Summary & Timeline of KARA's Crisis

hasomy

It's almost a week since the news broke out and started this crisis.
Since many rumors, news and articles have come out and made the whole situation become chaotic and confusing, Yoo and I decided to summarize all the events/news into this timeline.
Hopefully this will help us Kamilias to follow the issue with less confusions.

Note:
1. We only include information which comes from official statement from both parties or the girls themselves, or from trusted source.

2. Irrelevant or not directly related information will not be included.

3. Full translation of articles (if available) will still be posted in separated thread in News Box. This thread will just contains the summaries.

4. This first post will be used as an index.

Summary & Timeline of KARA's crisis

2011.01.20 (will be updated later)
2011.01.22 and 2011.01.23 (will be updated later)
2011.01.25 Update 1 || 2011.01.25 Update 2 || 2011.01.25 Update 3
2011.01.27 Update 1 || 2011.01.27 Update 2

Details of the requests/demands of the 3 members

Summary & Timeline since the lawsuit

2011.02.19 to 2011.02.25

2011.04.28-29 Happy Ending

by Yoo + hasomy @karaholic
take.out.with.full.credit

• Like 2

- The incident officially happened: four members except Gyuri informed that they wanted to terminate the contract with DSP

- During the announcement, the news always reported the parents' statements, led people to wonder why the members were not free to speak up for themselves. Actually, both Nicole and Jiyoung are still minors in South Korea, so they need to have legal guardians. And all four parents agreed to choose Landmark Law Company to be their representative.

- Seunyeon and Hara returned from Thailand and was closely followed at the airport. It is reported that Hara had a shocked expression when receiving reports about the incident when she just got off the plane. Maybe she did not expect this to be put into a legal issue so fast.

- Reporter interviewed Gyuri. She mentioned that he knew absolutely nothing about the current situation. This could be a temporary answer to avoid further complicating the situation, but the press made a big deal out of it and said that Gyuri was isolated in the group.

- Reporters came to KARA's dorm. When checking the mail box, they saw a letter to Hara has not been taken. Nobody answered the door when they rang the bell either. Neighbors said the group had packed up and gone a few days ago, Gyuri even came here with her father. The apartment manager said that he asked the moving helpers about it and they said that the members moved back to their personal houses. Other people say that KARA moved little by little and all 5 together so they thought KARA was completely moving to another dorm.

- DSP immediately went right to trademark the name of KARA when this incident happened. A patent browser further revealed that DSP Media also requested to trademark other 85 different clauses regarding KARA on December 7th, 2010.

- Gyuri's parents said that they completely had trust in DSP. There is also a rumor saying that Gyuri’s father is a DSP’s shareholders.

- Some people in the industry said that they had known about the conflict between KARA and DSP long before the incident actually happened.

- Seungyeon's father talked to her on the phone and she cried a lot. Seungyeon did not think it would turn out like this.

- On the afternoon of January 19th, DSP informed that they have met the parents of Gyuri and Hara. Soon after, Hara returned to DSP. Immediately rumors said that Hara got dragged / influenced and KARA has internal problems.

Collected from various sources

• Like 1

- DSP revealed that both Gyuri and Hara did not want KARA to disband.

- Immediately after that, Landmarrk also clearly expressed HamColeJing's wish for KARA to work with all 5 members.

- DSP stated that the members received 80% of karaya's profit.

- Hara's aunt grandma passed away, she immediately returned to Gwangju.

- Representative of the 3 members had a press conference and announced the 3 demands/requests to DSP.

- The 3 members said that all conflict began to rise when DSP changed its head manager in March 2010. DSP is currently controlled by the wife of former president Lee Hoyeon.

- All rumors targeted Nicole's mother, and said that she is the sources of all problems.

- The person who is rumored to be the one standing behind KARA spoke up. The press called him Mr. J, but at this time his real identity has not been disclosed. What people knew was that he is a friend of Nicole's mother (used to live in the same apartment building as Nicole’s family in the U.S. and are currently running the business at aura the Grill with Nicole's mother) and is a major figure in the entertainment industry. Mr.J which initially confused the press actually is Mr. Jung Taewon, CEO of Taewon Entertainment specializing in cinematography. The reason for mistaking the 2 together because they have the same last name J and both are producers for the film "Iris".

- Representative said that KARA has planned to go to Japan for the filming on January 25 of their drama UraKARA. However, date of departure has not been set for any member.

- 4pm KST, Jiyoung’s father and Nicole’s mother came to Landmark’s office to discuss. No one from Seungyeon’s side was present. However, they did not make any new decision.

- Parents of the three members will have a meeting with DSP representative at 10am KST on January 25 to continue the negotiation.

- Currently, there is another character introduced into the issue, Mr. A. He is a former staff of DSP, KARA’s former manager since their rookie (beginning) days. He has stopped working for DSP and has opened his own company. One of the 5 members said that she completely trusted Mr. A and could assign everything to him (to take care of).

- Through a talk with Newsen, Mr. A stated, “The 3 members have contacted and talked to me. About how to remain in DSP and still solve the problems, I might be able to help with that. However, there are things that I cannot help because I am no longer in DSP. Anyway, the relationship between me and KARA are very deep, so I hope good results will come.”

thanks so much for putting this together a timeline of the news will surely help a lot ^* u Duo are jjang <3 !! cant wait to hear more of Mr.A hope his help makes things easier or so or something !! KARA JJANG KARA KARA KARA !!! <3

wow! thanks Yoo & Hasomy a lot for hard working. Too much information and I just can not trust any information source. This summary helped me so much. Thanks again!

thanks a lot hasomy and Yoo for summarize all the facts happens during this couple of days

at times like these, you know you only could rely on fellow Kamilias for trustworthy news ^_^

I agree :)

thanks so much for everything you guys have done.. it can be really confusing but we can trust our fellow Kamilia :)

This is really what we need with all these wrong articles make me confused, the are things I never heard before.. Thanks a lot Yoo and Hasomy! You guys rock!! Hopefully good news will come soon and all this chaos end.

Edited by ☆Iam7248☆

what is this crisis that happened?

I have trouble getting on Karaholic where I am because the imense amount of memory it takes up. So I rely on outside sources to inform me of news. But noone will tell me what actually happened, just that something happened. What happened? And thanks for organizing stuff.

Feb 2011 - KARA reunites, resolves differences with DSP, resumes activities, dominates KPOP.

*crosses fingers* plz come true

Amen to that!! That would exacty be what should and will happen.

IN KARA WE TRUST

- January 24, Seungyeon’s parents, Nicole’s mother and Jiyoung’s father have met reporters from Hankooki at a hotel in Kangnam, Seoul; and said about the plans for KARA to resume their activities in both domestic and overseas, especially in Japan. All three parents emphasized, “Above all, we cannot betray the loves of fans for the kids.”

- In this interview, the 3 parents also emphasized, “We did NOT meet to ask for a raise in the ratio of profit distribution to 5/5 or 6/4 or anything like that. We have never asked for extra money. The meeting was to discuss the future activities of the kids.”

- On the same day, DSP also expressed, “The most important thing right now is to maintain KARA.” In the interview with Hankooki, DSP Media stated, “At 10 am tomorrow morning, we will have a meeting with the three members and parents. And based on the results of this meeting, we will decide how for the members to return. Nothing is as important as the 5 members of KARA continue to work together at the moment.”

- Since this case arose, all schedules are canceled. Only the drama uraKARA is arranged so that the members can still participate in filming. January 22 was actually scheduled for uraKARA filming but it got canceled. In this week, if they cannot resume the filming, they will not be able to continue to broadcast the film.

- Universal Japan said that they were having confusion and difficulties in arranging the schedule for KARA. No matter what problem KARA has with the management company, KARA is under Universal in Japan, so the company hopes that KARA will comply with the planed schedules (this is the reason why KARA continue the filming of uraKARA)

- DSP said the location of today’s meeting was not disclosed and they are trying to find the best results. A large crowd of both Korean and Japanese journalists ha stood in front of the DSP’s headquarters since early morning.

- Lawyers representing the 3 members said that the two parties will meet in Kangnam, and the 3 members’ side will make requests to DSP. He further revealed, “This time the conditions/requests are no longer given through me. These conditions include the three parents want to change the highest executive of DSP, the wife of the former CEO Lee Hoyeon, and replace the management system.”

- According to Mydaily, participants of the conference include the 3 members, the 3 parents, their lawyers and DSP representatives. The meeting lasted an hour.

- Lawyers said, “Representatives of the DSP after listening to the requests immediately said 'I do not have the authority to handle this. We will further think about this 'and said they would provide answers to the 3 members’ party at
6pm today
.” He also announced “The meeting today officially was for the 3 members to make their requests, however, they also wanted to hear the stance of DSP on this case. Within today, we are planning to announce what the two parties have consulted.”

- DSP expressed, “We have received the conditions/requests, now we are in time for consideration and discussion within the company.”