA (sans-Gyuri) knew their parents and therefore could have handled communication better with them to not let things escalate. SY's dad made that comment and it was in relation to the lawsuit...he wouldn't have said that if it weren't in relation to how tired SY was and if we look at the context in which he made those words, it was indeed in the context of Kara being busy and really tired.

But there are also some cultural and gender-related issues with this...Personally, if I felt that my parents wronged me, I would have made sure that KARA meets and resolves the issue between members, writes down exactly what they wanted from DSP, conveys it to DSP, and if DSP does not agree, that's when the parents are involved - and only for what KARA as a whole agreed upon...which is not what happened here...

I am gonna say something that may not please some but it strangely reminds me of what happened in 2007 with Sunghee...A parent got involved months after their debut in Korea...now, months after their debut in Japan, parents again are involved...It must mean that a lesson was not learned from the last time...

Anyways, I'll wait the end to it...hopefully, there would be one...

Ad on what grounds do you make that judgement. Why are they not "innocent little girls" that bear no guilt for this? Do you recognize the fact that it is the parents that are the ones that deal with DSP when it comes to money. That the Gyuri (and Hara, too) clearly stated she had no idea why this happened; That one of them is a minor, and that unlike what you might do, these girls have don't find saying 'back off' to their parents and easy thing to do. Why are you even a fan (assuming you are, otherwise why are you here), if without any evidence condemning the girls, you turn on them. I, by no means, suggest that the blind 'loyalty' of some fans that blame others for their idols faults, is the right thing to do, But blaming the idol, when there is no reason to believe they are to blame, and, especially if you are their fan, is just ridiculous.

You seem to selected bits of opinions coming from all sides, and put them together into something that non only has no backing, but is also self contradicting.

PLENTY of parents make decisions such as these without consulting their children. That's even more so when the children are so busy that you hardly see them, and when you don't fully appreciate the the consequences. All seems to suggest that the parents, quite possibly very convinced by their lawyers' assurances, expected to quickly win the media war, and have their pick at what they want the outcome to be. That wasn't the case, as we see.

Um, yes, I'm sure all the girls "knew their parents", but what are you trying to say? You say the girls were tired (not that this was, at all, the cause for this situation)? Well, obviously, all idols are, but what is your point? Are you trying to say that the girls were tired, so their parents saw it, and the lawsuit happened, and therefore, the girls are to blame for making their tiredness known (in other words, they are guilty because they might at some point mentioned to their parents that they were tired (or, looked tired)?)? IS THIS A JOKE?

And do you notice the contradiction? You seem to say that tiredness is a justified cause for this, but that the girls should have made sure that their parents didn't notice it (or start a lawsuit because of it)... In other words, you are essentially saying that the lawsuit IS justified, but you are against it (not due to any moral reasons, but, presumably because you like the group and want them to remain), and blame the girls for it? Contradicting, unfair, unreasonable, illogical... I don't even know what to call this.

This is all ignoring the fact that THE LAWSUIT DIDN'T START BECAUSE OF TIREDNESS! And who says that the girls either had some thing to "convey to DSP", or, for that matter, if they had, they didn't convey? No one, and nothing says or suggests that. It's without a doubt that there were points of disagreement between all parties, but it is almost certain at this point that the timing of the Landmark's first statement, it's contents, and it's inflammatory nature, point very strongly to money being the main issue, and it being an issue between those that deal with it (i.e. DSP and the parents). If t-shirts were the issue, this would have happened long ago. Not suggesting that DSP was correct in that case, OR that they were without fault, but it's pretty clear that the parents (seemingly, under Nicole's mother's leadership, Landmark's expertise, and, maybe even, a rival company incentive), felt certain they would win (whatever that meant for them; perhaps just scaring DSP into accepting their demands, or cutting ties with them), and went a little premature into all this..

"I am gonna say something that may not please some but it strangely reminds me of what happened in 2007 with Sunghee...A parent got involved months after their debut in Korea...now, months after their debut in Japan, parents again are involved...It must mean that a lesson was not learned from the last time..."

Okay, apart from a member/members potentially leaving the company, I see no similarity. I think she wanted to 'study more'. KARA, in 2007, was a group virtually a step away from disbandment (most other companies WOULD have disbanded them); KARA in 2010 is one of the most powerful groups in the industry. And as for the timing, I don't quite see what you mean. I hardly see the relevance. And as for 'learning a lesson': what lesson would that be?

^I do not believe that they had "no idea" what happened apart from the lawsuit itself. Perhaps it was a premature act from their parents but I do not believe that the parents went to DSP without their knowledge of it and/or that they had no idea of even their parents meeting about this. I also do not believe that there are little innocent girls with no bearing of it all. I would not belittle or even disempower them to be as such. The only person that may fit in this category would perhaps be Jiyoung but SY is how old to be categorized as a little innocent girl with no insight or judgment? At her age and I am talking about insight, maturity, and the ability to have judgment and convey thoughts and feelings which are well developed. At that age, everyone knows how to deal with their parents. I am not saying that they should have lied, that's not what I am saying but a mature adult knows how to deal with their struggles first before bringing in their parents in the mix. That's what Minwoo from Shinwa said and I absolutely agree with him. That's an evidence of maturity, learning to deal with and fight for your struggles without needing mommy and daddy to act as saviours and definitely jeopardizing it all. It's a parent going after their child's employer because they have heard from their child of being overworked and the child is not a child anymore (and I am not talking about Jiyoung here). Or a child having a problem with one professor in college who is giving too much work and is quite disorganized with the lecture and the parent going after the professor? Or even a child being selected for a major league football at college and the parents feel their child is overworked and does not trust the football team, although that team has had a remarkable season, would the parents go and sue the football team on behalf of their college-aged child? Does that even make sense?

And yes, as I had mentioned before there are extenuating circumstances of them beeing so busy that they did not realize the weight of their words and/or their behaviours impacting their parents. In addition, as I had again mentioned above, there are cultural and gender-related differences which played a role too. I never negated these factors as they clearly influence how one would respond, act, or go about any given situation. But, I still believe everyone is to blame here, DSP, KARA, and their parents.

I think the first lesson would be for them to learn how to convey their opinions to DSP. Have scheduled meetings like another female groups to address internal and external conflicts, and strategize on how to make sure that their voices are heard. That is the mature, most efficacious way to go here. They should have been the one contacting a lawyer if needed and resolving this mess. I just can't fathom allowing my parents to have so much control over my professional life. Another lesson: knowing how you say things to your parents so that they do not feel the need to act on your behalf.

Edited by sarah09