[2015.04.05] 'Roommate' to end on the 14th + follow-up program undecided

Jappy

n2ItLYv.jpg

'Roommate' will be coming to an end.

SBS told TV Report, "'Roommate 2' will end on the 14th. There is nothing decided on the following program." There had been talks about a 3rd season, but all the talks have been halted. SBS said, "We wanted to change the house, members, and format through 'Roommate 3', but we've decided to look at it later."

Are you sad to see the variety show end?

Source: Allkpop

• Like 1

No way..I was just beginning to enjoy watching the episodes and finally catching up with the last few (episodes 22-24). Sad to hear this as it will be difficult to replace the current cast members with new faces. No one can ever

duplicate nor be the same as Youngji and the others.  Youngji has done a great job with this show:refreshed: 

• Like 2

No one can ever duplicate nor be the same as Youngji and the others.  Youngji has done a great job with this show.

Youngji has been very entertaining to watch from the first episode. The problem with the show is that most of the episodes are simply dead boring. When they go out to do something, there may be a chance of something nice happening, but when those never-heard/don't-care guests come to the house and we are supposed to watch them for an hour, it really takes some effort to watch to the end of that episode. And even some of the cast have been disappointing. I mean like Sunny... she used to be a source of endless entertainment in many earlier (SNSD) tv shows. But in Roommate, she has barely been visible... and all the entertaining Sunny moments have been because of Youngji (aegyo battle, credit card incident, etc.).

So the format of Roommate really needs some improvement, hopefully they keep some of the existing elements (mainly Youngji) and can have a format that works better. Maybe they should give those roommates some game-show-like tasks, even if that is not something they would do on their own (and as such, "unreal").

• Like 1

@ KARAda, upon reading your posts (above). I totally agree with you. After the Regal/MJ donkey episodes (21-22), things have quieted down. I also agree with you 110% about Sunny from Girl's Generation. She definitely made the Invincible Youth Seasons 1 & 2 more entertaining and exciting from 2009-2012. It is ashame that Roommate will go in a different direction now, but for better or for worse?  :blush: 

I think KBS should focus on making Invincible Youth for a new season with several new girl groups coming into the picture. Crossing my fingers for this to happen for a new season of Invincible Youth (if it ever will occur or be produced) at a different location (Hongcheon-Gun in Season 1, Daebu Island in Season 2). In fact, both locations has reported increased tourism after the airing of those episodes during those years.  :facepalm: 

It was nice to see Youngji get to play and be herself on the show.  I'm sure she will always miss being part of that family and remember them fondly just like Hara does with Invincible Youth.  She was one of the main stars from this season, so i don't think she should have any regrets.  

The show definitely needs an overhaul tho.  It had no direction at all the second half of the season and was downright dull most of the time.  My biggest complaint with the show however is the laugh track.  No sane person laughs that much.  I felt like i was in an asylum, with the constant laughter while nothing funny was happening.  I wish i could fire the person in charge of that, lol.

.  My biggest complaint with the show however is the laugh track.  No sane person laughs that much.  I felt like i was in an asylum, with the constant laughter while nothing funny was happening.  I wish i could fire the person in charge of that, lol.

the reason for the laugh track:

"We're much more likely to laugh at something funny in the presence of other people," says Bill Kelley, a psychology professor at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H, who has studied the brain's response to humor. Hearing others laugh -- even if it's prerecorded -- can encourage us to chuckle and enjoy ourselves more. In fact, a 1974 study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology showed that people were more likely to laugh at jokes that were followed by canned laughter.

But....

when done poorly, he admits, you notice a laugh track and it seems unnatural and out of place.

since air time slot change, rating of roommate is going down and down...

i like the idea of this show, but not with the concept...

and i agree many people said that is guest house..

but im very sad if i cant watch youngji every week again T_T

the reason for the laugh track:

"We're much more likely to laugh at something funny in the presence of other people," says Bill Kelley

when done poorly, he admits, you notice a laugh track and it seems unnatural and out of place.

Actually making the laugh track unnatural is part of its charm. I mean, how can anyone not be amused hearing the "audience" shout "wooooooo" when, for instance, Kramer enters the episode for the first time in Seinfeld. Laugh tracks are an artform as such, I think, and they can well be a reason for rewatching some show one more time.

The problem with Roommate is that it is supposed to be a peephole into the normal life (yeah, right...) of those people. A laugh track can be distracting in that context, at least it makes the whole thing move one notch towards a scripted show, rather than being "reality". Personally I don't mind hearing it, as it often adds to the sarcastic on-screen texts that have been added during post-production, but it really feels somewhat unncessary, if observing the "real life" is supposed to be rewarding to the viewers as such.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...